ClubAdventist is back!

Broken people

Stan

I read about a year ago, that lab animals who became druggies, and perhaps alcoholics, and I do not know they that happens... back to story, they recovered better when they were loved by people than if they went through therapy.. I have no idea what kind of recovery therapy you can put a lab rat through.... but back to the story.

I know people that are broken. They lost so much, and they were hurt by the Church, not because they got slapped, but because they did not have the support they needed. They ended up getting comfort from drugs, as they never got the unjudgemental support and comfort they needed to survive and thrive.

They are poor and live on the street, doing things we would not want our Children to know about, or even know happens.

ANY hope for these? Too often they get told they are not worthy of help, told just to get a job.

What would Christ do with the 'unworthy' and underserving, and what should we do?

For those who have lived in a semi-perfect world, may not be able to understand.

If you receive benefit to being here please help out with expenses.

https://www.paypal.me/clubadventist

Administrator of a few websites like https://adventistdating.com

If I can share this.

I was (maybe still am?) a very broken person.

I spent a part of my life when I was young ingesting around 900+ pills a week - all chased down with wiskey. I never went into therapy to quit. But I had a couple people that stood by me with great love and a determination to see me live even if I didn't care about it. Oddly enough they were two of the most broken people I have ever met. One was a prostitute and one was a gay friend of mine. If it was not for their love and support I would have been dead many years ago.

There is always hope. But beating people like this over the head is not the help they need. They are enough of a mess as it is without anyone adding more guilt on top of it. On or two people really believing in them is the first step out of the gutter.

I appreciate your story.

I do understand about the unconditional love and support that other broken people can give you.

It is a shame.... but have seen to many people who claim to follow Christ, have had hearts that have turned to stone. One person said, you have had to be a Christian a long time to get that mean..

YET, I know of so many compassionate loving Christians with many years of experience in life.

If you receive benefit to being here please help out with expenses.

https://www.paypal.me/clubadventist

Administrator of a few websites like https://adventistdating.com

• Administrators
big-hug.gif

Isaiah 32:17 And the work of righteousness shall be peace; and the effect of righteousness quietness and assurance for ever.

Good topic, Stan. I read a few years ago that the churches in the US that are the fastest growing are those that have substance abuse programs and those that have after-school programs. I think that is good food for thought.

Drug addicts and alcoholics are not the only broken people in society. Many churches offer divorce care and family support programs. Fatherless children also need mentors. Many children in divorced homes still have loving fathers in their lives but there are many that do not. Of course all men mentoring young boys need to pass a background check as that type of situation is ripe to attract predators.

We need to be careful that in our attempts to help we do not do more harm than good. The Salvation Army is very good at drawing boundaries that way. Drug addicts and alcoholics specifically will look to play off the good intentions of compassionate Christians and use our help to enable them in their addictions. If and when we give financial assistance to addicts and alcoholics it should never be in the form of cash and not done over a prolonged period of time. A big part of recovery is learning responsibility. In the beginning an addict/alcoholic may need a little help but the best help is helping them get a job and teaching them how to manage a monthly budget.

Some of the best help is being there for them. We need to give our phone number out to each other more often and call each other during the week. We need to visit each other in our homes and go places together. We need to be friends and not just see each other at church. That is what is most important to broken people.

Pastoral Family Counselor... Find me at www.PostumCafe.com

Author of  Peculiar Christianity

If I can share this.

I was (maybe still am?) a very broken person.

I spent a part of my life when I was young ingesting around 900+ pills a week - all chased down with wiskey. I never went into therapy to quit. But I had a couple people that stood by me with great love and a determination to see me live even if I didn't care about it. Oddly enough they were two of the most broken people I have ever met. One was a prostitute and one was a gay friend of mine. If it was not for their love and support I would have been dead many years ago.

""Then Jesus explained his meaning: “I tell you the truth, corrupt tax collectors and prostitutes will get into the Kingdom of God before you do."Matthew 21:31 NLT

"‘Should we pull out the weeds?’ they asked.

“‘No,’ he replied, ‘you’ll uproot the wheat if you do. Let both grow together until the harvest. Then I will tell the harvesters to sort out the weeds, tie them into bundles, and burn them, and to put the wheat in the barn.’”"

Matthew 13:28-30 NLT

God blesses! peace

Lift Jesus up!!

Each of us come from different family environments, yet we all need the same thing - adoption into a better family. The family of God (Ephesians 1:5). Jesus may be the only friend that some people ever have.

I was born a loser, alienated from God according to Ephesians 2:12. Praise God, His grace is sufficient!

g

"Please don't feed the drama queens.."

• Administrators

Nice thread! Thanks, EmptyCross, for sharing your testimony :)

Isaiah 32:17 And the work of righteousness shall be peace; and the effect of righteousness quietness and assurance for ever.

Each of us come from different family environments, yet we all need the same thing - adoption into a better family. The family of God (Ephesians 1:5). Jesus may be the only friend that some people ever have.

I was born a loser, alienated from God according to Ephesians 2:12. Praise God, His grace is sufficient!

g

Yes!!!!!!!!!

God blesses! peace

Lift Jesus up!!

I read about a year ago, that lab animals who became druggies, and perhaps alcoholics, and I do not know they that happens... back to story, they recovered better when they were loved by people than if they went through therapy.. I have no idea what kind of recovery therapy you can put a lab rat through.... but back to the story.

I know people that are broken. They lost so much, and they were hurt by the Church, not because they got slapped, but because they did not have the support they needed. They ended up getting comfort from drugs, as they never got the unjudgemental support and comfort they needed to survive and thrive.

They are poor and live on the street, doing things we would not want our Children to know about, or even know happens.

ANY hope for these? Too often they get told they are not worthy of help, told just to get a job.

What would Christ do with the 'unworthy' and underserving, and what should we do?

For those who have lived in a semi-perfect world, may not be able to understand.

Unfortunately; I was one of those people that all of this happened to. It's been tough to pick up even the few pieces that I have managed to so far; a kind word, someone to pray with a bit, even when i didn't come to church, and other such things would have been so welcomed. I even begged for it to no avail a couple of times. But out of it all; God did lead me to a few people who cared - in and/or out of the church.

It's people who already have their freedom in the heart of God; that have been able to help me have the same. Don't know if I am there yet - but I know I'm on the way...

Thx to those on this forum who have been a part of helping me along, rather than condemning all the "bad" that they see...

EC; you are pretty good at showing this helping caring attitude - I would venture to say it is because you have been there too.

"People [rarely] see...the bright light which is in the clouds..." (Job 37:21)

"I cannot know why suddenly the storm

should rage so fiercely round me in it's wrath

But this I know: God watches all my path

And I can trust"

"God helps us to draw strength from the storm" - Overaged

Faith makes things possible; it does not make them easy, Steps To Christ

There was a church near us that ran two motels and a coffee shop, both used for ministry. The back part of one motel was a live in rehab center, where they taught life skills. The coffee shop had Christian music played over the speakers. The servers were Christians who made it a point to get to know you, and when they did, it would not be uncommon for them to pray for you - out loud. The church met upstairs from the coffee shop.

When I had my cancer surgery, the subject came up. I was put on their prayer list at church. While I recovered, they prayed with my husband in the coffee shop. When I was well enough, I practically lived at that place while my husband was working. They welcomed me, prayed with me, and it became a second home. I even attended the worship services at times, though they were very different from my SDA experience, and my wonderful home church.

This is working out the love of Christ in the world... I wish I knew of an SDA church that was doing this.