ClubAdventist is back!

Question for Seventh Day Adventist

MEGAMAN

Hello everyone,

I'm not a Seventh Day Adventist, but I have questions about the religion. I come from a Catholic background, but right now I'm dating a Seventh Day Adventist. After talking to her father about religion one day I realized that he had a very negative opinion of the Catholic Church. He felt that the Catholic Church was evil and he felt that the Pope believed that he was greater than God. My girlfriend said that church members would not let a catholic through the front door of their church if they tried to visit, but her family does not feel that way. I must admit that I was deeply offended when I heard this. I was not offended by my GF's family, but by the religious leaders of her church. I did some research when I went home that day and came across this:

"Seventh-Day Adventist view

Because Ellen Gould White, founder of the Seventh-Day Adventists, concluded that "Spiritual Babylon" would have worldwide influence, affecting "all nations", she wrote, in a book called The Great Controversy (often reprinted as "American in Prophecy": one of the large corpus of Ms White's writings), that Imperial Rome could not meet the criteria, as she wrote that it only had influence in the Old World (the New World had not yet been discovered at the time of Jesus). Thus, Ellen Gould White concluded that the true "Whore of Babylon" must be the "Roman" Catholic Church (disregarding the other 22 sui iuris Eastern Catholic Churches), giving lasting impetus and inspiration to the strong anti-Catholicism present throughout much of Adventism through its history.[40]"

I know that just like other religions the Catholic Church also has a dark history. My question is if the majority of the Seventh Day Adventist of TODAY believe that the Catholic Church is evil and that the followers are also evil?

Megaman,

The best advice I think that can be given on your wonderings is from EGW to her older sister. She would not have any bias to her but to tell her the truth of what she knew to to true. Ellen may have been biased to some extent to say the same to leadership of the SDA organization, but not here, read,

"God has a church. It is not the great cathedral, neither is it the national establishment, neither is it the various denominations; it is the people who love God and keep His commandments. "Where two or three are gathered together in my name, there am I in the midst of them" (Matthew 18:20). Where Christ is even among the humble few, this is Christ's church, for the presence of the High and Holy One who inhabiteth eternity can alone constitute a church. {UL 315.5}

Where two or three are present who love and obey the commandments of God, Jesus there presides, let it be in the desolate place of the earth, in the wilderness, in the city enclosed in prison walls. The glory of God has penetrated the prison walls, flooding with glorious beams of heavenly light the darkest dungeon. His saints may suffer, but their sufferings will, like the apostles of old, spread their faith and win souls to Christ and glorify His holy name. The bitterest opposition expressed by those who hate God's great moral standard of righteousness should not and will not shake the steadfast soul who trusts fully in God. . . . {UL 315.6}

They that will be doers of the word are building securely, and the tempest and storm of persecution will not shake their foundation, because their souls are rooted to the eternal Rock.--Letter 108, Oct. 28, 1886, to her older sister and her husband who had not accepted the Sabbath truth. {UL 315.7}

Mt 18:20 For where two or three are gathered together in my name, there am I in the midst of them.

Joh 4:24 God is a Spirit: and they that worship him must worship him in spirit and in truth.

Just you and I can have Church at anytime and place or you or I could have Church in a lonely prison cell. He is Spirit and is omnipresent.

Don't be fooled by the hype of the world and denominational churches in it for the money and luxurious living for the big boys in it.

1Jo 4:4 ¶ Ye are of God, little children, and have overcome them: because greater is he that is in you, than he that is in the world.

A Freeman In Jesus Christ

Quote:
My girlfriend said that church members would not let a catholic through the front door of their church if they tried to visit

Having attended the Adventist church for over 50 years - I've never met anyone that felt like this. So, I feel that either your assumptions or your imformation is skewed. Certainly the church organization does not promote nor believe this. Quite the opposite.

One of my best friends is a catholic. I've been to Mass with him and he has been to my church with me.

May we be one so that the world may be won.
Christian from the cradle to the grave
I believe in Hematology.

True, Red.

As a suggestion, a better use of time might be you and your girlfriend looking into the Bible together and praying together. That could build spiritual intimacy in your relationship, and avoid getting involved in a spiritual disparity.

rejoice always,

G

"Please don't feed the drama queens.."

I just wanted to say that I'm not here to start any trouble or spread false information. I just have questions.

Woody, It really makes me happy to here that you have that kind of relationship with your friend. I've gone to a Baptist church with a buddy of mine a couple of times to worship with him as well. I respect all religions and love all Christians. One day I told my GF that I would like to visit her church on a Saturday to worship with her and she said ok, but then she made a weird face like if there was something wrong. The conversation that I had with her father came after that incident. This is the reason my I'm here asking questions.

I have a question about Ellen White. Did she play a significant role in the creation of the church or was she just a well known member. Kind of like what Mother Teresa is to the Catholic Church.

Someone mentioned that Ellen White did write down some things that were anti catholic. For those of you that believe in Ellen White do you agree with those teachings? Are all Seventh Day Adventist taught to believe in Ellen White?

Quote:
Did she play a significant role in the creation of the church or was she just a well known member.

She was a "co-founder".

Quote:
Someone mentioned that Ellen White did write down some things that were anti catholic.

She did write things that were against your church structure or 'leadership' but not against the people.

Quote:
For those of you that believe in Ellen White do you agree with those teachings?

Many do not.

Quote:
Are all Seventh Day Adventist taught to believe in Ellen White?

We are taught to go to scripture first and foremost. If what we read from Ellen White's writings do not agree with scripture - we are told by her own words - to reject her writings. But after all - her writings are just to point us to our own reading of the Bible.

I believe in Hematology.

Megaman,

Just a sugestion. You and your sweetie find a truth of His Word home church group that keeps the Sabbath and that love you and yours and you can't find no fault in the teaching. We have several around here.

May you be blessed in your quest to please Him and do His Will.

1Jo 4:4 ¶ Ye are of God, little children, and have overcome them: because greater is he that is in you, than he that is in the world.

Gibs - He's a catholic. He goes to church on Sunday - not Sabbath.

I believe in Hematology.

Hello everyone,

I'm not a Seventh Day Adventist, but I have questions about the religion. I come from a Catholic background, but right now I'm dating a Seventh Day Adventist. After talking to her father about religion one day I realized that he had a very negative opinion of the Catholic Church. He felt that the Catholic Church was evil and he felt that the Pope believed that he was greater than God. My girlfriend said that church members would not let a catholic through the front door of their church if they tried to visit, but her family does not feel that way.

facebook. /teresa.quintero.790

Hello everyone,

I'm not a Seventh Day Adventist, but I have questions about the religion. I come from a Catholic background, but right now I'm dating a Seventh Day Adventist. After talking to her father about religion one day I realized that he had a very negative opinion of the Catholic Church. He felt that the Catholic Church was evil and he felt that the Pope believed that he was greater than God. My girlfriend said that church members would not let a catholic through the front door of their church if they tried to visit, but her family does not feel that way.

• Administrators

Megaman, I do not believe that Catholic believers are evil. My husband has family members who are Catholic and I currently have a sweet friend who is a Catholic. We often ask each other to join in prayer.

Dark histories are facts and they are not hearts of people. There are evil people in the church (the Bible talks about tares) and in the world, just as there are good people in the church and in the world. God is really looking for people with a heart to follow Him and be faithful to Him. Each of us must really come to a place where we look higher than people or systems and connect with Him the Father and with His Son in a personal way.

I like olger's counsel- that of reading and studying your Bible together! I think that is a great middle ground and starting place.

Isaiah 32:17 And the work of righteousness shall be peace; and the effect of righteousness quietness and assurance for ever.

But Woody,

His girl friend is a Sabbath keeper and she is the better half you know so he is torn between her and whether he finds Catholicim that great. Sounds to me like Megaman is somewhat open and asking questions which is the thing to do and sort out all the answers to what fits Yahs. Word.

Woody we both know he'll get all kinds of advice here from many differing walks.

I pray Yahs. Spirit guide him into the truth of what he is seeking.

Now a Word from Jesus,

Joh 16:13 Howbeit when he, the Spirit of truth, is come, he will guide you into all truth: for he shall not speak of himself; but whatsoever he shall hear, that shall he speak: and he will shew you things to come.

Just sayin' - some Catholics know Jesus better than some SDAs.

I believe in Hematology.

Just sayin' - some Catholics know Jesus better than some SDAs.
I agree. And will be the very ones to uphold the 3AM that many of us have perhaps not seen clearly.

Megaman, I do not believe that Catholic believers are evil. My husband has family members who are Catholic and I currently have a sweet friend who is a Catholic. We often ask each other to join in prayer.

Dark histories are facts and they are not hearts of people. There are evil people in the church (the Bible talks about tares) and in the world, just as there are good people in the church and in the world. God is really looking for people with a heart to follow Him and be faithful to Him. Each of us must really come to a place where we look higher than people or systems and connect with Him the Father and with His Son in a personal way.

I like olger's counsel- that of reading and studying your Bible together! I think that is a great middle ground and starting place.

:like:

"People [rarely] see...the bright light which is in the clouds..." (Job 37:21)

"I cannot know why suddenly the storm

should rage so fiercely round me in it's wrath

But this I know: God watches all my path

And I can trust"

"God helps us to draw strength from the storm" - Overaged

Faith makes things possible; it does not make them easy, Steps To Christ

Resoning back and forth together with a brotherly regard for each and everyone. This thing of laying belittleing remarks and sharp cuts back is uncalled for.

We see too much of that. Sure there is a lot of disagreeance among us. But fire and flame throwing is not what Christians do among fellow brethren and fellows of the world.

• 2 weeks later...

Megaman,

I can honestly say that I never had anyone say that they would not let a Catholic through the front door. I'm sure that most SDA's would welcome a Catholic to their church. But, they do teach that the Catholic church is the harlot spoken of in Revelation, that they will be instrumental in introducing a Sunday Law and that Sabbath keepers will be persecuted.

Don't know if you are still reading this thread, but I felt (perhaps wrongly) that you may not have gotten a full understanding of the teachings of the official church.

Pray and study...

Born Again - When you say - "the church believes" and the "teachings of the official church" I wonder what you mean.

The only place where our official teachings can be found are in the 28 Fundamentals. Can you please refer me to the exact number of the Fundamental where you find this belief as you state?

Or - could it be better to say that some SDAs believe rather than the "officical church"? For if it's not in the Fundamentals it's not our official belief.

I believe in Hematology.

Woody,

You are correct that the Catholic Church is not mentioned in the 28 Fundamental Beliefs. By some, I would say Mark Finley, the speakers at Evangelistic meetings, EGW, Doug Batchelor, and pretty much most of the SDA's I knew.

Are you saying that it is an obscure teaching? By that I mean, that the Mark of the Beast is the Sunday Law, and that the Catholic Church changed Sabbath to Sunday and will bring a Sunday Law as the final test for Christians?

Bottom line: no one should take anything I say as an authoritative voice. In the spirit of full disclosure and transparency, I was an SDA for 27 years (all adult years...this doesn't include childhood). So I'm not unfamiliar with the SDA church. But, I did feel that Megaman wasn't getting the full teachings that come from EGW and the leaders. If that hasn't been your experience, or you don't think it is something that is taught, then we have had a difference experience.

Thanks for your response.

Thanks born again.

I think it's a matter of who you hang out with.

I believe in Hematology.

• Members

Hello everyone,

I'm not a Seventh Day Adventist, but I have questions about the religion. I come from a Catholic background, but right now I'm dating a Seventh Day Adventist. After talking to her father about religion one day I realized that he had a very negative opinion of the Catholic Church. He felt that the Catholic Church was evil and he felt that the Pope believed that he was greater than God. My girlfriend said that church members would not let a catholic through the front door of their church if they tried to visit, but her family does not feel that way. I must admit that I was deeply offended when I heard this. I was not offended by my GF's family, but by the religious leaders of her church. I did some research when I went home that day and came across this:

"Seventh-Day Adventist view

Because Ellen Gould White, founder of the Seventh-Day Adventists, concluded that "Spiritual Babylon" would have worldwide influence, affecting "all nations", she wrote, in a book called The Great Controversy (often reprinted as "American in Prophecy": one of the large corpus of Ms White's writings), that Imperial Rome could not meet the criteria, as she wrote that it only had influence in the Old World (the New World had not yet been discovered at the time of Jesus). Thus, Ellen Gould White concluded that the true "Whore of Babylon" must be the "Roman" Catholic Church (disregarding the other 22 sui iuris Eastern Catholic Churches), giving lasting impetus and inspiration to the strong anti-Catholicism present throughout much of Adventism through its history.[40]"

I know that just like other religions the Catholic Church also has a dark history. My question is if the majority of the Seventh Day Adventist of TODAY believe that the Catholic Church is evil and that the followers are also evil?

Welcome Megaman. Interesting question. I don't agree that SDAs think that the members of the RCC are evil. I have a SIL that is RCC as she is a wonderful Christian. I think if you read what the list of individuals you named above wrote and said about the RCC you'd see that they are not saying that members are evil but that any system that goes against what the Bible teaches is evil or antichrist. I'd even go as far as saying that there's probably SDAs in that category.

phkrause

By the decree enforcing the institution of the papacy in violation of the law of God, our nation will disconnect herself fully from righteousness. When Protestantism shall stretch her hand across the gulf to grasp the hand of the Roman power, when she shall reach over the abyss to clasp hands with spiritualism, when, under the influence of this threefold union, our country shall repudiate every principle of its Constitution as a Protestant and republican government, and shall make provision for the propagation of papal falsehoods and delusions, then we may know that the time has come for the marvelous working of Satan and that the end is near. {5T 451.1}

Megaman,

I can honestly say that I never had anyone say that they would not let a Catholic through the front door. I'm sure that most SDA's would welcome a Catholic to their church. But, they do teach that the Catholic church is the harlot spoken of in Revelation, that they will be instrumental in introducing a Sunday Law and that Sabbath keepers will be persecuted.

Don't know if you are still reading this thread, but I felt (perhaps wrongly) that you may not have gotten a full understanding of the teachings of the official church.

Pray and study...

I would say "Papacy" in place of the "Catholic church". Saying Catholic church, for me, tends to refer to all the people. I would also point out that the Sunday law will be brought about by the protestants of our country, not the Papacy or Catholics.

I am not sure the brother felt much encouraged by this post. :)

I have several friends that are Catholic and would welcome any of them to my church with enthusiasm. After church they would be invited to break bread at my house. Catholics are not evil but IMO the Papacy is a corrupt institution and if followed will lead its followers to perdition. Nuff Sed

Thanks born again.

I think it's a matter of who you hang out with.

Woody,

No, it's not a matter of who I hang out with...it's a matter of what the SDA church teaches.

If the position of the Adventist church has changed regarding it's teachings on the RCC/Pope, then someone needs to send a memo to the GC and inform all of the employees, beginning with the President, on down.

I know that there are many differing opinions within the SDA church on most any position the SDA church takes, which is fine. But, the evangelists, the leaders from the GC, the traditional, historic SDA pastors, including Dwight Nelson at Andrews, still teach these things. I'm not even saying if the belief is right or wrong...this is up to each person to decide. I'm only saying, let's be real about what is taught in the church, and written by Ellen White.

I will re-iterate, the vast majority of SDA's do not hate Catholics, and would welcome them to their church, or homes, without question. I would say to Megaman, that his girlfriends family/church are in the minority among Seventh-day Adventists in their reaction to a Catholic.