ClubAdventist is back!

Op-Ed: What is a Christian Nation?

phkrause

• Members

In order to address the idea of what a Christian nation is, we have to define both what a nation is and what it means to be Christian.

Here's an excellent article:

http://religiousliberty.tv/op-ed-what-is-a-christian-nation.html

phkrause

By the decree enforcing the institution of the papacy in violation of the law of God, our nation will disconnect herself fully from righteousness. When Protestantism shall stretch her hand across the gulf to grasp the hand of the Roman power, when she shall reach over the abyss to clasp hands with spiritualism, when, under the influence of this threefold union, our country shall repudiate every principle of its Constitution as a Protestant and republican government, and shall make provision for the propagation of papal falsehoods and delusions, then we may know that the time has come for the marvelous working of Satan and that the end is near. {5T 451.1}

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• doug yowell

• lazarus

• phkrause

• M. T. Cross

• Members

enjoyed very much...thanks

thumbsup anytime

phkrause

By the decree enforcing the institution of the papacy in violation of the law of God, our nation will disconnect herself fully from righteousness. When Protestantism shall stretch her hand across the gulf to grasp the hand of the Roman power, when she shall reach over the abyss to clasp hands with spiritualism, when, under the influence of this threefold union, our country shall repudiate every principle of its Constitution as a Protestant and republican government, and shall make provision for the propagation of papal falsehoods and delusions, then we may know that the time has come for the marvelous working of Satan and that the end is near. {5T 451.1}

In order to address the idea of what a Christian nation is, we have to define both what a nation is and what it means to be Christian.

Here's an excellent article:

http://religiousliberty.tv/op-ed-what-is-a-christian-nation.html

The author asked some very good questions and made some very good points. He did, however, not accurately represent the Biblical OT welfare system nor the principles on which the whole theocratic system was set up on. Nor did he give a definition to the OP question.I see America as a Christian Nation with a secular form of government.If 95%+ of U.S. founders (and citizens) were "Christians" at it's founding and they all agreed to not require any test of Christianity as a legal requirement then what do we call ourselves,a non-Christian nation?

• Members

Doug you make some good points. Obviously he answered it to himself, and those that will agree. I did think for myself he did a good job of answering his own question. Now as far as the welfare system I agree. He was actually using the sabbatical system (7 years) which had more to do with the land, planting and harvesting. The Jewbilee was what had more to do with the welfare, financial, etc., which was a 49 yr deal, where things went back to the original owners, etc. Not sure if he mixed the two or he really didn't know that they were different. Maybe he thought they were interchangeble? Anyway, I thought it was a very good article.

phkrause

The Jewbilee
Hey, I never thought of it like that. I'm definitely gonna remember that! Reminded me of an old Woody (no relationship) Allen movie when WA's character was Jewish and was always reading anti-Jewish connotations into everything he heard. Jew know what I mean? Struck me as really funny.

• Members

Originally Posted By: pkrause
The Jewbilee
Hey, I never thought of it like that. I'm definitely gonna remember that! Reminded me of an old Woody (no relationship) Allen movie when WA's character was Jewish and was always reading anti-Jewish connotations into everything he heard. Jew know what I mean? Struck me as really funny.

LOL, I guess I got that spelling wrong. rollingsmile

phkrause

Now as far as the welfare system I agree. He was actually using the sabbatical system (7 years) which had more to do with the land, planting and harvesting. The Jewbilee was what had more to do with the welfare, financial, etc., which was a 49 yr deal, where things went back to the original owners, etc. Not sure if he mixed the two or he really didn't know that they were different. Maybe he thought they were interchangeble? Anyway, I thought it was a very good article.
Also he failed to note that the "welfare" system for the poor required them to work for the extras that the more affluent were asked to provide for them.Paul reiterates this understanding when he commands the church that the person that doesn't work doesn't eat.If the poor person is capable of working (not "widows indeed"), this system gives them dignity. I was also thinking that his claim of no requirement of payback ignored the obvious regarding loans. No interest,yes. No payback,irresponsibly no. But he did offer food for thought.

• Members

Here is something I came across yesterday:

Hebrew Servants

Exodus 21:2-6pp -- Dt 15:12-18 21:2-11Ref -- Lev 25:39-55

2 "If you buy a Hebrew servant, he is to serve you for six years. But in the seventh year, he shall go free, without paying anything. 3 If he comes alone, he is to go free alone; but if he has a wife when he comes, she is to go with him. 4 If his master gives him a wife and she bears him sons or daughters, the woman and her children shall belong to her master, and only the man shall go free. 5 "But if the servant declares, 'I love my master and my wife and children and do not want to go free,' 6 then his master must take him before the judges. He shall take him to the door or the doorpost and pierce his ear with an awl. Then he will be his servant for life. 7 "If a man sells his daughter as a servant, she is not to go free as menservants do. 8 If she does not please the master who has selected her for himself, he must let her be redeemed. He has no right to sell her to foreigners, because he has broken faith with her. 9 If he selects her for his son, he must grant her the rights of a daughter. 10 If he marries another woman, he must not deprive the first one of her food, clothing and marital rights. 11 If he does not provide her with these three things, she is to go free, without any payment of money.

This might be what he was referencing?

phkrause

Quote:
Some would say that a nation is simply its people and therefore a Christian nation is a nation that has a majority of Christians. If that is the case, than America is already a Christian nation. According to Gallup, 78% of Americans identified themselves as Christian in 2011. However, I think that definition is too simplistic.

I like simple. Simple works for me. Why make something complicated? I think "a Christian nation is a nation that has a majority of Christians." That works for me.

Pastoral Family Counselor... Find me at www.PostumCafe.com

Author of  Peculiar Christianity

Quote:
Some would say that a nation is simply its people and therefore a Christian nation is a nation that has a majority of Christians. If that is the case, than America is already a Christian nation. According to Gallup, 78% of Americans identified themselves as Christian in 2011. However, I think that definition is too simplistic.

I like simple. Simple works for me. Why make something complicated? I think "a Christian nation is a nation that has a majority of Christians." That works for me.

THat's exactly what I was thinking and why I didn't see his optional definition. If we are subjectively defined by someone's theological application of the Scriptures (as he attempted to do) then we become exactly what our founders intentionally designed that we not be.

• Moderators

There are a lot of Christian countries then. Including Russia! The UK and France are too.

Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocrities. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence.

Einstein

• Administrators

78% is a majority ... I couldn't agree more. Thanks Shane

If your dreams are not big enough to scare you, they are not big enough for God

A christian nation is one who has God's Common Law as the back bone for all of their statutes and Constitution. The common law is God's law as the Maxim of law states it has no beginning and no end.

Every one knew before it was written down that it was bad to murder, steal, lie, covit, and cheat on your spouse. That my friends IS the common law and God's law on how to treat fellow humans.

Nations of one religion scare the pants off of me. The islamic nations are a fine example of how bad it can go.
I assume you mean a majority of one religion since virtually every nation has more than one religion (with the possible exception of North Korea). At it's founding, the United States was something like 98% Christian.I thought it's gone pretty well considering.

Nations of one religion scare the pants off of me. The islamic nations are a fine example of how bad it can go.
I assume you mean a majority of one religion since virtually every nation has more than one religion (with the possible exception of North Korea). At it's founding, the United States was something like 98% Christian.I thought it's gone pretty well considering.

• Moderators

At it's founding, the United States was something like 98% Christian.I thought it's gone pretty well considering.

It's gone pretty well for the majority but I think Native Americans and African Americans may have a different view.

Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocrities. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence.

Einstein

• Moderators

Christian nations would be comparable in how bad things can go.

Einstein

• Members

Great point Lazarus. If we look at the Dark Ages we see a good example of supposed Christian Nations and what they are capable of. Is there a repeat in the not so distant future?

phkrause

• Moderators

Is there a repeat in the not so distant future?

Sure. As SDA's we teach that it the apostate Christian church that is used to force people to worship the devil.

Einstein

• Members

Originally Posted By: pkrause

Is there a repeat in the not so distant future?

Sure. As SDA's we teach that it the apostate Christian church that is used to force people to worship the devil.

thumbsup Exactly.

phkrause

Originally Posted By: EmptyCross

Indeed.