ClubAdventist is back!

Dan Jackson weighs in on the Travyon Martin case

Windsor

Adventist Community Weighs in on Trayvon

The president of the North American Division of the Adventist Church has issued a statement on the fatal shooting of Trayvon Martin.

By Gina Tenorio

March 26, 2012

Trayvon Martin, 17, an African-American, was shot and killed on Feb. 26, by George Zimmerman in Sanford, a suburb of Orlando, Fla. The shooting happened as Martin walked back to his father’s house after buying Skittles and an iced tea from a nearby convenience store.

Zimmerman, 28, described as Latino, had been patrolling the neighborhood as part of a neighborhood watch program. Zimmerman claims self defense. Others insist the killing was a hate crime.

Below is a statement released this morning by the Seventh-day Adventist Church in North America.

"Leaders and members of the Seventh-day Adventist Church in North America join with others in the deep concern of the senseless violent acts surrounding the death of Trayvon Martin one month ago. Young Trayvon fits the description of many of our youth, many of our own children. We join in mourning with his family and friends and pray for justice to be found in this situation and the love of Christ to be manifested in our communities."

------------------------

Number one, it seems like Dan Jackson has already made up his mind on the guilty party. Secondly, why did we (Dan Jackson on behalf of us) release a statement in the first place?

Remember Adventists Online?

I agree, Windsor...he does sound like he has already found Zimmerman guilty.... So has Angela Corey (think that is her name)....she said in her speech that she was going to get "Justice for Treyvon".... What about JUSTICE - PERIOD?

When the character of Christ shall be perfectly reproduced in His people, then He will come to claim them as His own. {COL 69}

The Narrow Way Ministires

5464 State Road

Kingsville, OH 44048

choose_the_narrow_way@yahoo.com

• Members

I don't see that at all, I see someone who's willing to put himself out there and mourn with the family of Trayvon Martin. I also mourn with his family and also feel for Zimmerman. Unfortunately we will never know the real truth until we get to ask Jesus what really happen.

phkrause

By the decree enforcing the institution of the papacy in violation of the law of God, our nation will disconnect herself fully from righteousness. When Protestantism shall stretch her hand across the gulf to grasp the hand of the Roman power, when she shall reach over the abyss to clasp hands with spiritualism, when, under the influence of this threefold union, our country shall repudiate every principle of its Constitution as a Protestant and republican government, and shall make provision for the propagation of papal falsehoods and delusions, then we may know that the time has come for the marvelous working of Satan and that the end is near. {5T 451.1}

All he said was he prays that justice be found. That could go either way.

I prayed for twenty years but received no answer until I prayed with my legs.

Frederick Douglass

• Administrators

Dan should not have gotten involved in this distraction.

thumbsup

If your dreams are not big enough to scare you, they are not big enough for God

All he said was he prays that justice be found. That could go either way.
Better read the release again. That's not all he said. "...the senseless violent acts surrounding the death of Trayvon Martin..." that presupposes that the story relayed by the media is accurate.While it could go either way it seems to lean (for right or wrong)towards the innocent 14year old picture. I'm with the wait and see before offering any comment on justice camp.Or simply make no comment at all.Why does this case deserve a statement when the hundreds of other victims of senseless crimes get nothing? what about the dozens or more of 5 year old kids accidently killed in mistaken drive-bys?

Better read the release again. That's not all he said. "...the senseless violent acts surrounding the death of Trayvon Martin..."

Frederick Douglass

I don't see that at all, I see someone who's willing to put himself out there and mourn with the family of Trayvon Martin. I also mourn with his family and also feel for Zimmerman. Unfortunately we will never know the real truth until we get to ask Jesus what really happen.

I agree.

Frederick Douglass

1. Violent crime is senseless -- we all agree.

2. Jackson forgot to "lament" the senseless beating of Zimmerman.

3. Jackson forgot to mention the eye-witness account of Trayvon's senseless beating of Zimmerman. And thus when he mentions that the SDA youth are just like Trayvon Martin in this story it is difficult to determine if he is lamenting that fact or supposing it to be a good thing.

If indeed the SDA youth of Florida are roaming gated neighborhoods and beating on neighborhood watch members of those communities - Then is Jackson suggesting that we should just pray that they are not shot while doing so. If that is his recommendation -- then we have a huge problem in Jackson's North American Division.

4. Jackson does lament at least one part of the violence - and that is the shooting of Martin. We can all lament the fact that this ended in death and that the beating took place at all.

Why is it so difficult "for some" to lament both acts of violence?

in Christ,

Bob

John 8:32 - The Truth will make you free

“The righteousness of Christ will not cover one cherished sin." COL 316.

If Zimmerman, being at least 11 years older, and presumably more responsible and mature, had followed the 911 operators advice and stayed in his car, there would of never been any acts of violence.

But no, he has a trigger happy temper, and a 9mm trigger to pull, so he felt brave and bold. Stay in your car, let the kid make it home with his skittles, and the world is a safe place. No violence, no statements from church officials, no beat down, by a unarmed 17 year old, allegedly, no subsequent civil case,(Martin's family needs to sue the gated community into oblivion). None of this would of happened if he had stayed in his car, with his gun and his gun permit, and let the local police handle the situation, if indeed there was a situation that needed to be handled.

Frederick Douglass

Originally Posted By: BobRyan

If Zimmerman, being at least 11 years older, and presumably more responsible and mature, had followed the 911 operators advice and stayed in his car, there would of never been any acts of violence.

Quote:

There is all together too much misinformation flying around.

Fact: Zimmerman DID follow the advice of the operators and returned to his car. But on his way back - he was ambushed by Martin. So your theory is thrown out the window.

May we be one so that the world may be won.
Christian from the cradle to the grave
I believe in Hematology.

Originally Posted By: olger
Dan should not have gotten involved in this distraction.

thumbsup

thumbsupthumbsup

I believe in Hematology.

Fact: Zimmerman DID follow the advice of the operators and returned to his car. But on his way back - he was ambushed by Martin. So your theory is thrown out the window.

Hang on, Woody, how do we know for a fact that your fact is,in fact, not a fact at all but actually factually part of the misinformation that you just warned us about?

Originally Posted By: Woody

Hang on, Woody, how do we know for a fact that your fact is,in fact, not a fact at all but actually factually part of the misinformation that you just warned us about?

Try this fact then:

NO BODY KNOWS NOTHIN'

I believe in Hematology.

Originally Posted By: Woody

Try this fact then:

NO BODY KNOWS NOTHIN'

That's not true!! I know for a fact that you're right about your last statement!!

Thanks. I try to be right 99% of the time.

I believe in Hematology.

3. Jackson forgot to mention the eye-witness account of Trayvon's senseless beating of Zimmerman. And thus when he mentions that the SDA youth are just like Trayvon Martin in this story it is difficult to determine if he is lamenting that fact or supposing it to be a good thing.

If indeed the SDA youth of Florida are roaming gated neighborhoods and beating on neighborhood watch members of those communities - Then is Jackson suggesting that we should just pray that they are not shot while doing so. If that is his recommendation -- then we have a huge problem in Jackson's North American Division.

4. Jackson does lament at least one part of the violence - and that is the shooting of Martin. We can all lament the fact that this ended in death and that the beating took place at all.

Why is it so difficult "for some" to lament both acts of violence?

in Christ,

Bob

Excellent post, Bob! You ought to repost this on Spectrum....they need a little balance there....

When the character of Christ shall be perfectly reproduced in His people, then He will come to claim them as His own. {COL 69}

The Narrow Way Ministires

5464 State Road

Kingsville, OH 44048

choose_the_narrow_way@yahoo.com

This will be played out in the courts, which it is where it should be. The court of public opinion too often is lacking real facts.

May justice prevail

If you receive benefit to being here please help out with expenses.

https://www.paypal.me/clubadventist

Administrator of a few websites like https://adventistdating.com

Excellent post, Bob! You ought to repost this on Spectrum....they need a little balance there....

Spectrum positions itself by its actions as having a liberal anti-SDA agenda. Under that "big tent" they gladly tolerate posts that use foul language and swearing to condemn the SDA beliefs and organization.

Their worst nightmare is that someone like me would come there and consistently post a balanced view without using such ad hominem methods in a true "just the facts ma'am" style.

But even that is somewhat tolerable to them - until I suggested in several posts that they sign up for the idea that nobody should be persecuted, tormented or tortured just because they have a different theological POV. (Normally an idea that liberals would support - I admit). But they were so incensed at that suggestion they urged me not to present any more balanced views on their website - so I am complying with their request.

in Christ,

Bob

Originally Posted By: Kountzer

If Zimmerman' date=' being at least 11 years older, and presumably more responsible and mature, had followed the 911 operators advice and stayed in his car, there would of never been any acts of violence.

That is probably true - however there is no law in the US that says that you must hide - or else be beaten to death.

In fact (as it turns out) Florida has the exact opposite law - stating that even if you are not cowering in your basement or in a locked car... if someone runs up to you while you stand by your car waiting for the police - and begins beating you to death - you can use lethal force.

Quote:

But no, he has a trigger happy temper, and a 9mm trigger to pull, so he felt brave and bold. Stay in your car, let the kid make it home with his skittles, and the world is a safe place. No violence, no statements from church officials, no beat down, by a unarmed 17 year old, allegedly, no subsequent civil case,(Martin's family needs to sue the gated community into oblivion). None of this would of happened if he had stayed in his car, with his gun and his gun permit, and let the local police handle the situation, if indeed there was a situation that needed to be handled.[/quote']

The police tapes show that Zimmerman never caught up with Trayvon - and simply went back to his car and waited for the police. Trayvon then began to hunt down Zimmerman - eventually finding him at his car as Zimmerman was waiting for the police -- and then Trayvon began assaulting him there. The eye witness claimed to have seen Trayvon doing exactly that - at Zimmerman's car.

But as you point out - if Zimmerman had been locked inside his car - it would have been much harder for Trayvon to beat him as he did and so perhaps none of the violence would have happened.

BTW - "Trigger happy" is not defined as "First take a beating and then shoot" -- at least not in the areas where I live.

in Christ,

Bob

people carrying concealed quite often escalate violence. Packing guns changes people's bravado, their attitude. Quite often they escalate confrontation that they otherwise would not if they were un armed.

Frederick Douglass