ClubAdventist is back!

Birth Control, Abortion & Religious Liberty

the issue here, is not religious liberty, but women's rights...

Wrong. All the women working for Catholic organizations have the right to purchase birth control, sterilization or abortion. They are not even being threatened with termination. They simply have to purchase it with their own funds because the Catholic church does not want to be a means to provide or pay for what they believe is sinful.

This is textbook religious liberty. This is how the Sunday law will be passed. Extreme liberals are just as dangerous as radical conservative. This is very scary!

Pastoral Family Counselor... Find me at www.PostumCafe.com

Author of  Peculiar Christianity

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Dr. Shane

• Nic Samojluk

• Neil D

• bonnie

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Looks like someone has just been reading left-wing websites and not doing their homework. In Romney's case, the issue was abortion for incest and rape and the Catholic organizations did not have to provide abortion but rather direct victims to a where they could get such services.

Oh good night, Shane...That information came from a catholic institution...Perhaps you've heard of it...Georgetown University...press release...If you have a problem with the info...you talk to them..

Democracy is a device that ensures we shall be governed no better than we deserve.

George Bernard Shaw

Originally Posted By: hamilton-beach
the issue here, is not religious liberty, but women's rights...

Wrong. All the women working for Catholic organizations have the right to purchase birth control, sterilization or abortion. They are not even being threatened with termination. They simply have to purchase it with their own funds because the Catholic church does not want to be a means to provide or pay for what they believe is sinful.

This is textbook religious liberty. This is how the Sunday law will be passed. Extreme liberals are just as dangerous as radical conservative. This is very scary!

Sure they have the right...but do you want to spend $50/month or $15. And since most of those catholic institutions [we're talking over 70% of them] are already providing benefits that are comparable to non-catholic institutions...And since 90% of Catholic women ARE using birth control and since business are looking for ways and means to cut $$$$ from thier bugets....

It's NOT a religous liberty issue....

Democracy is a device that ensures we shall be governed no better than we deserve.

George Bernard Shaw

Shane wrote:

“Looks like someone has just been reading left-wing websites and not doing their homework. In Romney's case, the issue was abortion for incest and rape and the Catholic organizations did not have to provide abortion but rather direct victims to a where they could get such services.”

Are you suggesting that it is morally acceptable to kill an innocent baby for the crime of his/her father? Does the Catholic Church condone abortion resulting from rape and incest?

I suggest that you take the time to read the story of Kristi Hofferber. This is the way the story starts, and I have included the reference for you:

"February 13, 2012 (LifeSiteNews.com) If you think of yourself as pro-life except in the case of rape and incest, you will have to look Kristi Hofferber in the eye and tell her that her mother should have aborted her. And it almost happened. ..."

Source: http://www.lifesitenews.com/news/conceiv...i-hofferbers-in

The woman who gave birth to Kristi got pregnant six times as a result of incest and had five abortions. The sixth time she got pregnant, Kristi's mother decided to let the unborn live, but gave the baby girl to a Christian family who raised her in a happy and stable environment.

Isn't this an example of how redemption works? Abortion is not a redemptive solution, while the adoption alternative is. Should not Adventist emphasize a redemptive solution to unwanted pregnancies instead of allowing our hospitals to profit from the lucrative abortion business?

hamilton-beach wrote:

“Sure they have the right...but do you want to spend $50/month or $15. And since most of those catholic institutions [we're talking over 70% of them] are already providing benefits that are comparable to non-catholic institutions...And since 90% of Catholic women ARE using birth control and since business are looking for ways and means to cut $$$$ from their budgets....”

The problem I see is that there is no such thing as a free lunch. If Catholic women will now have access to this killing service free of charge, this means that other citizens who have a moral issue against the murder of innocent human beings will be forded to pay for such crimes. Do not forget that the morning pill is considered by Catholics as equivalent to murder, and the morning after pill is included in the contraception program.

If we are afraid that some day in the future we might be forced to desecrate the Sabbath and will be persecuted for disobeying Sunday Laws, then we need to respect Catholics freedom to exercise their religious beliefs without being forced to contribute to what they consider to be equivalent to murder.

Catholics deserve to have our Adventist moral support. This might pave the way for us to get their moral support in our time of need.

• Members

Isn't this an example of how redemption works? Abortion is not a redemptive solution, while the adoption alternative is. Should not Adventist emphasize a redemptive solution to unwanted pregnancies instead of allowing our hospitals to profit from the lucrative abortion business?

Amen, this we can agree on.

phkrause

By the decree enforcing the institution of the papacy in violation of the law of God, our nation will disconnect herself fully from righteousness. When Protestantism shall stretch her hand across the gulf to grasp the hand of the Roman power, when she shall reach over the abyss to clasp hands with spiritualism, when, under the influence of this threefold union, our country shall repudiate every principle of its Constitution as a Protestant and republican government, and shall make provision for the propagation of papal falsehoods and delusions, then we may know that the time has come for the marvelous working of Satan and that the end is near. {5T 451.1}

The problem I see is that there is no such thing as a free lunch. If Catholic women will now have access to this killing service free of charge, this means that other citizens who have a moral issue against the murder of innocent human beings will be forded to pay for such crimes. Do not forget that the morning pill is considered by Catholics as equivalent to murder, and the morning after pill is included in the contraception program.

If we are afraid that some day in the future we might be forced to desecrate the Sabbath and will be persecuted for disobeying Sunday Laws, then we need to respect Catholics freedom to exercise their religious beliefs without being forced to contribute to what they consider to be equivalent to murder.

Catholics deserve to have our Adventist moral support. This might pave the way for us to get their moral support in our time of need.

this is where misinformation comes to play....You believe that this bill is about the ability to have an abortion...This bill is not about that at all....

It's about reproductive rights and the ability/availablity to keep the sperm away from the egg. It was not about funding abortions...it was about keeping the two vital ingrediants apart to prevent babies...

Now, since 90% of Catholic women are using these benefits, it follows that most Catholic women are more than willing to use contraceptive devices to prevent pregnancy. It's not a moral issue in the sense of violating the 6th commandment...it's a women's right issue, and let's them decide when they want a child or not...It is not about men in power deciding/lording over thier women....

George Bernard Shaw

• Members

Excellent point hb, but there are those that just want to see for what they believe it is, they already have an agenda.

phkrause

By the decree enforcing the institution of the papacy in violation of the law of God, our nation will disconnect herself fully from righteousness. When Protestantism shall stretch her hand across the gulf to grasp the hand of the Roman power, when she shall reach over the abyss to clasp hands with spiritualism, when, under the influence of this threefold union, our country shall repudiate every principle of its Constitution as a Protestant and republican government, and shall make provision for the propagation of papal falsehoods and delusions, then we may know that the time has come for the marvelous working of Satan and that the end is near. {5T 451.1}

this is where misinformation comes to play....You believe that this bill is about the ability to have an abortion...This bill is not about that at all....

Everything you do is based on the choices you make. It's not your parents, your past relationships, your job, the economy, the weather, an argument, or your age that is to blame. You and only you are responsible for every decision and choice you make, period ... ... Wish more people would realize this.

Quotes by Susan Gottesman

Excellent point hb, but there are those that just want to see for what they believe it is, they already have an agenda.

What agenda? You mean the one that says you have a right to purchase birth control with your money? Poor dears,whatever will they do now

Everything you do is based on the choices you make. It's not your parents, your past relationships, your job, the economy, the weather, an argument, or your age that is to blame. You and only you are responsible for every decision and choice you make, period ... ... Wish more people would realize this.

Are you suggesting that it is morally acceptable to kill an innocent baby for the crime of his/her father?

This thread is about religious liberty, Nic. Keep it on topic. Do not try to make this about abortion. If you do, your posts would be moved out of this thread. Religious liberty, Nic - not abortion. Start another thread if you want to rant and rave about abortion. I will not allow you to hijack this thread. Consider yourself warned. You don't get another one.

The problem here is people are speaking different languages.

We (protestants) say birth control, they (Catholics) say chemical abortion. Understand, birth control prevents a fertilized egg from implanting in the uterus. Catholics believe life begins at conception. That happens in the fallopian tubes. So if life does begin in the fallopian tubes and birth control prevents it from implanting in the uterus, that could be consider by some as being an abortion.

The focus of this thread is religious liberty. Let's not get side-tracked into the morality of abortion or birth control. For the sake of this discussion, Catholics believe birth control is wrong. The US federal government is trying to force the Catholic church to provide health-care coverage for its employees that would provide this free. Whether or not birth control or abortion is sinful is a separate issue. What is relevant to this discussion is what the Catholic church believes and what the US federal government is trying to force them to do.

hamilton-beach wrote:

“You believe that this bill is about the ability to have an abortion...This bill is not about that at all.... It's about reproductive rights and the ability/availability to keep the sperm away from the egg. It was not about funding abortions...it was about keeping the two vital ingredients apart to prevent babies...”

True, the bill is mainly about contraception; for Obama and Sebelius the morning after pill is contraception, but for Catholics it is an abortive pill. This is where the problem comes in.

“Now, since 90% of Catholic women are using these benefits, it follows that most Catholic women are more than willing to use contraceptive devices to prevent pregnancy.”

Can we rely on these statistics? Who originated them? Are they based on facts and serious studies or on fiction fabricated by those who hate the Catholic position on abortion? Let’s not forget how the figures about back alley abortions were inflated back in 1973 in order to deceive the public about what was taking place. They were inflated tenfold.

“It's not a moral issue in the sense of violating the 6th commandment...it's a women's right issue"

It may not be a moral issue for some Catholics, but it is a moral issue for conservative Catholics. The Sabbath is not a moral issue for most Christians, but it is a moral issue for Adventists, orthodox Jews, and Seventh Day Baptists.

“let's them decide when they want a child or not...”

Yes, I believe that women have the right to decide when they want to have a child; the problem is that when a woman gets pregnant, it is to late to decide not to have a child, they already have a child—perhaps small, but it is a human being—and no amount of argument will convince a true Catholic to accept the notion that abortion is morally right.

In this, true Catholics are an example of faithfulness to moral conviction which Adventist would do well to emulate.

“It is not about men in power deciding/lording over their women....”

The ones who are determined to Lord over everybody are not true Catholics, but rather Obama and Sebelius who will not leave a stone unturned in order to impose their liberal and morally depraved will on the rest of the American population.

Shane wrote:

“This thread is about religious liberty, Nic. Keep it on topic. Do not try to make this about abortion. If you do, your posts would be moved out of this thread. Religious liberty, Nic - not abortion. Start another thread if you want to rant and rave about abortion. I will not allow you to hijack this thread. Consider yourself warned. You don't get another one.”

Shane, are you blind or has your memory failed you? Have you forgotten the title you have chosen for this thread?

“Birth Control, Abortion & Religious Liberty”

I see the word “ABORTION” right in the middle of the title you have chosen. Besides, the morning pill is an integral part of the Obama’s contraception program, and Catholics consider the morning pill as equivalent to abortion.

Your warning against me is totally unfounded, and I deserve an apology.

If you want to penalize me for commenting on abortion, you need to remove the word "abortion" from the title of your thread.

• Members

Nic you make an excellent point, I don't always agree with you, but on this point I do.

phkrause

“let's them decide when they want a child or not...”

Yes, I believe that women have the right to decide when they want to have a child; the problem is that when a woman gets pregnant, it is to late to decide not to have a child, they already have a child—perhaps small, but it is a human being—and no amount of argument will convince a true Catholic to accept the notion that abortion is morally right.

In this, true Catholics are an example of faithfulness to moral conviction which Adventist would do well to emulate.

George Bernard Shaw

Now, since 90% of Catholic women are using these benefits...

First, I don't know where one gets this statistic. I wonder if 90% of Catholic women are even of child-bearing age. I certainly doubt that many are violating the church's doctrine.

George Bernard Shaw

Not a religious liberty issue...Tis a womans right to reproductive issues issue....

Name one woman that has been denied her reproductive rights?

No one is demanding any woman have a child or more than she wants.

Just that undeniably old fashioned,out dated personal responsibility of paying for it.After all what is Big Brother for if not to force someone to pay for another?

Your warning against me is totally unfounded, and I deserve an apology.

No, it is not unfounded and the warning stands. If you try to derail this topic onto abortion, your posts will be moved. This topic is about religious liberty.

those that choose the rhythm method are usually called "parents" in time...;-)

If a woman is regular and charts out her fertile days by using her body temperature, the rhythm method is highly successful. The effectiveness of any method decreases the longer a person uses it.

HM: do not get sucked into an abortion debate with Nic. If you and him want to go at it about abortion, one of you can start a new thread. Nic gets diarrhea of the mouth and can't stop typing. I can't permit that here. This thread is about the federal government telling a religious institution what they have to do. In this case it is birth control. It could just as easily be telling Adventist hospitals that we have to serve pork chops. While abortion is involved in this topic, this topic is not about the morality of abortion.

those that choose the rhythm method are usually called "parents" in time...;-)

If a woman is regular and charts out her fertile days by using her body temperature, the rhythm method is highly successful. The effectiveness of any method decreases the longer a person uses it.

George Bernard Shaw

pkrause wrote:

“Nic you make an excellent point, I don't always agree with you, but on this point I do.”

Thanks pk! Thanks for coming to my rescue! I also thank you for disagreeing with me on other points; I usually learn more when people disagree with me than when they simply say “Amen!” to what I write. By the way, I sometimes disagree with myself!