ClubAdventist is back!

Toxic congregations

Gail

• Members

Been thinking the same thing Lazarus, it reminds me of Neil!

phkrause

By the decree enforcing the institution of the papacy in violation of the law of God, our nation will disconnect herself fully from righteousness. When Protestantism shall stretch her hand across the gulf to grasp the hand of the Roman power, when she shall reach over the abyss to clasp hands with spiritualism, when, under the influence of this threefold union, our country shall repudiate every principle of its Constitution as a Protestant and republican government, and shall make provision for the propagation of papal falsehoods and delusions, then we may know that the time has come for the marvelous working of Satan and that the end is near. {5T 451.1}

It's unfortunate that the few who have "issues" with the pastor are frequently the same folks who contribute the most money to the church. I have seen cases where alot of people who only have the means to donate the "widow's mite" have issue with the pastor; and they are basically ignored. However, when just a very few of the big contributors organize against a pastor and threaten the local conference with witholding their tithes and offerings until the pastor is gone, it's been amazing how quickly the pastor hears the "call of God" to go elsewhere - frequently to a smaller church (or to another denomination/career). It's really sad when a denomination (not just SDA's) is more concerned about their relationship to the almighty dollar than to the Almighty God.

Sadly - I've been in a congregation where this very thing happened. Very Sad. Broke my heart. I'm still broken over it.

May we be one so that the world may be won.
Christian from the cradle to the grave
I believe in Hematology.

Been thinking the same thing Lazarus, it reminds me of Neil!

Yeah. It seems Neil is everywhere. He's in Florida. He's in Denver. He's in Oregon. Where is Carmon San Diego? It seems we can't escape him.

May we be one so that the world may be won.
Christian from the cradle to the grave
I believe in Hematology.

It's unfortunate that the few who have "issues" with the pastor are frequently the same folks who contribute the most money to the church.

As a youth pastor I was once threatened by an ex-VP of Bank of America who happened to be an elder and huge contributor to the church.

Was he bigger than you?

Sounds like mayhaps, this thread is getting "toxic"

post-4001-140967453916_thumb.gif

"People [rarely] see...the bright light which is in the clouds..." (Job 37:21)

"I cannot know why suddenly the storm

should rage so fiercely round me in it's wrath

But this I know: God watches all my path

And I can trust"

"God helps us to draw strength from the storm" - Overaged

Faith makes things possible; it does not make them easy, Steps To Christ

• Moderators

Quote:
Was he bigger than you?

Only his checkbook was.

Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocrities. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence.

Einstein

• Moderators

Sounds like mayhaps, this thread is getting "toxic"

Mayhaps?

Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocrities. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence.

Einstein

• Moderators

Quote:
Actually, I just heard from a church treasurer a couple of weeks ago that he sees that it is usually the people that contribute the least(or nothing)to the church that are it's most adamant critics.

That's often true. Sometimes the big givers don't criticize because things are going the way they like it. If things go a different way they have a hotline to the pastor. The big givers don't have to make much noise. Money talks. There are those who still give whatever happens. They seem to be dying breed.

Einstein

Quote:
Actually, I just heard from a church treasurer a couple of weeks ago that he sees that it is usually the people that contribute the least(or nothing)to the church that are it's most adamant critics.

That's often true. Sometimes the big givers don't criticize because things are going the way they like it. If things go a different way they have a hotline to the pastor. The big givers don't have to make much noise. Money talks. There are those who still give whatever happens. They seem to be dying breed.

My last experience with a toxic pastor revealed a heavily giving member made absolutely no difference. He never threatened to stop giving but he made his displeasure known to the pastor. He was a humble man who never let anyone know how much he was giving. Probably picked up 25% of the church's needs.The ex-treasurers revealed this after his departure.I'm sure that the (unconverted) rich of this world are still using their $$ to control where ever they can, but not everyone is so self-unaware.