ClubAdventist is back!

La Sierra rejects gay, lesbian club

Stan

BY DAVID OLSON

STAFF WRITER

dolson@pe.com

Published: 15 November 2012 05:20 PM

A Text Size

A group of gay and lesbian students at La Sierra University is trying again to gain official recognition for their club, six months after the university denied it because of Seventh-day Adventist Church teachings on homosexuality.

The club, Prism, reapplied for recognition last month, hoping that attitudes of members of the 2,400-student Adventist university's Student Life Committee have changed, said Prism president Rebecca Kern.

"It's also a way for us to say out loud that we're not going away," said Kern, 23, a fourth-year student who is lesbian and Adventist.

Prism members are holding their first public event Saturday, Nov. 17, but the mix of workshops and entertainment is taking place at UC Riverside because La Sierra doesn't permit non-sanctioned clubs to hold events on campus.

Non-approved clubs cannot promote their events on campus with leaflets or postings in university buildings, and they cannot reserve campus meeting rooms.

La Sierra spokesman Larry Becker said organizations viewed as violating Adventist beliefs cannot gain recognition.

"The committee felt that while the university values all students and is against harassment in all forms, this group's mission does not align with Seventh-day Adventist beliefs on sexuality," he said. "La Sierra is a Seventh-day Adventist university, so we support the values of the SDA Church. That is why they were turned down."

The Adventist Church teaches that same-gender sexual activity is a sin, but same-gender sexual orientation is not.

Kern said Prism does not conflict with those beliefs. It’s not a dating club, she said.

"This club is about conversation," Kern said. "That's why we're absolutely perplexed that this club hasn't been approved."

The club, formed about a year ago, has about 50 students, faculty and staff who are involved, Kern said. Members are lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgendered and supportive straight people, she said. Some, like Kern, are Adventist. Others are not.

Participants discuss ways to reconcile their faith with their sexuality, learn about LGBT history and address topics such as anti-gay bullying and homophobia, she said.

Only official clubs can reserve campus space, so Prism's faculty sponsor, psychology Professor Paul Mallery, said he looks for empty classrooms for meetings.

The club is the latest effort by LGBT students at La Sierra to organize themselves. Zack Jaggers said a 2011 attempt by him and others to establish a LGBT lecture series on campus through a social-justice group was rejected.

Instead, lectures were held by professors as part of their classes. Becker said the lectures were academic in nature and didn’t violate university rules.

The university doesn’t object to discussion of LGBT-issues, although, Becker said, "all our conversation is informed by our faith and our doctrine."

La Sierra approved the scheduled Dec. 1 screening of the film "Seventh Gay Adventists," about the intersection of faith, identity and sexuality among LGBT Adventists, at the campus' La Sierra University Church.

La Sierra's approach illustrates its attempt to balance open discussions that are part of academic institutions with its mission of adhering to Adventist beliefs.

La Sierra is one of five of the 13 Adventist universities in North America that has an LGBT club, none of them officially recognized, said Eliel Cruz, president of an organization that represents the groups. Cruz, who attends Andrews University in Michigan, said he's not aware of a club at Loma Linda University.

"We're not trying to change theology," Cruz said. "We are here to ensure all our students feel safe and have a safe place to talk."

Other universities affiliated with faiths that have teachings similar to Adventist beliefs on sexuality have differing approaches to gay and lesbian clubs. Some, especially evangelical institutions, also ban such clubs. Some allow them.

The Roman Catholic Loyola Marymount University in Los Angeles established an LGBT Student Services office.

The office is not in conflict with Catholic Church teaching against same-gender sexual activity or same-sex marriage, said the Rev. Robert Caro, the university's vice president for mission and ministry.

"It's a support center," Caro said. "We see it as part of our pastoral outreach to the gay and lesbian community. It is not a center that is advocating any gay causes or gay marriage. It's a center that recognizes the reality that we have gay, lesbian and transgendered students, and we want to respect their dignity and counter any attempt to marginalize them and counter any homophobic tendencies."

La Sierra's rejection of the LGBT club comes amid a years-long controversy over how the university should teach both the Adventist view that the world was created in six days, and the scientific consensus that evolution occurred over millions of years.

Last year, the Western Association of Schools and Colleges, which accredits universities, expressed concern that faculty members' academic freedom and La Sierra's institutional autonomy were being threatened amid pressure by church traditionalists to infuse more religious teaching into the curriculum.

Follow David Olson on Twitter: @DavidOlson11

‘Slam Hate’ event

Prism is cosponsoring its first public event, called “Slam Hate Night,” on Saturday, Nov. 17. It will include workshops and entertainment.

The event is from 6 to 10 p.m. at The Barn at UC Riverside. For more information, go to www.facebook.com/events/469283059756697.

http://www.pe.com/local-news/riverside-c...2#ssStory789093

If you receive benefit to being here please help out with expenses.

https://www.paypal.me/clubadventist

Administrator of a few websites like https://adventistdating.com

• Replies 241
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• John317

• BobRyan

• SivartM

• JoeMo

Top Posters In This Topic

Stan - Very interesting article.I admire the courage and honesty of LGBT students to come out into the open to attempt to reconcile their faith with their sexuality. I also recognize their right to meet.

I also recognize La Sierra's right, as a private institution, to not approve of the group meeting on campus. I don't agree with their decision; but it's not my campus - it's their private property.

There is a non-denominational church here in Denver called "Where Grace Abounds" that ministers specifically to the LGBT communuity. They routinely allow groups like this to meet at their facility free or for a minimal charge. Are there any churches (or other public meeting places) around La Sierra that would give access to this group?

BY DAVID OLSON

STAFF WRITER

dolson@pe.com

Published: 15 November 2012 05:20 PM

A Text Size

A group of gay and lesbian students at La Sierra University is trying again to gain official recognition for their club, six months after the university denied it because of Seventh-day Adventist Church teachings on homosexuality.

Thanks for posting that Stan.

La Sierra is to be affirmed to the extent that they have the courage, honesty and integrity to stand for the Word of God - no matter how unpopular with atheists, former LSU president Fritz Guy and a host of others out there on the "left" coast.

in Christ,

Bob

John 8:32 - The Truth will make you free

“The righteousness of Christ will not cover one cherished sin." COL 316.

• Members

Interesting article, and it comes right on the heels of WO, just as a few had said it would. Even though I disagreed that this would happen.

phkrause

By the decree enforcing the institution of the papacy in violation of the law of God, our nation will disconnect herself fully from righteousness. When Protestantism shall stretch her hand across the gulf to grasp the hand of the Roman power, when she shall reach over the abyss to clasp hands with spiritualism, when, under the influence of this threefold union, our country shall repudiate every principle of its Constitution as a Protestant and republican government, and shall make provision for the propagation of papal falsehoods and delusions, then we may know that the time has come for the marvelous working of Satan and that the end is near. {5T 451.1}

Interesting article, and it comes right on the heels of WO, just as a few had said it would. Even though I disagreed that this would happen.

WO has never been an important issue to me.When you move the goal post,and at times it is only right it be moved,the next in line that wants "rights" so called is waiting to pull it closer to them

Everything you do is based on the choices you make. It's not your parents, your past relationships, your job, the economy, the weather, an argument, or your age that is to blame. You and only you are responsible for every decision and choice you make, period ... ... Wish more people would realize this.

Quotes by Susan Gottesman

• Moderators

The club, Prism, reapplied for recognition last month, hoping that attitudes of members of the 2,400-student Adventist university's Student Life Committee have changed, said Prism president Rebecca Kern.

"It's also a way for us to say out loud that we're not going away," said Kern, 23, a fourth-year student who is lesbian and Adventist.

....Slam Hate event

Prism is cosponsoring its first public event, called Slam Hate Night, on Saturday, Nov. 17.

Not surprised. They aren't going away, for sure, and they WILL be back. Each year they'll grow stronger and more persistent and insistent.

The church will be made to appear as full of "hate" for teaching the Bible's view on homosexuality.

Since it worked in the campaign for women's role in the church, they figure it will eventually work for the gay agenda in the church. They believe time and history is on their side. Just a matter of time when it will happen... not if it will.

John 3:16-17

For God so loved the world, that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life. [17] For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but in order that the world might be saved through him.

The church will be made to appear as full of "hate" for teaching the Bible's view on homosexuality.

Indeed - I think that there are people out there referring to belief in the Bible as "the kind of thinking that flies planes into buildings".

Oh well - Christ did not call acceptance of Bible truths as "the narrow way" for nothing.

in Christ,

Bob

• Moderators

....Prism is cosponsoring its first public event, called Slam Hate Night, on Saturday, Nov. 17. It will include workshops and entertainment.

The event is from 6 to 10 p.m. at The Barn at UC Riverside. For more information, go to www.facebook.com/events/469283059756697.

http://www.pe.com/local-news/riverside-c...2#ssStory789093

It says, "Prism at La Sierra University with UC Riverside's LGBT Resource Center, ASPB*, RHA, Diversity Initiatives, and Queer People of Color; SoulForce, and IDK presents:

A night of bold talents coming together to build community and local support for those who face marginalization and hate. Come celebrate your identity, learn more about sexuality, expression, gender and ask some important questions."

For God so loved the world, that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life. [17] For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but in order that the world might be saved through him.

• Moderators

There is a non-denominational church here in Denver called "Where Grace Abounds" that ministers specifically to the LGBT communuity. They routinely allow groups like this to meet at their facility free or for a minimal charge. Are there any churches (or other public meeting places) around La Sierra that would give access to this group?

There's nothing wrong in meeting together, but there is something wrong in meeting for the purpose of encouraging others in the practice of homosexuality. Those organizations teach others that there's nothing wrong with gay sex. They teach that Paul was wrong to say what he did and that the practice of homosexuality isn't a sin at all.

I believe the Bible teaches that it's a sin for males to have sexual relations with males and females to have sexual relations with females. God provides us with the power to resist and overcome those sins. Even if we're born with the predisposition to be attracted to members of our own gender (and I believe I was), God's grace is able to empower us to live in obedience to His commandments.

http://clubadventist.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/165910/12.html

Do you believe the Bible condemns the practice of homosexuality as sinful?

• Members

Originally Posted By: JoeMo

There's nothing wrong in meeting together, but there is something wrong in meeting for the purpose of encouraging others in the practice of homosexuality. Those organizations teach others that there's nothing wrong with gay sex. They teach that Paul was wrong to say what he did and that the practice of homosexuality isn't a sin at all.

I believe the Bible teaches that it's a sin for males to have sexual relations with males and females to have sexual relations with females. God provides us with the power to resist and overcome those sins. Even if we're born with the predisposition to be attracted to members of our own gender (and I believe I was), God's grace is able to empower us to live in obedience to His commandments.

http://clubadventist.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/165910/12.html

Do you believe the Bible condemns the practice of homosexuality as sinful?

:like:

phkrause

By the decree enforcing the institution of the papacy in violation of the law of God, our nation will disconnect herself fully from righteousness. When Protestantism shall stretch her hand across the gulf to grasp the hand of the Roman power, when she shall reach over the abyss to clasp hands with spiritualism, when, under the influence of this threefold union, our country shall repudiate every principle of its Constitution as a Protestant and republican government, and shall make provision for the propagation of papal falsehoods and delusions, then we may know that the time has come for the marvelous working of Satan and that the end is near. {5T 451.1}

Quote:
They believe time and history is on their side. Just a matter of time when it will happen... not if it will.

Disagree! The church is not perfect but I still have faith in it.

• Moderators

Quote:
They believe time and history is on their side. Just a matter of time when it will happen... not if it will.

Disagree! The church is not perfect but I still have faith in it.

You apparently misunderstand what I'm saying. I'm NOT saying the SDA church as a whole will accept the practice of homosexuality. I'm saying that many in the church will accept it, and that it's likely that some congregations and even some local conferences will accept it. I'm also saying that the gay agenda will not go away but will get stronger and push harder on the doors of the SDA church.

Quote:

Where Grace Abounds is NOT a support group for people who want to practice same gender sex. It is a support group for people committing themselves to NOT giving into their desires, because they are committed to living in accordance with God's Law rather than falling to the temptation. That's why they meet in a church to pray and support one another's commitment rather than meet in a gay bar and support their inclination. I would think you would understand that.

• Members

Quote:

Where Grace Abounds is NOT a support group for people who want to practice same gender sex. It is a support group for people committing themselves to NOT giving into their desires, because they are committed to living in accordance with God's Law rather than falling to the temptation. That's why they meet in a church to pray and support one another's commitment rather than meet in a gay bar and support their inclination. I would think you would understand that.

JoeMo, John probably didn't know that and neither did I. So I'm glad to hear that.

phkrause

• Moderators

....Where Grace Abounds is NOT a support group for people who want to practice same gender sex. It is a support group for people committing themselves to NOT giving into their desires, because they are committed to living in accordance with God's Law rather than falling to the temptation. That's why they meet in a church to pray and support one another's commitment rather than meet in a gay bar and support their inclination. I would think you would understand that.

It's great to hear that, JoeMoe.

I've belonged to a group like it, called, "Homosexuals Anonymous," but I hadn't heard of the group in Colorado, "Where Grace Abounds."

What did you mean when you said, "I admire the courage and honesty of LGBT students to come out into the open to attempt to reconcile their faith with their sexuality"?

As I understand it, the group that wants to organize and meet as a gay club on the La Sierra campus have come out in the open in order to assert their belief that it's OK to practice homosexuality. That is how they reconcile their faith with their sexuality. They reconcile it by changing what the Bible teaches about their sexuality, not by allowing God to change their their desires.

I could be completely wrong about that, though.

They're meeting only a short distance down the highway from where I live.

• Moderators

Stan - Very interesting article.I admire the courage and honesty of LGBT students to come out into the open to attempt to reconcile their faith with their sexuality. I also recognize their right to meet.

I also recognize La Sierra's right, as a private institution, to not approve of the group meeting on campus. I don't agree with their decision; but it's not my campus - it's their private property.

If the SDA university were to allow homosexuals to have a gay club on campus, it would be viewed as condoning the practice of homosexuality. That's how both gays and non-gays would interpret it. The next step would be acceptance of practicing gays as church members, which is already what some SDAs favor. Once that goal is accomplished, the next step would be a gay clergy in the SDA church. If a person practicing gay sex can be accepted into the SDA church, there's no reason they shouldn't be accepted as an elder or pastor.

The news article states:

Quote:
The Adventist Church teaches that same-gender sexual activity is a sin, but same-gender sexual orientation is not.

Kern said Prism does not conflict with those beliefs. It’s not a dating club, she said.

"This club is about conversation," Kern said. "That's why we're absolutely perplexed that this club hasn't been approved."

The club, formed about a year ago, has about 50 students, faculty and staff who are involved, Kern said. Members are lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgendered and supportive straight people, she said. Some, like Kern, are Adventist. Others are not.

It looks as if Kern is saying that Prism doesn't conflict with SDA beliefs simply because Prism isn't "a dating club." I'll find out for sure tonight. I'm going to the party. This will be the first time in 8 years that I've been with other gays. I want to see for myself who they are and what they believe.

Quote:
It looks as if Kern is saying that Prism doesn't conflict with SDA beliefs simply because Prism isn't "a dating club." I'll find out for sure tonight. I'm going to the party. This will be the first time in 8 years that I've been with other gays. I want to see for myself who they are and what they believe.

That's awesome, John! Please let me know how it turns out.

I discussed what goes on at "Where Grace Abounds" with one of the Board Members this morning. He confirmed that it is just as a stated in a previous post - it is a place where non-practicing gay Christians go to support and encourage each other in their quest for purity. He also said that, since it is a gathering place for GLBT's, that non-Christian predator LGBTs do show up their on occasion looking for a partner. When (and if) discovered, they are asked to leave.

• Moderators

I went to the "Barn" on the UCR campus tonight, but I didn't get there until a little after 9:00 PM. It wasn't an easy place to find, but now that I know where they meet, I'll go back and next time will be there when it starts.

A poet named Regie Cabico was finishing the last show and it was all over about 40 minutes after I arrived. The program was titled, "Slam the Hate."

There were about 120 in attendance. It's possible that some had already left by the time I arrived, though.

As it was breaking up, I asked some of the people if they were from La Sierra University, but everyone I talked to was a student at UCR. Some of them didn't know anything about Prism. I talked to one of the organizers and introduced myself to her as a non-practicing gay person who'd graduated from La Sierra U. I asked her if she knew anyone there who was in Prism,or from La Sierra, and she said she didn't. She was very friendly and welcomed me to the event.

Prism was just one of many gay groups involved in the activities today. It was presented at the UCR LGBT Resource Center and was sponsored by SoulForce, IDK, RHA, Prism, ASPB, QPOC, KUCR FM.

The poster advertizing the event read, "Queer & Trans Youth Visibility," "Inland Empire Queer Anarchists," "Inland Empire Pride," "Queer People of Color."

I felt only love for the people I saw and talked with there. I plan to go to the La Sierra campus and talk with the students in Prism. I never did see any of them at the Barn tonight, at least that I know of.

• Moderators

This is what wikipedia says about Regie Cabico, one of the main entertainers at tonight's program:

Quote:
Regie Cabico is a poet and spoken word artist. He has been featured on two seasons of Def Poetry Jam on HBO (produced by Russell Simmons).

Cabico is a critically acclaimed who has won top prizes in the 1993, 1994 and 1997 at National Poetry Slams. His poetry appears in over 30 anthologies including Aloud: Voices from the Nuyorican Poets Café, Spoken Word Revolution and Slam. He was also featured in MTV's "Free Your Mind" Spoken Word Tour. Regie is the recipient of three New York Foundation for the Arts Fellowships for Poetry and Multi-Discplinary Performance. He is a regular performer at the Nuyorican Poets Cafe and the Bowery Poetry Club in New York City.

He was a collaborating artist in Rhythmicity at The Humana Festival of New American Plays (2002–2003) season.

Cabico is of Filipino American descent and is an out and proud gay man who has been called the Lady Gaga of spoken word poets.

• Moderators
It sounds to me that the only way homosexuals will feel/consider that people love them is for the acceptance of their lifestyle.

Thanks for the report, John. I would be interested in the outcome of any conversations you have with Prism. The wife of the Board member of "Where Grace Abounds" is from Riverside.

I think a man like you could be a catalyst for revival in a group like Prism. You are a forerunner, bud - this could become a ministry for you. You can only give away something that you have; and it sounds like you have a supernatural gift of purity. Bless you!

JoeMo

It sounds to me that the only way homosexuals will feel/consider that people love them is for the acceptance of their lifestyle.

I am sure prostitutes, pedophiles and gamblers feel the same way.

in Christ,

Bob

As someone who is a member of the Gay-Straight Alliance at Andrews University (which is NOT affiliated with or approved by the university), I'd like to put my input into the current situation at Adventist colleges.

Firstly, the AU group, and as far as I know Prism and the other groups at Adventist schools, do NOT promote the "practice of homosexuality". They are open to those who do not believe that homosexual relations are sin. Some members of the groups do not believe it is a sin. Others do believe it is a sin. These are support groups for students whose sexual orientations are taboo at their schools, and for students who support their colleagues. They are safe spaces where these issues can be discussed. They are not "gay clubs".

These groups are sorely needed at Adventist schools. These issues are actually important to our generation. Many of us want discussion that is not controlled by the church and university administrations. A few weeks ago at Andrews we had a university-endorsed panel discussion on homosexuality. But don't call the GC just yet, because you can rest assured that the discussion was not allowed to veer outside of the church's positions. What was most striking, and what nearly EVERY student brought up, was that there were no gay people on the panel. And for obvious reasons, the students are tired of talking about and at people rather than with them.

When the Seventh-Gay Adventist documentary screened here (off-campus, of course) last week, many students were not only interested but excited to learn that we have a gay-straight alliance. I saw overwhelming support for the gay students here. Not for a "lifestyle" or "behavior" or whatever you're afraid of, but for the people themselves.

"Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much." - Oscar Wilde

�Do to others whatever you would like them to do to you. This is the essence of all that is taught in the law and the prophets." - Jesus

Originally Posted By: Gerry Cabalo

I am sure prostitutes, pedophiles and gamblers feel the same way.

in Christ,

Bob

I wonder if you'd like to come to Andrews and tell some of our gay Adventist students that they are comparable to prostitutes, pedophiles, and gamblers. Come and meet one of them and tell them to their face that you think they're like a pedophile because they want their church and school to stop pretending that they do not exist.

"Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much." - Oscar Wilde

�Do to others whatever you would like them to do to you. This is the essence of all that is taught in the law and the prophets." - Jesus

• Moderators

Originally Posted By: BobRyan

Bob

I wonder if you'd like to come to Andrews and tell some of our gay Adventist students that they are comparable to prostitutes, pedophiles, and gamblers. Come and meet one of them and tell them to their face that you think they're like a pedophile because they want their church and school to stop pretending that they do not exist.

Sounds like the person you should invite to speak at your meetings, SivartM, would be John317. He's compassionate and speaks from experience, yet is totally "kosher" according to the Adventist beliefs.

Jeannie<br /><br /><br />...Change is inevitable; growth is optional....