ClubAdventist is back!

Toxic congregations

Gail

• Administrators

Dare I say this also exists in some Adventist churches?

Quote:
Silent Clergy Killers: 'Toxic' Congregations Lead to Widespread Job Loss

They are called "clergy killers" -- congregations where a small group of members are so disruptive that no pastor is able to maintain spiritual leadership for long.

And yet ministers often endure the stresses of these dysfunctional relationships for months, or even years, before eventually being forced out or giving up.

Adding to the strain is the process, which is often shrouded in secrecy. No one -- from denominational officials to church members to the clerics themselves -- wants to acknowledge the failure of a relationship designed to be a sign to the world of mutual love and support.

But new research is providing insights into just how widespread -- and damaging -- these forced terminations can be to clergy.

An online study published in the March issue of the Review of Religious Research found 28 percent of ministers said they had at one time been forced to leave their jobs due to personal attacks and criticism from a small faction of their congregations.

The researchers from Texas Tech University and Virginia Tech University also found that the clergy who had been forced out were more likely to report lower levels of self-esteem and higher levels of depression, stress and physical health problems.

And too few clergy are getting the help they need, said researcher Marcus Tanner of Texas Tech.

"Everybody knows this is happening, but nobody wants to talk about it," Tanner said in an interview. "The vast majority of denominations across the country are doing absolutely nothing."

A secret struggle

The issue of clergy job security will be front and center next month when delegates to the quadrennial General Conference of The United Methodist Church considers a proposal to end "guaranteed appointments" for elders in good standing. The church's Study of Ministry Commission says clergy job guarantees cost too much money and can focus more on the clergyperson's needs rather than the denomination's mission. On the other side, many clergy express fears that eliminating job security may lead to arbitrary dismissals. A major concern is that clergy will be judged based on their performance at "toxic" congregations, churches with so much internal conflict that it is difficult for any minister to have success.

The clergy have good reason to worry. A small percentage of congregations do seem to be responsible for a large share of congregational conflict.

Seven percent of congregations accounted for more than 35 percent of all the conflict reported in the National Congregations Study. And that conflict often had a high price.

In the 2006-2007 National Congregations Study, 9 percent of congregations reported a conflict in the last two years that led a clergyperson or other religious leader to leave the congregation.

It is difficult to get specific denominational figures, Tanner said. Many churches do not keep records indicating when a pastor was forced out as opposed to leaving voluntarily. And not only is it difficult to get clergy to open up about such painful experiences, many ministers are forced to sign a nondisclosure agreement to receive their severance package.

In their study, Tanner, Anisa Zvonkovic and Charlie Adams recruited respondents through Facebook groups relating to Christian clergy. Four-fifths of the 582 ministers participating -- 410 males and 172 females from 39 denominations -- ranged in age from 26 to 55.

The participants were asked whether they ever left a job "due to the constant negativity found in personal attacks and criticism from a small faction of the congregation."

Twenty eight percent of the respondents said they had been forced from a ministry job. Three-quarters had been forced out once, and 4 percent had been forcibly terminated three or more times, the study found.

Even one time, however, is more than enough.

A heavy toll

Ministers who were forced out of their jobs because of congregational conflict were more likely to experience burnout, depression, lower self-esteem and more physical health problems, the online study found.

In addition, more than four in 10 ministers forced out of their jobs reported seriously considering leaving the ministry.

A separate survey by Texas Tech and Virginia Tech researchers of 55 ministers who were forced out of a pastoral position found a significant link with self-reported measures of post-traumatic stress disorder and generalized anxiety disorder.

"This study shows that not only is forced termination an issue, but a cruel one that has very distressing effects on those who experience it," Tanner, Zvonkovic and Jeffrey Wherry reported in the current issue of the Journal of Religion and Health. "It is important that Christian organizations recognize the problem and implement steps to increase awareness and solutions."

Months of suffering traumatic and demeaning psychological and emotional abuse as they are slowly being forced out of their pulpits due to congregational conflict, Tanner said, "is a really, really horrible process."

What makes it even worse is the complicity of silence that prevents clergy from getting the help they need to go forward.

Isaiah 32:17 And the work of righteousness shall be peace; and the effect of righteousness quietness and assurance for ever.

Dare I say this also exists in some Adventist churches?

Months of suffering traumatic and demeaning psychological and emotional abuse as they are slowly being forced out of their pulpits due to congregational conflict, Tanner said, "is a really, really horrible process."

What makes it even worse is the complicity of silence that prevents clergy from getting the help they need to go forward.

I watched this kind of thing happen to a pastor that I had managed to become good friends with. He was a very nice man and a great pastor. When I was discouraged, he would be right there in my home, reading the Bible with me, not to me, and praying with me, not for me, and the biggest reason I could get out of anyone in that congregation as to why they were being so cruel to him and his family is that he was "too modern and liberal;" meaning that he should not do things like walk down to the congregation during the sermon the way he did, and other trite items like that.

I got a call one day from the head pastor in that area, saying that my pastor/friend "left something for me." At first I thought he died or something, but when I went and collected the several boxes of materials he left me; my heart was broken to find that he had left the ministry out of discouragement, and he wanted me to have all his books and in depth studies. Usually, when one gets a gift from someone; it is a happy occassion. But this was heart-rending.

The one benefit was that his books and articles still live in my heart today, and carry on with what he started. And one thing I have learned out of them, plus from his personal example is that Jer 3:15 is a promise that God does not forget. He is worthy!

"People [rarely] see...the bright light which is in the clouds..." (Job 37:21)

"I cannot know why suddenly the storm

should rage so fiercely round me in it's wrath

But this I know: God watches all my path

And I can trust"

"God helps us to draw strength from the storm" - Overaged

Faith makes things possible; it does not make them easy, Steps To Christ

• Administrators

Yes, sadly it does exist in our churches. I dare say that the statistics in our churches are likely very similar to what is reported in this article about other denominations.

One thing I have noted in my interaction professionally with legal counsel for other denominations is that we all have much in common when it comes to problems, conflicts and strife within the Church.

"Absurdity reigns and confusion makes it look good."

"Sinless perfection is such a shallow goal."

"I love God only as much as the person I love the least."

*Forgiveness is always good news. And that is the gospel truth.

(And finally, the ideas expressed above are solely my person views and not that of any organization with which I am associated.)

Yes, that is true, and it is important to recognize. peace

"People [rarely] see...the bright light which is in the clouds..." (Job 37:21)

"I cannot know why suddenly the storm

should rage so fiercely round me in it's wrath

But this I know: God watches all my path

And I can trust"

"God helps us to draw strength from the storm" - Overaged

Faith makes things possible; it does not make them easy, Steps To Christ

• Administrators

I have wondered if we have any exempt churches ... so sad, too bad. Oh the joy to be with the Saints in Heaven ....

If your dreams are not big enough to scare you, they are not big enough for God

• Moderators

I have also seen at least two or maybe more toxic pastors.

Job security is probably more a problem in congregational type of church structure. It's not so easy to remove ordained SDA pastors from my observation. They are just move around to other places.

I have also seen at least two or maybe more toxic pastors.

Job security is probably more a problem in congregational type of church structure. It's not so easy to remove ordained SDA pastors from my observation. They are just move around to other places.

This is also true. I've experienced several church killer pastors.Yet, I've seen godly pastors bring dead churches back to life.Something about some godly men that seems to effectively deal with troublesome groups of people.I also went to a pastor killer church. Once the trouble makers moved on the church was receptive to good leadership.

Sometimes - division is the answer:

Quote:
I wish the church in Battle Creek were divided up into as many as four or five sections. I wish that the missionary spirit would get hold of them, and they feel like going out of Battle Creek into new places where they could lift the standard of truth, wherever they could work for the salvation of souls, and not throw their dead weight upon the church here at Battle Creek. {2SAT 63.4}

May we be one so that the world may be won.
Christian from the cradle to the grave
I believe in Hematology.

It appears that sometimes an old fashioned rebuke is in order:

Quote:
"Brother ----- is joined to the church, but not to the Lord. He has a dyspeptic religion. He is not right with God; he is filled with self. He has lost much by uniting with individuals who have not the spirit of Christ. He is lacking in almost every grace. He is useless to himself, and a great stumbling block to the church. Dear brother, Satan has controlled you to a great extent; your thoughts are unsanctified, your actions are not in accordance with the spirit of a true Christian. You have brought on your own disease; you must be your own restorer through the help of the divine Physician. Your moral powers are weak for want of nourishment. You are starving spiritually for Bible truth--the bread of life. You need to draw daily nourishment from the living Vine. The church receives no strength from you and in your present condition would be better off without you, for now, if anything arises to cross your track and you cannot control matters, you settle back with stubbornness, a dead weight on the church. You bear no burden or weight of the cause." 5T 117

I believe in Hematology.

• Administrators

GAIL

thank you for posting this article--it was interesting---

sad---and disturbing

Over the years my heart has been broken by the stories I've heard of denominational workers who have struggled. Where can they go for help when they have moral issues or, like in this discussion, burnout?

I am also disheartened when people speak out against pastors. It just seems that their lot is one of isolation and continual bearing of a cross.

Why is there so much cruelty within our ranks?

I have a feeling that those who in active soul-winning work know of the burdens that pastors have and may be kindlier-spirited towards them. But I don't know.

Isaiah 32:17 And the work of righteousness shall be peace; and the effect of righteousness quietness and assurance for ever.

Quote:
Why is there so much cruelty within our ranks?

A sobering but necessary question.

I believe in Hematology.

• Moderators

Knowing what kind of criticism is often aimed at pastors may be one of several reasons so few choose to go into the ministry.

LD

LD

Knowing what kind of criticism is often aimed at pastors may be one of several reasons so few choose to go into the ministry.

LD

IN the minds of many - the pastor and spouse are never good enough. They are usually under a microscope. So, how many would want to get into that situation for you and your spouse and family?

I believe in Hematology.

• Members

IN the minds of many - the pastor and spouse are never good enough. They are usually under a microscope. So, how many would want to get into that situation for you and your spouse and family?

I have to agree Woody. I think that our pastors are under and there wife's are definitely under a lot of pressure! To baptize, to do more than I think that there jobs really entail. At my Mom's church they actually got one of the pastors removed because he got divorced, so they thought that a unwed pastor couldn't lead a church! I guess they never check the Bible to see what Paul had to say on that subject!

phkrause

By the decree enforcing the institution of the papacy in violation of the law of God, our nation will disconnect herself fully from righteousness. When Protestantism shall stretch her hand across the gulf to grasp the hand of the Roman power, when she shall reach over the abyss to clasp hands with spiritualism, when, under the influence of this threefold union, our country shall repudiate every principle of its Constitution as a Protestant and republican government, and shall make provision for the propagation of papal falsehoods and delusions, then we may know that the time has come for the marvelous working of Satan and that the end is near. {5T 451.1}

Originally Posted By: Woody

I have to agree Woody. I think that our pastors are under and there wife's are definitely under a lot of pressure! To baptize, to do more than I think that there jobs really entail. At my Mom's church they actually got one of the pastors removed because he got divorced, so they thought that a unwed pastor couldn't lead a church! I guess they never check the Bible to see what Paul had to say on that subject!

Depends upon whether the pastor had Biblical grounds for the divorce in my mind. Of course in practice nowadays - people just divorce willy-nilly.

I believe in Hematology.

• Members

If I'm not mistaken I believe he did have grounds for the divorce, but I can't say for sure. But if you ask me I think a single pastor can do the job.

phkrause

By the decree enforcing the institution of the papacy in violation of the law of God, our nation will disconnect herself fully from righteousness. When Protestantism shall stretch her hand across the gulf to grasp the hand of the Roman power, when she shall reach over the abyss to clasp hands with spiritualism, when, under the influence of this threefold union, our country shall repudiate every principle of its Constitution as a Protestant and republican government, and shall make provision for the propagation of papal falsehoods and delusions, then we may know that the time has come for the marvelous working of Satan and that the end is near. {5T 451.1}

• Administrators

A single pastor might be good for a church. The members would be so busy trying to hook him up with someone that there would be no time left to squabble.

Something has to keep them busy!

• Members

LOL Gail, that's why in the Jewish religion we have a matchmaker. LOL

phkrause

It's Self that creates most, if not all, of the problems of the world, making harmony a rare thing. Once we wash up in the River of Life, Self will die, forever. Only then will everyone get along, finally.

The Parable of the Lamb and the Pigpen https://www.createspace.com/3401451

• Moderators

IMHO, conflict and the toxic relationships that come as a result is probably the single most damaging challenge that faces our church. We spend a lot of time on music, dress and the latest conspiracy issue but the inability to communicate effectively, forgive, and humbly work together is the thing that most hinders the work.

In our churches we've wasted a lot of years on tangential issues that scripture itself does not spend much time on. We are still doing it.

Churches will split over music but those two new churches won't hit double figures in baptisms in the 5 next years after the split becasue the spirit of bitterness and division runs deep.

The good news is that God is still doing his work with the people who get it!

Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocrities. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence.

Einstein

• Administrators

Lazarus, I hear ya!

• Members

IMHO, conflict and the toxic relationships that come as a result is probably the single most damaging challenge that faces our church. We spend a lot of time on music, dress and the latest conspiracy issue but the inability to communicate effectively, forgive, and humbly work together is the thing that most hinders the work.

In our churches we've wasted a lot of years on tangential issues that scripture itself does not spend much time on. We are still doing it.

Churches will split over music but those two new churches won't hit double figures in baptisms in the 5 next years after the split becasue the spirit of bitterness and division runs deep.

The good news is that God is still doing his work with the people who get it!

:like:

phkrause

It's unfortunate that the few who have "issues" with the pastor are frequently the same folks who contribute the most money to the church. I have seen cases where alot of people who only have the means to donate the "widow's mite" have issue with the pastor; and they are basically ignored. However, when just a very few of the big contributors organize against a pastor and threaten the local conference with witholding their tithes and offerings until the pastor is gone, it's been amazing how quickly the pastor hears the "call of God" to go elsewhere - frequently to a smaller church (or to another denomination/career). It's really sad when a denomination (not just SDA's) is more concerned about their relationship to the almighty dollar than to the Almighty God.

• Moderators

As a youth pastor I was once threatened by an ex-VP of Bank of America who happened to be an elder and huge contributor to the church. He had considerable influence in the Church, Conference and Union simply because he could write those fat checks. Hard realities of church life.

Good to see you posting....er....JoeMo. That avatar seems strangely familiar.

Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocrities. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence.

Einstein