ClubAdventist is back!

Smell smoke in your Church?

Stan

If in your church, you can not smell smoke or alcohol on anyone, and other similar things, your Church is more than likely not doing a good job in reaching the community.

If you receive benefit to being here please help out with expenses.

https://www.paypal.me/clubadventist

Administrator of a few websites like https://adventistdating.com

I brought a friend to church a few weeks ago that had been out on a week-long bender and had a major hangover. He smelled of alcohol and everyone was very friendly to him. We stayed for potluck and it went very well.

Pastoral Family Counselor... Find me at www.PostumCafe.com

Author of  Peculiar Christianity

• Administrators

Praise God! Thanks for sharing that, Shane :)

Isaiah 32:17 And the work of righteousness shall be peace; and the effect of righteousness quietness and assurance for ever.

I brought a friend to church a few weeks ago that had been out on a week-long bender and had a major hangover. He smelled of alcohol and everyone was very friendly to him. We stayed for potluck and it went very well.

Praise God indeed!

Oh Stan where were you years ago. Last time I was in an Adventist church I got lectured for several hours based on the fact that I did smell like smoke.

At least it was something to distract them from the usual lecture about my long hair and Iron Maiden t-shirt. Those had gotten really old.

• Moderators

Yes, I've seen the same thing happen in our local church several times. A man who I often see pan-handling in front of a donut shop and is a drug-addict and alcoholic came to our church quite a few times and everyone was very friendly to him. He'd been invited and driven to church by one of our members. Most people like that who come to our churches only come because of a personal invitation by someone they consider a friend.

I think it would be good if pastors and elders gave something like a training seminar to the congregation in the kinds of things NOT to do or say to visitors. There are well-meaning people who sometimes say thing that they shouldn't.

John 3:16-17

For God so loved the world, that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life. [17] For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but in order that the world might be saved through him.

The balancing question is this, how can we make Church safe for anyone to come, and yet safe for our children to go to?

All positions where there is contact with children (Sabbath school teacher, Pathfinders, etc) should have to submit to a background check. While children are at church, they should always be supervised by their parents or someone that has a background check. That still doesn't make it 100% safe but it goes a long way in that direction.

Pastoral Family Counselor... Find me at www.PostumCafe.com

Author of  Peculiar Christianity

• Moderators

Agree completely, Shane. All those things you mention are simply common sense these days. I can remember not so very long ago when it wouldn't have been necessary, but it sure is today. In fact, it would be criminally negligent not to do it. Nobody should be beyond question, including pastors and elders, and women also.

Something I would add is that young boys at any age should not be put in charge of, or left alone with, little girls. It is not necessary to make them feel they aren't trusted, however. That would be wrong as well.

John 3:16-17

For God so loved the world, that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life. [17] For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but in order that the world might be saved through him.

• 2 weeks later...

Oh Stan where were you years ago. Last time I was in an Adventist church I got lectured for several hours based on the fact that I did smell like smoke.

At least it was something to distract them from the usual lecture about my long hair and Iron Maiden t-shirt. Those had gotten really old.

You should have given everyone copies of Iron Maiden's *cardinal* song: "666." :like:

"People [rarely] see...the bright light which is in the clouds..." (Job 37:21)

"I cannot know why suddenly the storm

should rage so fiercely round me in it's wrath

But this I know: God watches all my path

And I can trust"

"God helps us to draw strength from the storm" - Overaged

Faith makes things possible; it does not make them easy, Steps To Christ

I will never forget the first time my mom heard that song. It was a 20/20 that was exposing Satanism in Metal. She said "Well they sure don't know much about it if they are calling a bible verse satanic"

I will never forget the first time my mom heard that song. It was a 20/20 that was exposing Satanism in Metal. She said "Well they sure don't know much about it if they are calling a bible verse satanic"

And I can trust"

Black Sabbath has used a fair bit of Biblical stuff, as has Iron Maiden.

Being Metal bands however they tend to focus more on the darker sides of the book.

Black Sabbath has used a fair bit of Biblical stuff, as has Iron Maiden.

Being Metal bands however they tend to focus more on the darker sides of the book.

Very true.

And I can trust"

• Administrators

It seems Adventists have also focused a fair bit on the dark sides of the books like Revelation rather than its main point of light.

"Absurdity reigns and confusion makes it look good."

"Sinless perfection is such a shallow goal."

"I love God only as much as the person I love the least."

*Forgiveness is always good news. And that is the gospel truth.

(And finally, the ideas expressed above are solely my person views and not that of any organization with which I am associated.)

It seems Adventists have also focused a fair bit on the dark sides of the books like Revelation rather than its main point of light.

I think I can agree with this. There is a reason it is called "The Revelation of Jesus Christ;" and isn't it interesting that we usually only hear it called "Revelation" seminar?

And I can trust"

• Administrators

Yep, far too much emphasis on the apocalypse, monster show and not enough of doing what the book describes the saints as doing. "They follow the Lamb wherever He goes."

In about 10 days at the church where I go is starting a Revelation study group using study guides for the book "The Lamb Among the Beasts". The intent will be to stay focused on the Lamb throughout. This will be my 3rd time helping out with a study group taking this approach. I have an entirely new love of the book as a result. It's not a scare-fest anymore.

"Absurdity reigns and confusion makes it look good."

"Sinless perfection is such a shallow goal."

"I love God only as much as the person I love the least."

*Forgiveness is always good news. And that is the gospel truth.

(And finally, the ideas expressed above are solely my person views and not that of any organization with which I am associated.)

• Administrators

While I admit that the beasts are important, the whole book really ties Jesus to His people when He is the focus.

When Jesus is the focus of Revelation, one sees hope. When the disasters foretold there are the focus, then hope is eroded.

Isaiah 32:17 And the work of righteousness shall be peace; and the effect of righteousness quietness and assurance for ever.

On the ads for evangelism,

Adventist like the nicer/gentle ones

People respond much better to the scary beasts.

We have to chose what ever is more important.

• Administrators

Good point- fear will arouse an interest, for sure. But an evangelist will need to be able to move a person beyond that to make believers.

it is not necessary fear, it is more interest.

ALSO Adventist tend to be against 16 nights of meetings, where as non adventist would often go 4 times a day it they had a choice.

It is like a hungry person shopping in a supermarket with cash.

A full person, lack the passion to get food..