ClubAdventist is back!

Gingrich Wins South Carolina Primary

AP: Gingrich Wins South Carolina Primary

By David Espo and Thomas Beaumont | Associated Press

COLUMBIA, S.C. -- Newt Gingrich stormed to an upset win in the South Carolina primary Saturday night, dealing a sharp setback to Mitt Romney and scrambling the race for the Republican presidential nomination.

Former Pennsylvania Sen. Rick Santorum and Texas Rep. Ron Paul trailed badly.

Read more: http://www.pantagraph.com/news/national/...l#ixzz1k8vUINB6

Everything you do is based on the choices you make. It's not your parents, your past relationships, your job, the economy, the weather, an argument, or your age that is to blame. You and only you are responsible for every decision and choice you make, period ... ... Wish more people would realize this.

Quotes by Susan Gottesman

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• bonnie

• Bravus

• Woody

Top Posters In This Topic

• Moderators

Story is based on exit polls rather than the actual results, so it'll be interesting when the real counting is done, but the margin looks wide enough that Gingrich is very likely to have actually won the primary.

Truth is important

Fox has called the election. Gingrich Wins!!!

He is ahead of the count by 14%.

May we be one so that the world may be won.
Christian from the cradle to the grave
I believe in Hematology.

Fox has called the election. Gingrich Wins!!!

He is ahead of the count by 14%.

Maybe someone should have thought twice about an old story heralded as new and explosive.Maybe it blew up in the face of the woman that was number three in two marriages while being so appalled that would be suggested for her,If it fact that is true

Everything you do is based on the choices you make. It's not your parents, your past relationships, your job, the economy, the weather, an argument, or your age that is to blame. You and only you are responsible for every decision and choice you make, period ... ... Wish more people would realize this.

• Moderators

There were other factors in play with a 99% white voting group the majority of which was over 45, but I won't bother you with them.

Truth is important

urp..

Okay. Come clean. What are you urping?

I believe in Hematology.

There were other factors in play with a 99% white voting group the majority of which was over 45, but I won't bother you with them.

Must be racial,there is that skin color again.Maybe those over 45 have learned a bit over the years.

Gingrich cannot beat Obama. If the GOP wants to assure Obama a second term they will nominate the ethics-violating adulterer that was tossed out of Congress on his ear.

Pastoral Family Counselor... Find me at www.PostumCafe.com

Author of  Peculiar Christianity

It has been proven that the American public doesn't care if there is an adulterer in the office of President.

Go Gingrich.

I believe in Hematology.

• Moderators

Originally Posted By: Bravus

Must be racial,there is that skin color again.Maybe those over 45 have learned a bit over the years.

Not *just* racial, though Newt's 'black people on food stamps' nonsense did play pretty well there. But there's also Romney's Mormon issue and the perception that Gingrich is more of a 'real' conservative than him.

My point, actually, was just that these numbers are no sort of useful preview for the General. I know, they're not meant to be. But I think Shane is right.

Truth is important

Not *just* racial, though Newt's 'black people on food stamps' nonsense did play pretty well there. But there's also Romney's Mormon issue and the perception that Gingrich is more of a 'real' conservative than him.

Originally Posted By: Shane
Gingrich cannot beat Obama.

What nonsense.

no, i suspect it's spot on.....Gingrich has a reputation as an idea man, but not for getting things done.....

Democracy is a device that ensures we shall be governed no better than we deserve.

George Bernard Shaw

no, i suspect it's spot on.....Gingrich has a reputation as an idea man, but not for getting things done.....

What are you talking about? In 1995, Time named him "Man of the Year" for his role in ending 40 years of majority control by the Democratic Party. While he was House speaker, the House enacted welfare reform, passed a capital gains tax cut in 1997, and in 1998 passed the first balanced budget since 1969.

I'd say that's getting something done.

What are you talking about? In 1995, Time named him "Man of the Year" for his role in ending 40 years of majority control by the Democratic Party. While he was House speaker, the House enacted welfare reform, passed a capital gains tax cut in 1997, and in 1998 passed the first balanced budget since 1969.

I'd say that's getting something done.

Don't forget,he also was largely responsible for Clinton putting his finger to the wind an saying OOPs,I remember now,I really did want to do something about welfare reforms

That is going to be a stumbling block for Gingrich now,trying to convince those in the wagon to get out and push for while. People have visions of their personal entitlements going up in smoke.Personally I don;t think any president can pull it back,only possibly slowing the slide.

Interesting to see liberals hold a higher favorable opinion of the media.maybe because the media has admitted being biased and favoring the liberals. Bet they are trying to figure out how that mud landed back in their face,

Poor guys,this was the story of all stories to end the campaign of Gingrich. This might make them angry to magically produce "current stories"

Home » News

Gingrich Beats Media in South Carolina, 54 to 14

By Terence P. Jeffrey

January 21, 2012

Subscribe to Terence P. Jeffrey's posts

Newt Gingrich

Former House Speaker Newt Gingrich at the CNN debate in Charleston, S.C., on Jan. 19, 2012. (AP Photo)

(CNSNews.com) - Former House Speaker Newt Gingrich has defeated the national media in South Carolina by a margin of 54 percent to 14 percent, according to a survey conducted by a Democratic polling firm.

The poll, conducted by Raleigh, N.C.-based Public Policy Polling (PPP), interviewed 1,540 likely South Carolina Republican primary voters from Jan. 18 to Jan. 20. It showed that 54 percent of those voters said they had a favorable opinion of Gingrich while 37 percent said they had an unfavorable opinion of him.

At the same time, only 14 percent said they had a favorable opinion of the media, while 77 percent said they had an unfavorable opinion of the media.

The only Republican candidate who had a higher favorable rating than Gingrich was former Pennsylvania Sen. Rick Santorum. None of the four remaining Republican presidential candidates had anywhere near as low a favorable rating as the media nor nearly as high an unfavorable rating.

Fifty-five percent said they had a favorable opinion of Santorum and 35 percent said they had an unfavorable opinion of him. Fifty-one percent said they had a favorable opinion of former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney and 42 percent said they had an unfavorable opinion of him. Thirty-eight percent said they had a favorable opinion of Rep. Ron Paul and 53 percent said they had an unfavorable opinion of him.

According to the poll, the more conservative a South Carolina Republican primary voter is the more likely that voters is to have an unfavorable opinion of the media.

Among voters who said they were very conservative, 89 percent had an unfavorable opinion of the media and 6 percent had an favorable opinion. Among voters who said they were somewhat conservative, 78 percent said they had an unfavorable opinion of the media and 12 percent said they had a favorable opinion. Among voters who said they were moderate, 63 percent had a unfavorable opinion of the media, and 22 percent said they had a favorable opinion. Among voters who said they were somewhat liberal, 48 percent said they had an unfavorable opinion of the media and 37 percent said they had a favorable opinion.

Only among the most liberal voters were there more who said they had a favorable opinion of the media (52 percent) than said they had an unfavorable view (45 percent).

In the same PPP poll of South Carolina Republican primary voters, 37 percent said they were going to vote for Gingrich, 28 percent for Romney, 16 percent for Santorum, and 14 percent for Paul.

Shane has very little to say about who wins the election.

Actually, Shane is an independent, a conservative-leaning moderate. Independents like Shane typically determine who wins.

We all know who Obama is. His approval rating is under 50% and a few points under his disapproval rating. There is not much he can do to define himself. The only way he can win is to make a villain out of his opponent. Of the four candidates left which would be easiest for him to make a villain out of? One has to answer either Paul of Gingrich. Paul because of his foreign policy positions and Gingrich because of his ethics violations and defeats as Speaker of the House.

Both Gingrich and Santorum ended their political careers because they lost elections. The election Gingrich lost was for the Speakership. Only his fellow Republican Congressmen were allowed to vote. So his fellow Republicans tossed him out on his ear. Why? I am sure Obama would love to tell us why during the general election campaign.

In 1995, Time named him "Man of the Year" for his role in ending 40 years of majority control by the Democratic Party.

Rick Santorum pointed out in the last debate that what played the biggest role in the Republicans winning control was the House Bank Scandal which Gingrich had known about for years and failed to blow the whistle on. A lot of Democrats lost that year or decided not to run for re-election because of the House Bank Scandal. Clinton had low approval ratings so many Democrats stayed home. Gingrich deserves some credit for being able to take advantage of those factors but he was simply able to play a good hand of cards without messing it up.

Actually, Shane is an independent, a conservative-leaning moderate. Independents like Shane typically determine who wins.

HEY ALL

WELL SANTORUM won Iowa---ROMNEY won New Hampshire--

and GINGRICH won South Carolina

so I guess they are taking turns

dgrimm60

dunothumbsup

Good Point Dgrimm. lol

I say Go Gingrich because I think he has the best chance to beat Obama . Really I don't care who it is as long as they BEAT OBAMA.

I believe in Hematology.

When it gets closer to crunch time, he'll have to start calling himself "undecided" if he wants to remain important.

I see some doubt my sincerity and perhaps think I am involved with actual deception. Such is not the case. My history testifies to my sincerity. I have often voted a split ballot. On the occasions that I have voted a straight ballot, it has been all Republican. I have never voted a straight Democrat ballot - except on occasions when I have voted in Democrat primaries. I do cross lines and sometimes vote in Republican and sometimes in Democrat primaries. I live in a heavily Democratic area. As far as Presidential elections go, I have voted three times Republican, twice for a third party and once Democrat. Every political test I have taken over the years plots me just slightly right of the middle. So I can honestly state that I am a moderate that leans conservative.

At one point I felt strongly that I would vote for Gingrich if he ran against Obama despite his moral failures simply because Obama has been such a failure and lacked the ability to prioritize domestic issues. However the more Gingrich has opened his mouth, the more he makes Obama look like the lesser of two evils. I seriously doubt he can beat Obama.