ClubAdventist is back!

Reference books

Gail

• Administrators

I may have asked this already, but which reference books do you use? It could be for Bible study or not necessarily.

Dictionaries? Concordances? Indices?

Isaiah 32:17 And the work of righteousness shall be peace; and the effect of righteousness quietness and assurance for ever.

Various versions of the Bible, commentaries, Matthews and SDA, dictionaries. I like to compare, better feeling for what may have actually taken place. T'is also interesting the how personal beliefs can be seen in commentaries, which may not agree with others. Enjoy them anyway!!

• Administrators

Various versions of the Bible, commentaries, Matthews and SDA, dictionaries. I like to compare, better feeling for what may have actually taken place. T'is also interesting the how personal beliefs can be seen in commentaries, which may not agree with others. Enjoy them anyway!!

I think they are all interesting, too.

You've got Matthew Henry's commentary? Did you find it online? Where? I don't want to buy the large set of books.

Isaiah 32:17 And the work of righteousness shall be peace; and the effect of righteousness quietness and assurance for ever.

• 1 year later...
  • Moderators

First level is simply reading the text, including "Do I see a Chiasm here?" which is a poetic structure that focuses on the major message.

Second Level is Strongs concordance and "The Theological Word Book of the Old Testament" Try to find any other word studies as well as journal articles about new discoveries about the words in the Bible.

Third level is historical contexts: The MacMillian Bible Atlas, Bright's "A History of Israel" and Aharoni's "The Land of the Bible" These are probably the 3 most important books outside of the Bible ever written. There are other books we can also place in this level such as the writings of Josephus, other books on Archaeology and Bible atlases, Biblical Archaeology Review etc.

Fourth level is commentaries. My 4 favorites are: SDABC (although the articles are better than the texts which have gotten way out of date, but a number of the articles are really outstanding. Of course the best is "The Role of Israel in Old Testament Prophecy") The Interpreter's Bible Commentary, the New International Bible Commentary and my favorite The Anchor Bible. Two problems with commentaries and why they are the 4th level, is because too much of the author's viewpoints and so you want to have a grasp of the above to see where you agree and disagree with the writer, so it can be like you and the writer sharing as peers who have studied different rather than as teacher/student. Second, a rule of thumb is that when a Commentary is printed, the day it is printed the cutting edge information is already 30 years old, and thus starts out 30 years out of date.

• Moderators

Oh, I forgot to mention another excellent resource: The writings of Abraham Joshua Heshel, especially his books "The Prophets" And if you can get the ORIGINAL printing of "The Sanctuary and the Atonement" by the Biblical Research Committee of General Conference. The one with the sort of cream/yellowish and black cover. Not the edited reprints.