ClubAdventist is back!

What Has Changed Or Where Is This Wrong,The Ten Cannots

bonnie

They're *not* for personal behaviour! How does an individual...

"weaken[] the strong

tear[] down big men

pull[] down the wage payer

destroy[] men's initiative and independence"

These are clearly aimed at (Republicans' caricature of) government.

In terms of personal thrift, debt and responsibility, we have no issues, and are probably in agreement.

It was actually written in 1916.

Everything you do is based on the choices you make. It's not your parents, your past relationships, your job, the economy, the weather, an argument, or your age that is to blame. You and only you are responsible for every decision and choice you make, period ... ... Wish more people would realize this.

Quotes by Susan Gottesman

"weaken[] the strong

tear[] down big men

You cannot strengthen the weak by weakening the strong.

Can I expect to become stronger by weakening someone else.

If you are talking about me taking what is not rightfully mine to take I suppose temporarily I could become stronger but for how long and at what cost to me?

This is not talking about giving temporary assistance to someone in need

You cannot help little men by tearing down big men

Can a little man be helped by demonizing those bigger or in a better position than the little man?

You cannot lift the wage earner by pulling down the wage payer.

When I destroy the ability of the payer to remain competitive

and demand his sacrifice/hardwork and risk who is going to be the payer?

destroy[] men's initiative and independence" If I give enough that another doesn't have to work and sacrifice what is his initiative to do better and why should he feel the need to be independent.There are parents that do that to their children all the time.

In MN we are cautioned about feeding the birds.Not that you shouldn't but if you do it must be consistent in the wintertime.A source of food and water takes away even the natural initiative of the birds once they have become dependent on a food source

Everything you do is based on the choices you make. It's not your parents, your past relationships, your job, the economy, the weather, an argument, or your age that is to blame. You and only you are responsible for every decision and choice you make, period ... ... Wish more people would realize this.

Here's something written in 1961, on a similar theme: http://www.tnellen.com/cybereng/harrison.html

Not interested

"weaken[] the strong

tear[] down big men

These are clearly aimed at (Republicans' caricature of) government.

In terms of personal thrift, debt and responsibility, we have no issues, and are probably in agreement.

It is not about democrats or republicans,or getting as much money as you can and telling those in need to go fly a kite

When I expect or demand as my right others support me and my family I have certain responsibilities or I think I do.

Are those responsibilities and obligations carried out by me wanting to tear down the strong?

You are trying very hard to make it something it is not.If this had been about republicans it would have been in the political forum

• Moderators

Pity you're not interested, since it exactly agrees with the point you seem to be trying to make.

Truth is important

Pity you're not interested, since it exactly agrees with the point you seem to be trying to make.

This whole topic has turned into such misguided confusion that it makes it easy to choose Jesus' method of growth.

" Then Jesus called a little child to Him, set him in the midst of them, and said, “Assuredly, I say to you, unless you are converted and become as little children, you will by no means enter the kingdom of heaven. Therefore whoever humbles himself as this little child is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven. "Matthew 18:2-4 NKJV

God blesses! peace

Lift Jesus up!!

I can find many articles that do and some that don't.What is the problem with addressing just the ones here?

Originally Posted By: Bravus

This whole topic has turned into such misguided confusion that it makes it easy to choose Jesus' method of growth.

" Then Jesus called a little child to Him, set him in the midst of them, and said, “Assuredly, I say to you, unless you are converted and become as little children, you will by no means enter the kingdom of heaven. Therefore whoever humbles himself as this little child is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven. "Matthew 18:2-4 NKJV

God blesses! peace

I know it is pointless.It was not intended as something about making tons of money and keeping it for yourself while others went hungry around you

This is a whole different topic....

It’s a very simple question: what does Jesus, according to the Bible, say about money and wealth?

I’ll use the King James Version because I enjoy the language, and will try to be as comprehensive as I can – very happy to be pointed to any references in the Gospels that I’ve missed. I’ve also used only one version of a story if it appears across multiple Gospels.

Matthew 19:

21 Jesus said unto him, If thou wilt be perfect, go and sell that thou hast, and give to the poor, and thou shalt have treasure in heaven: and come and follow me.

22 But when the young man heard that saying, he went away sorrowful: for he had great possessions.

23 Then said Jesus unto his disciples, Verily I say unto you, That a rich man shall hardly enter into the kingdom of heaven.

24 And again I say unto you, It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle, than for a rich man to enter into the kingdom of God.

Ecc 5:19 Every man also to whom God hath given riches and wealth, and hath given him power to eat thereof, and to take his portion, and to rejoice in his labour; this is the gift of God.

Deut 8:18 But thou shalt remember the LORD thy God: for it is he that giveth thee power to get wealth, that he may establish his covenant which he sware unto thy fathers, as it is this day.

Ecc 5:19 Every man also to whom God hath given riches and wealth, and hath given him power to eat thereof, and to take his portion, and to rejoice in his labour; this is the gift of God.

Deut 8:18 But thou shalt remember the LORD thy God: for it is he that giveth thee power to get wealth, that he may establish his covenant which he sware unto thy fathers, as it is this day.

That is all very true but how is the following wrong? Not for or against giving,earning,or even hoarding if that be the case

You cannot bring about prosperity by discouraging thrift.

You cannot strengthen the weak by weakening the strong.Can You?

You cannot help little men by tearing down big men.Can You?

You cannot lift the wage earner by pulling down the wage payer.Can You?

You cannot help the poor by destroying the rich.Can You?

Originally Posted By: RLH

That is all very true but how is the following wrong? Not for or against giving,earning,or even hoarding if that be the case

It's not wrong at all. I agree with it whole heartedly. :)

bonnie,

Wise words from Mr. Boetcker!!! Thanks for posting this. I'll be passing this along to my friends...

There is a lot to relearn I think.

Quote:
#582368 - Yesterday at 21:30

It seems important to remember not every person has the same weakness that particular young man had. The illustration was for an individual who felt his worldly riches were more to be desired than the heavenly reward.

God blesses! peace

Lift Jesus up!!

Quote:

It seems important to remember not every person has the same weakness that particular young man had. The illustration was for an individual who felt his worldly riches were more to be desired than the heavenly reward.

God blesses! peace

This is not about that young man,worldly riches,or putting possessions above God

Quote:
Bonnie-

Asking each to share what they have is not to weaken but to cause to thrive.

"Give, and it shall be given unto you; good measure, pressed down, and shaken together, and running over, shall men give into your bosom. For with the same measure that ye mete withal it shall be measured to you again."

Luke 6:38 KJV

God blesses! peace

Lift Jesus up!!

Quote:

Then what was the reason for that Biblical illustration?

God blesses! peace

Lift Jesus up!!

Asking each to share what they have is not to weaken but to cause to thrive.

God blesses! peace

That is not asking the best way or the right way to share wealth.

It is asking plain and simple,wealth aside,Can I,You, or anyone

become stronger by weakening the strong.

Not as in taking over a country

But carry on in the direction you wish.

• Moderators

Again, who is *seeking* to weaken the strong? I am not saying the 'cannots' are untrue, I'm saying they are irrelevant.

Truth is important

Again, who is *seeking* to weaken the strong? I am not saying the 'cannots' are untrue, I'm saying they are irrelevant.

They may be to you,that does not make it so.It is a general statement/question. Some seem to understand that.

Quote:

How about David and Goliath?

God blesses! peace

Lift Jesus up!!

Quote:

How about David and Goliath?

God blesses! peace

I have a neighbor stronger,more talented,works harder,has more material comforts,does more than I for his neighbors.Can I become stronger by trying to bring him down to my level instead of trying to rise above my level.

Critizing and finding fault with him in order to make myself appear stronger will do what for me?

As I said,please take this where you want to go.I think you understand what is meant by the Ten Cannot's right or wrong?

Enjoy

Agreed Bonnie. Your opening post is correct.

There is no such thing as righteousness by reductionism. And taxes are not tithe.

G

"Please don't feed the drama queens.."