ClubAdventist is back!

Need prayers for direction.

Doug

I'm about halfway through my degree (Health Information Management) and I am out of money. Due to the economy I have been scraping my savings: I still have about $20k or so but that is in long term savings and I don't plan to touch that.

I still work for Fedex, but I am getting less than 25 hours a week because I am Adventist, and they won't bring me in on Fridays even though I can still work till sundown. It is next to impossible to get a full time job here, and even harder to get one that will allow me to keep the Sabbath. I really don't have many skills to get hired elsewhere, maybe for forklift/wearhouse but then I probably would make way less than I am making now.

Half my family wants me to quit my job, live off student loans and grants and finish my degree. None of my family are in any position to help me, outside of my aunt who I stay with and my brother but then again that support is very limited. I am not married so I have nobody to depend on.

The other half says keep my job and get a 2nd job, or find a full time job and worry about school later when I have saved up some money. One even suggested that I look for work outside of California. I really don't want to move, that is kind of extreme.

My 3rd option is something I have wanted to do for a while...start my own business, doing what I don't know.

I am good with software/computer optimization/setup, not so good with hardware.

So as you can see I have very limited options, I am trying to keep the faith.

• Administrators

Doug, is there a financial person at the school that can help you sort out your options?

Isaiah 32:17 And the work of righteousness shall be peace; and the effect of righteousness quietness and assurance for ever.

Nothing wrong with tapping into the savings and/or getting student loans. Education is an investment, especially if you have a clear goal with your degree.

Will be praying for the right direction Doug!

Doug; your own business sounds good! I have my own business and I really enjoy it. Here in Canada, we can go to federal employment centers and go through a series of tests that reveal if one is suited to running their own business or not. It's a good way to make an intelligent decision as to whether or not running your own business is for you or not. If you look around, there should be something similar in your area that you could participate in. Try anywhere where they offer career counselling. In the meantime, you will be in our prayers.

"People [rarely] see...the bright light which is in the clouds..." (Job 37:21)

"I cannot know why suddenly the storm

should rage so fiercely round me in it's wrath

But this I know: God watches all my path

And I can trust"

"God helps us to draw strength from the storm" - Overaged

Faith makes things possible; it does not make them easy, Steps To Christ

• 5 weeks later...

This is my plan. I am going to keep my job as long as I can, while looking for full-time work. This part time business isn't working out, I am barely making even, although I am saving about $200 per month. I switched my major to Health Information Technology/Management. I found a school up north, a community college where I can take the class completely online. Once I get my AS I plan to get a job somewhere in the Loma Linda area and get work, then attend LLU to get my BS.

I like your signature!

And I like the idea of you asking for prayer. This is something i will certainly pray about. Sounds like an ambitious plan you have, and one I am sure God is well able to help you with! Please keep us posted as to how things are going with all this.

And I can trust"

In most cases the problem with starting your own business is the captial required to survive the first year especially and the second. A very high percentage of business' fail due to that simple reality. You can have a great idea, work hard and invest cautiously to the point where the business is "just about" to take off, and your broke. So what now? Borrow like mad! Mortgage the parents house! And still, you don't have "quite enough" to make the next leap. This is what happens to over 80% of new business'. Just a reality check to consider....

I hope you don't end up borrowing a bunch of money, at some point down the road, to sustain the business (which failed) and then figure out later you could have borrowed that money to finish school! Then you loose the business, school, got massive debt and a lot of very unhappy people looking to collect.

In the matter of prayer heres what I do. What counsel do I already have that applies to my situation? I won't be asking for some miracle or even direction, which may be presumption, until I've had a chance to review what has already been revealed. In my case, I lean heavily on the Spirit of Prophecy to find those gems of truth that apply to my situation. The PRINCIPLES, not the actual details. Whether you believe Sister White is inspired or not is beside the point. The FACT IS, she is an excellent counselor when it comes to life decisions, she was one smart lady.

Starting your own business can be a very good idea; and does not have to be a negative prospect or experience. I know; because I have been successfully running my own business; and I stepped out in faith, planned carefully, and never borrowed a penny for anything. It can be done! "What's impossible with [us] is possible with God." If you have any questions about how to get your business going please PM me anytime, and I will be very glad to help!

And I can trust"

I am a big fan of starting your own business. Decide what it is that you are going to sell and develop your value therein. You can sell: price, speed, quality, nicest smile(useless) etc... In my opinion, sell quality. Those who sell "price" usually go out of business in less than 3- years.

Have fun!

"Please don't feed the drama queens.."