ClubAdventist is back!

Norman W. Klam, passed away Sunday evening, January 1.

Stan

Former North Pacific Union Conference treasurer, Norman W. Klam, passed away Sunday evening, January 1. He was 66. Klam died, surrounded by family, at Southwest Washington Medical Center in Vancouver, Washington, where he had been a patient since suffering an auto accident on Monday, December 26. He leaves his wife, Marlene; daughter, Cheri, a physician in Vancouver; son, Jeffrey, assistant treasurer for the Northern California Conference; and several grandchildren.

11612.jpg

Canadian by birth (and proud of it), Klam graduated from Walla Walla College in 1968. He began his work for the Seventh-day Adventist Church as assistant auditor for the Canadian Union Conference in 1971. In 1976, he took over the treasurer position for the Alberta Conference, moving to the same role for the Canadian Union Conference in 1981.

Klam joined the Oregon Conference as treasurer in 1986, moving to a similar position for the Lake Union Conference in 1992, where he led the treasury for 10 years. Klam moved back to the Northwest in 2002 as North Pacific Union Conference treasurer, working in that capacity until 2008.

Throughout his long career in church financial leadership, Klam served on numerous health system and university boards. He was instrumental in developing Beyond the Bottom Line, the highly successful training seminar for church financial workers and leaders.

“Norm was a great friend and mentor to so many of our church workers,” says Mark Remboldt, NPUC treasurer. “He was a special presence and will be greatly missed by his church family throughout the North American Division and around the world.”

Memorial services are planned for Saturday, Jan. 14, at 3:30 p.m. in the Meadow Glade Adventist Church, 11001 NE 189th Street, Battle Ground, WA 98604.

Messages and cards for Norm's wife, Marlene, son, Jeff, and daughter, Cheri Oellrich, can be sent to the Meadow Glade Church office at the address above.

If you receive benefit to being here please help out with expenses.

https://www.paypal.me/clubadventist

Administrator of a few websites like https://adventistdating.com

Bad bad bad news.............. Norm was considered my 'little brother' after Norm and Marlene and my father and mother adopted each other when Dad called them to work in Bermuda. Many, many years later I stopped in at the North Pacific Conference Office to see Norm. The secretary asked, "Who is it that wants to see him?" I replied, "His big brother". She asked a man next to her, "I didn't know that he had a brother, did you?" He said, "No"....Just then Norm came around the corner and said, "Hey, big brother, how are you doing?" The look on the faces of the other people was priceless. We will miss him.... Nuff Sed

FYI..... The information concerning Norm Klam was a little distorted in mentioning Norm's beginnings working for the denomination.

As Youth/Education Director for the Ontario Quebec Conference I had occasion to visit North Bay, Ontario and have Sabbath dinner with Norm and Marlene. During our visit Norm mentioned that he had a desire to work for the denomination. At that time he was teaching accounting in the local high school. Several months later my father, Frank R. Aldridge, who was the President of the Bermuda Mission called me and said that he was looking for someone to teach accounting and shorthand at the Bermuda Mission.

I remembered what Norm had said and mentioned his name to Dad.

Dad said,' "If you recommend him, I'll hire him ". I said, "I don't know anything about his teaching but he seems like a very fine young man. Dad asked Norm if he could teach shorthand. He said, "NO but I can take a crash course in the summer". I thought that it was very interesting that Norm and Marlene flew to Bermuda and it was two weeks before they got around to asking what the salary was going to be. Three years later when Dad decided to retire, Norm and Marlene said that they were going too. Dad called the Canadian Union and reminded them that they were always complaining that the Canadians did not return after they were 'in the States' for awhile. He suggested that their Union auditor was near to retirement age and Norm (one of their own) would make an excellent choice to begin as Asst. Auditor and be able to step in when the Auditor did retire...and that's what happened.... Nuff Sed..............