ClubAdventist is back!

If They are Bad Its OK to....

teresaq

If we decide someone is bad, wrong, is it ok to disrespect, humiliate, treat badly, another human being?

facebook. /teresa.quintero.790

I was very confused growing up in the '50's, 60's Adventism. I was being taught two opposite ways of thinking and had no idea how to reconcile the two. On the one hand I was taught the Papacy was wrong for the atrocities it had committed over the centuries. Religious Liberty and all that. On the other hand I saw/heard disrespect and contempt for Catholics and Communists. Why was the Papacy wrong, but not Adventists?

facebook. /teresa.quintero.790

No its not. You should defend yourself, you should not lay down and be a door mat for people like that - however there is no reason that you can't maintain your own personal dignity and self respect.

• Members

..it would be interesting to look at this forum, other forums, blogs, Facebook, publications, politics, and the conversation of church members, to see what kind of answer can be gleaned regarding your question...

Pam     coffeecomputer.GIF   

Meddle Not In the Affairs of Dragons; for You Are Crunchy and Taste Good with Ketchup.

If we all sang the same note in the choir, there'd never be any harmony.

Funny, isn't it, how we accept Grace for ourselves and demand justice for others?

• 3 weeks later...

if someone posts stuff here that they think is correct, say "bigfoot is alive"...and posts thier evidence and reasons that they believe is correct, but....we believe there is no "bigfoot" at all.....

...the question is "How do we handle this information?"

If someone posts things from thier religion that are popular myths, say like an Adventist saying [insert popular Adventist myth] that "Catholics are wrong for supporting/revering the Pope"....are we to agree, correct or outright disagree with this popular myth?

What if our personal experience has grown to the point that we no longer support language that many Christians enthusiastically support, ie gays are going to hell....? How can we disagree with this statement as this is a sort of "gay bashing"? Is there a way to correct this perception without blaming and offending the 'weaker' Christian?

Democracy is a device that ensures we shall be governed no better than we deserve.

George Bernard Shaw

I've been trying to correct the weaker Christians here - but so far will little results.

May we be one so that the world may be won.
Christian from the cradle to the grave
I believe in Hematology.

• Administrators

IMO it is not our place to correct (which I think is akin to judgment). One doesn't have to condone a lifestyle to love and accept the person. Setting a good example, showing agape love for our brothers and sisters and praying for the parties involved is more effective than words. Asking the Holy Spirit for wisdom to use the right words is, here again IMHO, more effective than telling them how wrong their thinking and/or lifestyle is or where it will lead them. Just sayin....

If your dreams are not big enough to scare you, they are not big enough for God

• 4 months later...
  • Administrators

I don't believe there is any redeeming value in responding to people who we disagree with in any oppressive, rude, angry, judgmental, unloving way.

I am growing myself and discover new ways all the time, to do better, and be attuned to a higher understanding of what i see as good and right. It will not help me to grow in any way to be subjected to put downs, rejection, anger or hatred, in any form, by those who believe they can see my errors, weaknesses or faults. How could it help anyone else.

I do not see how this could ever be helpful to anyone.

I think it is a myth that we as Christians have a right to hate someone because they are different in their lifestyle or beliefs then we are. I can disagree with someone and not stop loving someone. I can violently disagree and i am not required to disregard another person's inherent value.

i was never taught by my family or church to justify hatred or anger towards those who think or believe differently then I.

deb

deb

Love awakens love.

Let God be true and every man a liar.

• Administrators

i think this issue of believing the pope should be condemned,is being unable to separate the individual from their behavior or beliefs. God loves each person equally, but does not love their beliefs and behaviors equally.

i think it pertains to maturing, being able to accept a person even if their words, or behavior is painful and even harmful.

I could be repulsed by someone because of their condition or character, but still express courtesy and due regard towards them for Jesus sake.

we who are the world, are loved and blessed so we can love and bless the other people in the world, not so we can love and bless the sin. It is not natural to the heart to do this. It is the result of receiving love when we are undeserving, that we can then give love to an undeserving world.

If we feel we are deserving of God's blessings, then we are self righteous. We are worthy only because of the amazing merciful nature of God.

I can see the world despising those who recognize they are special and worthy because of the value God has placed on them. I can see people resisting the reality that everyone is so greatly valued.

human nature is human nature in the church or out of the church, it always remains pretty much the same. But God is working to place the attributes of his character into the church. this doesn't mean the church magically will always represent the Character of Jesus.

debjm

deb

Love awakens love.

Let God be true and every man a liar.

• 5 months later...

If we hope that they will consider changing their lives so that they are more in turn with what we think is correct, then treating them with disrespect, etc., will be counterproductive.

• Members

Definitely not. And by the way, good to see you back posting.

phkrause

By the decree enforcing the institution of the papacy in violation of the law of God, our nation will disconnect herself fully from righteousness. When Protestantism shall stretch her hand across the gulf to grasp the hand of the Roman power, when she shall reach over the abyss to clasp hands with spiritualism, when, under the influence of this threefold union, our country shall repudiate every principle of its Constitution as a Protestant and republican government, and shall make provision for the propagation of papal falsehoods and delusions, then we may know that the time has come for the marvelous working of Satan and that the end is near. {5T 451.1}