ClubAdventist is back!

Identifying Characteristics

lazarus

• Administrators

Jesus was quite specific and clear, others observing His followers will have a certainty of whose followers they are, by the love they show to one another. he stated it as a being obvious and said it as if one would not have difficulty making that determination. If non-believers can see it, what does that look like to them?

And speaking of the 4th commandment, how does keeping it show love for our fellow man? (Notice that Jesus did not say the others will know we are His followers by how we show our love for God.)

"Absurdity reigns and confusion makes it look good."

"Sinless perfection is such a shallow goal."

"I love God only as much as the person I love the least."

*Forgiveness is always good news. And that is the gospel truth.

(And finally, the ideas expressed above are solely my person views and not that of any organization with which I am associated.)

How does keeping keeping 10 c's show love for our fellow man or God?

I think we are still 'stuck' on what showing love to one another is and that is why we are still dancing around with all of the other characteristics. Are we identifiable by what we believe, talk, do or what we are? I see God over and over demonstrating His love for man by the all that is provided for the saving of humans. What does He ask us to do? What is His example?

I believe it should be first and foremost, showing compassion and love towards others! That would be the identifying characteristic and one we would proclaim...out front by our lives and actions. What was it said by Jesus...if you've done all of this but do not have love....makes me wonder why we have attached so much importance about health, sabbath, end times, prophets, predictions, etc, etc, etc. What does God want???

Cart before the horse...barn door closed after the horse is out...

Here are some other identifying characteristics of the SDA Christian:

• Blameless

• Bold

• Clean

• Confident

• Faithful

• Forgiving

• Friendly

• Full of gratitude

• Full of integrity

• Full of perseverance

• Generous

• Happy

• Hard-working

• Humble

• Joyful

• Kind

• Long-suffering

• Loving

• Meek

• Merciful

• Mild

• Obedient

• Of good report

• Patient

• Peace keepers

• Peaceful

• Prayerful

• Pure

• Purpose-driven

• Respectful

• Responsible

• Righteous

• Self-controlled

• Simple

• Sociable

• Spirit-led

• Stable

• Sympathetic

• Trustworthy

• Wise

• Administrators

the word love is a contaminated word.

no one knows what agape is, unless you have sat in a bible class, or have brushed with Greek.

so we have the 1 Corinthians 13 to help us more.

When God acted in Character in the old testament, there was incredible intense war, and death. But God's character remains loving.

so when we show love to the world, only those who will see God's character will recognize the love.

Jesus talked about this when he said, you understand because my father has given you understanding. Jesus ran into this experience of loving those who would not receive or grasp that he loved them, contrasted with the miracle of those who would listen and love His words.

so love between those who know God, is a great witness and testimony of God's character. the relationship where love is being given and received is clearer. but then also love poured on those who will never receive it is also a powerful demonstration for those do love God too. It is God's character to love, regardless whether that love is received or not.

God's love is a savor of life unto life and of death unto death.

to love with God's love brings eternal consequence, through the power of the Holy Spirit.

and this love will be developed in those who stand in the faith of Jesus at the end of time.

deb

Love awakens love.

Let God be true and every man a liar.

Sometimes the person who says the church members don't HAVE love is because that same person is cold and lacking the love he is looking for in others.

If you show a little bit of empathy/compassion for others you could be surprised the outpouring of love from ones you least expect it.

One person who is hungry

for love feels warmth and tenderness from the same people another feels has no love at all.

• Members

thumbsup

phkrause

By the decree enforcing the institution of the papacy in violation of the law of God, our nation will disconnect herself fully from righteousness. When Protestantism shall stretch her hand across the gulf to grasp the hand of the Roman power, when she shall reach over the abyss to clasp hands with spiritualism, when, under the influence of this threefold union, our country shall repudiate every principle of its Constitution as a Protestant and republican government, and shall make provision for the propagation of papal falsehoods and delusions, then we may know that the time has come for the marvelous working of Satan and that the end is near. {5T 451.1}

• Administrators

Identifying characteristics, are those attributes that God sees and recognizes as his own, and then he is able to claim us as His people.

deb

Love awakens love.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderators

[To EC] Are you saying that our (SDA) identifying characteristics are self-serving?

Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocrities. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence.

Einstein

Hey Laz,

I didn't see anything in MT's post that implied that he thought SDA identifying characteristics are self-serving; I think he just said (and I unfortunately agree with him) that love is NOT an identifying characteristic of the SDA church. Look at a lot of the posts here on CA. Do you mostly feel the love and concern of brothers and sisters or the hostility and judgemental attitudes of those who disagree with you? IOW, I don't think that 1 Corinthians 13 is necessarily the favorite book of the Bible for many here.

I'm not saying that nobody here has a loving, Christ-like Spirit many do. I'm just saying that a lot of people attack others on this forum; and sometimes certain threads turn into a contest of who is the most righteous or who can post the most convoluted and complex analysis of certain passages in scripture or the SoP. I would say that in my life, two of the predominant characteristics have been self-righteousness and judgementalism. That being said - I hung in the conservative crowd for many years until I experiences the pure, furious love of Christ. I'm trying to rid myself of legalism and its by-products; and I think the church needs to lose those characteristics as well.

Just to clarify - I'm identifying what characterisitcs ( as projected to most other Christians) are currently perceived by others; not what they should be. cricket's list is a pretty exhaustive list of how we should be.

• Administrators

nice list Cricket,

i believe the SDA church has the identifying characteristics of many spiritual gifts. Spiritual gifts are placed in the church community by the Holy Spirit.

These gifts create an extraordinary community that really works.

the gifts needed, organization, music, faith, hope, discernment, hospitality, mercy, faith, hope, Love, teaching, administration, encouragement, interior design, visionaries, missionaries, healers, ministry to children, to men, to women.

deb

deb

Love awakens love.