ClubAdventist is back!

At the crucifixion, did Christ's divine nature die as well?

Alchemy

Originally Posted By: John317
Before Christ's birth as a human, God was not literally His Father.

Now that's where I'm going to have to disagree with you John ;-)

I believe with all my heart, as well as my entire family, that Jesus, the Son of God was literally and truly His Son before His birth. To deny this is to completely destroy the infinite Sacrifice the Father went through in giving up His own flesh and blood. While Christ is from ALL eternity, mysteriously Jesus was truly and literally His Son.

The English here is very plain:

"God IS the Father of Christ; Christ IS the Son of God. To Christ has been given an exalted position. He has been made equal with the Father. All the counsels of God are opened to His Son." {CCh 76.5}

I do not believe that trillions and trillions of years ago, Jesus and the Father just randomly bumped into each other in space, and said "who goes there?" "OH, I'm God!" "You're God? How can that be? I'm God!" "Well I'm God too". "Okay, then let's make a deal... you'll be my Son, and I'll be the Father". "OK!".

No no no... Jesus is truly the Son of God, His own flesh and blood, literally. Yet He is from all eternity.

Trinitiarians argue that this cannot be because Jesus would have had to have a beginning in order for Him to be literally His Son.

Anti-Trinitarians argue that because He was literally His Son before Bethlehem, that this must mean He had a beginning and did not come from eternity.

In other words, both sides pick one not realizing that both can be right, even though our finite minds cannot comprehend how both can be compatible. He is both truly and literally His Son even though He comes back from all eternity.

I believe we should just accept it by faith, as hard as it is for our finite minds to comprehend it.

I agree with that 100%

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• John317

• miz3

• Robert

• Gordon1

Top Posters In This Topic

I guess I'm asking what happened to the Divine nature of Christ while His body suffered the second death?

Was it asleep?

Was it conscience?

"Jesus said to Mary, "Touch me not; for I am not yet ascended to my Father." When he closed his eyes in death upon the cross, the soul of Christ did not go at once to Heaven, as many believe, or how could his words be true--"I am not yet ascended to my Father"? The spirit of Jesus slept in the tomb with his body, and did not wing its way to Heaven, there to maintain a separate existence, and to look down upon the mourning disciples embalming the body from which it had taken flight. All that comprised the life and intelligence of Jesus remained with his body in the sepulcher; and when he came forth it was as a whole being; he did not have to summon his spirit from Heaven. He had power to lay down his life and to take it up again." {3SP 203.2}

If Christ's "divine nature" or "divinity" has "life and intelligence", then it remained with the body in the sepulcher.

If the "spirit of Jesus" is divine, then it slept in the tomb with his body and did not maintain a separate existence when the human body died.

grw