ClubAdventist is back!

Urgent Prayer Request

Taylor

I have some friends who are missionaries for the SDA church. I received this email last night from them. Please remember them in your prayers during this most difficult time. They are a wonderful family and I just feel so badly for them.

Taylor

Dear Family and Friends,

It is Sabbath evening and we are sitting in the Los Angeles Airport

waiting for

the first available flight to Tennessee.

This morning, in Sabbath School, we were handed a note saying to call

our son in

Michigan immediately. We slipped out and went to the phone. He told us

our

middle son, Terry, had been in a terrible accident and was not being

given much

chance of living.

We don't know a lot of details, but apparently he has severe head

injuries, a

severed spine, and a broken leg. He has been transferred to the trauma

unit at

Erlinger Hospital in Chattanooga, TN.

Barbara and her folks and I were at Pine Springs Ranch in Southern

California

attending a weekend retreat of people who used to live or work in the

Middle

East. We only had a brief time on Friday night and Sabbath morning with

them,

but we are so thankful for their love and support during this difficult

time.

The Camp Director drove us to Los Angeles airport, and we hope to be in

Chattanooga about noon tomorrow (Sunday). We have been crying a lot,

and

praying a lot, but we know God is in control. There is nothing we can

do but

put Terry in His hands. We know God is all powerful and could work a

miracle.

We are at peace knowing He never is caught off guard or makes a

mistake.

Someday He will explain it all to us and we will rejoice in His

leading.

Still, it is very hard and we would appreciate your prayers for Terry,

for us,

for his wife (Shannon) and their friends. This is a difficult time for

all of

us and it means a lot to know you are praying.

Homer Trecartin, Secretary-Treasurer

Middle East Union of Seventh-day Adventists

I have some good friends in Costa Rica by the name of Mauricio and Ana. Today I found out that Mauricio's mother is very sick in the hospital and not expected to make it. I am not sure about all the details, but I wanted to ask you, my friends and family, to pray for this dear family. The mother's name is "Dona Lucia". Please pray that the Lord would heal her if it is his will. However if not, that she will be able to go quickly and without too much suffering. Pray that the Lord will be especially close to this family as they go through this trying time.

Thanks so much!

Taylor

I am so sorry for your friend's son's tragic accident. I will be praying for Terry and for his family. This tragedy brings to mind a passage from "Patriarchs and Prophets" Ch 5:

"...the cruelties heaped upon the follower of Jesus are instigated by Satan and his hosts because they cannot force him to submit to their control. It is the rage of a vanquished foe."

May God continue to be with Terry and Shannon, and with Homer and his family, and also with Dona Lucia in Costa Rica.

(ps. It's good to see you back Taylor!).

Thanks so much Sid! The prayers are very much appreciated.

And thanks for the welcome back! I have been gone for a while but didn't think anyone had noticed. smile.gif Good to see you too.

• Administrators

So much sadness ..... Will send up prayers. Please keep us informed

If your dreams are not big enough to scare you, they are not big enough for God

Update! Terry is still alive, but his body is in such shock that it is leaking fluids and he is very swollen they said. He is on IV and is still not expected to make it. However, the spinal cord injury was at his waist so if he does survive he would only be paralized from the waist down not his whole body which would be a huge blessing. They have no idea about his mental condition but think he could very well have brain damage due to the fact that he went without oxygen for a little bit, though not long. There is so much swelling they are not sure.

Please keep praying that God's will would be done and to give the family strength. I will keep you updated.

I said a prayer for Terry tonight. I asked God to hold and protect his precious life and bring a mighty healing work to him. I asked Him to be with Terry's family and give them strength and courage, and protect their faith.

"After such knowledge, what forgiveness?" -- T.S. Eliot

Here is an update from Terry's Father. Do keep praying!

Thank you all for your prayers and emails. This morning I logged on and had 174 emails - most of them about Terry. I haven't had a chance to read them yet, but I feel comforted just knowing you wrote. I hope to get to them soon, but for now I am writing this instead.

This morning the doctors were quite encouraged by changes Terry made last night. One even said he was excited. His blood pressure had stabilized and they had been able to stop all bp medication and had stopped pumping large amounts of plasma in to replace what his blood vessels were losing. Terry had also started to come to enough that the tubes were bothering him. He was struggling against them. They had to sedate him to keep him from accidentally pulling one out or something. Those are all good signs, but Terry is still in very critical condition.

During the day they decided they had to get his leg stabilized so they could move him for further tests without causing blood clots at the point of the break and increased shock to his system. The orthopedic team brought their surgery equipment up to his room and screwed a stabilizing rod on the outside of his leg. That procedure aggravated a condition they had been telling us about in the morning - his lungs. Apparently his lungs are one mass of bruises right now. They are not punctured, but were providing less and less ability to get sufficient oxygen into his blood. They have done several procedures on his lungs and inserted a tube into each side of his chest to relieve some of the pressure from fluid build up around them. They said they expected this because the huge impact that broke his back would also have badly bruised the lungs. They told us things will be up and down today and tonight and they will probably have to suction his lungs several times. By tomorrow they are hoping this situation will be stabilized so they can take him out for an MRI on his back.

When we went in this afternoon they were just finishing up all those procedures. The room was quite a mess and he looked bad. It seemed to be a big setback from the morning and we all had a hard time with that visit. Afterward we went out to the park and enjoyed the sun and fresh air. We ate a little and all felt quite a bit better after a couple of hours out there. We went back to the hospital and found Terry looking much better tonight. His oxygen levels, heart rate, etc. were good. We feel some better again tonight, but are getting ready for bed knowing a call could come at any time saying his body was shutting down from the shock and trauma.

It is midnight now, and I must get ready for bed, but I wanted to send you this update. We still cry. We still worry about the future. But we are also at peace knowing that God has used Terry for these 27 years, and used him again today - even though Terry probably doesn't realize it right now. If God has a work for him to do tomorrow I know He will keep Him through the night to do it - and that is really the same situation we all are in. If God has a work for us to do, He will wake us up in the morning and give us the strength to do it. We want to do it faithfully so that He can come soon. We are tired of the suffering and death we see all around us.

We really appreciate all your prayers so much. Thank you for supporting us during this difficult time.

• Moderators

There is not much more to say - good that Terry is still alive - will add my prayers.

• Administrators

Dear Heavenly Father, I pray for these two souls mentioned here, Terry and Dona Lucia, who are in such bad physical shape

You are the Healer and Great Physician. Please regard these struggling ones and be with them

In Jesus' name...

Isaiah 32:17 And the work of righteousness shall be peace; and the effect of righteousness quietness and assurance for ever.

Abba, it's me again. I come again as a Daughter of Your House. We need Jesus so much.... My Bridegroom, these wounded ones need Your healing power. You formed us, nurtured us, blessed us in the womb. You alone know the how's, the why's, the wherefore's of our bodies and how to repair them.

My Jesus... please... We will bow to Your will, but the families of these two wounded ones desire their return to health. They are not yet ready for them to rest until Your return. My Jesus, I ask a healing. A complete healing for both Terry and Dona Lucia. I ask not because they are worthy, but because You are Love, and You are Worthy...

We will be most careful my Bridegroom to give You the Honor, the Glory, the Praise, and the Hallelujahs. Pour out Your Living Blood, filled with healing power upon them. Let them be living testaments to Your Power on the face of the earth.

Jesus, my wonderful King, I do not know Your heart in this... You see the end from the beginning, and I do not. But I do have faith that You are perfect Love, and perfect love casts out fear. So I know that You will do what is best, for Terry, for Dona Lucia, for their families, even if in the short term it causes them grief.

Jesus, I have no righteousness of my own, but I wear Your Armor every day, and part of it is Your Righteousness, which makes me righteous. So, if the prayer of one righteous one will avail anything, I ask for Your Grace and Mercy, new every morning to encompass all those involved in these situations. I ask for healing, for a return to the arms of the families who will miss them so much if they are called to rest until You come in Glory.

Jesus, if is not Your will to restore these two, then comfort their families, in such a way that they feel Your comfort in a tangible way. Oh Jesus, I love You so very much... Help me to love You more.

Thank You for answering this prayer.

Clio

A heart where He alone has first place.

Thanks so much for all your prayers! I know that the Trecartin family and the family in Costa Rica really appreciate it! As soon as I know anything more I will post it here.

Taylor

Here is another update from Terry's Dad. Terry is still in critical condition but there is good news. Please keep praying!

Sincerely,

Taylor

If Monday was like a roller coaster, Tuesday was like trying to push start a truck on a hill - going uphill! It seemed that nothing was happening. We were all exhausted, and there was little change. I knew that was good - at least Terry was still alive and wasn't getting worse. But as I crawled into bed I wondered what tomorrow would bring. Well, today was like the truck engine firing once, twice, then three or four times - it just seems that everything is about to roar to life!

This morning they told us Terry's blood pressure was still holding without medication, his heart had remained strong all through this trauma, and they had taken him off the medication they had used to paralyze him during all the procedures they were doing yesterday. His color looked much better to us, and we were all feeling at least a little rested so things seemed a little brighter. Then the really good news came!

After lunch a friend who works in the trauma floor (where Terry will go if he gets out of Trauma ICU) bumped into the nurse who was on the Life Force helicopter that picked Terry up. He said Terry was breathing on his own when they took him into the helicopter. He said he started the respirator as a precaution. He said he had talked to the paramedic who had been right behind Terry and had helped to stabilize him till Life Force could arrive. The paramedic said Terry had been breathing while he was working on him. Suddenly we felt a bit of hope that maybe there would be no serious brain damage after all. I got goose bumps and started to cry. Shannon (Terry's wife) got out her guitar and began to play some songs. Our mood was good and we were all trying not to let ourselves get too excited.

This afternoon Terry's nurse and the trauma doctor told a few of us that he was having a really good day. They showed us that he was breathing on his own. "Well", they said, "not totally on his own, but above the respirator." He was breathing faster than the respirator, and when it would fill up his lungs, he would breathe even a little deeper. They were very pleased with that.

I asked when they planned to do some EEG or something. They said there was no indication of any brain damage, and they didn't feel they needed to do anything like an EEG - at least not at this point! They said if he had drowned and been resuscitated or his brain and body all seemed to be shutting down, they would do one to see what was there, but they had nothing to make them think he had major brain damage, so were not worrying about that at this point!

We realize Terry is still in very critical condition and that we are grasping at anything that seems positive, but there has been quite a lot today and we are rejoicing. We have had a number of pastors in to see us from the surrounding area. Jerry Fore, a close friend and former pastor, (now the Georgia-Cumberland Conference General Vice President) rearranged his busy schedule so he could come to the hospital and see us. When he came it wasn't visiting hours so he called us and changed more things so he could come back later in the afternoon. Hundreds of you have been emailing (I now have 326 emails I haven't gotten to yet). People have been bringing food, loaned us cars, offered to let us stay with them, and prayed and prayed and prayed. In fact, 100 Pentecostal churches in the area have been praying for Terry and two of the ladies said they were going to be anointed for him by their elders. (Note: The Adventist Church doesn't practice anointing for others, but we certainly appreciate the thoughts and prayers of these dedicated people who are going out of their way for someone they don't even know.) By the way, I can't remember if I told you that John Swafford, the Georgia-Cumberland Conference Pathfinder Director, came up on Sunday and had an anointing service for Terry (following the council of the book of James) while we were still in flight here.

Today Barbara and I have been married 30 years. Last night I prayed and told God it was really just a little thing, but tomorrow was our anniversary and I just wished He could help us get some really good news - Thank you Jesus for answering that prayer with a resounding "yes"! We are continuing to look for even more improvements in the next few days, but are trusting God to do what He knows best. Thank you for holding us up in your prayers.

Another report from report from Terry's Dad. Please keep praying!

Taylor

Sorry there hasn't been a report for a few days, but there just hasn't been too much to report. Terry is doing MUCH better than the first few days, but no dramatic changes since the last email. They still have him sedated, but are reducing that some. He is breathing more on his own. They have had some problems with a low grade fever and the continued problems with his badly bruised lungs. They hope to do a tracheotomy soon. That will be much better for his lungs, more comfortable for him (allowing them to remove more of the sedation), and make it easier to move him for some of the surgeries, etc. he still needs. They have tentatively scheduled back surgery for Wednesday.

A few quick stories will illustrate the ups and downs of emotions we are all experiencing. One minute we may be tingling with excitement and anticipation. The next we may be standing in the corner trying to hide the tears streaming down our cheeks:

1) A couple of days ago our daughter, Becky, arrived at the school where she teaches (they were here in Tennessee on Sunday and went back to Virginia on Monday). As she walked around the corner she almost screamed to herself in anger - someone had pulled up the bushes at the end of the building as part of the remodeling they were doing. After raging and crying away to herself for a few minutes she suddenly stopped and said, "Why in the world am I so upset about some dumb bushes?" Then it dawned on her - it was just one more loss, and right now any loss, even a little one, was more than she could handle. Somehow, just knowing that helped her to feel better though. She still liked the bushes and would miss them, but at least she understood the reason. With her brother it was different. He was laying in the hospital many hours away - struggling for each breath. She didn't know why, and couldn't do anything to help.

2) About the same time here in Tennessee, Shannon (Terry's wife) was struggling with a decision. She was looking at the checkbook and the stack of bills that were due. Their checks had just been direct deposited to the bank, and there was no where near enough money to cover all the bills. Besides that - Terry wouldn't be working for a long time, and she was also missing work to be with him. How would they survive? Finally she took a deep breath, said a little prayer, and wrote out the check for her tithe and offering before starting to pay any of the bills.

We got interrupted just then with the drive to the hospital to visit Terry. When we got back, someone had come to bring lunch (the church has organized different people to bring lunch each day). They had also brought laundry detergent, toilet paper, and other odds and ends they thought we might come up needing. They had also left an envelope with a note - "please use this to help pay bills." Inside were 10 crisp $100 bills - many times the amount she had just written out in the check for tithe and offering! Goose bumps crept along her arms and tears came into her eyes as she realized that the promise in Malachi 3:10 had again been fulfilled - she had been faithful to God and He had opened the windows of heaven to support her.

3) Last night I had been standing in the room, rubbing Terry's puffy left hand and arm when I saw Shannon bend over the bed and lay her head on his right hand as she quietly wiped the tears from her eyes. Suddenly I couldn't stay in the room any more, and sobs threatened to engulf me as I walked toward the hallway door.

4) This afternoon they had reduced Terry's sedatives a little. His body seemed to be moving more and his heart rate spiked twice - once when the nurse was suctioning out his nose, and once when Uncle Paul told him he had cracked the security on Terry's computer and given the password to Shannon :-). It may or may not have been a reaction to what was said, but it gave us a good laugh which we all needed.

We love God. We know He loves us. We see evidence of His care and healing. We rejoice that Terry is still alive, and that he is better than he was at this time last week. But we do still have questions, and we do still have tears. So if you come to visit, don't be too surprised if you see some of us laughing and some of us crying, or if you see the same one of us doing one at first and the other a few minutes later. Just give us a hug, whisper a prayer, and know that someday we will be OK. In the mean time, your love and support are helping us through this difficult time of waiting and wondering.

Taylor,

If you can... Tell Shannon to claim her spiritual authority as Terry's wife and ask for his life in Abba's Will. And if they haven't already, ask for an anointing.

Jesus Grace is sufficient... and He is in control.

Clio

I totally believe with all my heart that the Lord has preserved Terry for a reason. The times I have lifted him in prayer I have felt a strong impression that the Lord was hearing and answering these prayers and I don't get that all the time. So now I want to pray, Heavenly Father, please continue to sustain Terry's life and work Your miracle of healing upon him. Please place Your hand directly upon him and swiftly bring his vital functions back to normal, his consciousness to normal, and his body back to 100% working order, Lord. Please strengthen the faith of his family and friends during this time, give them courage to endure the waiting and the uncertainties, and hope fortified by how You have answered their prayers thus far. In Jesus' name, amen.

In Jesus Name, I stand in agreement with my sister Nico. May she has asked be done according to Thy Divine Will.

Another letter from Terry's Dad. Keep praying! This is encouraging!

Taylor

Yesterday started off with bad news. A friend woke Shannon up early to tell her that Shannon and Terry's cat had just been killed on the road. Then, when we arrived at the hospital to visit, Terry wasn't in his room. They told us he was out for a CT scan. That was good news, but also scarry since they had almost lost him as he returned from the first CT scan shortly after he arrived.

A few minutes after we got there they wheeled Terry past us and said he did REALLY well. Because of that they decided to do leg surgery later in the day to put the rod inside his leg instead of on the outside. The surgery involved a new procedure that has only been done 37 times before and they wanted to video it for an up coming conference - we said OK figuring they would be really careful if they knew they were on camera :-) (we feel very confident in the doctors and nurses he has - some have said that two of the four best trauma surgeons in the US work at Erlanger, and both of them have been working on Terry). After the surgery we learned that one of the Sabbath School teachers from Terry and Shannon's church is the research director at the hospital and was in Terry's surgery because of this new procedure. He found us after and gave us a full and encouraging report.

By the evening visit Terry was seeming to be even better than before. The doctor told us the CT scan showed a small pneumothorax (sp? = pocket of air) still on the side of the lung where they have the chest tube, but was nothing to worry about - just may delay the back surgery for a few days till it clears up. They said the CT of his head showed absolutely no physical injuries to the brain! They can't tell about possible injuries from lack of oxygen yet, but were very pleased that there are no bruises or swellings. They say it is still too early to tell. There are many factors affecting when he wakes up (including the sedation he is on), and they will just have to wait a while longer to see what happens before they start getting too worried. We went home to bed very encouraged.

This morning his eyes were mostly open. That is partly from still being swollen, but we could see the lids moving a little and even the eye balls moving slightly from side to side. When I flashed the camera a couple of times his pupils got small and the eyelids blinked. His heart rate jumped from 99 to 111 when we started talking to him and at one point got up to 125 when one of the pastors was praying for him.

We decided to do what the doctors had said and ask him to do things for us. They said he would probably respond more to Shannon than to them since he knew her voice and it would pull him out of his groggy state more quickly than their voices would. Three times we told him to close his eyes and he immediately closed them as far as he could. When I talked to him his eyes twitched sideways a little as though he was trying to look my direction. He also lurched his shoulders and neck twice - both times just as Shannon let go of his hand and moved away from his side. It seemed very clear that he did not want her to go and leave him.

We know Terry still has a long way to go, but are rejoicing in the progress so far. Thank you all for your continued prayers and support. They mean so much to us right now.

This is exciting news! I just know the Lord is going to bring a full restoration to this young man. It might take time, but I strongly feel it will one day all be completely behind him.

Yes! I was so excited yesterday when I received this email. Do keep praying for Terry and his whole family. If he does survive, I want him to have the best recovery possible. He is very athletic and the thoughts of being bedridden or something would be just about impossible for Terry to handle. He loves outdoor activities like hiking, and probably all that goes with like like repelling etc. God is still a God of miracles!

Father in Heaven, we know that You never begin any good work that You do not see through to completion as well. We thank You for the good work you have begun with Terry's recovery, and praise You for that, and look forward now to watching You bring it to full completion. Bring Your promises to mind for his family to give them courage and strength as they watch and wait with him for the completion of Your excellent work. Continue to guide the minds and hands of his doctors to provide the very best of care for him as You continue to fill him with life force and work in the hidden places of his cells and tissues to knit him back together in fulness of health and strength. Thank You so much for being our Divine Physician, our Healer, and a Worker of Miracles. We give You all the praise and glory for what You are doing for Terry right now, in Jesus' name! Amen.