ClubAdventist is back!

Football and Adventism

BobRyan

>>not knowing that Ellen White specifically condemns this particular sport - without any reference to it having some redeeming ("good" ) quality?<<

Ah well, didn’t she also “condemn” John Harvey Kellogg? It follows then that any redeeming quality re the good fellow is a nullity, yes?—as well, Sanitariums and breakfast cereals, yes?

>>"I am well aware that Ellen White condemns what we are doing - but I am doing this anyway because I really don't care what Ellen White said when it is inconvenient"<<

I rather suspect it was the same with the man – who, in the opinion of EGW – ought to have gone to bed with his wife – his pants still belted about his waist. (--Testimonies [/paraphrased])

“Oh darn!—how uncomfortable and inconvenient. Doesn’t Writ state that there is no sin in the marriage bed?”

• Replies 699
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• BobRyan

• Woody

• Robert

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

>>mentally we have been drfited away wondering if time will move quickly so that we can go and watch that game not knowing we are breaking the 4th Commsnd....<<

‘swhy, we set that little silver or black box next to the TV to time, channel, and record. One then has all of Saturday night to watch the games – and can guard the content and edges of the Sabbath… without distraction.

>>That idea of people sitting in church thinking about something else - be it Soccer, or Tennis, or work, or some funday-event coming up - is one that we all need to struggle with and deal with effectively in true 2Cor 10:4-5 fashion.<<

…or the potluck coming up as soon as the Sanctuary services are finished (…hopa, hopa, some Newbie brought fried chicken!).

>>But in this case - we are talking about an announcement from the pulpit - promoting that which is flatly condemned.<<

…“flatly condemned”? Does it not matter by whom? By the posts to this thread – I gather that the condemnation is done by EGW – who was wantonly and pro-actively involved in the Prohibition Movement. The denouement, I might add, was that the American Gangster was able during the Prohibition to accumulate so much wealth that – he, thereafter, was able to insert himself into the legitimate businesses such as banking (much to our detriment) and even to the chambers of our judges, our politicians, etc.

Definitely not a good thing for the rest of us – though one suspects that Prohibition did somewhat to inflate good feelings (pride?) of the immediately involved, yes?

Do you not strive for “mastery” – say, against the temptations of he Devil?—or that sloe-eyed beauty who wants you so much to ‘come up and see her sometime’?—or…

No, all I can do is produce sin. Only God can defeat my nature.....I can do nothing of myself.

the evidence is the Gd-instilled basic instinct of self-preservation.

The last generation will experience victory over that basic instinct. Go to Revelation 12:11

And they overcame him by the blood of the Lamb, and by the word of their testimony; and they loved not their lives unto the death.

>>BobRyan said -

>>But in this case - we are talking about an announcement from the pulpit - promoting that which is flatly condemned.<<

…“flatly condemned”? Does it not matter by whom? By the posts to this thread – I gather that the condemnation is done by EGW – who was wantonly and pro-actively involved in the Prohibition Movement.

Not wantonly - but pro-actively just as she was involved in condemning slavery - she was also involved with opposing the sale of alcohol.

And in this case - apparently she was also instructed by God to condemn football.

But I am not saying that everyone on this board listens to such a prophetic ministry from God.

However I fully agree with your statement that is DOES matter "by whom" a prophet speaks.

Let each one be fully convinced in their own mind. All have free will.

in Christ,

Bob

John 8:32 - The Truth will make you free

“The righteousness of Christ will not cover one cherished sin." COL 316.

Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit (striving to be the greatest), but in humility consider others better than yourselves. Phi 2:3

So do you consider me better than you?

Originally Posted By: Robert
Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit (striving to be the greatest), but in humility consider others better than yourselves. Phi 2:3

So do you consider me better than you?

If I play football with you, I'm trying to win. So no, if I am competing AGAINST you I am trying to defeat you so that I can be number 1!

vain conceit (striving to be the greatest)

Whatever is not agape is sin. Comprehend? I mean, RLH, you belong to a church that claims it is keeping God's law. If you watch football you are participating in sin, not agape.

1 Cor 13:4 Love ...does not boast (my football team is better than yours), it is not proud (we are number one!). 5 It is not rude (losers!), it is not self-seeking (our team wants to defeat your team)....

Now of course we can start another post. Football is not the only sport that is based on self-seeking and self-love. What about a spelling bee in school? What's the principle? Right, sin!

So no matter how you look at things we live in a world dominated by self-interests. If God allowed this into heaven, well, heaven would cease to be heaven because "In heaven none will think of self, nor seek their own pleasure; but all, from pure, genuine love [agape], will seek the happiness of the heavenly beings around them." [2T 132]

Folks, that's why no one will make it based on their performance. That does not imply that there is no change in the believer's actions...it's just that he is never good enough for heaven. Only "in Christ" can we stand before God's Holy law.

Another non-answer. reyes

None of us are without sin. How's that for an answer?

That means that you aren't a commandment-keeper in the true sense of what that implies. That's all you need to know.

Now spelling bee's are a sin too?

Those who believe in Ellen White can easily prove from her that spelling bees are a sin. Yes.

May we be one so that the world may be won.
Christian from the cradle to the grave
I believe in Hematology.

A Foundation Subject of Education--When voice culture, reading, writing, and spelling take their rightful place in our schools, there will be seen a great change for the better. These subjects have been neglected because teachers have not recognized their value. But they are more important than Latin and Greek. I do not say that it is wrong to study Latin and Greek, but I do say that it is wrong to neglect the subjects that lie at the foundation of education in order to tax the mind with the study of these higher branches.--CT 218. {VSS 175.2}

She only mentions the word spelling 17 times from what is on the disc and none are about spelling bees. The better speller you are the chances are the better the communicator you can be.

1Jo 4:4 ¶ Ye are of God, little children, and have overcome them: because greater is he that is in you, than he that is in the world.

A Freeman In Jesus Christ

Gibs - you are looking up the wrong word. You need to look up the word - competition.

May we be one so that the world may be won.
Christian from the cradle to the grave
I believe in Hematology.

Originally Posted By: EmptyCross
Now spelling bee's are a sin too?

Those who believe in Ellen White can easily prove from her that spelling bees are a sin. Yes.

And from the Bible too! Remember, Paul states that believers have been delivered from under the law. Not because the law, in itself is bad, but because we are sinners and under law there's condemnation to the one not living pure agape love.

Rom 7:6 But now, by dying to what once bound us (the law - see verse 1), we have been released from the law so that we serve in the new way of the Spirit, and not in the old way of the written code.

Under law (letters on stone - i.e., "the written code") you sin you die. Under grace, God delivered you from under the law in His Son, Christ. Then He takes you were you are at and grows you! However, as important as growth is, your assurance is based on the righteousness of Christ.

So for me, at this point in my life, I don't care for sports. Yes, I'm a bit tempted to watch boxing & martial arts because I did those stupid things when I was young and foolish. Why? right, to be number one! And I was, but now I have the number one bad back from my stupid Bruce Lee days. giggle

And some of those guys giving it all for football end up with a lot worse. Is it worth all that glory in the end? No! So there, you have it from a sinner who experienced living for the flesh in this area and now I'm reaping the reward - back problems.