• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• BobRyan

• Woody

• Robert

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Quote:
It would? Even the Biblical authors were not infallible.

Gail,

On the surface, I would call that a pretty gutsy statement. To avoid a firefight, I won't agree or disagree with it. On a deeper level,I will agree that Biblical authors were probably God's penmen and not His pen; and they likely filtered God's inspiration through their own baggage and wrote things through their world view. What they said is all true; but it's like one guy saying "the glass is half full"; another saying "the glass is half empty"; and another saying "the glass is twice as big as it needs to be". All statements are true; but each one gives a different impression to the reader.

But I digress ... backtopic

• Administrators

This is getting totally off the topic of football/Adventism.

I am about to move it...

Isaiah 32:17 And the work of righteousness shall be peace; and the effect of righteousness quietness and assurance for ever.

• Administrators

Okay, those posts that are going deeper into 1844/EGW have their own thread in What Seventh-day Adventists Believe

Back to the football discussion :)

Isaiah 32:17 And the work of righteousness shall be peace; and the effect of righteousness quietness and assurance for ever.

Thanks Gail.

As noted on pages 1 and 2 of this thread - a number of references exist in Ellen White's writings specifically dealing with football. So far - all of them flatly condemn it for Christians.

So if anyone knows of a positive reference to football in the writings of Ellen White - please feel free to post it.

in Christ,

Bob

John 8:32 - The Truth will make you free

“The righteousness of Christ will not cover one cherished sin." COL 316.

Yes, I am with Sky and Bob, that in all Sister White's writings it can't be found one little statement upholding football.

We should know and understand that of ourselves, why should we have to be pounded upon to see it is not in the Christians bag.

Now that is hard work, excelling in football and there is no work to it to please our God and Saviour. If we will "upload" Him in our hearts He does the work.

Love for Him is the answer to abiding in Him, not love for a debasing game.

1Jo 4:4 ¶ Ye are of God, little children, and have overcome them: because greater is he that is in you, than he that is in the world.

A Freeman In Jesus Christ

So Gibs,

Are you saying it is impossible to love two things at once? I love my Savior, I love my wife, I love my kids, I love my job, I love CA, and I love watching the Broncos play football. I do not compromise my love for any one of them to love the other (admittedly there are priorities). When I watch the Broncos play (once a week), my wife or kids are not offended; my job is not compromised; and the quality of CA is not compromised (too much, at least! :)) My Savior has much more patience and love for me than any of those other people/things; and I have a hard time picturing Jesus "crying" or getting out his big beating stick just cuz I watch a Broncos game. If you see things differently, don't watch football - it's just that simple!

JoeMo, I don't watch football, and should you? What on earth for?

It is a brutal sport, like boxing or wrestling, why should a Christian enjoy watching such a butal game which is akin to taking a part in it's brutality.

Many, many get hurt badly in those things and are maimed for life. It is akin to watching rooster fights or dog fights. Those got outlawed here in this county, as many got into having game chickens and fighting dogs just to get killed or so badly injured they had to be put out of misery. This was the case with many that even won the fight. The loser died usually at the time.

Nice stuff, huh?

1Jo 4:4 ¶ Ye are of God, little children, and have overcome them: because greater is he that is in you, than he that is in the world.

• Administrators

My dogs are against football. They're into sticks.

>>a number of references exist in Ellen White's writings specifically dealing with football. So far - all of them flatly condemn it for Christians.<<

Wasn't she also against riding bicycles?--and didn't the apologetics revolve around the co$t incurred by those cursed things?

I guess that sometimes we fail to grasp the 'context' of certain matters, ie: football, as it was played whilst she was alive was a much different game than it is today. Whole lot of rules and regulations have since been implemented..., not to mention that padding and protective devices now attend the game of football.

It is far more dangerous and bloody to drive our streets and highways - than either to play or to watch the game of football.

Context, dear ones.

• Administrators

I used to play football with my dog when I was a kid. She always won though.

Nice! :)

But you must know, an awful lot of them do still get hurt and very bad today in the game of football. It is not just a touch game like we had to play when we went to school, not many schools allow only that.

It still don't get my vote!

Originally Posted By: EmptyCross

I used to play football with my dog when I was a kid. She always won though.

Nice! :)

I won when we played hockey though. It could have been the ice skates and I could drop my gloves faster than her. bwink

I guess that sometimes we fail to grasp the 'context' of certain matters, ie: football, as it was played whilst she was alive was a much different game than it is today. Whole lot of rules and regulations have since been implemented..., not to mention that padding and protective devices now attend the game of football.

That's not the issue! The issue is "striving for the mastery"... who "should be the greatest"!

I'll give you what Jesus said:

Mark 10:42 ...Jesus called them (the disciples) together and said, "You know that in this world kings are tyrants, and officials lord it over the people beneath them.

In other words they don't live to serve - they live to be served. They are self-serving.

43 But among you it should be quite different. Whoever wants to be a leader (top dog) among you must be your servant, 44 and whoever wants to be first (# 1) must be the slave of all.

In other words you can apply this principle to anything. The idea of self-seeking or self-glory is diametrically opposed to God's agape love - a love that is not self-seeking.

Therefore what Pastor Jack said is true:

Satan has developed a kingdom (the Bible refers to it as “the kingdom of this world”) that is based entirely on the principle of self and which is in complete opposition and contradiction to the “kingdom of heaven.” Everything, therefore, that goes to make up this worldly system (kosmos) — nationalism, tribalism, politics, education, commerce, recreation, sports, social clubs, technology, etc. — is founded upon the principle of love of self, even though at times this principle may not be obvious. According to 1 John 2:16, “all that is in the world” (i.e., without exception) is based or founded upon lust (i.e., love of self). [see the following for the whole context: Read ]

• Members

>>a number of references exist in Ellen White's writings specifically dealing with football. So far - all of them flatly condemn it for Christians.<<

Wasn't she also against riding bicycles?--and didn't the apologetics revolve around the co$t incurred by those cursed things?

It is far more dangerous and bloody to drive our streets and highways - than either to play or to watch the game of football.

Context, dear ones.

Even though I agree with most of your post, EGW was not against riding bicycle's, she was very much against those that spent money on them and at the same time didn't have money to give to the church.

phkrause

By the decree enforcing the institution of the papacy in violation of the law of God, our nation will disconnect herself fully from righteousness. When Protestantism shall stretch her hand across the gulf to grasp the hand of the Roman power, when she shall reach over the abyss to clasp hands with spiritualism, when, under the influence of this threefold union, our country shall repudiate every principle of its Constitution as a Protestant and republican government, and shall make provision for the propagation of papal falsehoods and delusions, then we may know that the time has come for the marvelous working of Satan and that the end is near. {5T 451.1}

Even though I agree with most of your post, EGW was not against riding bicycle's, she was very much against those that spent money on them and at the same time didn't have money to give to the church.

That is true - you can find several references to Ellen White speak of those who had bicylces as transportation (missionaries etc) and no condemnation of the use of bikes in such contexts.

As you point out - her condemnation of it was in cases where people were not using the money God gave them wisely.

Those who have no value at all for what Ellen White said on the other hand, are usually among the first to overstate some position that she held.

in Christ,

Bob

Wasn't she also against riding bicycles?-

There are both positive and negative references to bicycles in what Ellen White said - hence my focus on details.

So if someone has the positive reference to football - well that is why I created this thread - time to show us the details.

in Christ,

Bob