ClubAdventist is back!

Does the Sabbath Doctrine Diminish the Gospel?

Bob Sands

Quote:

Quote:

It is important to recognize that the Sinaitic covenant existed between God and Israel alone. No other nation or people was involved. "The sons of Israel shall observe the sabbath, to celebrate the sabbath throughout their generations as a perpetual covenant. It is a sign between me and the sons of Israel forever" (Exod 31:16, 17). The Sinaitic covenant partners were God and the Israelites only.

[:"red"] "And if you are Christ's, then you are Abraham's seed and heirs according to the promise." [/]Gal 3:29 NKJV

DOVE.gif

Lift Jesus up!!

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bob Sands

• Gerr

• Clio

• Ron Lambert

Quote:

**He learned them directly from the Holy Spirit**

>>which I gave permission being my husband's wife and having the spirtual authority to ask in his name, being one flesh and one bone.

Why would the Spirit teach my husband to honor and reverence the Sabbath in the totality of it, if it wasn't for now as well? << Clio

With no desire to diminish your personal testimony, which I found refreshing, may I add a couple of thoughts?

Re: ** And since God does not speak contrary to that which He has already spoken through the Word, written by His servants, the Holy Spirit would only be repeating that which was already available for your husband's benefit from the Word.

Re: >> Your oneness with your husband allowed you to ask for him in all righteousness, as if asking for yourself. There is a measure of that oneness for any child of God who wishes to ask for another of God's children. The only exclusiveness from the family of God is that of personal preference as exercised by freedom of choice. And when one is a slave to the prince of darkness, he/she has no freedom of choice until direct intervention by the power of the Holy Spirit/our Holy Father.

[:"red"] "For the mystery of iniquity doth already work:" [/] 2 Thessalonians 2:7 KJV

[:"red"] "And without controversy great is the mystery of godliness: God was manifested in the flesh, Justified in the Spirit, Seen by angels, Preached among the Gentiles, Believed on in the world, Received up in glory."

[/] 1 Tim 3:16 NKJV

DOVE.gif

Lift Jesus up!!

Quote:

Clio, I am not totalyl in sync with your use of Abba, and your hostility in your last post, but I fear, I am not the one in need of adjustment!!!!

BobS,

Though not in the habit of using the famalial term of Abba,

I find no fault with its' use anymore than I would find fault with the term of Papa or Daddy.

And I sensed no hostility in her post. I agree with you, as to adjustments. Though hers may be fewer than my own, she is still human and it is doubtful she feels she's attained yet. Though I didn't see the need for adjustment in that particular post. Though not invited into this discussion, it does remind me of some other disciple's attitudes.

[:"red"] "AT THAT time the disciples came up and asked Jesus, Who then is [really] the greatest in the kingdom of heaven?

And He called a little child to Himself and put him in the midst of them,

And said, Truly I say to you, unless you repent (change, turn about) and become like little children [trusting, lowly, loving, forgiving], you can never enter the kingdom of heaven [at all]." [/] Matthew 18:1-3 AMP Blessings!

DOVE.gif

Lift Jesus up!!

Quote:

That is what the title of this thread is all about, "Does it Diminish the Gospel?"

Since the gospel of Jesus Christ is given without our works, since it is a gift to those who believe, there will be many in the kingdom who receive the gift but deny the rewards that come from allowing God to work through them for the salvation of others(which brings honor and glory to God) as well as personal reward for faithfulness. This includes the keeping of the Sabbath as God has instructed.

[:"red"] "For we must all appear and be revealed as we are before the judgment seat of Christ, so that each one may receive [his pay] according to what he has done in the body, whether good or evil [considering what his purpose and motive have been, and what he has achieved, been busy with, and given himself and his attention to accomplishing].

" [/] 2 Corinthians 5:10 AMP

DOVE.gif

Lift Jesus up!!

• Moderators

Quote:

Or the one's you cite are not realizing how adamant the Jews were and are about the Sabbath being their symbol. The church I go to, Presbyterian, are Sunday Sabbatarians because they are inconsistent with the Covenant Theology. If you want to hang on to the 10 Commandments either you have to keep the Sabbath like the Jews that Acts 15 says is not necessary, or believe the Sabbath/Saturday was changed by the Apostles to the 1st day like the Westminister Confession states but has no Biblical basis.

[:"blue"]1. Keep the Sabbath like the Jews? Jesus condemned many of the rabbinic Sabbath prohibitions!!! Jesus is the model Sabbath keeper, not the Scribes & Pharisees!!!

2. Do you seriously think the letter of the Apostles in Acts 15 is comprehensive of the duties they expected of the Gentile believers? Please note that they only mention only FOUR things: a) abstention from things offered to idols, B) not to eat blood, c) things strangled, d) sexual immorality.

If by Acts 15 you are saying it gave Gentiles license to disregard the 4th commandment, then are you prepared to accept also that it would have given them license to disregard the 3rd? the 5th? the 6th? the 8th-10th? since these are not mentioned either? [/]

Quote:

Quote:

VII. As it is the law of nature, that, in general, a due proportion of time be set apart for the worship of God; so, in His Word, by a positive, moral, and perpetual commandment binding all men in all ages, He has particularly appointed one day in seven, for a Sabbath, to be kept holy unto him:[34] which, from the beginning of the world to the resurrection of Christ, was the last day of the week: and, from the resurrection of Christ, was changed into the first day of the week,[35] which, in Scripture, is called the Lord's Day,[36] and is to be continued to the end of the world, as the Christian Sabbath.[37]

VIII. This Sabbath is to be kept holy unto the Lord when men, after a due preparing of their hearts, and ordering of their common affairs beforehand, do not only observe an holy rest all the day from their own works, words, and thoughts about their wordly employments and recreations,[38] but also are taken up the whole time in the public and private exercises of His worship, and in the duties of necessity and mercy.[39]

[:"blue"]Well, thank you very much for the above quote. It just proves the Bible's point, that the Sabbath rest is meant for ALL people, Jew or Gentile. The Gentile needs rest from his labor no less than the Jewk!!! The Gentile needs time for worship no less than the Jew!!! [/]

Quote:

It is silly to argue that Christ a Jew was arguing that the Sabbath was for all mankind since he did not emphasize that to the Lady at the Well. He was pointing out that the Sabbath was for Man's enjoyment, not the other way around.

It is so silly to argue that that Acts 15 then becomes an absurd discussion and Heb 4 meaningless. Gerry, your lack of discernment is showing.

[:"blue"]Bob, you can call me silly, lacking in discernment, or whatever other words you can think of, but look carefully & see whose slip is showing.

1) If, as I said above, you take Acts 15 as giving Gentiles license to disregard the Sab, then by your reasoning, it has also given Gentiles license to dishonor their parents, steal, kill, bear false witness, & covet!!!

2) By quoting the Westminster Confession which affirms the necessity of the Sabbath even for Gentiles, what have you done to your position that it was only meant for Jews?

3) If, as you mentioned above, Jesus was pointing out that the Sab was for "MAN'S ENJOYMENT", why then do you want to exclude Gentiles from enjoying it?

Silly? No discernment?

Gerry

[/]

Gerry,

1. I have stated previously that the Noachic law was from Creation to the Present. The standards not to kill or steal have been universal laws not just for the Jews which the Decalogue was, which you persist in saying (ADD I think we had determined).

2. I quoted the Westminister Confession, not because I agree with it but to show you how those hanging on to the Decalogue make Sunday justified as the day they now worship on, without Biblical basis.

3. The Gentiles can enjoy the Sabbath rest daily as Heb 4 says, as well as the Jews, that is so much better.

Yes silly , no discernment (maybe ADD),

Bob

• Moderators

Quote:

Gerry,

1. I have stated previously that the Noachic law was from Creation to the Present. The standards not to kill or steal have been universal laws not just for the Jews which the Decalogue was, which you persist in saying (ADD I think we had determined).

2. I quoted the Westminister Confession, not because I agree with it but to show you how those hanging on to the Decalogue make Sunday justified as the day they now worship on, without Biblical basis.

3. The Gentiles can enjoy the Sabbath rest daily as Heb 4 says, as well as the Jews, that is so much better.

Yes silly , no discernment (maybe ADD),

Bob

[:"blue"] Sabbath rest daily? I take it you are either retired or so rich you no longer have to work for a living, or on the dole to not work every day!

RE: Noahide Laws.

1. Do not murder. 2. Do not steal. 3. Do not worship false gods. 4. Do not be sexually immoral. 5. Do not eat anything of the body of unslaughtered animal. 6. Do not blaspheme. 7. Set up righteous and honest courst & apply fair justice in judging offenders.

Since this says nothing about dishonoring parents, I suppose it's ok to do so? Says nothing about bearing false witness or coveting, therefore it's ok to indulge in them?

The Noahide Laws does not forbid eating blood, but Acts 15 does, so which one takes precedence?

If you accept the Talmud proposition that only the Noahide Laws are applicable to Gentiles, are you prepared to accept other pronouncements of the Talmud? Like: 1) Only Jews are men, Gentiles are not. 2) A Jew can cheat a Gentile. 3) Daughters of Gentiles are filthy from birth. Etc. etc. I suggest you read what the Talmud says about Gentiles.

Bob, do you not realize what all these hoops you are jumping through just to escape the Sabbath? Take the plain reading of the Word & you don't have to do all that theological contorsions. [/]

Gerry

You don't have to go to the Talmud to see declarative statements by God that no longer apply to Christians today, the OT is full of them. Your literal reading of the Bible must have an interesting time with the Parable of the Rich Man and Lazarus. If your interpretation of Mark 2: 28 is so literal how do you deal with the vision of Heaven and Hell in the Rich Man and Lazarus.

• Moderators

Quote:

You don't have to go to the Talmud to see declarative statements by God that no longer apply to Christians today, the OT is full of them. Your literal reading of the Bible must have an interesting time with the Parable of the Rich Man and Lazarus. If your interpretation of Mark 2: 28 is so literal how do you deal with the vision of Heaven and Hell in the Rich Man and Lazarus.

[:"blue"]If that's so, then why do you put so much stock on the rabbinic Noahide Laws?

Poor discernment notwithstanding, I think I do understand the difference between what is literal, a parable, allegory, metaphor, typical & antitypical, fact, or fiction. And you've been providing too much fiction. mittelgr124.gifmittelgr124.gifmittelgr124.gif [/]

Gerry

Gerry, there is a lot that is unsaid in the OT. Whether the Talmud or the Apocpraphal books tell the "between the lines" story like how Cain knew he had done wrong or what the commandment were that Abraham obeyed or whether a Sabbath was kept from Creation.

You still haven't answered my question about the Rich Man and Lazarus. You would prabably be better suited to a Messiahnic Jewish Congregation. You seem to want to cling to the Jewish customs.

You question about whether I am rich suggesting resting with Jesus everyday, the rest with Jesus is not "laying on our bed" totally inactive, it is at peace with God as only the Gospel can give.

Gerry, you run the risk of those trying to make a point throwing their hands up like Stan (not Jansen) who saw you chasing your tail. I have made many statements and quoted many verses such as Deut 5 that indicated the 10 Commandments were not with their fathers, yet you continue like a frisky puppy chasing your tail as you have seen it only for the first time. Stan finally had enough of the silliness, I am bordering on it. I believe this is also why a number of serious Christians seeking truth have moved on rather than argue the same established points over and over.

LHC -

At that time, although my husband was not a slave to the adversary, he was demon-afflicted from a generational curse.

Generational curses are Biblical. Read Numbers and Deuteronomy... There are some things that carry curses to the 1000th generation....

He was not able to read, understand, comprehend or soak in the word. The fausten'ke that was stealing his very life would not allow it.

There was no other avenue for him to learn the things of Abba Father other than from the Holy Spirit in a way the fausten'ke could not disrupt. And only my intercession with my spiritual authority as his wife and one with him could make it possible.

The Spirit has shared with me, when times were darkest, as I prayed for him, that there are any number of men who seek diligently Abba's heart with whom I could have been happy. There was only one choice of a wife for my husband.

But when all seemed lost, and the hardest part was before me, Abba still graciously gave me a choice. And chose to continue to do what was necessary... which was to simply show up, day after day, after weary day... and my Bridegroom fought the battle for me.

And today, I was able to see just how much my earthly bridegroom has changed and become more like my precious Jesus. He apologized to me today, in front of our children, for undermining my authority in their eyes from the time they were itty bitty, by over-riding my discipline.

He then told them, that he loved me more than them, but less than God, and no one, not even his beloved children, would cause me a moments pain, sorrow, or sadness. He was going to make sure of it... because I rock his world.

If an earthly husband can feel so for his wife, how much more must my precious Bridegroom feel for each one of us. It is such a personal relationship Jesus has for each of us.... wow.... I gotta think on this some more....

That's big.... that's really, really, big......

Clio

A heart where He alone has first place.

When I was first learning to pray in a way pleasing to Jesus and Abba Father, I had a dreadful time saying "God". It reminded me to much of all the years I spent worshipping gods and not Abba.

I tried and tried to get past it.... and finally I cried out Help! And I was given the word Abba.

At the time, I didn't know it was in the Bible. My two witnesses were from the Word itself on that one. I found where Jesus called Abba Father, Abba, and I found where Paul said we are to cry Abba Abba....

I was stunned. Abba Father had told me I was to call Him Abba. I have been shown so many verses in the Bible that I had never heard of... but these have become two of my smile-makers.

Attained? Attained what? I know the pain my actions have caused my Jesus... and the loving heart of Abba Father. I know how far short of the mark my actions sometimes fall.... But I do live with a conscious effort to please Them. Not to "not sin" but to please Those Whom I love so much.

I causes me physical heart-pain to know I have disappointed Them. *sigh* They are so gracious to me... how could I possibly cause Them pain....

I love You Jesus. Teach me how to love You more!

Clio

Quote:

LHC -

**There are some things that carry curses to the 1000th generation....**

He was not able to read, understand, comprehend or soak in the word. The ##fausten'ke## that was stealing his very life would not allow it.

%%There was no other avenue%% for him to learn the things of Abba Father other than from the Holy Spirit in a way the fausten'ke could not disrupt. And %%only my intercession with my spiritual authority as his wife and one with him could make it possible.%%

The Spirit has shared with me, when times were darkest, as I prayed for him, that there are any number of men who seek diligently Abba's heart with whom I could have been happy. %%There was only one choice of a wife for my husband.%%

And today, I was able to see just how much my earthly bridegroom has changed and become more like my precious Jesus. He apologized to me today, in front of our children, for undermining my authority in their eyes from the time they were itty bitty, by over-riding my discipline.

$$$$$He then told them, that he loved me more than them, but less than God, and no one, not even his beloved children, would cause me a moments pain, sorrow, or sadness. He was going to make sure of it... because I rock his world.

If an earthly husband can feel so for his wife, how much more must my precious Bridegroom feel for each one of us. It is such a personal relationship Jesus has for each of us.... wow.... I gotta think on this some more....

That's big.... that's really, really, big......$$$$$

Clio

Re: ** [:"red"] "He always stands by his covenant....the commitment he made to a thousand generations.

He hath remembered his covenant for ever, the word which he commanded to a thousand generations."[/] Psalm 105:8 KJV 1 Chron 16:15

And if our Father's committment started with your husband, choosing you to be His instrument, it appears you have many years to look forward to with joy.

Re: ## I don't understand the term, fausten'ke.

Re: %% I recognize a comment taken from the Spirit of Prophecy I find not inconsistent with the Omnipotent, that also gives me great peace and encouragement should my own beloved be lost to my personal care, though I do believe it was truly in God's providence we came together at the time we did. And as a direct answer to personal prayer.

[:"blue"] "Colporteur Ministry, page 114, paragraph 1

Chapter Title: Help for Every Difficulty

A Thousand Ways.--Our heavenly Father has a thousand ways to provide for us of which we know nothing. Those who accept the one principle of making the service of God supreme, will find perplexities vanish, and a plain path before their feet.-- The Ministry of Healing, p. 481.(1905)" [/] (Bold type mine for emph LHC)

Re: $$$$ It is my settled conclusion that, while the Divine principles never change, God's mercy and grace is flexible and enough to meet every unique human experience in His created universe for those who receive Him when He whispers in their ear, [:"red"] "...saying, This is the way, walk ye in it, when ye turn to the right hand, and when ye turn to the left.

[/] Isaiah 30:21 KJV

[:"red"] "So try to walk a middle course--but those who fear God will succeed either way." [/] Eccl 7:18 NLT

DOVE.gif

Lift Jesus up!!

• Moderators

Quote:

Gerry, there is a lot that is unsaid in the OT. Whether the Talmud or the Apocpraphal books tell the "between the lines" story like how Cain knew he had done wrong or what the commandment were that Abraham obeyed or whether a Sabbath was kept from Creation.

You still haven't answered my question about the Rich Man and Lazarus.

[:"blue"]Are you now going to tell me that like many non-SDA christians you now believe that this story is literal? [/]

Quote:

You would prabably be better suited to a Messiahnic Jewish Congregation. You seem to want to cling to the Jewish customs.

[:"blue"]Jewish customs? Friend, when God commands a custom, I don't care what anyone will call, Jewish, Japanese, Chinese, Swedish, or whatever, if it is a custom commanded by God I will follow it.

[:"red"]"And as His [Jesus'] CUSTOM was, He went into the synagogue on the Sabbath day...." Lk 4:16 NKJ. [/] [/]

Quote:

You question about whether I am rich suggesting resting with Jesus everyday, the rest with Jesus is not "laying on our bed" totally inactive, it is at peace with God as only the Gospel can give.

[:"blue"]So, this rest that you speak of that the gospel gives, has nothing to do with physical rest? You who claim to be enjoying spiritual rest, can continue with your usual business pursuits 24/7? You who claim to be enjoying spiritual rest, can work your animals, or employees 24/7?

If you, who claim to be enjoying spiritual rest everyday, can't even set aside ONE day exclusively for God, how can anyone believe you are resting 24/7 for Him?

Can't you see, Bob, that you have fallen into the rabbinic Corban pit? Look at this.

Corban is to the 5th as "Today" is to the 4th

What does this mean? The rabbis have skillfully nullified the demands of the 5th commandment by their Corban argument. Ditto the "today" line of reasoning has nullified the 4th commandment.

Look at Isaiah 56. Isaiah predicted salvation coming to Gentiles, "the foreigner who join themselves to the LORD, to serve Him." Isa 56:6,3. What did Isaiah predict they will do? One of those things he predicted is that they will keep His Sabbaths, and "hold fast My covenant." Isa 56:2,4,6. Not as a separate people, but are to be one with Israel. [:"red"]"For My house shall be called a house of prayer FOR ALL NATIONS." 56:7 NKJ. [/]

Paul agrees with this and proclaims that, "There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither slave nor free, there is neither male nor female; for YOU ARE ALL ONE IN CHRIST JESUS." Gal 3:28 NKJ.

Or are you going to say that like your eisegesis of Mk 2:27, you are going say that "all nations" also mean only Jews? [/]

Gerry

Quote:

I don't either LHC. I don't know what it means, I only know what it looked like to my spiritual eyes. I have a feeling I'm not supposed to know for sure what it is... would be detrimental....and most likely dangerous.

Is the term I was given for what True Jesus broke off my husband, and with His Living Blood dissolved the claws driven deep into my husband's guts...

I do know I'm looking forward to many, many years with him.

I believe your settled conclusion has extreme merit. Extreme in that I believe you are totally correct and extreme in the amazing extent to which Abba Father will go to meet us in the places in which we find ourselves. There is nothing "plain" or "conservative" about my Abba Father or Jesus. They are radical, extreme, and awesome....

Clio

Quote:

Quote:

I don't either LHC. I don't know what it means, I only know what it looked like to my spiritual eyes. >>I have a feeling I'm not supposed to know for sure what it is... would be detrimental....and most likely dangerous.<<

There are two major mysteries in the Bible that seem to follow us around, for sure all believers in Jesus. One is the mystery of godliness. The other the mystery of iniquity.

Your comment may very well be true. I have found myself too well acquainted with the mystery of iniquity as it is, and joyfully search for the mystery of godliness as found in Jesus, in which the peace that passes understanding becomes a daily comfort in reality. To see our heavenly Father as Sovereign Lord even in the worst of circumstances opens up a vista of heavenly peace impossible to pass on to others except they also have passed through the fire of trials promised to those who would follow the Lord of glory.

[:"red"] "Beloved, do not be amazed and bewildered at the fiery ordeal which is taking place to test your quality, as though something strange (unusual and alien to you and your position) were befalling you.

But insofar as you are sharing Christ's sufferings, rejoice, so that when His glory [full of radiance and splendor] is revealed, you may also rejoice with triumph [exultantly].

If you are censured and suffer abuse [because you bear] the name of Christ, blessed [are you--happy, fortunate, to be envied, with life-joy, and satisfaction in God's favor and salvation, regardless of your outward condition], because the Spirit of glory, the Spirit of God, is resting upon you. On their part He is blasphemed, but on your part He is glorified." [/] 1 Pet 4:12-14 Amp

DOVE.gif

Blessings!

Lift Jesus up!!

LHC -

I cannot help but agree. When we first lost the ranch, I thought to myself, I can stand anything having come through this with Jesus.

Then last year as my husband began dying by inches, I thought to myself, how could I have thought I can go through anything, surely I cannot go through this? And then Jesus lifted me up, and again, I went through what I could not conceive I could have endured.

As the prognosis got worse and worse and worse, I remember thinking, wow... had we not lost the ranch, I couldn't have withstood this, surely my faith would have failed....

And now... now... I can recall the prayers I prayed to refine me in Your Fire Jesus... remove the dross... make me a vessel worthy to be filled with Your Spirit.

All around me, those who know my husband, would worry about him... the docs kept trying to prepare me for the worst... and each time, I could only serenely say... "He's not going to die. His survival is assured, his healing only delayed." My husband's doc, who is mine too, kept trying to get me to see a counselor... and I kept asking why?

He kept saying you're too calm. It's normal, it's not natural, you can't deny this and expect to be able to function at the level you need to for work, your kids, you husband and to maintain your health. I finally told him I was seeing the best Counselor in the area... He never asked, and I never said, but that Counselor was the Holy Spirit. grin.gif

I had tremendous support from prayer warriors dear to my heart, who I will someday meet on the Sea of Glass.

What awesome truth in the verses you brought... Thank you.

Beloved, do not be amazed and bewildered at the fiery ordeal which is taking place to test your quality, as though something strange (unusual and alien to you and your position) were befalling you.

But insofar as you are sharing Christ's sufferings, rejoice, so that when His glory [full of radiance and splendor] is revealed, you may also rejoice with triumph [exultantly].

If you are censured and suffer abuse [because you bear] the name of Christ, blessed [are you--happy, fortunate, to be envied, with life-joy, and satisfaction in God's favor and salvation, regardless of your outward condition], because the Spirit of glory, the Spirit of God, is resting upon you. On their part He is blasphemed, but on your part He is glorified." 1 Pet 4:12-14 Amp

Quote:

What awesome truth in the verses... Thank you.

[:"red"] "But he that received seed into the good ground is he that heareth the word, and understandeth it; which also beareth fruit, and bringeth forth, some an hundredfold, some sixty, some thirty." [/]

Matthew 13:23 KJV DOVE.gif

Quote:

Beloved, do not be amazed and bewildered at the fiery ordeal which is taking place to test your quality, as though something strange (unusual and alien to you and your position) were befalling you.

If you are censured and suffer abuse [because you bear] the name of Christ, blessed [are you--happy, fortunate, to be envied, with life-joy, and satisfaction in God's favor and salvation, regardless of your outward condition], because the Spirit of glory, the Spirit of God, is resting upon you. On their part He is blasphemed, but on your part He is glorified." 1 Pet 4:12-14 Amp

Clio,

Your personal testimony literally raises the hair on the back of my neck. I cannot say the same emotions manifest themselves that occur when Jesus or His angels speak to me, but I'd venture to say, if we never meet this side of the kingdom, I will recognize you when I see you there by the moving of the Spirit in a similar vein, except it will be untrammeled by earthly vanity.

It's always a mutual blessing when the sower sees the seed take root.

Keep the faith!! Hope your Sabbath proves to be a joyful one.

Lift Jesus up!!

LHC -

I count you among a similar group for myself! Somehow... I have a feeling that all those who have appointments such as these will find themselves conveniently close to one another.... and recognition will be easy...

This Sabbath has been particularly joyful... My husband looks ahead instead of to the grave... And Jesus again fulfilled His promise in ways unlooked for and un-thought of.

Clio

Quote:

And Jesus again fulfilled His promise in ways unlooked for and un-thought of.

Clio

And amen!! Keep looking up!

DOVE.gif

Lift Jesus up!!