ClubAdventist is back!

I don't think I will be an SDA member

OzarkWoman

I just can't quit the smoking and because of that the pastor will not baptize me. I guess it was not meant to be.

• Replies 353
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Woody

• OzarkWoman

• Overaged

• Nic Samojluk

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I just can't quit the smoking and because of that the pastor will not baptize me. I guess it was not meant to be.

I am so sorry to hear this OzarkWoman - but yeah - that's the problem with expecting victory over certain sins. Just remember that God loves you even if you never overcome smoking. And keep your eyes out for a new pastor.

May we be one so that the world may be won.
Christian from the cradle to the grave
I believe in Hematology.

Yes, Woody is right about this. I have a step son who's father is a SDA pastor and he smokes and like you, want's to stop--but can't even though he tried many times. I told him that's the problem--trying. One either does it or not--there is no in-between.

Here is the thing that I am sure Woody and many others will agree on, is that each of us have our own silly and hard to get rid of problems, and as Jesus proved, not one of us out here can 'cast a stone' at you for not stopping smoking. As for being baptized an Adventist, it appears from your words that you are already an Adventist in your heart--which is what God looks at anyway. Besides, smoking is just a crutch and some day perhaps God will help you throw your 'crutch' away so you can 'pick up your bed and walk'. In the meantime, hang in there with us, as we all need to get rid or our own 'crutches' and pray for all of us here on this forum. I will be praying for you too.

Originally Posted By: OzarkWoman

I am so sorry to hear this OzarkWoman - but yeah - that's the problem with expecting victory over certain sins. Just remember that God loves you even if you never overcome smoking. And keep your eyes out for a new pastor.

Actually, I am not going to keep my eyes out for any new pastor because I am done with organized religion. I was done before this church and pastor but this just finished it for me.

OW, I think your own personal relationship and walk with your God is far more important than being baptized or whether you attend the "right" church.

• Members

Yes, Woody is right about this. I have a step son who's father is a SDA pastor and he smokes and like you, want's to stop--but can't even though he tried many times. I told him that's the problem--trying. One either does it or not--there is no in-between.

Here is the thing that I am sure Woody and many others will agree on, is that each of us have our own silly and hard to get rid of problems, and as Jesus proved, not one of us out here can 'cast a stone' at you for not stopping smoking. As for being baptized an Adventist, it appears from your words that you are already an Adventist in your heart--which is what God looks at anyway. Besides, smoking is just a crutch and some day perhaps God will help you throw your 'crutch' away so you can 'pick up your bed and walk'. In the meantime, hang in there with us, as we all need to get rid or our own 'crutches' and pray for all of us here on this forum. I will be praying for you too.

:like:

phkrause

By the decree enforcing the institution of the papacy in violation of the law of God, our nation will disconnect herself fully from righteousness. When Protestantism shall stretch her hand across the gulf to grasp the hand of the Roman power, when she shall reach over the abyss to clasp hands with spiritualism, when, under the influence of this threefold union, our country shall repudiate every principle of its Constitution as a Protestant and republican government, and shall make provision for the propagation of papal falsehoods and delusions, then we may know that the time has come for the marvelous working of Satan and that the end is near. {5T 451.1}

OW, I think your own personal relationship and walk with your God is far more important than being baptized or whether you attend the "right" church.

thumbsup

I believe in Hematology.

Ozark Woman,

You can do it, quit smoking, get down on your knees and claim this promise,

Php 4:13 I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me.

Of our selves we have no power over the evil things and the devil and his angels, but Christ in you all things are possible, right now your need and desire to do the right thing, quit being a chimney for cigarettes.

Like Paul admonished, Your only hope is He in you and He desires to be,

Col 1:27 To whom God would make known what is the riches of the glory of this mystery among the Gentiles; which is Christ in you, the hope of glory:

1Jo 4:4 ¶ Ye are of God, little children, and have overcome them: because greater is he that is in you, than he that is in the world.

A Freeman In Jesus Christ

Quote:
You can do it, quit smoking, get down on your knees and claim this promise

OzarkWoman has already done this Gibs.

God does not always answer our prayers in the way we might wish. There are times we are called to suffer.

I believe in Hematology.

Quote:

God does not always answer our prayers in the way we might wish. There are times we are called to suffer.

Besides, I don't see where smoking is a violation of the ten commandments. Sure, it is unhealthy, but so is overeating and a lot of other stupid things we all do. As for 'our bodies being the temple for the Holy Spirit', I never read where Jesus ever said that.

Reminds me of the old TV pastor who smoked stogies and wore a hat and raced horses--yes, he was a real interesting fellow and finally gave up smoking--when he died.

And Gibs, I like what you posted, but it really is OUR own choices that make the big difference with issues like this. I also understand her problems with orgainized religion as I too have a problem with that. Like what Jesus told Peter, put your eyes on Him and keep them there, as we humans are not the ones we must follow after. Seek first the Kingdom of Heaven AND His righteousness and then the problem of smoking will take care of itself.

Quote:

God never calls for us to suffer through disobedience but rather that we turn away.

Remember Adventists Online?

The other day I prayed to God that I might never sin again. As HE is the only one that can give that power to me.

Trouble was - my prayer was not answered.

I believe in Hematology.

It seems to me there is conflicting things going on within the church and with the pastor, in my mind anyway. The thing he always kept saying is that we don't get saved by our works but by believing and having faith. OK, I get that and believe that. But then he turns around and says that I have to give up smoking to get baptized and that seems like works to me. I mean, I have changed a lot of my other ways and the pastor even admits that fact and has said many times, as others have, how I am quite different in my attitude and all. So, what the heck is the problem is my question?

I must have missed that scripture. Would you please point me to the scripture that says we are not to smoke, especially since it is a legal thing?

It seems to me there is conflicting things going on within the church and with the pastor, in my mind anyway. The thing he always kept saying is that we don't get saved by our works but by believing and having faith. OK, I get that and believe that. But then he turns around and says that I have to give up smoking to get baptized and that seems like works to me. I mean, I have changed a lot of my other ways and the pastor even admits that fact and has said many times, as others have, how I am quite different in my attitude and all. So, what the heck is the problem is my question?

Good Question. And Good Thinking. thumbsup

I believe in Hematology.

What medical helps have you utilized to stop smoking? Patches? Gum? Chantix? Counseling? Start by avoiding the stores that sell cigs.

Remember Adventists Online?

OzarkWoman, you could contact your conference president and ask him why your pastor won't baptize you. Your conference president has baptized smokers in the past--maybe he'll baptize you.

What medical helps have you utilized to stop smoking? Patches? Gum? Chantix? Counseling? Start by avoiding the stores that sell cigs.

No medical helps because I don't believe in the drugs and all. It really does seem STUPID to take in nicotene when one is trying to get rid of it. Beside, Chantix has some side effects that would be really bad for me because of a condition I have. You need not know anymore than that.

Avoid stores that sell ciggs? How funny is that?! NOT!!!! That would mean that I could do no grocery shopping or anything. Please try and think before posting such frivilous things.

• Members

Sorry to hear that OW.

phkrause

By the decree enforcing the institution of the papacy in violation of the law of God, our nation will disconnect herself fully from righteousness. When Protestantism shall stretch her hand across the gulf to grasp the hand of the Roman power, when she shall reach over the abyss to clasp hands with spiritualism, when, under the influence of this threefold union, our country shall repudiate every principle of its Constitution as a Protestant and republican government, and shall make provision for the propagation of papal falsehoods and delusions, then we may know that the time has come for the marvelous working of Satan and that the end is near. {5T 451.1}

I am going to tell him tomorrow after church that I am going to quit the baptismal classes and all since it seems a waste of his and my time. Of course, I will tell him why.

• Members

Well good luck, I wonder if that will change his mind? I do know a few pastors that probably would've baptized you by now.

phkrause

Well good luck, I wonder if that will change his mind? I do know a few pastors that probably would've baptized you by now.

At this point, I really don't care anymore. I am done with organized religion and doubt that I even continue to go to church much anymore. It just isn't worth it.

Let's take a look at the Great Gospel Commission regarding baptism --

Quote:
Matt.28:19-20 "Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost:

Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and, lo, I am with you alway, [even] unto the end of the world."

Please notice that what it does not say.

It does not say to go forth and make sure people observe all things and then to baptize. I think perhaps we have things backwards here.

I believe in Hematology.

That is why I question about works versus believing and having faith. The pastor told me that baptism is about my old self dying and being reborn a new creature. OK, fine and all of that and it makes sense, but I thought that we constantly working and striving to be better and live for Christ the best we can.