ClubAdventist is back!

When The President Can Kill Whoever He Wants

• Moderators

Yes, honest. That means telling all the truth, but not doing it in such a way that we teach young people to hate their own country. The truth won't do that because the truth shows that there is more good in America than evil. But is the evil there? Of course. There is evil wherever there are humans.

I'm not really sure how you measure more good than evil. Is there more good in the UK than evil? Is there more good in India than evil? Is there more good in Australia than evil? Is there more good in South Africa than evil? What is the framework that you use to measure that?

I'm suggesting that America measure itself by what it has claimed to be. America has declared itself to be exceptional

American exceptionalism refers to the theory that the United States is qualitatively different from other countries. In this view, America's exceptionalism stems from its emergence from a revolution, becoming "the first new nation,"[1] and developing a uniquely American ideology, based on liberty, egalitarianism, individualism, populism and laissez-faire.

Has America been qualitatively different from other countries in terms of liberty and justice? I humbly suggest no. Has there been been liberty and justice for all? No. Despite the fact that Europeans fled the tyranny of Europe they transported it, developed it and adapted it to suit the new continent.

I'm am not saying that America is worse than other countries. I am saying that it is certainly not exceptional in terms of it treatment of its own citizens. America has gifted the world with incredible advances in technology and culture. In that sense it is exceptional. The Hebrews, Greeks and Romans made exceptional contributions to world history too.

American young people will not hate their country if they are told the truth. Many of then know this truth and still love their country. I know and speak to many of them.

Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocrities. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence.

Einstein

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• lazarus

• Dr. Shane

• bonnie

• John317

I'm suggesting that America measure itself by what it has claimed to be. America has declared itself to be exceptional

I guess you will have to produce the document where America declared itself exceptional. I am not familiar with that part of the Declaration of Independence, Articles of Confederation or Constitution.

I think all of America's claims need to be understood in the context of the time period when they were made.

Pastoral Family Counselor... Find me at www.PostumCafe.com

Author of  Peculiar Christianity

• Moderators

If there was a document you would still dismiss the criticism by saying that exceptionalism should be understood in relation to the times. duno

Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocrities. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence.

Einstein

If there was a document you would still dismiss the criticism by saying that exceptionalism should be understood in relation to the times.

So there is no document and it isn't important to read documents in the context of the time they were written?

Pastoral Family Counselor... Find me at www.PostumCafe.com

Author of  Peculiar Christianity