ClubAdventist is back!

You are not under law if the Spirit is leading

Robert

Gerry, in another post, brought up Galatians 5:18 - "But if you are led by the Spirit, you are not under the Law."

What does this mean?

Well, Romans 7:6 is a good start:

"But now (having accepted Christ) we have been released from the Law, having died (in the humanity of Christ - see verse 4) to that by which we were bound (compare to verse 1), so that we serve in newness of the Spirit and not in oldness of the letter."

Notice, we are no longer under the OC, which was "obey & live", "disobey & die". Under the NC we stand perfect in Christ and as we rest in His finished work "we serve in the newness of the Spirit".

Here's Ellen White:

The terms of the “old covenant” were, Obey and live: “If a man do, he shall even live in them” (Eze. 20:11; Lev. 18:5); but “cursed be he that confirmeth not all the words of this law to do them.” (i.e., disobey & die) Deut. 27:26. The “new covenant” was established upon “better promises,”—the promise of forgiveness of sins, and of the grace of God to renew the heart, and bring it into harmony with the principles of God’s law."

Okay, let's discuss this without someone putting us back under law, which is basically living Christ life.

Gal 5:18 But if you are led by the Spirit, you are not under the Law.

19 Now the deeds of the flesh are evident, which are: immorality, impurity, sensuality, 20 idolatry, sorcery, enmities, strife, jealousy, outbursts of anger, disputes, dissensions, factions, 21 envying, drunkenness, carousing, and things like these, of which I forewarn you, just as I have forewarned you, that those who practice such things will not inherit the kingdom of God. 22 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23 gentleness, self-control ; against such things there is no law.

in REV Chap 21 verse 14 says "Blessed are those who do HIS commandments, that they may have the right to the tree of life, and may enter though the gates into the city."

But that's OC....Besides, most versions read: "Blessed are those who wash their robes, so that they may have the right to the tree of life, and may enter by the gates into the city."

The idea here is to rely on the righteousness of Christ and not our own righteousness.

Robert, you seem to always leave out the important part of the Law being in us. When it is, it has become our law so now we are not under it but are fellow upholders of it. You always shun out the importance of overcoming which is the victory each must obtain.

Some are taking your message the wrong way that one can be saved in continuing in sin and I don't believe you are saying that. Christ in us is the power over that.

"But while God can be just, and yet justify the sinner through the merits of Christ, no man can cover his soul with the garments of Christ's righteousness while practicing known sins or neglecting known duties. God requires the entire surrender of the heart, before justification can take place; and in order for man to retain justification, there must be continual obedience, through active, living faith that works by love and purifies the soul. {FW 100.1}

"Obedience to the law of God is sanctification. There are many who have erroneous ideas in regard to this work in the soul, but Jesus prayed that His disciples might be sanctified through the truth, and added, "Thy word is truth" (John 17:17). Sanctification is not an instantaneous but a progressive work, as obedience is continuous. Just as long as Satan urges his temptations upon us, the battle for self-conquest will have to be fought over and over again; but by obedience, the truth will sanctify the soul. Those who are loyal to the truth will, through the merits of Christ, overcome all weakness of character that has led them to be molded by every varying circumstance of life. {FW 85.2}

1Jo 4:4 ¶ Ye are of God, little children, and have overcome them: because greater is he that is in you, than he that is in the world.

A Freeman In Jesus Christ

Robert, you seem to always leave out the important part of the Law being in us.

God doesn't chisel out ten commands in our mind. He imbues the mind/heart with the principle of His love, agape.

Gal 5:18 But if you are led by the Spirit, you are not under the Law.

19 Now the deeds of the flesh are evident, which are: immorality, impurity, sensuality, 20 idolatry, sorcery, enmities, strife, jealousy, outbursts of anger, disputes, dissensions, factions, 21 envying, drunkenness, carousing, and things like these, of which I forewarn you, just as I have forewarned you, that those who practice such things will not inherit the kingdom of God. 22 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23 gentleness, self-control ; against such things there is no law.

Notice the phrase "those who practice such things". What is a practiced sin?

Is a practiced sin the same as a besetting sin?

No, a besetting sin is one we frequently fall into. It's like spinning your wheels and getting nowhere.

Besetting sins don't keep you our of heaven. A practiced sin does. Why? Haven't believers been delivered from under the law?

Yes! Then why does a practiced sin pull me out of grace and place me back under the curse of the law?

Robert, He may not have "chisled" out the law in my mind and heart, but it is there and is now mine too, I am with Him, we are of the same mind or something like that.

Php 2:5 Let this mind be in you, which was also in Christ Jesus:

1Jo 4:4 ¶ Ye are of God, little children, and have overcome them: because greater is he that is in you, than he that is in the world.

A Freeman In Jesus Christ

Then why does a practiced sin pull me out of grace and place me back under the curse of the law?

A practiced sin is a sin that you have made a lifestyle of and approve of as a legitimate way of life. Look at Romans 1:29

They are full of envy, murder, strife, deceit and malice. They are gossips, 30 slanderers, God-haters, insolent, arrogant and boastful; they invent ways of doing evil; they disobey their parents; 31 they are senseless, faithless, heartless, ruthless. 32 Although they know God's righteous decree that those who do such things deserve death, they not only continue to do these very things but also approve of those who practice them.

Look at Romans 1:29

They are full of envy, murder, strife, deceit and malice. They are gossips, 30 slanderers, God-haters, insolent, arrogant and boastful; they invent ways of doing evil; they disobey their parents; 31 they are senseless, faithless, heartless, ruthless. 32 Although they know God's righteous decree that those who do such things deserve death, they not only continue to do these very things but also approve of those who practice them.

Now compare:

-BC- PK

-TI- Prophets and Kings

-CN- 47

-CT- Joshua and the Angel

-PR- 02

-PG- 588

The tempter stands by to accuse them, as he stood by to resist Joshua. He points to their filthy garments, their defective characters. He presents their weakness and folly, their sins of ingratitude, their unlikeness to Christ, which has dishonored their Redeemer. He endeavors to affright them with the thought that their case is hopeless, that the stain of their defilement will never be washed away. He hopes so to destroy their faith that they will yield to his temptations, and turn from their allegiance to God.

"Are these," he says, "the people who are to take my place in heaven, and the place of the angels who united with me? They profess to obey the law of God; but have they kept its precepts? Have they not been lovers of self more than lovers of God? Have they not placed their own interests above His service? Have they not loved the things of the world? Look at the sins that have marked their lives. Behold their selfishness, their malice, their hatred of one another. Will God banish me and my angels from His presence, and yet reward those who have been guilty of the same sins? Thou canst not do this, O Lord, in justice. Justice demands that sentence be pronounced against them."

But while the followers of Christ have sinned, they have not given themselves up to be controlled by the satanic agencies. They have repented of their sins and have sought the Lord in humility and contrition, and the divine Advocate pleads in their behalf. He who has been most abused by their ingratitude, who knows their sin and also their penitence, declares: “The Lord rebuke thee, O Satan. I gave My life for these souls. They are graven upon the palms of My hands. They may have imperfections of character; they may have failed in their endeavors; but they have repented, and I have forgiven and accepted them.”