ClubAdventist is back!

Criminal record check

Darls

It's in the Church Manual but is causing a lot of trouble in my church. People don't want to do it because they think it's the '' Mark of the Beast''. Personally, I don't like it very well, but we need to protect children and the Conference.

It has gotten so bad, that the leaders are kicking out a pastor because of it.

Please pray for my church.

• Moderators

Hi Darls,

Welcome to ClubAdventist! I have been on CA for a long time and feel I have made some good friends. Some I have even met in person after "seeing" them here online here for years, and that is always a great experience.

I have noticed your post about "Police Check" in a number of places, and I am not sure which one to answer. It would be easier to have a conversation -- at least for me -- if you only posted this one time.

I am not sure what the situation is at your church. Something about a police check? Can you explain more what is going on, and why a pastor might lose his position over it?

Praying,

LynnDel

LD

It's in the Church Manual but is causing a lot of trouble in my church. People don't want to do it because they think it's the '' Mark of the Beast''. Personally, I don't like it very well, but we need to protect children and the Conference.

Those who think it's the Mark of the Beast should be kicked out. They are obviously not safe to have in the church.

May we be one so that the world may be won.
Christian from the cradle to the grave
I believe in Hematology.

Ok, for the election process this year, the police check has been put forward. However, it was not there before the new pastor came. The church is almost unicultural (caribbean, but the pastor is european). So everyone who would have a occupation in the church should give it.

Some influential (even too much) members are against it and sent many letters to the conference about him. But these days, it has gotten so much out of hand. Members, Deacons are calling him Satan, The Beast and they are saying on the pulpit that they dont want to give the police check. They are bullying other members and forcing them to vote no on all the lectures of the nominating committee, thinking that it could change something on the police check.

They are going on the pulpit saying that the whole church should not give it and that the pastor has to go. They even said that there is a separation in the church between the youth and the older people because the youth approve the police check. They are starting to bully the youth and forcing them to vote no on the nominating committee. \

PLEASE pray for my church!!!

Ok, for the election process this year, the police check has been put forward. However, it was not there before the new pastor came. The church is almost unicultural (caribbean, but the pastor is european). So everyone who would have a occupation in the church should give it.

Some influential (even too much) members are against it and sent many letters to the conference about him. But these days, it has gotten so much out of hand. Members, Deacons are calling him Satan, The Beast and they are saying on the pulpit that they dont want to give the police check. They are bullying other members and forcing them to vote no on all the lectures of the nominating committee, thinking that it could change something on the police check.

They are going on the pulpit saying that the whole church should not give it and that the pastor has to go. They even said that there is a separation in the church between the youth and the older people because the youth approve the police check. They are starting to bully the youth and forcing them to vote no on the nominating committee.

PLEASE pray for my church!!!

• Moderators

I'm not sure what the term police check means in this context. Is it the same thing as a criminal background check? This check-up is required in our state, by state law, for any person who is in a position of leadership of children. This includes Sabbath school leaders and teachers, as well as Pathfinder leaders, etc. I appreciate this law, because many pedophiles gain access to their victims by first becoming Boy Scout leaders, Pathfinder leaders, etc.

We need to cooperate with the civil laws concerning protecting our young people from possible harm. Even Christ said "Render unto Caesar the things that are Caesar's, and unto God the things that are God's."

This type of law has nothing to do with the mark of the Beast, IMHO.

Jeannie<br /><br /><br />...Change is inevitable; growth is optional....

Yes, it is a criminal record check. It's necessary. It's even in the church manual p247. If I understood, the Conference does not require it if the state do no ask for it. So in many countries, they dont do it. And this may be the reason, there is so much animosity in my church.

• Members

A criminal record check.

On the pastor?

phkrause

By the decree enforcing the institution of the papacy in violation of the law of God, our nation will disconnect herself fully from righteousness. When Protestantism shall stretch her hand across the gulf to grasp the hand of the Roman power, when she shall reach over the abyss to clasp hands with spiritualism, when, under the influence of this threefold union, our country shall repudiate every principle of its Constitution as a Protestant and republican government, and shall make provision for the propagation of papal falsehoods and delusions, then we may know that the time has come for the marvelous working of Satan and that the end is near. {5T 451.1}

• Moderators

Obviously, the pastor has one.

Why obviously? I've never had one.

Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocrities. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence.

Einstein

• Moderators

It's too bad that the request to perform a criminal record check should so divide the church, when it is really a safeguard to protect our young ones. It makes me wonder if someone among those who are so much against it has something to hide. I pray that those in your church, in all churches, not forget the real reason our church exists in the first place.

LD

LD

No, on every volunteers. Obviously, the pastor has one.

Don't know how true that is,but there are to many instances to count where behavior is known,complaints are made and there is no action taken except to move the accused to another location

Everything you do is based on the choices you make. It's not your parents, your past relationships, your job, the economy, the weather, an argument, or your age that is to blame. You and only you are responsible for every decision and choice you make, period ... ... Wish more people would realize this.

Quotes by Susan Gottesman

• Administrators

It's too bad that the request to perform a criminal record check should so divide the church, when it is really a safeguard to protect our young ones. It makes me wonder if someone among those who are so much against it has something to hide. I pray that those in your church, in all churches, not forget the real reason our church exists in the first place.

LD

thumbsup

Criminal records are easily obtained...if you have nothing to hide, then there is nothing to fear.

If your dreams are not big enough to scare you, they are not big enough for God

Don't know how true that is, but there are to many instances to count where behavior is known,complaints are made and there is no action taken except to move the accused to another location

Just like the Boy Scouts.

Or the RC Church.

It's a very old tradition which completely bypasses official records.

Try reading "Fifty Years in the Church of Rome" by Charles Chiniquy. Nothing new under the sun.

Originally Posted By: bonnie
Don't know how true that is, but there are to many instances to count where behavior is known,complaints are made and there is no action taken except to move the accused to another location

Just like the Boy Scouts.

Or the RC Church.

It's a very old tradition which completely bypasses official records.

Try reading "Fifty Years in the Church of Rome" by Charles Chiniquy. Nothing new under the sun.

That is all true but the SDA church is my concern. What others do that is wrong and immoral should not be a basis for our behavior

Everything you do is based on the choices you make. It's not your parents, your past relationships, your job, the economy, the weather, an argument, or your age that is to blame. You and only you are responsible for every decision and choice you make, period ... ... Wish more people would realize this.

Criminal records are easily obtained...if you have nothing to hide, then there is nothing to fear.

Further, if one is born again there is no fear.

Most have a lengthy criminal record before conversion - as did Paul, a most effective shepherd in God's work.

What others do that is wrong and immoral should not be a basis for our behavior

True enough, but it is the basis for our behavior.

And most members take it in stride. "Just a bad apple."

Originally Posted By: bonnie
What others do that is wrong and immoral should not be a basis for our behavior

True enough, but it is the basis for our behavior.

And most members take it in stride. "Just a bad apple."

I guess I disagree.The SDA has not based this behavior on what others have done or are doing.

I guess I disagree. The SDA has not based this behavior on what others have done or are doing.

Very well. Upon what is this SDA behavior based?

Not the Bible (which teaches personal & corporate responsibility - and urges accountability.)

Not the SOP which advocates the same.

Without acknowledging a root cause, denial remains a plausible defense. Solutions won't be sought or found.

LD

Amen, it's quite probable it's the case. It should not be such a problem to give it knowing that nobody will see it, except the conference but even (in a sealed enveloppe).