ClubAdventist is back!

A long bicycle ride for freedom

Ron Amnsn

My son, Levi, is currently riding his bicycle across North America and back to raise awareness of the lack of human rights and religious liberty in North Korea.

It is currently estimated that 150,000 or more Koreans are held in gulags or prison work camps like those operated by the Nazis during World War II. Many of those held in the prison camps are Christians who are imprisoned for their faith.

When the North Korean prisoners are able to escape to China, the Chinese government returns the refugees to North Korea where they are often tortured and killed. There are a few small organizations operating in China who search for the North Korean refugees in China and help them make their way across China to southeast Asia on an "underground railway". It costs about $2500 to rescue one refugee and help them get established in a free country.

Levi would like to raise enough money to rescue ten North Korean refugees. More information is available on Levi's fundraising page at http://freedomisalongroad.stayclassy.org/

After riding south from central BC, Levi started his journey across the US April 26 at Birch Bay in NW Washington. He is now in central Nebraska, half-way across the US. He will finish this leg of his trip at the Atlantic Ocean near Boston, then ride north into Quebec on his way back across Canada to BC.

Daily updates on his progress are available at https://twitter.com/#!/LAmmundsen (no account required).

Although Levi is not an SDA, he is a Sabbath-keeping follower of Jesus.

• Members
cool1

phkrause

By the decree enforcing the institution of the papacy in violation of the law of God, our nation will disconnect herself fully from righteousness. When Protestantism shall stretch her hand across the gulf to grasp the hand of the Roman power, when she shall reach over the abyss to clasp hands with spiritualism, when, under the influence of this threefold union, our country shall repudiate every principle of its Constitution as a Protestant and republican government, and shall make provision for the propagation of papal falsehoods and delusions, then we may know that the time has come for the marvelous working of Satan and that the end is near. {5T 451.1}

Levi crossed the Mississippi River yesterday and is resting in Sheffield, Illinois today. He has covered around 2900 miles by bicycle since he left home April 15.

• Members

Awesome

phkrause

By the decree enforcing the institution of the papacy in violation of the law of God, our nation will disconnect herself fully from righteousness. When Protestantism shall stretch her hand across the gulf to grasp the hand of the Roman power, when she shall reach over the abyss to clasp hands with spiritualism, when, under the influence of this threefold union, our country shall repudiate every principle of its Constitution as a Protestant and republican government, and shall make provision for the propagation of papal falsehoods and delusions, then we may know that the time has come for the marvelous working of Satan and that the end is near. {5T 451.1}

This is wonderful. I am so intrigued! Wonder how they find these refugees in the masses of China? All kinds of questions arise in my mind, but mostly there's the thrill of seeing something like the underground railroad in our American history, working to bring freedom.

more later

• 2 weeks later...

Today Levi rode into Boston, completing the cross-country portion of his ride across the USA. With 4000 miles behind him, he plans to leave Boston on Monday starting the 3000-mile ride north through Montreal and back to British Columbia.

Although he is successfully raising awareness of the situation for North Korean Christians, his fundraising for the escaping North Korean refugees is lagging.

A few days ago the USA celebrated its freedom. North Korean Christians don't enjoy any personal or religious freedom. Because all religious activity is prohibited in North Korea, the SDA church currently has no work there.

• Members

Well if I had still been living in Mass, I could've invited him to my house. Is he with a group that he has a place to crash or is he on his own? I have a question, if you don't want to answer no big deal. I see your son's name is Levi, are you Jewish or you just named him after a person in the Bible? Not many people I known outside of Judaism, other than one or two other groups, use that name. Just curious Ron, so no need to answer.

phkrause

Levi is being generously hosted in Boston by my cousin and his wife. Sounds like he's having a good rest.

I have no Jewish ancestry that I know of, and at the time we named Levi we had no interest in Judaism. We just picked the name from the Bible. For me it had more of a connection to the brand of jeans than to Judaism. Since then the name Levi has become more popular among the general public.

• Members

Levi is being generously hosted in Boston by my cousin and his wife. Sounds like he's having a good rest.

I have no Jewish ancestry that I know of, and at the time we named Levi we had no interest in Judaism. We just picked the name from the Bible. For me it had more of a connection to the brand of jeans than to Judaism. Since then the name Levi has become more popular among the general public.

cool1 its a great name either way. :)

And I'm glad he's got family to visit than.

phkrause

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you for your help!

LiNK has now rescued 101 North Koreans and settled them in free countries.

Levi has reached 5% of his goal to raise enough to rescue ten North Koreans. He's covered two-thirds of the 7000 miles he plans to travel on his bicycle.

Today Levi went through Sudbury, Ontario. Mosquitoes and thunderstorms are the big challenges as he heads toward the north shore of Lake Superior.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you for your prayers. On Monday Levi was not injured when he was rear-ended by a SUV with brake failure. Levi was riding almost the same speed as the SUV when it hit him so there was no damage and he didn't fall, but it was a reminder of the risks of being on the road.

Today Levi is resting in Thunder Bay, Ontario. Next week he heads to a small town north of Winnipeg, Manitoba.

• Members

Ron, glad to hear he's OK.

phkrause

• 1 month later...
  • Moderators

To be rear-ended by an SUV, even going the same speed, is no small incident!! He's been protected by his guardian angel!

He's doing a great work for a good cause. This should get wider publicity -- is any large newspaper writing about it??

Jeannie<br /><br /><br />...Change is inevitable; growth is optional....

• 4 weeks later...

Levi arrived home on Sunday afternoon after a successful bicycle ride across the US and the return trip through Canada.

Thank you for your support and prayers.

Please remember the North Koreans who are trying to escape persecution by fleeing through China.

• Members

Praise the Lord Ron, very glad to hear that he made it.

phkrause

• Administrators

Great news...so happy he made it safely...an answer to many prayers. Yes, will remember in prayer the North Koreans fleeing through China

If your dreams are not big enough to scare you, they are not big enough for God