ClubAdventist is back!

Does prayer really work?

ClubV12

Teresad, I for one won't be judging anyone, as I believe we all have our own road to follow, what gets me to the destination might not work for you and vice versa. I think what is important is that we all arrive at the end of that road with a pure heart.

facebook. /teresa.quintero.790

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• phkrause

• teresaq

• M. T. Cross

• ClubV12

It surprised me but didn't bother me. Another board came up with a nickname for me some time ago, that I tend to like. In fact I have considered changing over to that but it would be a big bother.

Teresa is my name, so that would be OK.

In this E.G. White quote, she says that he had "given himself up to his own corrupt lust". I think that is the difference. If God were to answer his prayer by removing whatever his sin was then He would be forcing the man against his will. God doesn't do that! I think that is the key to why some prayers seem to be answered in a positive way and others seem not to be answered in a positive way. If the man is shut out of heaven it is because his sin (whatever it was) would go with him into heaven because he refused to let go of it. His will was not yeilded to God's will. Just my thoughts. . .

I don't think prayer works. I don't hope prayer works.

I KNOW prayer works. There are times when we ask amiss.

For me James 5:13-20 says it all. I really like the part in vs. 16 that says "the effectual fervent prayer of a righteous man availeth much"

Apply this to the original question and draw your own conclusions

I don't think prayer works. I think it works to pray.

May we be one so that the world may be won.
Christian from the cradle to the grave
I believe in Hematology.

"the effectual fervent prayer of a righteous man availeth much"

Well, the poor fellow was missing some aspect of this verse. He would go into the woods and fast and pray for DAYS to overcome his sin, and then return to it. I would have to assume he was praying fervently.

Perhaps the key work in the above verse is a "righteous man"? Perhaps that verse is not about praying for yourself, but for others? "Effectual", obviously the poor fellow in the woods was not very effectual in his prayers.

A solem quote from the Lords messenger, no doubt inspired, she would had have had no way to know the details on this man's life were it not specifically revealed to her in some manner. It was duly recorded for OUR benefit today.

• Members

In this E.G. White quote, she says that he had "given himself up to his own corrupt lust". I think that is the difference. If God were to answer his prayer by removing whatever his sin was then He would be forcing the man against his will. God doesn't do that! I think that is the key to why some prayers seem to be answered in a positive way and others seem not to be answered in a positive way. If the man is shut out of heaven it is because his sin (whatever it was) would go with him into heaven because he refused to let go of it. His will was not yeilded to God's will. Just my thoughts. . .

Great thoughts mrsducky, I'm in agreement with them.

phkrause

By the decree enforcing the institution of the papacy in violation of the law of God, our nation will disconnect herself fully from righteousness. When Protestantism shall stretch her hand across the gulf to grasp the hand of the Roman power, when she shall reach over the abyss to clasp hands with spiritualism, when, under the influence of this threefold union, our country shall repudiate every principle of its Constitution as a Protestant and republican government, and shall make provision for the propagation of papal falsehoods and delusions, then we may know that the time has come for the marvelous working of Satan and that the end is near. {5T 451.1}

• Members

I don't think prayer works. I don't hope prayer works.

I KNOW prayer works. There are times when we ask amiss.

For me James 5:13-20 says it all. I really like the part in vs. 16 that says "the effectual fervent prayer of a righteous man availeth much"

Apply this to the original question and draw your own conclusions

:like:

phkrause

By the decree enforcing the institution of the papacy in violation of the law of God, our nation will disconnect herself fully from righteousness. When Protestantism shall stretch her hand across the gulf to grasp the hand of the Roman power, when she shall reach over the abyss to clasp hands with spiritualism, when, under the influence of this threefold union, our country shall repudiate every principle of its Constitution as a Protestant and republican government, and shall make provision for the propagation of papal falsehoods and delusions, then we may know that the time has come for the marvelous working of Satan and that the end is near. {5T 451.1}

I think you hit the nail right on the head.

Prayer in this life, although mainly one-sided with ourselves doing all of the talking, serves mainly to remind us of, or to demonstrate, our dependence on the LORD. Probably none of us has ever heard a response to our requests or confessions sent to the higher realms, but we should not be too surprised, though, if we discover that all of our thoughts and prayers of a lifetime have been monitored and recorded for future use.

If we do not pray in this life, perhaps the LORD will tell us at the Judgment Day that he doesn't know us.

Prayer in this life points us to the telepathic communication system we will access in the next life. At that time our requests for our needs, or the needs of others, even if not spoken aloud, will be honored by the LORD, as promised. As scripture indicates, we will hear the voice of the LORD as if he were right behind us.

The Parable of the Lamb and the Pigpen https://www.createspace.com/3401451

Prayer in this life, although mainly one-sided with ourselves doing all of the talking, serves mainly to remind us of, or to demonstrate, our dependence on the LORD. Probably none of us has ever heard a response to our requests or confessions sent to the higher realms, but we should not be too surprised, though, if we discover that all of our thoughts and prayers of a lifetime have been monitored and recorded for future use.
I appreciate your thoughts, but it also makes me think of how many times we pray at God. I hear others pray sometimes, and many times myself, and I wonder if God just kept going on about His business paying nary the least bit of attention. The prayers were "thrown" at God but with no intention of connecting with Him.

It takes a lot of effort to try to connect with God instead of praying at Him...but well worth it.

Quote:
The prayers were "thrown" at God but with no intention of connecting with Him.

Sometimes it's difficult to sit through a public prayer, especially when it drags on and on. I don't believe prayer, a private communication between God and man, was meant to be broadcast among large groups.

The Parable of the Lamb and the Pigpen https://www.createspace.com/3401451

It could be many other things, I'm just picking smoking. It could've been one of many other things, drugs, drinking, etc. I personally can't expect to pray for God to heal me of something and than be unwilling to do my part.

What about the ice cream or cheese addict that gets cancer and asks God for a healing? Dare we go there?

• Members

Originally Posted By: pkrause
It could be many other things, I'm just picking smoking. It could've been one of many other things, drugs, drinking, etc. I personally can't expect to pray for God to heal me of something and than be unwilling to do my part.

What about the ice cream or cheese addict that gets cancer and asks God for a healing? Dare we go there?

Excellent point Tallmark, excellent point. I believe this is exactly what she's getting at.

phkrause