ClubAdventist is back!

Keeping the Sabbath

BibleOnly

OK, but, surely a pastor is going to expand on those if asked by a church member ? It seems normal to me that the SDA would publish 'we keep the sabbath' and then explain what that means to people who ask ?

Yes. You may get individual pastoral interpretations - and advice. But the only official doctines of the church are reflected in the list of Fundamental Beliefs that I gave you. These are officially voted and approved by the church in session.

Pastors are just like anyone else. I happen to personally know this. Smile smile. Our church is not like the Catholic Church where the priests act as God. Our pastors are just like anyone else. Faith in our church is based on an individual basis. The church does not tell us what to do on Sabbath other than what is written in the Fundamentals. It is our individual job to provide applications to Biblical directives.

May we be one so that the world may be won.
Christian from the cradle to the grave
I believe in Hematology.

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• BibleOnly

• Woody

• Lysimachus

• BobRyan

OK, so your church is a bit more loose on specifics ? That kind of leads to what I was saying. Some SDA churches will have stricter interpretations than others, I presume you're saying based not on sub denominations, as much as the personality of the pastor in question. So, if I don't like the doctrine in one SDA, I can go to another that is more to my liking ? They will all keep the Sabbath, but it's up to the pastor how that is interpreted ?

OK, so your church is a bit more loose on specifics ? That kind of leads to what I was saying. Some SDA churches will have stricter interpretations than others, I presume you're saying based not on sub denominations, as much as the personality of the pastor in question. So, if I don't like the doctrine in one SDA, I can go to another that is more to my liking ? They will all keep the Sabbath, but it's up to the pastor how that is interpreted ?

No Again you are not listening. It is not up to the pastor except for his own personal experience. It is up to the individual as to how to apply the principles of the Sabbath Commandment. The only official doctrines of the church are in the Fundamentals that I gave to you. The rest is individual interpretations and application.

I believe in Hematology.

Quote:
Some SDA churches will have stricter interpretations than others

ALL SDA churches believe the same as reflected in the Fundamental Beliefs that I gave you. Individual churches do not have different beliefs. Individuals may have stricter interpretations compared to other individuals.

I believe in Hematology.

I don't think the 10 commandments have been done away with. I think they've been fulfilled. So, these articles argued with a point I do not make.

But the problem is, your version of "fulfilled" ultimately means "abolished". The problem is, if Christ had meant "fulfilled" in the sense that "He kept them, and now we don't have to keep them", then the same goes true for all the Jewish ordinances.

The problem is, scriptures do teach that there was a law that was "abolished". See 2 Cor. 3:13; Ephesians 2:15.

Do you realize what predicament that just put you in? You will now be forced to conclude that "fulfilled" and "abolished" mean the very same thing, but the fact is, they do not.

Christ fulfilled one law, and he abolished another. If your interpretation is that we need to keep neither, then you are equating abolishing and fulfilling the exact same thing.

That is the same thing as "doing away with". To abolish something is to "do away with it".

If you want a good definition of what Christ meant when he said "fulfill", look no further:

http://www.the-ten-commandments.org/jesus_fulfilled_the_moral_law.html

Notice that there are two Greek words in the New Testament translated as "fulfill".

1. One meant to obey it and live it out as it should be as an example to others.

2. The other meant to "end" it.

Guess which one Christ used in Matthew 5:17? bwink I'll tell ya. Meaning #1. :)

~Lysimachus (Marcos S.)

Author of article, Vindicating the Year-Day Principle of Prophetic Interpretation (see attachment for article)
Currently writing a book, Vindicating the Historical School of Prophetic Interpretation
Founder of the largest and fastest SDA Apologetics Group on Facebook, Seventh-Day Adventism - Defending the Pillars of the Faith
Writer and apologetics contributor at Adventist Defense League

Vindicating the Year-Day Principle of Prophetic Interpretation.pdf

Originally Posted By: BibleOnly

No Again you are not listening. It is not up to the pastor except for his own personal experience. It is up to the individual as to how to apply the principles of the Sabbath Commandment. The only official doctrines of the church are in the Fundamentals that I gave to you. The rest is individual interpretations and application.

OK. So if the pastor has one interpretation and I have another, that would never cause friction ? And the interpretation of the members would in no way be influenced by the answers the pastor gave when asked ? I'm not being smart or suggesting anything untoward. It just seems obvious to me that if all can make up their own mind, then the pastor is included, but then his position means that his views will influence the rest of the flock, through his advice and his preaching. If the church is together for much of the sabbath, then the pastor can SEE if people follow what he preaches on the subject, and people will feel pressure to live up to whatever his interpretation is. Surely ?

Not to mention the fact that 2 Cor. 3 does teach that something was "done away" with. But since you believe the Ten Commandments were fulfilled, and not "done away" with, I guess you must concur with me that 2 Cor 3 is not teaching that the Tables of Stone, the ministration of death, was "done away" with--rather it was the glory of Moses that was done away with--which represented the Old Testament ministration through the priestly rites and services--and replaced by the ministration and glory of Christ as our High Priest. Which I'm glad we are on the same page in this case.

~Lysimachus (Marcos S.)

Author of article, Vindicating the Year-Day Principle of Prophetic Interpretation (see attachment for article)
Currently writing a book, Vindicating the Historical School of Prophetic Interpretation
Founder of the largest and fastest SDA Apologetics Group on Facebook, Seventh-Day Adventism - Defending the Pillars of the Faith

Besides that we are to teach it and not admonish to disregard it.

Mt 5:19 Whosoever therefore shall break one of these least commandments, and shall teach men so, he shall be called the least in the kingdom of heaven: but whosoever shall do and teach them, the same shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven.

1Jo 4:4 ¶ Ye are of God, little children, and have overcome them: because greater is he that is in you, than he that is in the world.

A Freeman In Jesus Christ

Originally Posted By: BibleOnly
I don't think the 10 commandments have been done away with. I think they've been fulfilled. So, these articles argued with a point I do not make.

But the problem is, your version of "fulfilled" ultimately means "abolished". The problem is, if Christ had meant "fulfilled" in the sense that "He kept them, and now we don't have to keep them", then the same goes true for all the Jewish ordinances.

Not to mention the fact that 2 Cor. 3 does teach that something was "done away" with. But since you believe the Ten Commandments were fulfilled, and not "done away" with, I guess you must concur with me that 2 Cor 3 is not teaching that the Tables of Stone, the ministration of death, was "done away" with--rather it was the glory of Moses that was done away with--which represented the Old Testament ministration through the priestly rites and services--and replaced by the ministration and glory of Christ as our High Priest. Which I'm glad we are on the same page in this case.

The difference is semantic. The law was fulfilled and therefore our need to keep it in it's old testament form was done away with, a new and better covenant being given.

Which really doesn't answer the questions I've asked at least three times.....

Quote:
OK. So if the pastor has one interpretation and I have another, that would never cause friction ? And the interpretation of the members would in no way be influenced by the answers the pastor gave when asked ? I'm not being smart or suggesting anything untoward. It just seems obvious to me that if all can make up their own mind, then the pastor is included, but then his position means that his views will influence the rest of the flock, through his advice and his preaching. If the church is together for much of the sabbath, then the pastor can SEE if people follow what he preaches on the subject, and people will feel pressure to live up to whatever his interpretation is. Surely ?

The pastor's job is to point people to the Word where THEY can find individual interpretations. The pastor does not expect his congregants to be like sheep or robots. He or She will guide the flock but not force or even expect compliance to the pastor's individual interpretations.

Again - the pastor is hired by the church to promote Biblical directives as reflected in the Fundamental Beliefs. If he or she does not believe in the Fundamentals - then he or she will most likely be dismissed by the church from being a pastor.

I believe in Hematology.

Besides that we are to teach it and not admonish to disregard it.

Mt 5:19 Whosoever therefore shall break one of these least commandments, and shall teach men so, he shall be called the least in the kingdom of heaven: but whosoever shall do and teach them, the same shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven.

1Jo 4:4 ¶ Ye are of God, little children, and have overcome them: because greater is he that is in you, than he that is in the world.

Mat 5:21 ¶ Ye have heard that it was said by them of old time, Thou shalt not kill; and whosoever shall kill shall be in danger of the judgment:

Mat 5:22 But I say unto you, That whosoever is angry with his brother without a cause shall be in danger of the judgment: and whosoever shall say to his brother, Raca, shall be in danger of the council: but whosoever shall say, Thou fool, shall be in danger of hell fire.

Proving my point exactly. Instead of just being constrained by the letter, we are to go further. For example, by making sure we 'enter in to that rest'. Do you think that Paul was saying they needed to 'work' to 'not work' on a Saturday ? Why does he indicate that the Sabbath moved from Saturday to 'Today' ? We need to make sure we're always resting in Him in the New Testament, that is what He promised for us.

Quote:

The pastor's job is to point people to the Word where THEY can find individual interpretations. The pastor does not expect his congregants to be like sheep or robots. He or She will guide the flock but not force or even expect compliance to the pastor's individual interpretations.

Again - the pastor is hired by the church to promote Biblical directives as reflected in the Fundamental Beliefs. If he or she does not believe in the Fundamentals - then he or she will most likely be dismissed by the church from being a pastor.

The Pastor is paid ? Interesting. That changes the dynamic. Nevertheless, while I admit I go to a church where we don't have the sort of leeway of personal interpretation that you're talking about, I still would regard it as unusual for the pastors to have strong views on the nature of the Sabbath, and yet not teach them to his flock. I understand the ideal you're suggesting, but I don't think it would work exactly like that, humans being what they are. Either way, a pastor who says 'you work it out' when asked for advice from the Bible is a concept that seems odd to me, too. But, I appreciate your sharing this with me.

Quote:

Which is what I stated in the very beginning. You have your belief and interpretation and NO amount of Biblical quotes will change your interpretation. Which is fine. You don't have to change your mind. You've come here to learn OUR interpretation and you now have that.

No matter what you think - you remain our brother. You will not find any two people here or in the SDA church that totally believe the same in all areas.

I've never met anyone who has the exact beliefs that I do in regards to the specifics of honoring God on His Sabbath day. Again - that is fine. Faith is based on the individual not the church. The church will not save you. Put your faith in God and not an organization.

I believe in Hematology.

Quote:

The pastor is paid by the church ? And is not allowed to guide people in their interpretation, but they are encouraged to make up their own minds ? So in one SDA church on the Sabbath, different people will observe the Sabbath differently, as they see fit ? What about Paul's writings about being careful not to offend your brother with a weak conscience ? Won't that just tend to the strictest possible interpretation amongst the group ?

Quote:

Which is what I stated in the very beginning. You have your belief and interpretation and NO amount of Biblical quotes will change your interpretation. Which is fine. You don't have to change your mind. You've come here to learn OUR interpretation and you now have that.

Quote:
Either way, a pastor who says 'you work it out' when asked for advice from the Bible is a concept that seems odd to me, too. But, I appreciate your sharing this with me.

Great. You finally have a clear understanding. This is exactly the way it is in our church. I am sure it is foreign to many churches. But that is the way we do it. We are a church of the Word. Our pastors preach pointing people to the Word. We do not believe something just because our pastor might believe it or say it one way or another. We individually go to scripture and consider what he or she preaches but the WORD is the last and final authority.

If a pastor is asked about what to do on the Sabbath - he will point people to scripture and the principles outlined. From that the individual will consider applications after prayer and seeking God's guidance.

The Jews had it wrong. They made long and restrictive rules of exactly what to do on the Sabbath. Jesus rejected this approach. So should we.

I believe in Hematology.

Quote:
The pastor is paid by the church ? And is not allowed to guide people in their interpretation, but they are encouraged to make up their own minds ? So in one SDA church on the Sabbath, different people will observe the Sabbath differently, as they see fit ?

Very Good. You are now grasping it fairly well. Although as I stated - the pastor will certainly guide the people towards Biblical statements but the individual applications are up to the member. They are indeed encouraged to make up their own minds. ANd yes - in one SDA church you will see a variety of ways that people observe Sabbath.

You will see the same here on the forum if you visit on Sabbath. For instance - on the Sabbath I generally avoid all discussion regarding sports or politics. Others in good faith think nothing of participating in those kinds of discussions.

I try to protect my thoughts only towards holy things on His Sabbath Day. But great minds can think differently. There are as many different ways to keep the Sabbath as there are individuals.

I believe in Hematology.

Quote:
I'm getting a lot of replies for a world where no-one is able to tell me why the Bible says what it does, or what they think it means.

From my perspective on what I've observed - you have received much but as I predicted - you've rejected what we believe and why we believe differently than you.

I believe in Hematology.

Quote:
I'm getting a lot of replies for a world where no-one is able to tell me why the Bible says what it does, or what they think it means.

From my perspective on what I've observed - you have received much but as I predicted - you've rejected what we believe and why we believe differently than you.

Well, at this point, I accept that you allow your church members to follow their own conscience rather than being guided by their leaders, but I have no idea if I reject what you believe, as I don't think anyone has discussed it with me to the point of being willing and able to explain to me why some Bible verses seem to contradict what you believe. In that sense, I know that some verses, when read by people who assume them to mean what the SDA believes, can be seen to support your views. I'm yet to see if the whole Bible can, because if it does, then there's a sensible, Bible based answer to what those verses mean.

BibleOnly - my simple message to you is that sincere brothers and sister in the Lord can disagree to the context and meaning of scripture. Obviously there have been thousands of others who look at our interpretations and sincerely disagree. I have no problem with that. On this earth we know and understand SO little of the magnitude of God. If we get it wrong here on this earth - we will have all of eternity to get it right.

While we are told to study to show thyself approved unto God - we will only get a glimpse of Him here on this earth.

I believe in Hematology.

Originally Posted By: Woody
Quote:

No, I don't. I want to know how the SDA explains those verses.

Originally Posted By: Woody

No matter what you think - you remain our brother. You will not find any two people here or in the SDA church that totally believe the same in all areas.

I've never met anyone who has the exact beliefs that I do in regards to the specifics of honoring God on His Sabbath day. Again - that is fine. Faith is based on the individual not the church. The church will not save you. Put your faith in God and not an organization.

Yes, I agree with most of this. But, I joined a forum to find out how the SDA explains it's views, and how it explains verses that contradict it's views, to me. I'm getting a lot of replies for a world where no-one is able to tell me why the Bible says what it does, or what they think it means.

I posted a reply to your questions near the front of this thread and provided several texts concerning the validity of Sabbath-keeping. Evidently they did not provide a complete answer to all of your questions. I have read through all of the succeeding posts and find that there are some areas that were not fully answered and that probably need further clarification and edification. For instance, your interpretation of Heb. 4:7 wherein you seem to believe that the seventh day Sabbath was changed to "TODAY". So I thought I would provide an explanation for that terminology. If you will read that verse carefully, you will see that it does not refer to the Sabbath, but rather you should not 'harden your heart if you hear His voice', meaning that when you hear the message of Christ, you should not harden your heart against His message of salvation, etc., and it means you should do it TODAY, as opposed to waiting. It does not change the Sabbath.

There are quotes that were previously given that referred you to James about the commandments, telling us that if you break one of them, you have broken them all. That should tell you that they are all still intact...all ten of them.

1 Timothy 1:8-10 provides for the continued use of the law (commandments) in the New Testament era, for they say, "But we know that the law is good, if a man use it lawfully; 9) Knowing this, that the law is not made for a righteous man, but for the lawless and disobedient, for the ungodly and for sinners, for unholy and profane, for murderers of fathers and murderers of mothers, for manslayers, 11) For whoremongers, for them that defile themselves with mankind, for menstealers, for liars, for perjured persons, and if there be any other thing that is contrary to sound doctrine." If you or any of us fit into any of the categories listed in verses 9 and 10, then the law (commandments) will pertain to that person. As it says in verse 9, if you are 'righteous', then the law was not made for you. For all of us, let your conscience be your guide. It says in Romans 6:23 that 'the wages of sin is death'.

As a reminder, the two commands of Jesus...'to love God with all your heart and soul, and to love your neighbor as yourself', point to the Ten Commandments. The keeping of the first four commandments point to our love for God, and the last six commandments involve our conduct and love for our neighbors. Then Jesus said, "If ye love Me, keep My commandments."

In one of your previous posts, you mentioned that there were no commandments before Mt Sinai, so I thought I would provide a text that says otherwise. It is in Genesis 26:5, which says, "Because that Abraham obeyed my voice, and kept my charge, my commandments, my statutes, and my laws." Obviously there were commandments and laws that had been set down by God for His created beings to observe and keep, but there is no further explanation as to their content.

Lastly, it appears that you don't fully understand the meaning of the texts in Colossians 2:16. To get the full context of this verse, you need to go back to verse 14, which says, "Blotting out the handwriting of ordinances that was against us, which was contrary to us, and took it out of the way, nailing it to his cross." It was the ordinances that were fulfilled and discontinued (blotted out). The ordinances involved all of the sacrificial rituals that were part of the sanctuary services that required blood sacrifices for the remission of the sins of the Israelites, and the cleansing of the sanctuary once yearly, which is the Day of Atonement. This is a complete and lengthy study, and should be studied fully to understand the type and anti-type of the heavenly sanctuary and the earthly sanctuary and how their services are related.

Finally, the differences between the Law of God, which was written by His own finger on tablets of stone and placed INSIDE the ark at His directions, and the other laws, called the law of Moses, were placed BESIDE the ark, and were written on a scroll...one is permanent in nature, and the other is not. That is the difference between the two laws.

I hope this answers most of your questions. If you feel that you need more information, feel free to ask for clarification of a particular point, or you need further confirmation.

BibleOnly - my simple message to you is that sincere brothers and sister in the Lord can disagree to the context and meaning of scripture. Obviously there have been thousands of others who look at our interpretations and sincerely disagree. I have no problem with that. On this earth we know and understand SO little of the magnitude of God. If we get it wrong here on this earth - we will have all of eternity to get it right.

While we are told to study to show thyself approved unto God - we will only get a glimpse of Him here on this earth.

Well, what are these forums for then ? I'm not trying to convince anyone, or argue. I just want to know why the SDA has doctrines that are fundamental to it's existence ( it's your name, at the end of the day ), which the Bible seems to contradict. Either I've misunderstood those verses and they mean something else, or the SDA is wrong in it's focus on Sabbath observance. I don't see any other possibilities. Even assuming that it's not wrong in a way that stops SDA members from being saved, nevertheless, this is a forum to discuss theology, and I don't think any doctrine on theology that relies on those who follow it being unable to discuss verses that contradict it, can possibly hold much water. I assume I just have to wait for the person willing and able to explain these verses to me, that is what I am looking for, though.

"Principles" were not done away with, but the "law" was?

What kind of nonsensical logic is that?

How can sin exist??

What is sin? Scriptures define it plainly for us: "Whosoever committeth sin transgresseth also the law: for sin is the transgression of the law" (1 John 3:4). "For by the law is the knowledge of sin" (Romans 3:20). "I had not known sin, but by the law: for I had not known lust, except the law had said, Thou shalt not covet" (Romans 7:7). "For where no law is, there is no transgression" (Romans 4:15). "But sin is not imputed when there is no law" (Romans 5:13). "The strength of sin is the law" (1 Corinthians 15:56).

The Moral Law of God, as contained in the Ark of the Covenant in Heaven (Revelation 11:19 and 15:5), cannot be done away with. The word "fulfilled" in Matthew 5 does not mean "completed". It means he "lived up to its fullest". Now we must "fulfill the law of Christ" (Gal 6:6), and we must be "crucified WITH Christ" (Gal 2:20). We are to "walk, even as he walked." (1 John 2:6), and we are to "follow his steps" (1 Peter 2:21)

If you interpret "fulfilled" with your own preconceived ideas, then none of what I just said above means anything, as Christ "completed" it, so why would we have to follow after something and walk after something that He already completed?

That makes no sense.

~Lysimachus (Marcos S.)