ClubAdventist is back!

I shudder.....

M. T. Cross

What often happens in 'discussions' is called text 'splatter'. Through some texts and certain words together and the assumption is something important has been said. Much of the time texts are out of context, piled on and the whole post becomes incoherent. People often feel if they quote the Bible, they have have safety in their posting. I call it Bible abuse.

The 'slippery slope' is an argument that comes up quite readily when talking about sex practices, prayer in schools, or anything a person doesn't like. It is humans constant desire to be always 'right' and point the other way. It gets in the way of rational conversations. When the suggestion is made 'where will the line be drawn' there is a presupposition that a line hasn't been drawn already. Slippery slope again.

You have to understand the a large segment of christianity has an inherent fear of sexual activity, usually from the male gender, and wish it had never come out of the closet. It is seen as a procreation subject only and not pleasure. The subject is rather closely tied to how women are seen in the world also.

So any time sex comes up, the subject will go all over the place, losing its focus. Example, first allowing Homosexuals to be treated as any other person and accepted, then comes bestiality being accepted!! One not related to the other. Most of our arguments, er, discussions, are straw men.

(2-cents, stepping on toes, not politically correct)

peace

This entire post is one of your worst,CoA.Almost everything you've said is not only unprovable but ridiculously false.I can't believe that you really believe these things.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• M. T. Cross

• LifeHiscost

• doug yowell

• Overaged

What often happens in 'discussions' is called text 'splatter'. Through some texts and certain words together and the assumption is something important has been said. Much of the time texts are out of context, piled on and the whole post becomes incoherent. People often feel if they quote the Bible, they have have safety in their posting. I call it Bible abuse.

The 'slippery slope' is an argument that comes up quite readily when talking about sex practices, prayer in schools, or anything a person doesn't like. It is humans constant desire to be always 'right' and point the other way. It gets in the way of rational conversations. When the suggestion is made 'where will the line be drawn' there is a presupposition that a line hasn't been drawn already. Slippery slope again.

You have to understand the a large segment of christianity has an inherent fear of sexual activity, usually from the male gender, and wish it had never come out of the closet. It is seen as a procreation subject only and not pleasure. The subject is rather closely tied to how women are seen in the world also.

So any time sex comes up, the subject will go all over the place, losing its focus. Example, first allowing Homosexuals to be treated as any other person and accepted, then comes bestiality being accepted!! One not related to the other. Most of our arguments, er, discussions, are straw men.

(2-cents, stepping on toes, not politically correct)

peace

thumbsup

hmm... your argument is with God.

Same chapter -- - and listed as abominations.

Lev 18.

in Christ,

Bob

Indeed my argument would be with a God. Much as your views might be an argument with another God.

Or more accuratly each would have an argument with the human interpretation of these Gods.

Quote:
Or more accuratly each would have an argument with the human interpretation of these Gods.

Ah, you have have hit on the crux of many arguments.

The day a country opens its doors to people of different nations and different beliefs it has a decision to make. A decision to keep things fair and equal for all. That means that either your represent all peoples of your nations and all of their beliefs or you represent none with things like public markers.

Well now that was a keeper if ever I saw one. One very much worthy of being framed in the finest and hung on a prominent wall in my home for all to see. thumbsup

facebook. /teresa.quintero.790

Quote:
" Wayne Gretzky the saviour and Gary Bettman the devil
ROFL

If I knew the names of more of the active participants, I would have to include a few others who might disagree.

God blesses! peace

Lift Jesus up!!

I am so thankful that "This World is Not My Home"

A comment worth repeating.

God blesses! peace

Lift Jesus up!!

Could be OA, maybe I jumped the gun because I have had a couple people here suggest that comparison to me very clearly. If so LHC - I apologize for the assumption

Thank you for thinking the best of me OA. That happens to be a principle found in 1 Cor 13 given by the Holy Spirit.

And I don't hold it against you, EC, for making the assumption about it being a comparison, although the Bible tells me that the sin of eating a piece of fruit is why you and I have spent a lot of time apologizing to God for imbibing in that which is forbidden and difficult to live with the consequences. I see no reason to accept any sin because it is a better sin than another, although it is true, heinousness of the sin does sway me to be repelled by some sins more than others. Probably more a matter of culture as to which sin we accept as more or less repulsive.

God blesses! peace

Lift Jesus up!!

Quote:

Lev 18.

in Christ,

Bob

Nice to see someone who sees the Word of God as a valid source for drawing conclusions.

"Your commandments give me understanding;

no wonder I hate every false way of life.

Your word is a lamp to guide my feet

and a light for my path.

I’ve promised it once, and I’ll promise it again:

I will obey your righteous regulations."

Psalm 119:104-106 NLT

God blesses! peace

Lift Jesus up!!

Quote:
I could agree with the rest also. :)

And which was that Bible abuse you agree with? However I do believe it is somewhat disconcerting to hear the Holy Spirit speak through His Word when our lives don't measure up to It's authority.

God blesses! peace

Lift Jesus up!!

Then the Lord said to Moses, 2 “Give the following instructions to the people of Israel. I am the Lord your God. 3 So do not act like the people in Egypt, where you used to live, or like the people of Canaan, where I am taking you. You must not imitate their way of life. 4 You must obey all my regulations and be careful to obey my decrees, for I am the Lord your God. 5 If you obey my decrees and my regulations, you will find life through them. I am the Lord.

6 “You must never have sexual relations with a close relative, for I am the Lord.

7 “Do not violate your father by having sexual relations with your mother. She is your mother; you must not have sexual relations with her.

8 “Do not have sexual relations with any of your father’s wives, for this would violate your father.

9 “Do not have sexual relations with your sister or half sister, whether she is your father’s daughter or your mother’s daughter, whether she was born into your household or someone else’s.

10 “Do not have sexual relations with your granddaughter, whether she is your son’s daughter or your daughter’s daughter, for this would violate yourself.

11 “Do not have sexual relations with your stepsister, the daughter of any of your father’s wives, for she is your sister.

12 “Do not have sexual relations with your father’s sister, for she is your father’s close relative.

13 “Do not have sexual relations with your mother’s sister, for she is your mother’s close relative.

14 “Do not violate your uncle, your father’s brother, by having sexual relations with his wife, for she is your aunt.

15 “Do not have sexual relations with your daughter-in-law; she is your son’s wife, so you must not have sexual relations with her.

16 “Do not have sexual relations with your brother’s wife, for this would violate your brother.

17 “Do not have sexual relations with both a woman and her daughter. And do not take her granddaughter, whether her son’s daughter or her daughter’s daughter, and have sexual relations with her. They are close relatives, and this would be a wicked act.

18 “While your wife is living, do not marry her sister and have sexual relations with her, for they would be rivals.

19 “Do not have sexual relations with a woman during her period of menstrual impurity.

20 “Do not defile yourself by having sexual intercourse with your neighbor’s wife.

21 “Do not permit any of your children to be offered as a sacrifice to Molech, for you must not bring shame on the name of your God. I am the Lord.

22 “Do not practice homosexuality, having sex with another man as with a woman. It is a detestable sin.

23 “A man must not defile himself by having sex with an animal. And a woman must not offer herself to a male animal to have intercourse with it. This is a perverse act.

24 “Do not defile yourselves in any of these ways, for the people I am driving out before you have defiled themselves in all these ways. 25 Because the entire land has become defiled, I am punishing the people who live there. I will cause the land to vomit them out. 26 You must obey all my decrees and regulations. You must not commit any of these detestable sins. This applies both to native-born Israelites and to the foreigners living among you.

27 “All these detestable activities are practiced by the people of the land where I am taking you, and this is how the land has become defiled. 28 So do not defile the land and give it a reason to vomit you out, as it will vomit out the people who live there now. 29 Whoever commits any of these detestable sins will be cut off from the community of Israel. 30 So obey my instructions, and do not defile yourselves by committing any of these detestable practices that were committed by the people who lived in the land before you. I am the Lord your God.”

Leviticus 18 NLT

Is there a way of misinterpreting without denying the God of Heaven Who is our Creator.

Quote:
Much as your views might be an argument with another God.

"Thus says the LORD, “The products of Egypt and the merchandise of Cush And the Sabeans, men of stature, Will come over to you and will be yours; They will walk behind you, they will come over in chains And will bow down to you; They will make supplication to you: ‘ Surely, God is with you, and there is none else, No other God.’”"Isaiah 45:14 NASB

Bold mine LHC

God blesses! peace

Lift Jesus up!!

Originally Posted By: BobRyan

Lev 18.

in Christ,

Bob

Indeed my argument would be with a God. Much as your views might be an argument with another God.

Or more accurately each would have an argument with the human interpretation of these Gods.

My Bible has 66 books in it -- and "all scripture is inspired by God " -- in my Bible.

I notice you ignored the text entirely that was given regarding that topic. I am guessing that is required to get to your conclusions.

in Christ,

Bob

John 8:32 - The Truth will make you free

“The righteousness of Christ will not cover one cherished sin." COL 316.

Quote:

Lev 18.

in Christ,

Bob

Nice to see someone who sees the Word of God as a valid source for drawing conclusions.

John 8:32 - The Truth will make you free

“The righteousness of Christ will not cover one cherished sin." COL 316.

My Bible has 66 books in it -- and "all scripture is inspired by God " -- in my Bible.

I notice you ignored the text entirely that was given regarding that topic. I am guessing that is required to get to your conclusions.

in Christ,

Bob

Just because I do not buy it as valid does not mean I ignored it Bob.

If a visitor comes to my house no I do not. If I allow said visitor to become a resident in my home, help pay for it and support it then yes - they should have a say in how it is run. Their views should be respected and represented as equally as mine. Likewise with my kids. I have two basically grown up kids that live with me still. Their views and beliefs are as respected as my own even if we do not agree on them all. As long as it does not cause physical or psychological harm to the younger members of the family.

LOL Doug - I hear ya which is why I am not going to go over it point by point. I am all ocd about fixing the quotes to and that takes forever......

We obviously see things from a different perspective and I actually think that is something worth celebrating. That is religious liberty!

Oh and by the way to answer one of your questions..... Canada of course bwink

My point in all of this is this. I find it frightening when any politition seeks out the support of a radical religious leader. I don't care what the religion is. I would worry if it was a muslim, a druid, a heathen, a buddhist - whatever. Anybody that believes that only one religion should be allowed scares the life out of me. That is very much what that preacher was saying no matter how anyone wants to colour it. While I disagree with many Christian things I will be the first (and often am ) to defend your right to worship your God.