ClubAdventist is back!

Major Contributions of Adventism to Christianity/Protestantism

GiveHimGlory

I was thinking how Adventism has influenced Christianity, or at least evangelical Protestantism.

I would suggest three important influences, but would be interested what others think or if there are any books or studies about this area.

1. Literal Second Coming - While Adventists don't follow the dominant Rapture doctrine, prior to 1844 most Christians/Protestants believed that the reign of God would follow a thousand year earthly rule of the church, there was no concept of a literal appearing of God in the near future. I would suggest Adventists have played an important role in promoting the idea of a literal soon appearing of Christ which many Christians accept today.

2. Literal Creation - at the start of the Twentieth Century many Christians accepted some form of evolution, today a significant number of Christians believe in a literal six-day creation. Again, it seems to the Adventism that has had a large influence on Christianity as a whole in this area.

3. Death of the wicked - many Christians today don't accept eternal conscious punishment of the wicked, but follow the Adventist teaching of destruction as punishment for sin.