ClubAdventist is back!

The Spirit Of Prophecy & Military Service

Overaged

Doug; I understand the point of that passage to mean that that government, at that time was actively trying to do something to make things right.

I think if you read the entirety of the three articles I just posted tonight, and read them a little slower, that you will get a different picture of all this which won't be so negative. Context is everything my friend.

"People [rarely] see...the bright light which is in the clouds..." (Job 37:21)

"I cannot know why suddenly the storm

should rage so fiercely round me in it's wrath

But this I know: God watches all my path

And I can trust"

"God helps us to draw strength from the storm" - Overaged

Faith makes things possible; it does not make them easy, Steps To Christ

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Overaged

• ClubV12

• doug yowell

• CoAspen

I've read it myself from the original source Doug, yeah, he really said that.

The "madness" is a referrence to those who would continue to resist the draft to the point of facing execution. I think that comes under the heading of: "Though I deliver my body to be burned...." It would be essentially suicide to resist to the point of death from a spirit of rebellion or over zealous Christianity when it was not necessary. There is a time to be a martyr and a time to use some common sense! The Civil War, the Spirit of Prophecy makes VERY CLEAR, was NOT in any way a worthy, noble or holy war. It was God punishing America for the sin of slavery! UNLIKE WW1 and WW2 where the issues were clear, those were, without question, "noble wars". Still, no Adventist was called to enlist, but to do their duty if they were drafted (as Desmond Doss was).

And yet, even during the Civil War, the counsel was: Once you are called up (conscripted, drafted, forced) then you have a duty to serve your Government. Running, hiding, escaping the draft was NOT condoned.

Flash forward to the Viet Nam war: No matter what position you might take on it, the PRINCIPLE here is once you are called up, go and serve, render unto Ceaser. That puts a whole new light on "draft dodgers" fleeing to Canada!

There is no question Ellen White condemed the Civil War in the strongest terms. It was a "bad" war all around, nothing noble about it. It was also clear, WW1 was a "noble war". I wonder what she would have said about Korea? Viet Nam? Iraq? Hmmmmm,,,,,,

Good questions Club...Perhaps Ellen White would have something to say about today's "just war" doctrines that we see floating around. I am not so sure it would be all in favor of; but as we are seeing in the history I am outlining, common sense, and context in the Light of Bible counsel would have to prevail in these or in any future conflicts that may present upon the world stage.

And I can trust"

There is no question Ellen White condemed the Civil War in the strongest terms. It was a "bad" war all around, nothing noble about it. It was also clear, WW1 was a "noble war". I wonder what she would have said about Korea? Viet Nam? Iraq? Hmmmmm,,,,,,

This makes me wonder, and I quote you here Club not to dissent your post - its just its your post it was in bwink , why it was that the war that freed slaves was not considered noble, but a world war was.

What it appears to me is that a war fought on foreign soil was better than one fought at home. I sense a bit of denial and nationalism there. I am not insulting her for that if it was the case as its natural, but I think it bears some consideration.

Doug; I understand the point of that passage to mean that that government, at that time was actively trying to do something to make things right.

I think if you read the entirety of the three articles I just posted tonight, and read them a little slower, that you will get a different picture of all this which won't be so negative. Context is everything my friend.

No negativity on my part. I assumed that JW was referring to the U.S. government in general and I find the following reasoning practical and not un-Biblical.The lack of labeling this war immoral obviously springs from the purpose and necessity of the war.Many times healing comes only after pain.

EC, I was completely surprised when I first came across Sister Whites references to the Civil War. Much of what she wrote concerning this conflict and the issues of slavery were from direct visions, divine revelation.

One recurring theme: God was punishing this Nation, both the North and the South. The North for not taking action soon enough, for tolerating, even encouraging slavery. Some of her reports, what she saw in vision, I would hesitate to post here. They are extremely controversial and troubling. Angels and demon's played a roll on both sides. Generals sending their troops into battle KNOWING THEY WOULD BE WIPED OUT, but it would enhance their own personal military career. She says that Satan "loved to see the poor soldiers mowed down". The corruption of the Government, on both sides, was profound. Senators and leaders from Washington would come to view certain battles. Tables were set up, fine wine was served, a party like atmosphere prevailed, while the slaughter commenced. For many, this was literally a GAME, played at the expense of blood lust and career gain.

There was nothing noble about the Civil War in any regard.

Early in the conflict the North had no intent of ending slavery! It was simply to put down a rebellion and force the South into line. Even Lincoln himself didn't have a problem with slavery. One proposal, by the NORTH, was to round up the slaves and literally ship them back to Africa to deal with the problem! Only late in the war did the North finally realize they HAD to deal with the slave issue.

Quote:
God was punishing this Nation, both the North and the South. The North for not taking action soon enough, for tolerating, even encouraging slavery.

What did Jesus have to say about slavery?

May we be one so that the world may be won.
Christian from the cradle to the grave
I believe in Hematology.

There is slavery, and then there is slavery!

The way America did slavery was of the worst possible sort. There was virtually no compassion of any kind for slaves, they were treated as animals.

Compare that to Paul telling the slaves of Ceasers court to return to their master and serve him well. And entirely different slave environment.

Bear in mind, while what I am posting may be considered "my opinion", it does in fact, mirror what I have read in the Spirit of Prophecy. Much of what I am saying is simply rephrasing what James, Ellen and other pioneers were saying of that time concerning the war.

Interesting isn't it how Jesus didn't speak out against it.

May we be one so that the world may be won.
Christian from the cradle to the grave
I believe in Hematology.

It's that "rephrasing" thing that worries me...

And I can trust"

Interesting isn't it how Jesus didn't speak out against it.
Do you mean against war Woody?

And I can trust"

I think he meant slavery OA.

As to rephrasing, or words to that affect, I can certainly provide specific quotes on any given issue that might be in question. As for this thread, I just feel like it's more of a conversation, my "opinions" if you would.

We do see in the bible a number of examples of slavery where it was done in a "noble" way. To some degree that was also the case during the Civil War time, but by and large, slavery at that time, in this country, was done in a most heinous fashion.

In particular the law that demanded citizens turn in escaped slaves to be returned to their master was especially troubling to Ellen White. Her counsel was to break that law, to hide the slave, to help them escape, EVEN IF you might go to jail!

I think he meant slavery OA.

As to rephrasing, or words to that affect, I can certainly provide specific quotes on any given issue that might be in question. As for this thread, I just feel like it's more of a conversation, my "opinions" if you would.

Oh; I see. Well that is an interesting question/observation too. I don't know. What do others following this topic think about that? Did Jesus speak out against slavery? Or was He in favor of it?

Apparently; this war we are discussing was atleast in part about slavery, so it might have some relevance to the OP?

I would just add that i didn't start this topic to debate away about one specific war, or one specific issue such as slavery. My intentions are to go through some of the documented history, up to our current day, of Adventists & Military Service. The idea is to aim for a whole picture view, rather than a segmented view, of where we actually do/should stand now.

And I can trust"

I agree OA, the Civil War and even WW1, as has been mentioned, give us some principles to go by as we have direct testimony from Ellen White on these conflicts. But I to would like to see the big picture, including what is the counsel today?

WW1 is an interesting case because unlike the Civil War, it was a "noble" war, but the same principle apply. No enlistment, and in the case of a draft, do your duty. It was also the cause of a MAJOR split in the church. Where some, particulary in Europe, felt that to "do your duty" to country was a violation of your duty to God. It was said, non combatants should go to their death by firing squad rather than join the military. This was considered quite fanatical by Ellen White and she strongly opposed it.

Chapter 8—Counsel Concerning Enlistment

Then Ellen White turns to certain very practical phases of the crisis of the times. Concerning our allegiance to the government she wrote:

I saw that it is our duty in every case to obey the laws of our land, unless they conflict with the higher law which God spoke with an audible voice from Sinai, and afterward engraved on stone with His own finger. “I will put my laws into their mind, and write them in their hearts; and I will be to them a God, and they shall be to me a people.”

He who has God’s law written in the heart, will obey God rather than men, and will sooner disobey all men than deviate in the least from the commandment of God. God’s people, taught by the inspiration of truth, and led by a good conscience to live by every word of God, will take His law, written in their hearts, as the only authority which they can acknowledge or consent to obey. The wisdom and authority of the divine law are supreme.— Testimonies, Vol. 1, p. 361.

With the principle laid down that the Christian is duty bound to obey the laws of the land, unless there is a conflict with God’s higher law, Ellen White then comes to a very critical point, that of enlistment in an army which makes no provision for individual conscience. We quote from the next paragraph in the testimony:

I was shown that God’s people, who are His peculiar treasure, cannot engage in this perplexing war, for it is opposed to every principle of their faith. In the army they cannot obey the truth and at the same time obey the requirements of their officers. There would be a continual violation of conscience. Worldly men are governed by worldly principles. . . . But God’s people cannot be governed by these motives. . . .

Those who love God’s commandments will conform to every good law of the land. But if the requirements of the rulers are such as conflict with the laws of God, the only question to be settled is, Shall we obey God, or man?— Testimonies, Vol. 1, pp. 361-362. (Emphasis supplied.)

The reader must bear in mind that when this statement was published in January, 1863, there was as yet no draft. All military service in the Union forces was on a purely enlistment basis. A man entered the army by volunteering his services and at the same time became without reservation subject to the orders of his officers. There was a sharp conflict with the fourth commandment and the sixth of God’s law.

There was no provision for Sabbath observance or noncombatancy. “In the army they” could not “obey the truth and at the same time obey the requirements of their officers.”

We should pause to note at this juncture that there are some who have taken this January, 1863, E. G. White statement that “in the army they (Seventh-day Adventists) cannot obey the truth and at the same time obey the requirements of their officers” (Testimonies, Vol. 1, p. 361) to mean that at no time and under no circumstances can a Seventh-day Adventist be loyal to God and engage in military service.

It must be recognized that Ellen White was speaking of the circumstances in connection with “this perplexing war”—the Civil War—at that period when military service was on an enlistment basis only, and there was no provision whatsoever for the convictions of individual conscience. 4

And I can trust"

Chapter 9—The First Enrollment Law and the Draft

In March, 1863, a little less than three months after the publication of the testimony article referred to above, with its guiding counsels, the Congress of the United States passed an act for “the enrollment of all able bodied male citizens between the ages of eighteen and forty-five,” and the president was authorized to make drafts for military service.

Although this Conscription Bill of March, 1863, made no provision for noncombatant service, it did allow one drafted to be released, either by the furnishing of a substitute, or by the payment of $300. This provision was welcomed by the Adventist believers as a providential means of avoiding combatant service and conflicts over Sabbath observance, but it also carried a threat of a new and growing danger. With such a call for means upon our brethren in the purchasing of substitutes, the financial interest of the cause was imperiled.

Recognizing this danger, James White wrote:

The advancement of the third message is the highest object on earth for which we can labor. Whatever suffering there may be elsewhere, this cause should be the last to suffer for want of means. Should our brethren be drafted, they should, if necessary, mortgage their property to raise the three hundred, rather than to accept means that should go into the Lord’s treasury. We would say this even of our ministers.—Review and Herald, Nov. 24, 1863.

In urging that the money raised by Systematic Benevolence should not be lessened nor diverted from the support of the ministry, he cited his own practice. Without lessening his usual annual payment into this fund, he had laid aside an equal amount to help drafted ministers, if necessary. A year later, he claimed as “one privilege,” the payment of “ten dollars to each efficient minister who shall be drafted from among us, to help him pay the $300.” — Review and Herald, Sept. 27, 1864

Thus he set an example of faithfulness in the support of the cause, and in helping those who might be involved in the draft. A similar spirit was manifest throughout the field. One of our ministers, Elder Isaac Sanborn, facing payment for a note which was soon coming due, inserted a notice in the Review stating that he had borrowed $150.00 to clear another brother from the draft, and inviting the help of any who would like to assist “in this enterprise.”

It was this spirit of mutual helpfulness in providing funds for the payment of bounties or exemptions which made it possible, in most cases, for our brethren to avoid serious conflicts over the question of bearing arms.

And I can trust"

Chapter 10—Basic Provisions for Noncombatants

The Conscription Act of 1863 was amended in February of 1864. In the amendment provision was made by the Federal government that “members of religious denominations, who shall by oath or affirmation declare that they are conscientiously opposed to the bearing of arms,” shall when drafted “be considered noncombatants.”

They might then be assigned to duty in hospitals, or to the care of freedmen; or they might avail themselves of the privilege of exemption granted to those who should pay $300.00.

So long as the general provision for the release of any drafted men from military service by the payment of $300.00 each was in force, no steps were taken by Seventh-day Adventists to obtain recognition as noncombatants. Our denomination was young and its membership relatively small and unknown. So, for more than a year, most of our men when drafted secured exemption by paying the $300.00.

But a bill signed July 4, 1864, revoked “the clause commonly known as the $300.00 exemption clause,” except for those “conscientiously opposed to bearing arms.” This action precipitated a crisis, for if Seventh-day Adventists were to secure the continued benefits of exemption, or were to secure noncombatant status should they respond to the draft, they must now publicly declare their position and attitude.

Prompt steps were taken to meet the issue. On August 3, there was laid before Austin Blair, Governor of Michigan, a declaration of principles, signed by the General Conference Committee, giving the reasons why Seventh-day Adventists “have not felt free to enlist into the service,” and requesting the governor’s endorsement of the claim that “as a people we come under the intent of the late action of Congress concerning those who are conscientiously opposed to bearing arms, and are entitled to the benefits of said laws.” (Emphasis supplied).

The Governor of Michigan readily granted this request.

Similar steps were taken in other states, as Wisconsin, Illinois, and Pennsylvania, with equally satisfactory replies from the governors. These endorsements, together with letters of recommendation from certain military officers, were carried to Washington, D. C., by Elder J. N. Andrews, who laid them before Provost Marshal James B. Fry.

And I can trust"

Chapter 11—Seventh-day Adventists Recognized as Noncombatants

Mr. Fry stated to Elder Andrews that he construed the exemption clause of the enrollment law as applying to any denomination who held noncombatant views, and issued orders to all the Deputy Marshals in accordance with this construction of the exemption clause. He gave detailed instructions as to how our brethren should proceed, if drafted, in order to be given the privilege of exemption through the payment of $300 or to be assigned to some noncombatant service. Many who were drafted took advantage of the $300 exemption clause provided for noncombatants. But some who were drafted applied for assignment to noncombatant service.

It is only in accordance with the facts to state that in a number of cases brethren who, being drafted, entered the army in late 1864, were treated unfairly by local officers who refused to recognize the provision of the law. Under most trying circumstances our young men remained loyal to the God of heaven, while doing their duty to their fellowman. They endeavored to let their light shine in the army. Responding to their call for literature, a tract fund was raised to furnish them with reading matter that they might distribute among their associates. Many letters were received from drafted men whose claims to exemption from bearing arms were angrily refused. Two of these letters were published in one issue of the Review, together with a note from James White as follows:

The experience they give seems not to be the exception, but the rule. We have not yet heard of any who though their claims as non-combatants were endorsed by the provost marshalls of their districts and certificates granted them accordingly, have succeeded in obtaining a position in hospitals, or in the care of freedmen.

And even the district provost marshalls sometimes refuse to endorse the claims of our brethren, notwithstanding all the evidences as noncombatants.—Review and Herald, Jan. 24, 1865.

(to be continued. Much more to come; but I am tired, so I am retiring! peace )

And I can trust"

"We should pause to note at this juncture that there are some who have taken this January, 1863, E. G. White statement that “in the army they (Seventh-day Adventists) cannot obey the truth and at the same time obey the requirements of their officers” (Testimonies, Vol. 1, p. 361) to mean that at no time and under no circumstances can a Seventh-day Adventist be loyal to God and engage in military service."

I agree with that, provisions have been made for non-combatants late in the Civil War, certainly for the coming wars. As Ellen White stated concerning WW1, it was possible to serve God and to serve the country. It was possible in WW2, the Korean war, Viet Nam, Irag, etc. etc. today. I don't believe for a second this is counsel that indicates it's "OK" to enlist!!!! Then, in between or now.

It sure doesn't say not to enlist.

And I can trust"

Chapter 12—Special Light Concerning the Draft

At this juncture, the inquiry is rightfully raised, “Did the Lord give Ellen White light, either guiding the leaders of the church in the steps they took in 1863 and 1864 in relation to military service, or approving the course which was followed?”

This question is vitally important to us today, for the position of the denomination toward military service is based on the “historic stand” we took in Civil War days.

In the counsels of Testimonies for the Church, Volume One, which parallels this period in our history, there is no direct information on this point.

After January, 1863, there are no utterances concerning the Civil War or the draft. Had the war not come to a close within such a short time after the draft became effective with all its attendant problems, there would undoubtedly have been some published counsel. It is logical to conclude from inference that as the leading workers were cautiously feeling their way along on this crucial question, they kept very close to Mrs. White, and that they were guided by light which she received from the Lord.

It is further logical to conclude that, if in the absence of any light they took a position in regard to military service which was out of harmony with God’s will, the Lord would have given them a message to this effect, and the course would have been altered by correcting counsels. All this seems reasonable and logical.

But we are not left to inference or logical conclusions alone in this matter which is of such interest and vital importance to our young men throughout the world. It is indeed gratifying to observe that as the leaders of the church moved forward prayerfully and carefully in meeting the crises as they arose, and in finding the “historic positions” we as a denomination take in regard to the draft, they did so in harmony with the light given by God through the Spirit of prophecy. Ellen White makes direct reference to this some two decades after the close of the Civil War in a letter to church leaders, Elder G. I. Butler, President of the General Conference, and S. N. Haskell, pioneer executive and evangelist.

Ellen White, then in Europe, had before her certain questions these brethren had placed before her, and as she answers, she looks back and comments concerning the propriety of our church leaders seeking relief from oppressive measures:

You inquire in regard to the course which should be pursued to secure the rights of our people to worship according to the dictates of our own conscience. This has been a burden on my soul for some time, whether it would be a denial of our faith, and an evidence that our trust was not fully in God. But I call to mind many things God has shown me in the past in regard to things of a similar character, as the draft and other things. I can speak in the fear of God, it is right we should use every power we can to avert the pressure that is being brought to bear upon our people.—Ellen G. White Letter 55, 1886. (Emphasis supplied)

Thus we have the certain answer. The Lord did give Ellen White direct and definite light which helped the leaders of the church in arriving at the position they took at that time and since hold concerning the relation of Seventh-day Adventists to military service.

And I can trust"

Chapter 13—A Call to Prayer

As the conflict between the forces of the North and the South moved into 1865, President Lincoln made another call for men—this time 300,000. The Adventist leaders were appalled. Of what this would mean to the church Elder White wrote:

It is said that the next draft will take about one in three of able-bodied men, liable to the draft. And it is supposed that this proportion of Seventh-day Adventists will be drawn; that is, one in three. In this case if each should pay into the treasury $100, the same would be sufficient to pay $300, for all drawn at the coming draft.— Review and Herald, Jan. 24, 1865.

After heading the list with his own pledge for one hundred dollars for a fund, for the benefit especially of his fellow workers, James White urged others to join him, and concluded with the words, “If this war continues, God only knows what it will do for even non-combatants.”

In a forceful editorial the following week, Elder White expressed his personal conviction that the impressive petition of the angel of Revelation 7:3, “Hurt not the earth, neither the sea, nor the trees, till we have sealed the servants of our God in their foreheads,” “symbolizes earnest prayer on the part of God’s loyal people at the present period of this dreadful American war.” He recommended to the church members:

That prayer and giving of thanks for those in authority constitute a proper portion of their Sabbath and other seasons of public worship, and also, of family and private devotions, [and also that] the second Sabbath in each month be especially set apart to fasting and prayer in view of the present terrible war, and the peculiar relations which non-combatants sustain to the government, that they may still enjoy liberty of conscience, and lead quiet and peaceable lives in all godliness and honesty.— Review and Herald, Jan. 31, 1865.

This personal recommendation was formally adopted by the General Conference Committee who especially made a call for the setting apart of the second Sabbath in February as a day of fasting and prayer for the objects specified in Elder White’s article.

A few weeks later another call for humiliation and prayer was issued by the Committee in a two-column article entitled “The Time Has Come! For the Fulfillment of Rev. 7:3.” The brethren were urged to set apart four days, from Wednesday, March 1 to Sabbath, March 4, as days of “earnest and importunate prayer.” Business were to be suspended, church services were to be held daily at 1 p.m., and two meetings were to be held on Sabbath. The earnestness and confidence of the brethren signing this call is set forth in the concluding paragraph:

The number of God’s servants will be made up; for the prophet so declares; but not till after an earnest work has taken place on the part of the church. We firmly believe the time has come for us to act—then follows the sealing work, or the loud cry of the third message—then triumph—then translation—then eternal life. Amen.— Review and Herald, Feb. 21, 1865.

Among the conditions that seriously affected the cause was the large and increasing financial burden to raise means for the exemption of noncombatants from draft. It was estimated that to secure the exemption of those who would be drafted from the Battle Creek church would cost more than the amount of their systematic benevolence for the four preceding years, or for the whole cause, from twenty-five to forty thousand dollars. Thousands of people who should be hearing and accepting the truth were being drawn away to the fields of carnage. And while the mind of the nation was so absorbed in the dreadful contest, it was almost impossible to call their minds to religious subjects.

With these retarding effects on the spreading of the message caused by the war, the General Conference Committee in their appeal stated that the denomination was brought to the place where “if the war continues, we must stop.” Then confidently their hope and faith was set forth:

Relying upon God, and having confidence in the efficacy of prayer, and the indications of His prophetic word, we believe that the work of God must not be hindered. . . . God’s work in these last days must not, will not stop.—Review and Herald, Feb. 21, 1865.

And so it was that on that Sabbath day, March 4, 1865, when Abraham Lincoln was inaugurated for his second term as President of the United States, 5 ten thousand Seventh-day Adventists were petitioning heaven that for the sake of the cause of truth which was being hindered the war might be brought to a speedy close. On April 9, 1865, General Lee surrendered and the long disastrous war was virtually over, and wrote James White:

The air rang with shouts, Richmond is taken! and Lee has surrendered! Cities and villages were illuminated. Bonfires and rockets streamed up to the heavens, while cheers for Lincoln, Grant, Sherman, and Sheridan rang again. But God’s loyal people were on their knees, blessing Heaven for the answer of their prayers, and weeping with joy over the faithfulness of God in fulfilling His word.—Review and Herald, April 25, 1865.

Little do we realize what we today owe to the pioneers who in those days of perplexity were led to adopt an attitude toward war that enabled them to maintain the respect of government officials for their loyalty to the ordained powers that be, and that without compromising their loyalty to God in obedience to His commandments. The history they recorded at that time has made it possible for our young men to be recognized, not as pacifists, but as noncombatants, ready to give fullest allegiance to their earthly governments, so long as they need not violate their conscience in so doing.

And I can trust"

OA says,

"It sure doesn't say not to enlist."

I strongly disagree with that statement! Concerning the civil war, even AFTER non-combatant status was possible the church continued to find ways to stop Adventist from serving in the military. Concerning WW1, a "noble" war, they took exactly the same approach! They did everything in their power, in spite of a non-combatant status, to keep our people out of military service. To enlist was unthinkable, it was never an option. The entire counsel, on both wars, at any time, deals with how to keep OUT of the conflicts.

Thats OK to disagree "strongly." not a problem on my end but you need to read this spirit of prophecy material I am posting in context.

It clearly says "for this war;" not all wars. But as far as the Army itself the counsel does not say "Dont join the army." Obviously; it is easier for God's people to not join; but also, just as obviously, there is good reason to enlist anyways. And thats why the church makes efforts like this towards the non-combatant status. I heartily applaud that effort. But there is nothing in the non-combatant status mentality or intentions that would even remotely suggest that it is wrong to enlist in order to help via medical or other types of non-combatant roles.

And I can trust"

Chapter 14—Recognition of European Military Service Laws

When Ellen G. White, in response to the invitation of the General Conference, spent two years laboring in Europe (1885-1887) she came face to face with the problems our young men there must deal with in regard to military service. While living at the new headquarters building in Basel, Switzerland, erected to serve as the center from which our work in Europe would be directed, three of the young men employed in our printing office on the ground floor were called to put in their three weeks of compulsory military drill required annually of each young man in Switzerland. There was no counsel given that our young men should resist or disregard this requirement, nor that they should refuse to wear the uniform of their country required in such service. Ellen White’s contemporary reference to the experience is illuminating:

We have just said farewell to three of our responsible men in the office who were summoned by the government to serve for three weeks of drill. It was a very important stage of our work in the publishing house, but the government calls do not accommodate themselves to our convenience. They demand that young men whom they have accepted as soldiers shall not neglect the exercise and drill essential

for soldier service. We were glad to see that these men with their regimentals had tokens of honor for faithfulness in their work. They were trustworthy young men.

These did not go from choice, but because the laws of their nation required this. We gave them a word of encouragement to be found true soldiers of the cross of Christ. Our prayers will follow these young men, that the angels of God may go with them and guard them from every temptation.—Ellen G. White Uncopied Letter 23, 1886. (Written from Basel, Switzerland, Sept. 2, 1886)

When World War I broke out, Ellen White was well advanced in years and she gave no instruction in writing which would bear on the duty of our men to the requirements of military service. In oral conversation she counseled against defying military authority.

Thus through the years we find a consistency in the instruction and counsels which give us a certain assurance that the church as it found its way in the question of the attitude its youth should take to military service, did so in full harmony with the counsels of the Spirit of prophecy, given of God to guide and guard His people.

Manuscript prepared by W. C. White, D. E. Robinson, and A. L. White giving in detail a carefully documented account of how Seventh-day Adventists met the Civil War crisis as it related to the draft, the Sabbath, and the bearing of arms and amplified by A. L. White to include all items available from the pen of Ellen G. White which have a bearing on the subject. Extracts of the original draft appeared in the Review and Herald, Nov. 26, 1936, as a part of the series of articles entitled “Sketches and Memories of James and Ellen White.” — A. L. White.

Ellen G. White Publications

Washington 12, D. C.

June 15, 1956

Offset Sept. 1960

And I can trust"