• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• lazarus

• Dr. Shane

• bonnie

• John317

• Moderators

????

I'm confused. I thought the right wing liked killing terrorists.

Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocrities. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence.

Einstein

• Members

????

I'm confused. I thought the right wing liked killing terrorists.

thumbsup

phkrause

By the decree enforcing the institution of the papacy in violation of the law of God, our nation will disconnect herself fully from righteousness. When Protestantism shall stretch her hand across the gulf to grasp the hand of the Roman power, when she shall reach over the abyss to clasp hands with spiritualism, when, under the influence of this threefold union, our country shall repudiate every principle of its Constitution as a Protestant and republican government, and shall make provision for the propagation of papal falsehoods and delusions, then we may know that the time has come for the marvelous working of Satan and that the end is near. {5T 451.1}

This is just tit-for-tat politics. If Bush had killed Obama in the same way a bunch of far-left liberals would be crying about it. Democrats bemoaned Bush going into Iraq and defended Obama going into Libya.

Pastoral Family Counselor... Find me at www.PostumCafe.com

Author of  Peculiar Christianity

• Moderators

I think the political American political establishment should just admit that, in regards to foreign policy, it does what it wants to when it wants to.

Whatever serves American interests is the right things at the time. Suspending Habius Corpus, Killing US citizens, force marching Native Americans, was all done to further American interests.

That's the lamb-like beast in action.

Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocrities. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence.

Einstein

force marching Native Americans, was all done to further American interests.

That's the lamb-like beast in action.

What took place with the Native Americans was the culture of the times.Not right,just the way it was.

Prior to the settlers treatment of the Native Americans,Native Americans were stealing,raping,capturing,murdering other Native American tribes.

The only difference was in the end the settlers prevailed.

Most of us can't conceive of that mind set but it was hardly unique to those settling America.

That was the world for many thousands of years.It was not invented by those that settled America

Everything you do is based on the choices you make. It's not your parents, your past relationships, your job, the economy, the weather, an argument, or your age that is to blame. You and only you are responsible for every decision and choice you make, period ... ... Wish more people would realize this.

Quotes by Susan Gottesman

I am interested in the history of the perfect nation that has never violated anyone's civil rights and never went into a war that was not justified. Which nation has set the moral standard by which the US fails to meet?

• Moderators

Which nation has set the moral standard by which the US fails to meet?

The United States of America

Einstein

No. That answer doesn't work. Try again, please. If we are going to criticize the US as a nation we need to provide an example of a better nation that she should be following. Is it possible that the US is the most just and compassionate nation that has ever existed despite her list of sins? If not, let's talk about the example - the trail blazing nation that sets the moral standard for the others to follow.

• Moderators

.... force marching Native Americans....

I don't want to take the discussion off in a different direction, but will only add a footnote:

They shouldn't have been forced-marched the way they were, but let's not forget the circumstances. The truth is that both sides were at fault. The American government should have done things differently, but then so should the Native Americans. The American tribes were raiding and killing not only Americans but many were going across the border and killing Mexicans and stealing their women, children, and livestock.

It was a tragic situation all the way around.

By the way, you might enjoy the autobiography of Geronimo, an amazing story:

http://www.ibiblio.org/ebooks/Geronimo/GerStory.htm

You will see what I mean when I say you can't put the blame on just one side of the conflict between the Americans and the Indians. It was a complex problem. Neither side understood the other.

John 3:16-17

For God so loved the world, that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life. [17] For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but in order that the world might be saved through him.

The US is the only nation on earth,past or present required by some to be without sin and without fault.

What was done to Native Americans was exactly what Native Americans had been doing for generations prior to the europeans settling here.

It was not invented by europeans to use against a peaceful,loving group of people.They knew all about the stronger taking from the weaker. They only had a problem with it when they were the weaker

Everything you do is based on the choices you make. It's not your parents, your past relationships, your job, the economy, the weather, an argument, or your age that is to blame. You and only you are responsible for every decision and choice you make, period ... ... Wish more people would realize this.

Quotes by Susan Gottesman

• Moderators

..Prior to the settlers treatment of the Native Americans,Native Americans were stealing,raping,capturing,murdering other Native American tribes.

That's true. There were constant wars between the various tribes. The law of the jungle prevailed. It doesn't excuse what Europeans/Americans did, but it does give us some insight into the problems and the reasons for what happened.

When we read the history of Mexico and Russia, we find that the same evils happened there, too. It's a human problem.

For God so loved the world, that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life. [17] For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but in order that the world might be saved through him.

• Moderators

Is it possible that the US is the most just and compassionate nation that has ever existed despite her list of sins?

If the USA wasn't viewed as having high standards, people wouldn't complain about her. I think their complaints are actually a complement, because they know Americans will pay attention to their protests. They know China and Russia wouldn't care a hoot.

The same thing happens with individuals. If you have one person who always fights and does bad things, they can get away with almost anything. People come to expect them to do those things and no one seems to take any notice of them. But if the person who usually obeys the law does the slightest thing wrong, he gets into serious trouble.

No. That answer doesn't work. Try again, please. If we are going to criticize the US as a nation we need to provide an example of a better nation that she should be following. Is it possible that the US is the most just and compassionate nation that has ever existed despite her list of sins? If not, let's talk about the example - the trail blazing nation that sets the moral standard for the others to follow.

Exactly!

• Moderators

Originally Posted By: Shane
Which nation has set the moral standard by which the US fails to meet?

The US has not lived up to it's high claims of liberty and justice for all.

Einstein

Whose the leader? Who should they be following? Who has done a better job?

• Moderators

Originally Posted By: lazarus

The US has not lived up to it's high claims of liberty and justice for all. I know it's a tough concept to embrace because as Americans you are taught to believe that the US is the nation that is the embodiment of liberty.

.......He had two horns like a lamb, but he spoke like a dragon.

What does this mean?

Einstein

• Moderators

Whose the leader? Who should they be following? Who has done a better job?

It should be judged by the claims it makes about itself. That's fair right? To claim something that is not true is a lie.

Einstein

• Moderators

At least as a people and a nation we're trying hard.

No one claims we don't make big mistakes.

I know we're very imperfect, as all people are, but I still love my country and its people. I love our history-- all of it, even the history of our failures.

I would expect the English, the Russians and the Chinese and Africans to feel the same. I hope they do. It's never good for citizens to dislike their own country.

It should be judged by the claims it makes about itself. That's fair right? To claim something that is not true is a lie.

Avoiding the question.

Who is the leader? Who is the example?

• Moderators

I'm not talking about loving or hating a country, it's about being honest about the true nature of America.

I love the US, it's a great country. Y'all just need to be real!

Einstein

He had two horns like a lamb, but he spoke like a dragon.

What does this mean?

Two horns like a lamb: a Christian nation

spoke like a dragon: passes the national Sunday law so that all will worship the image of the beast

Once again. Which country is the example that the US should be following? Who is the moral leader among nations?

• Moderators

Avoiding the question.

I don't actually understand the question. Who is the leader??????

When did the US start living up to the lofty claim of liberty and justice for all?

Einstein

• Moderators

I've heard "America-- the last best hope of the world".

Never heard any other country named there.

As I said, people generally critisize the USA because they know we are the example. If we weren't they wouldn't bother to critisize us, so we can take it as complement really.

Once again. Which country is the example that the US should be following? Who is the moral leader among nations?

There isn't one. Yet he will continue to run down the greatest nation in the world. But he has the right to do that over here. And I think he makes a fairly good living over here too.