ClubAdventist is back!

What can we learn from other faiths/denominations?

GiveHimGlory

I remember Samuele Bacchiocchi arguing that Adventists could learn a lot about keeping/celebrating the Sabbath from Judaism - for example celebrating with special meals and foods, and also celebrating other Old Testament festivals.

I wondered what else people think Adventists could learn from Judaism, or Messianic Judaism or indeed any other beliefs and practises.

Regarding Messianic Judaism does anyone read James Trimm and what do they think of him?

http://nazarenespace.com/profiles/blog/list

• Members

I agree we could learn much from our roots, which Judaism is.

phkrause

By the decree enforcing the institution of the papacy in violation of the law of God, our nation will disconnect herself fully from righteousness. When Protestantism shall stretch her hand across the gulf to grasp the hand of the Roman power, when she shall reach over the abyss to clasp hands with spiritualism, when, under the influence of this threefold union, our country shall repudiate every principle of its Constitution as a Protestant and republican government, and shall make provision for the propagation of papal falsehoods and delusions, then we may know that the time has come for the marvelous working of Satan and that the end is near. {5T 451.1}

I would venture you could learn a lot from faiths that may not even worship the same God. By that token, I think every relion could learn from other religions. I have learned a great lot form you guys, Buddhists, and other religions that fall under the pagan umbrella. If we approach each others faiths with the attitude of broadening our horizons, of finding common threads and new knowledge rather that an " I am going to prove you wrong" kind of approach, we can all be spiritually richer for it.

I agree MT,

For example, our little church meets on Saturdays at the campus of a massive Sunday-keeping church. They set up and tear down for us, let us use their main sanctuary and foyer for large outreach events, provide refreshments for our use, provide musicians when needed, etc. They charge us $0.00! Their pastor encourages his people to come visit us; and has even preached about us on occasion. Some of his people have even joined our church with his blessing; and vice versa. They have taught us much about practical Christian living and charity.

In a more universal sense, I think Christians could learn alot from the cultures of some non-Christian faiths. For example, yoga actually came from a non-Christian religion; and is practiced in several Christian churches as a form of fitness (a very effective one at that). Meditation (aka "soaking in the Spirit") is practiced in some charismatic churches; although is a focused meditation rather than an "emptying of the mind" like TM.

I think where we could learn the most is from "walking the talk". The biggest gripe most non-Christian religions have against Christians is that, for the most part, the cannot be distinguished from the rest of the world. The incidence of divorce, drug/alcohol use, decadence, and criminal activity is no different from that of non-believers. Most pagans and Muslims at least practice what they preach. We as Christians would be much more credible as a group if we did the same.

Many years ago we had a representative from Quaker visit and also a Bishop from the Greek Orthodox church. With out going into all the details, what most impressed me was their incorporation of their beliefs into everything in life. The standout part was about others, helping others, treating others the same as their self, etc, etc. Totally about others, and not very pushy with their beliefs.

• 4 weeks later...

I agree in principle. But, I believe we do learn a lot from the sanctuary service and feast days and even the mistakes they've made. At least I hope we do.

We need to clarify what "learn a lot" means. If I can learn a lot that fits with Biblical precepts, then that is great. And I agree that sometimes we learn things from those who get it wrong.

But, as time goes on, I am far more apt to teach then be taught when with those of other faiths.

Luke 12:32 NKJV

I believe that SDA's - as a relatively conservative denomination - can learn a lot from charismatic Christians. SDA's know their Bible as well as anyone; but they tend to relegate prophesy to the past or future; and are very wary of miracles and divine manifestation. Many charismatics are just the opposite - they are not so well versed in the Bible; but they embrace the supernatural; and claim prophecy - especially where Jesus says we will do greater works than He - for now.

I have posted elsewhere about how a group of charismatics came to our church, asking us to teach them more about the Bible. They, in turn offered to teach us more about operating in the Spirit. Both groups have an enhanced Christian experience as a result.

We also have a couple of folks who have left a pagan religion (wicca) , and are now coming to our church on an irregular basis. I don't know how "into" witchcraft they were (I have been told that a lot of wiccans just play around the edges of witchcraft, not realizing the dangers therein), and they haven't proclaimed Jesus as Lord yet; so we'll see. They do contribute some interesting insight is Sabbath School every once and a while.

• 3 months later...
  • Administrators

something i think is very lost in secular Christianity today is reverence.

we can be so interested in being with God, that instead of being lifted up to God we bring God down to the mundane. This is a loss.

we lose the sacredness of every moment of the Sabbath, the Judaic Sabbath keepers can give us this.

we lose the sacredness of the house of worship, Catholicism can give this to us.

we can get caught up in celebrating salvation to the point we lose interest in Holy living, we can find this with the Baptist.

we can be so caught up in meticulously obeying the law to where we no longer witness to the mercy of God to save us by the suffering and sacrifice of Jesus. We can be helped in this by The Salvation Army.

we can be so insensitive and out of touch with the struggles of those around us, Buddhism can remind us of this.

we can be so busy we neglect to pray, Islam can remind us to keep our prayer life constant.

we can be so caught up in being theologically correct children can remind us, critical thinking is not life or death, it is not everything.

we can be so self sufficient and healthy busy that pains in the bones can teach us and remind us there is a lot of need and struggle and suffering around us.

deb

Love awakens love.

Let God be true and every man a liar.

Hey debjm,

Didn't God set the precedent for coming down to our level? Didn't Jesus shroud His divinity in human skin to be "God with us"? I think Jesus will be "human" for eternity. God has already come down to our level (or the "mundane"). Jesus didn't say "The Kingdom of God is way up there above you"; He said the Kingdom of God is among you". I think God wants to meet us where we are; and then take us to our destiny. Reverence has it's place; but there are times when reverence impedes intimate relationship. If we are to be the bride of Christ, we need to consider unabashed intimacy as well as respect and honor. It doesn't have to look like silence and downward-cast eyes.

• Administrators

God meets us where we are to then lift us up. Prayer lifts us up into God's presence, it is in His presence there is fullness of Joy.

he left heaven, became human, then descended to severe human mistreatment and then down to our death, to the depths of separation from God. there is no place too far from God that he cannot go to be with us where we are at.

But i trust he did not travel all that way to meet us where we are to then not lift us up. He came to save us from sin, to make us alive in him through the power of the resurrection, not to leave us in our spiritual death.

debjm

deb

Love awakens love.

• Administrators

God meets us where we are to then lift us up. Prayer lifts us up into God's presence, it is in His presence there is fullness of Joy.

he left heaven, became human, then descended to severe human mistreatment and then down to our death, to the depths of separation from God. there is no place too far from God that he cannot go to be with us where we are at.

he doesn't leave or forsake us, and he works to lift us. In being reverent we make a difference between the common and the divine. we do not pray for the purpose of bringing God down to where we are, but to be transported by faith to his dwelling place, where by love he rules over all.

debjm

deb

Love awakens love.

• Administrators

JoeMo,

Thank-you kindly for your positive responses,

i am just a work in progress, and "If there be any praise, let it go to Calvary"

If there is any blessing it is His working for His Glory. God is worthy at all times of all praise, all love, and all obedience.

deb

deb

Love awakens love.

One thing good about Mormonism is how they are all "forced" to be missionaries for a period of time.

One good thing about Islam is they are praising their god all the time - though sadly even when committing atrocious acts.

Remember Adventists Online?

Being forced to be a missionary is "good"...how, exactly?

And you can be sure that the target audience can tell straight away when the missionary who is proselytising them is being forced to do so. It doesn't make for huge numbers of enthusiastic conversions.

If my church "forced" me to do missionary activity, I would be out of there so quickly they would have no idea what hit them.

AJ

www.asrc.org.au

(Asylum Seeker Resource Centre, Melbourne)

Helping over 2000 refugees & asylum seekers each month

IMSLP/Petrucci Music Library

The Public Domain Music Score Library - Free Sheet Music Downloads

Looking for classical sheet music? Try IMSLP first!

Maybe being forced to do missionary work is like unto being forced to eat one's vegetables. No one wants to do it (at first), but once it's done, many people will see the benefit of doing so.

• Administrators

Hopefully they will catch that Jesus is with us and in us. And we are looking for Jesus to come, and praying and living for others to join us in living for His glory.

deb

Love awakens love.