ClubAdventist is back!

Exclusiveness

Stan

One of the unwritten doctrines that some seem to have, is the doctrine of exclusiveness, somehow we get extra points with God just for being an Adventist, and that we are more special because of that.

What we get, is a lot more responsibility to take the message around the block and around the world.

It also means, way more ACCOUNTABILITY .

If you receive benefit to being here please help out with expenses.

https://www.paypal.me/clubadventist

Administrator of a few websites like https://adventistdating.com

• Administrators

And it goes one step further when we not only join the church, but stop socializing with all other people groups.

I have a hard time with the sub-cultural sense of humour and other things I see. It's like some people live in a glass bubble. It's okay, I love 'em and all, I just find it hard to be around them sometimes.

I'm not even sure I fit in!

Isaiah 32:17 And the work of righteousness shall be peace; and the effect of righteousness quietness and assurance for ever.

• Members

One of the unwritten doctrines that some seem to have, is the doctrine of exclusiveness, somehow we get extra points with God just for being an Adventist, and that we are more special because of that.

What we get, is a lot more responsibility to take the message around the block and around the world.

It also means, way more ACCOUNTABILITY .

:like: so true, I fail in this very much. :(

phkrause

By the decree enforcing the institution of the papacy in violation of the law of God, our nation will disconnect herself fully from righteousness. When Protestantism shall stretch her hand across the gulf to grasp the hand of the Roman power, when she shall reach over the abyss to clasp hands with spiritualism, when, under the influence of this threefold union, our country shall repudiate every principle of its Constitution as a Protestant and republican government, and shall make provision for the propagation of papal falsehoods and delusions, then we may know that the time has come for the marvelous working of Satan and that the end is near. {5T 451.1}

• Administrators

And it goes one step further when we not only join the church, but stop socializing with all other people groups.

I have a hard time with the sub-cultural sense of humour and other things I see. It's like some people live in a glass bubble. It's okay, I love 'em and all, I just find it hard to be around them sometimes.

I'm not even sure I fit in!

I understand what you are saying Gail. May I suggest that if we only socialize with each other we miss many opporunities to allow them to know and appreciate us and our lifestyle.

I have met many people who say 'I knew a SDA once and they did not eat meat, did not do ___, etc' Seemilgly what they remember is what we don't do. I find that interesting.

If your dreams are not big enough to scare you, they are not big enough for God

GAIL

I can understand when I was working in this one factory

there were a lot of Mexicans and some times I thought

I fit in and understood them and other times I felt lost

with them

dgrimm60

I feel like that just in my own brain sometimes.

• Members

I feel like that just in my own brain sometimes.

LOL I hear ya

phkrause

By the decree enforcing the institution of the papacy in violation of the law of God, our nation will disconnect herself fully from righteousness. When Protestantism shall stretch her hand across the gulf to grasp the hand of the Roman power, when she shall reach over the abyss to clasp hands with spiritualism, when, under the influence of this threefold union, our country shall repudiate every principle of its Constitution as a Protestant and republican government, and shall make provision for the propagation of papal falsehoods and delusions, then we may know that the time has come for the marvelous working of Satan and that the end is near. {5T 451.1}

• 1 month later...
  • Administrators

I understand what you are saying Gail. May I suggest that if we only socialize with each other we miss many opporunities to allow them to know and appreciate us and our lifestyle.

I have met many people who say 'I knew a SDA once and they did not eat meat, did not do ___, etc' Seemilgly what they remember is what we don't do. I find that interesting.

I have a good story to share concerning an SDA that "someone" knew-

My daughter just got a job. We praise the Lord for that, as this one job will replace the 3 that she had! She will be working for a Mormon man who once knew an Adventist and was favourably impressed.

Her responsibility will be to develop an addictions facility to expand it from being a men's only facility to include women. This will include a residence and employment placements, so it's more than just clinical work. It's an administrative position.

In the interview, she was forthright concerning her stand as an Adventist Christian, stating that she would not be available to work Sabbaths excepting cases of crisis. And with this employer that was a good thing. Added to the history he already had with Adventists, it helped her case.

Wow!

Isaiah 32:17 And the work of righteousness shall be peace; and the effect of righteousness quietness and assurance for ever.

• Administrators

One more-

I have a friend that I met through business. He told me a story that where he lives, his mother or mother-in-law is living in an Adventist care home. He has nothing but good to say about the treatment of his family member. :) So he has been very friendly to me as well and we are great friends. He is the one who suffers from portal hypertension and we share prayers back and forth, forwards, chats, etc.

Never underestimate your influence on others! We just need to get out there! :)

• Administrators

Sharing prayers is a great way to bond with someone.

And, in this situation with him being happy about his mother's care it just adds another demension to his experience with us.

You got it ... just get out there! :)

• Members

When I was in school I had to interview about interning in one of the area hospitals. When I interviewed at Portland Adventist Medical Center, I was BLUNTLY told that "just because you're an Adventist, don't expect to be accepted for internship here." That really put me off. I was to list my preference for internship sites, and I did NOT put PAMC as first choice. I went to a Sisters of Profit facility. However, that was a hellhole in which to work. Through other students, PAMC found out I was unhappy at Providence, and, also due to the fact that I was going to be recognized by Squibb Pharmaceuticals for outstanding work in my field, I was offered to finish my internship at PAMC. Oddly, I was treated extremely well.

I have no idea why I'm posting this here. :/

Pam     coffeecomputer.GIF   

Meddle Not In the Affairs of Dragons; for You Are Crunchy and Taste Good with Ketchup.

If we all sang the same note in the choir, there'd never be any harmony.

Funny, isn't it, how we accept Grace for ourselves and demand justice for others?

• Administrators

Why not post this here. The topic is exclusiveness and it appears that PAMC was certainly not being exclusive. Now, I have no idea why I just said that adohduno

We will never know this side of Heaven what good we have done while on this old ball of mud. Perhaps your influence at Sisters of Profit left an impression on a person who needed to know you at that time.

I am glad that you did experience good treatment when you finally did go to PAMC

• Administrators

I second that- and I'm glad you posted that here! :)

How many of our experiences outside of church circles have to do with doctrine, and how many have to actually do with how you interact with others?

Makes you think...

• Administrators

In all seriousness, I seldom run into a situation in which doctrine comes into play. Well, on second thought, perhaps when I say, “Thanks but I won't be available to do this/or that on Friday night or Saturday. May I have a rain-check?” I would guess this could have to do with doctrine. But, no one ever seems to question it, and if they know me well enough to ask me to take part in something, they also know when I go to church..

Or, “I'll pass on the ham, but thanks anyway”. There are so many people who restrict their diets that no one seems to give it a second thought.

IMHO it has to do with how we interact with others that counts; gets their attention. If we live our doctrine, we don't have to preach it ... at least not as often.

• Members

Talking about working at Adventist Hospitals. When FFT moved to Newbury Park/Thousand Oaks, CA. My wife and I decided to move with them. When we got there she told a few of the wife's of others, that had gotten there before us, that she was going to apply at Los Roblos Hospital, I believe that's the name. Well they all told her there were no day time jobs, etc., and that there were no Sabbaths off just because she was an SDA. Well needless to say, she went and applied. Got hired on the spot, for days and they told her she wouldn't have to work on the weekends. I thought that was really cool1

phkrause

• 9 months later...
  • Moderators

I hate to break it to you, but you have a stereotypical, false view of SDAs who live in places like Loma Linda, etc. I've lived almost my entire life in or around this "ghetto"-- gone through the SDA school system from kindergarten to college and the son of SDA teachers and a minister-- and believe me, most of us aren't anything at all like the people you portray.

John 3:16-17

For God so loved the world, that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life. [17] For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but in order that the world might be saved through him.

• Administrators

when i moved here and experienced this for the first time, i was deeply effected.

what i found was believers took each other for granted. they did not value each other. it was as if the power of the luke warm water was more like a jacuzzi, and everyone was deeply relaxed and enjoying it privately.

i placed great value on each one, and they had no place for it. and neither did i feel valued as a fellow believer, as i would if there were only say 20 believers in a 50 thousand population community.

like when a person is newly baptized, and they are really happy and alive, and the older seasoned members smile and nod knowingly, because they know it will wear off.

do you find that fellow believers who share the Sabbath with you are valued by you? in part because it is so uncommon?

do we prize and value the each other in the household of faith equally?

deb

deb

Love awakens love.

Let God be true and every man a liar.

• Administrators

have you experienced living and fellowshipping in remote areas where there are very few sda's per population?

deb

deb

Love awakens love.

Good post debjm. Unfortunately it is all together too true. Having lived in Loma Linda - I can say I experienced the same thing.

May we be one so that the world may be won.
Christian from the cradle to the grave
I believe in Hematology.

• Moderators

There are good reasons that God inspired Ellen White to tell SDAs not to congregate in large "ghettos." Some of those reasons have to do with the kinds of things you write about, but there are also many SDAs in those place who don't fit your description.

For God so loved the world, that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life. [17] For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but in order that the world might be saved through him.

• Moderators

Yes, I do now-- living about 30 miles from Loma Linda in an area that has only a small SDA church. I've also lived from time to time in Phoenix, San Diego and Seattle.

I'm not denying that what you descibe exists; I'm simply saying that it doesn't hold true for many SDAs.

• Moderators

Where in Loma Linda did you live, Woody? And for how long?

• Administrators

There are no generalizations that match everyone, i am not a black and white thinker. Human nature is human nature inside or outside of the church.

God is working to place His attributes in the church to demonstrate his love. This does not mean the church magically will represent Jesus, but Thank God for those individuals who do.

everyone is privileged and special whether they know it or not, the Great sacrifice has been made, the great mercy is there for everyone. Lets let the whole world know.

debjm

deb

Love awakens love.

have you experienced living and fellowshipping in remote areas where there are very few sda's per population?

deb

thumbsup

May we be one so that the world may be won.
Christian from the cradle to the grave
I believe in Hematology.

• Administrators

There are good reasons that God inspired Ellen White to tell SDAs not to congregate in large "ghettos." Some of those reasons have to do with the kinds of things you write about, but there are also many SDAs in those place who don't fit your description.

One good reason is so that we can learn to walk by faith and not get an "in" by association :)

While I don't think I would like to be the lone Adventist in a remote area (doesn't Proverbs say that two are better than one?) because I believe that even one friend or fellow believer can provide companionship and encouragement in hard times,

Having said that I appreciate what value circumstances can be to your witness for Jesus. Faith needs to be exercised! In don't know if it's such a good thing when our faith is tried as a result of being among too many of our own people...