ClubAdventist is back!

Virginia-Gene Shankel Rittenhouse

Jeannieb43

• Moderators

Virginia-Gene Shankel Rittenhouse, founding director of the New England Youth Ensemble, died August 30, 2011 at the age of 89.

She traveled with her orchestra to many of the countries of the world, and most of the states of the U.S. She gave concerts in New York's Carnegie Hall several times each season.

Her full biography can be found at IAMAOnline.com, under the heading Adventist Musicians.

Jeannie<br /><br /><br />...Change is inevitable; growth is optional....

• Members

Sad to hear that she past away. I didn't know her that well, my wife did know her some what. Her husband was an excellent Dr, I believe he was a surgeon?, before his accident. She did have some controversy in her career at AUC, but I believe it was blown out of proportion. She will definitely be missed by many. I believe also she was the sister to Fagal?

phkrause

By the decree enforcing the institution of the papacy in violation of the law of God, our nation will disconnect herself fully from righteousness. When Protestantism shall stretch her hand across the gulf to grasp the hand of the Roman power, when she shall reach over the abyss to clasp hands with spiritualism, when, under the influence of this threefold union, our country shall repudiate every principle of its Constitution as a Protestant and republican government, and shall make provision for the propagation of papal falsehoods and delusions, then we may know that the time has come for the marvelous working of Satan and that the end is near. {5T 451.1}

• Moderators

I'm very sorry to hear about her passing. I remember her from the many years that she directed the youth orchestra. She traveled with them to so many countries, including the USSR. A great influence.

John 3:16-17

For God so loved the world, that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life. [17] For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but in order that the world might be saved through him.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderators

I knew her, but did not know that she was the sister to Mrs. Fagal, but come to think of it they did resemble each other.

Dr. Rittenhouse was quite a person. Very kind and caring. I was reading on facebook about how if there was no place to sleep but the pews of the church where they would perform, that she would sleep there with everyone else. How she would get the airlines to take the instruments when they were saying that they can't, and when communists officials canceled her concert tour she pressured them and won in having them reinstate the canceled tour. On one tour behind the iron curtain President Ford attended a concert. Back at where he was staying he thought of the young people and went back to meet them (without telling anyone, including the secret service and so there was a few moments of a national crisis as President Ford had disappeared) and they found him back at the concert hall with the Youth Ensemble. Her stories and stories about her are amazing. I read on Facebook that she wrote a musical piece on the 3 angel's message and the Adventist message. It took her over 40 years to write it and it had it's premier at Carnegie Hall and that she was disappointed in the lack of interest from church leadership in this event.

From time to time she asked me to take her car (sometimes mine) to drive youth ensemble members to usually Logan or other airports and then to drive her car back to AUC. Her instructions included "Don't worry about getting any speeding tickets, I'll take care of them" and she was serious.

She helped me get my first job after college (and my overall favorite job ever; besides working in Israel in that Job was where I met 3 of my favorite former girlfriends) with the Jerusalem Passion Play and Nativity Play of Bethlehem. She had seen me act in a few college plays and contacted Francisco DeAraujo and told him about my acting, he came and auditioned me and I got the job!!!

I will very much miss her. However, you know that the Lord has to come soon, I can't imagine the grave trying to hold this feisty lady for too long.

• Administrators

A delightful and gifted lady!

(I also recognize the 3 people in the video in the row directly behind her that she is talking to... :-) )

"Absurdity reigns and confusion makes it look good."

"Sinless perfection is such a shallow goal."

"I love God only as much as the person I love the least."

*Forgiveness is always good news. And that is the gospel truth.

(And finally, the ideas expressed above are solely my person views and not that of any organization with which I am associated.)