ClubAdventist is back!

What To Do When You Disagree With The Church?

JoeMo

Well,, what ever it is, some of us need to not only give monetary support to it, but also need to devote some time to it so that the model can be seen.....I know that no one is perfect, but asking for forgiveness is modeling it,....me thinks....if you are try to model God's love....I'm just saying.

I would suggest that if you don't give money to it, if you don't give it personal time, if you are not holding an office to promote it.....it would be my opinion that you just plain don't truely believe it....Just saying....

Democracy is a device that ensures we shall be governed no better than we deserve.

George Bernard Shaw

Really good analogies, Gregory. Just today I received an email from a couple who are leaving our church because they don't agree with the pastor's stand on the Holy Spirit and how He manifests. I can't see how that has to be a "deal breaker" issue. There are some matters where members could just agree to disagree rather than leave. If the church were promoting Sunday worship that would be different. I think some people are more into asserting their desire for power and leadership than honestly needing a place to worship.

• Members

Persoanlly Restin I have found that those wanting to leave will find any excuse! Doesn't mean that its not legit to them, but they were looking for it and found it.

phkrause

By the decree enforcing the institution of the papacy in violation of the law of God, our nation will disconnect herself fully from righteousness. When Protestantism shall stretch her hand across the gulf to grasp the hand of the Roman power, when she shall reach over the abyss to clasp hands with spiritualism, when, under the influence of this threefold union, our country shall repudiate every principle of its Constitution as a Protestant and republican government, and shall make provision for the propagation of papal falsehoods and delusions, then we may know that the time has come for the marvelous working of Satan and that the end is near. {5T 451.1}

• Administrators

Restin,

it certainly takes more prayer and thought and energy to stand in the power of your belief in the face of what you perceive is error, then to just pack up and leave.

if your husband is in error you do not just bail out on the relationship. Unless he is investing himself in another mate.

If my SDA pastor was becoming pentecostal and i believed he was being lead by another spirit, i would not bail out i would assert what i believed was true in prayer and fasting and seeking only the power of divine love, mercy, and truth through the Holy Spirit.

on the other hand if i was choosing an alternative to the true understanding of the Holy Spirit, i don't know if i would be able to find the wherewithal to assert my truth to my pastor, and likely i would leave.

deb

Love awakens love.

Let God be true and every man a liar.

• Administrators

We are living in scrambly times, aren't we?

Isaiah 32:17 And the work of righteousness shall be peace; and the effect of righteousness quietness and assurance for ever.

Are we talking about eating/preparation of food or end of time issues?

Because, if we are doing the cooking thing, I would like to add some ingredients to spice things up a bit....It will flavor the outcome better...and be better for you...like a bit of pepper and tumoric....

some of you are just NOT going to understand that.....

Democracy is a device that ensures we shall be governed no better than we deserve.

George Bernard Shaw

• 3 months later...

Thank you so much for posting this. It brought tears to my eyes.

I left the church many years ago, and yes I have looked at that study that was done recently. I am one of the 40% that never received a call from a paster, elder or member, not even my family.

I have many questions, I have even compared this church to a cult and how a cult is defined and found it fit all the parameters I knew as a child, teenager, and young adult. Recently, however I have met some people, who are different from the norm I knew. So I am beginning to question if I was right. At this moment, this is my way of observing the Sabbath. The fear of entering a church overwhelms me. I did it once a few years back, Easter, I did do my best to sit at the end of a pew. But the sermon wasn't on God's gift of Jesus Christ, it was on sinners and how they were going to be lost forever. I got my sinners butt up, (and unfortunately, was in the middle of the pew by the time the service started) walked out, slammed those doors, and vowed never to enter one again. We will see, I've left that open for the time being.

Right now I can't worry what EGW has to say, I am daily taking the bible book by book, chapter by chapter, verse by verse everyday. And I am happy to report that some of my requests and may I just take a moment to praise the Lord for answering them. Just listening to what God has to tell me, in the quiet of those times, I do hear his voice. And right now I think thats OK. That I'm OK. Whether this is the church for me, I've had people tell me it isn't (members), time will tell. Maybe I'll be that lone person, who comes here on Sabbath and reads. I've left it all in God's hands, and to have him guide and let me know the path he wants me on. I lol won't probably ever be your "normal" SDA member, if it comes to that again. But hey, it's in Gods hands, not mine, and he knows the future, not me.

Psalms19:12-14 Lord my saviour

• Members

Excellent post LRSC. Welcome to CA, I think you'll find it to be a very warm place to visit. There are some clashes, but still a great place all in all. I love your testimony, and kept leaving it in God's hands, you couldn't be in better hands. :)

phkrause

By the decree enforcing the institution of the papacy in violation of the law of God, our nation will disconnect herself fully from righteousness. When Protestantism shall stretch her hand across the gulf to grasp the hand of the Roman power, when she shall reach over the abyss to clasp hands with spiritualism, when, under the influence of this threefold union, our country shall repudiate every principle of its Constitution as a Protestant and republican government, and shall make provision for the propagation of papal falsehoods and delusions, then we may know that the time has come for the marvelous working of Satan and that the end is near. {5T 451.1}

• 11 months later...

I have been in this church since 1955 and left because I wanted the street life. I have always believed that this was the Church who have the message. However, we truly overlooked it and hung on to false traditions. This is the first person I have read who is speaking what the topic is about! We have never really said that what Hiram Edison saw was in Revelation 4 and 5 which is the judgment and six is the sealing of all the saints and the white horse as they all are of the earth. Adam and Eve was sealed first. I never understood why on earth we thought the church was ever perfect and YAHSHUA was the rider of this horse. It does not fit HIS PROFILE at all, YAHSHUA is the second ADAM folks. I am a Biblical Historian and when I return from Israel I started changing, I left again due disappointment with myself but finally I saw the light never to leave again.

This is the last Church and is not the remnant of the woman seed, the 144,000 and the great multitude is. We have been bought and we don't even realize we are people with traditions and doctrines and most are from the Catholic who we have constantly preach about. However we have obey them to, we don't want to be different and we don't study as well. All we do different is go to church on the Sabbath and most don't keep it anymore as well. Here is what we have taken from the Catholic:

There Calendar not ELOHIM Gen 1:14

The word feast which means to over indulge at unholy days not ELOHIM

Trinity adopted from the Greeks have to do with homeostasis

Christmas, Easters, Halloween, new years, Valentines day not ELOHIM

Christ/Christo, Jesus-hail Zeus, God etymology sends it back to the word demonic

Cross were worship through out pagan history and this word is not what stau-ros means

28 Fundamental beliefs is a creed

Please check all of what I have given out before you attack me! Is not all about love is being obedience and it is walking a narrow path. I have brought this to my conference and I'm still in the church and they know that I'm right!

Happy Sabbath and be bless!

Edited by Tom Wetmore
No quote zone...
  • Like 1

• Administrators

I recently read the thought that the basis of unity is equality.  

If you place all human beings including yourself, on an equal plain, equally sinners, equally needing a savior, and among believers, you do not see yourself above or superior but rather equal, regardless of income, education, experiences, but on the same level ground at the floot of the cross, then you are able to experience unity in the family of God.    ....apologies for the run on sentence....

Jesus placed himself on equal footing with us all.  He became connected to us all.  And offers to every person to become united with them if they are willing.

We may not be able to discern God's light bearers, in different places and walks and circumstances.   We are not to be a discouragement to anyone traveling this sod.

We cannot judge anyone's heart.  But we can know what spirit to follow, we can hear Jesus voice for ourselves.  and just as we grow and learn as we go we need to leave room for others to do the same and not feel we have to be in charge of anyone's walk.  There is one God.

For example, I don't fear jewelry in the Church, God is in Charge.  I can safely rest it with Him.

• Like 2

deb

Love awakens love.

Let God be true and every man a liar.

• 2 months later...

@stinsonmarri, am not certain if your thoughts blend truth and untruth :(

I, personally, am wary of teachings that blend a pinch of inaccuracies. This tactic is evident in the temptation of Eve/ Adam in Eden and in the temptation of Christ in the wilderness. A grain of untruth blended in quoting truth.

The etymology of the name Jesus (from the native name Yeshua to Greek/ Latin and later to German/ English) or Ha-Mashiach to Kristos/ Christ do not confer Greek mythological persona on Jesus Christ.

The issues at hand (IMHO) are about traditions of man vs the Law of God, the Church (Body of Christ) vs denomination, Faith vs religion and denominational doctrine vs God's word. Adventism has gradually gravitated to the muck and mire of traditions, doctrine and denominational exclusivity than follow its founding principle of Sola Scriptura. This was the backdrop in which Jesus ministry occurred that had Him in constant conflict with Pharisees and Sadducees (teachers of the "Law" and enforcers of traditions).

We have forgotten our calling to the Great Commission to be fishers of men and preach the GOOD NEWS of salvation (not deniminational doctrine) to ALL nations baptizing them. We have forgotten that the Church is a congregation of the followers of the WAY of salvation (later called Christians) to strengthen each other and NOT a corporation or exclusive club that tears down those look, act or garb differently. We have forgotten the Gospel and substituted it for denominationa principles and traditions of men.

The adventist church (denomination/ corporation) must redefine itself using Scriptures alone OR risk morphing slowly into an image other than that of Christ or His teachings (2 Timothy 3). SOME adherents have turned into judgmental extremists (a tad shy of Westboro Baptist?), preoccupied in matter that are not of salvivic value (Matthew 7). We have forgotten the weightier matters of The Law, namely: Justice, Mercy and Faith (Matthew 23 refers). We have forgotten that God is LOVE (1John 4 refers). Let us be on our guard and stop bashing other denominations but preach the TRUTH in LOVE (Ephesians 4).

There is ONE LORD, ONE FAITH, ONE BAPTISM, ONE GOD and Father of ALL

What do you do when you disagree with a pastor over an issue and he decides to censure you though the issue IMO is not something to be censured over?.  You state your case, inform the congregation that there is no need for censure because you have withdrawn from  from the  church./  Instead of accepting the withdrawal immediately according to policy the pastor ignores it,            and takes the censure vote anyway.  We lost a very devout family last year in  another conference.  The local church is falling apart and the pastor is moving ahead with his version of Spiritual Formation.  Nuff Sed

• Moderators

Onebeecee, post # 132:   Thank you for sharing.  You post is of value.

The bottom line is that congregations develop their own personality and appeal most to some people and not to others.  For those who live in a place where they can attend several  SDA churches, I say visit and pick one that spiritually nourishes you and that you think God is leading you to.

Gregory