ClubAdventist is back!

Praying for others - offensive?

M. T. Cross

Can telling someone you will pray for them be offensive and rude?

Lets think about this.

Among people of like minded beliefs I imagine its not at all. I mean they worship the same God and essentially share a core belief there.

But what about when someone tells an atheist or someone of a total different philosophy that they will pray for them? I will just use myself for an example. Whether or not they would say so or not, if I was to go into the prayer request forum and tell someone there that is aware of my spiritual beliefs that I was going to pray for them, it would likely not make them feel that great. I highly doubt most people would want me praying to pagan Gods for them.

So is it different when Christians through it out there to non - christians? When they do so, do they take into account it might be violating that persons personal spirituality?

I would like to add that I am asking this just due to a conversation from elsewhere that piqued my interest, so I just wanted a Christian perspective on it.

I've always thought it rude to offer to pray for someone without first asking them if it was something they would like me to do. There are people who say to me, "I've been praying for you," and I wonder what they've been praying for. If they've been praying for something against my will--then, it is something I want happening?

I definitely think it is a violation of other's personal spirituality.

And...just think, what if non-Christians are spending their time "praying" to other gods for "my" behalf. I don't want that either!

Having someone pray for me - from any religion or no religion - really doesn't impact me in the slightest - except to think that the person is concerned for me.

Unless they move from praying to action - it really doesn't impact me.

May we be one so that the world may be won.
Christian from the cradle to the grave
I believe in Hematology.

Cricket, thats one reason I never post in the Prayer section of this board. I read it and I really feel for those people and the situation they are in, but really don't do anything. The prayers offered by me are likely not prayers they would really want.

So Woody, if I prayed to Manannan or Odin on your behalf it would not bother you at all?

Nope. It would just prove that you care for me.

I believe in Hematology.

• Administrators

I am inclined to see it as Woody does. If one is offended is it that they are afraid that person's prayer might just be answered by their god? If so, it would seem they also believe in that god enough to believe it would have the power to answer it. If an atheist truly doesn't believe there is a god it should not matter since it is an empty ritual to pray to nothing. But the person offering to pray is saying something about themselves, that they care enough to reach out to their god on your behalf. And caring for one another is a good thing.

There is another aspect of it too. Is God by any other name still God? Is God by any other belief still God? Assuming there is but one true God, does he honor the sincere prayer of one calling him by another name?

People call me Tim quite often. I know who they mean and seldom correct them. I know who they are talking to.

"Absurdity reigns and confusion makes it look good."

"Sinless perfection is such a shallow goal."

"I love God only as much as the person I love the least."

*Forgiveness is always good news. And that is the gospel truth.

(And finally, the ideas expressed above are solely my person views and not that of any organization with which I am associated.)

Hey MT,

You asked if it would bother Woody if you prayed for him to Manannan or Odin. He said no and Tom agreed with Woody. I have offered to pray to my God for you and your family. You seemed to appreciate it. Like Woody, your offers to pray for me make me feel cared for and honored.

BTW, we don't have to tell people we're praying for them. God can answer my prayers whether or not the person being prayed for knows about it.

• Administrators

Hmm...

Like Cricket, I tend to ask permission if I was to tell the person that I would pray for them. Otherwise I just do the praying and don't tell them. What transpires in my private talks with God is in the closet (or written in my prayer journal).

Cricket, would you mind telling me what your objection would be (for clarification)?

It seems to me that a couple of scenarios could happen spiritually. It could be that it's like the NT prohibition against food dedicated to idols. Paul (or whoever it was) had no problem with it because he thought that there was no such thing as gods other than Yahweh and to him the issue was moot. But the Gentile believers were admonished not to support or even have the appearance of supporting gods that they had renounced.

I personally believe that there will be some true believers among the heathen, that their hearts will be crying out to God and their lives reflect that. God knows hearts and judges hearts and doesn't see as we see. But that is JMHO.

If a non-Christian prays to a non-Christian god, I think like Woody. If a Christian prays to a non-Christian god, I would have some questions.

Isaiah 32:17 And the work of righteousness shall be peace; and the effect of righteousness quietness and assurance for ever.

• Administrators

happyhug

Isaiah 32:17 And the work of righteousness shall be peace; and the effect of righteousness quietness and assurance for ever.

Hey cricket,

I know you were "speaking" to Gail in your last post; but I want to encourage your dialog - no apologies necessary. I think the issues you raised were quite valid. To be honest, it's pretty much just the past few years that I've been comfortable with other people asking to pray for me. Before that, I looked at it as a "power move" that someone might use to reinforce the fact that they were "better connected" to God than I am (i.e., "obviously, God doesn't listen to your prayers cuz you still got this problem. He listens to mine, so I'll take care of things for you.

On accepting prayer from non-Christians, I look at it as "it can't hurt". Whenever I have asked non-Christians if I could pray for them, They have pretty much said "yes" (sometimes the "yes" was more like "go wild" or "eat till you bust") I decided if pagans will empower me to shower God's blessings upon them, I should respond in kind. I never ask athiests, cuz I do think that would insult them.

I do think how you pray with/for another can either add to or detract from the potential blessing involved. If my prayer is "God, please forgive this unbelieving sinner and grant them grace and insight to stop their rebellion and submit to your will so they can go to heaven just like me", there's not much blessing in that - only judgement and insult.

• Administrators

Yep- no offense taken at all! :)

• Administrators

EC I recall that some months ago you asked if I would be offended if you offered a prayer for my daughter. I thought it was very kind and thoughtful of you to ask: I was honored that you cared enough to do so. I do believe that no matter what our core belief system may be that to ask permission to pray for an individual is the polite and proper thing to do; exception being when they have requested prayer.

If your dreams are not big enough to scare you, they are not big enough for God

• Members

I'm not sure I've ever heard a person say that they thought it offensive that someone wanted to pray for them. I only know of one person that I've asked if I could pray for them, that said No! Besides most people we pray for, probably don't know that you are praying for them. Jesus tells us that we should pray for each other.

phkrause

By the decree enforcing the institution of the papacy in violation of the law of God, our nation will disconnect herself fully from righteousness. When Protestantism shall stretch her hand across the gulf to grasp the hand of the Roman power, when she shall reach over the abyss to clasp hands with spiritualism, when, under the influence of this threefold union, our country shall repudiate every principle of its Constitution as a Protestant and republican government, and shall make provision for the propagation of papal falsehoods and delusions, then we may know that the time has come for the marvelous working of Satan and that the end is near. {5T 451.1}

Hey all - just a friendly reminder that this is a No Quote Zone. :)

Now that might not be an original thought - but I thought of posting it. lol

I believe in Hematology.

• Administrators

Fixed!! :)

• Members

That's not very original Woody. LOL

phkrause

By the decree enforcing the institution of the papacy in violation of the law of God, our nation will disconnect herself fully from righteousness. When Protestantism shall stretch her hand across the gulf to grasp the hand of the Roman power, when she shall reach over the abyss to clasp hands with spiritualism, when, under the influence of this threefold union, our country shall repudiate every principle of its Constitution as a Protestant and republican government, and shall make provision for the propagation of papal falsehoods and delusions, then we may know that the time has come for the marvelous working of Satan and that the end is near. {5T 451.1}

Some time after my mother had a serious stroke her catholic neighbor sent her a card and told her that she had lit a candle for her.

It really touched mom and myself as well. She was an older woman and it would take an effort and money to do that for my mom. I can't help thinking God related to that sincere response the neighbor made.

Thats an awesome story Ellen!

Thing is though, that is the same God.

If her neighbor had lit a candle and prayed to Bridget for healing for your mother, would she have felt the same way?

I am not familiar with Bridget. This lady has been a very good friend to mom as a neighbor, mowed her lawn when she was unable. Any outpouring of love by her would have been taken in the right spirit. We were both touched by it.

• 3 months later...

The power of prayer is understood differently in different belief systems, but all the systems with which I'm familiar -- and that includes paganism, EmptyCross -- agree that prayer is "thought directed positively", and that positive intent has a power to affect outcomes. People phrase this idea differently and understand it differently -- some see it as a petition to a higher power from a position of no power at all; others see it as a cooperation between a higher power for good and one's own smaller power for good; and a few see it as simply a force of nature like electricity, directed by mind. Interestingly, all the belief systems with which I'm familiar hold the notion that the more people who participate in the prayer, the more powerfully it works. Thus we have prayer wheels and group meditation.

But I diverge from the question. I love for people to pray for me, whatever their belief system as long as they aren't trying to manipulate me. If you pray for me to become like you, I will be less enthusiastic about it. But if you pray that I continue to experience the love of God on my journey through life, with good health and happiness, I am delighted for this prayer in my behalf.

• Members
thumbsup

phkrause