ClubAdventist is back!

Praying for others - offensive?

M. T. Cross

• Administrators

we really cannot judge others, and we do not see how God sees them. we only look at what the human eye can see.

i have come to believe will meet people in heaven who do not know the name of Jesus, and know nothing of scripture, but God saw their response to the Holy Spirit, and saw they would love to be in heaven. This includes people of any and every culture, philosophy, social system, and religion or non religion.

apparently anyone who wants to be in heaven, who will be happy living with God forever will get to be there.

the only people excluded will be those who will not be happy living there forever.

we cannot judge another person's prayers for the same reason.

The thief on the cross prayed, and was assured of heaven, i would have said oh ya there is another fox hole prayer.... this doesn't prove he loves God.

the rich young ruler who lived such an exemplary life i would have said, he does so well, he is so successful surely it is so apparent God's blessing is with him. i would likely much rather have had the company of the rich young ruler then a common thief condemned to die. but Jesus saw it differently.

i have not had the experience of someone offering to pray for me, or asking if i want them to pray for me in a condescending way.

i have experienced people acting and talking to me in ways that expressed they were spiritually superior. i have challenged them too. but the only result was for me to take myself and my feelings to God, and ask Him to help them. i was unable to say or do anything else that helped our relationship. But i had full hope God could help them. He has certainly been a dependable source of help for me.

once a person is convinced they are superior and you are inferior, second class citizen, damaged, or whatever category that is lesser, they will not really be influenced by anything you do or say.

i believe God can speak through anyone. Not because they are holy or not, because God is able to communicate at anytime in anyway he chooses.

deb

Love awakens love.

Let God be true and every man a liar.

• Members

I would prefer someone ask me if I would mind if prayer was offered on my behalf... otherwise, it seems like doing/saying something involving me behind my back.. I'm not too keen on that type of thing.

Also, when I was a pagan, my prayers to the goddess in reference to some persons were not always in their best interests - they were in *my* best interests. Very self-serving, I confess..

Pam     coffeecomputer.GIF   

Meddle Not In the Affairs of Dragons; for You Are Crunchy and Taste Good with Ketchup.

If we all sang the same note in the choir, there'd never be any harmony.

Funny, isn't it, how we accept Grace for ourselves and demand justice for others?

• Moderators

What would happen if we made it a rule that, whenever we pray for someone, we require ourselves to *also* do something practical, tangible to help? Because praying for someone, important and valuable as it is, can also be the 'easy out' that stops us raising our hand to ease another's burden.

Truth is important

I really like Bravus' suggestion. It reminds me of a conversation I had with a new acquaintance who had just discovered I didn't go to church. She went on and on about why I should. I finally said to her, "I do appreciate your concern for my soul, but it doesn't feel very personal. I understand why people feel that it is their duty to witness and pray for me, but let me tell you what makes the biggest impression -- someone who has shown themselves to be a true friend to me. If I experience that you truly care for me -- not just my soul -- then perhaps in time, I will want to know about the faith that influences you to live as you do."

It also reminds me of the Christmas letters I used to receive once a year from an aunt who had loved me dearly when I was a child, but after I grew up had little more to give me than a Christmas letter filled with generic sermons and Bible texts. There is nothing so lonely! Well, maybe there is, but that is up there with the great lonelinesses. One year I wrote her a letter, saying how much more I needed her presence in my life than a sermon, but I never mailed it. Later, I discovered that there was much more happening in her life than I was aware of. She literally had nothing more to give because she was stressed to the max with situations I didn't know about. Praying for me was all she COULD do for me in those years.

So I guess my response is two sides to Bravus' comment. If you can, give more than prayer. If you can't give more, then you can still give a prayer.

• Administrators

I enjoy using prayer cards and pass them out at every opportunity. They way mine work is that you list 5 names that you pray for every day, for as long as it takes. They do not know you are praying for them. However, once a week you must do something thoughtful ... a short phone call, card, an unsigned but inspirational card in the mail ... keep it simple, loving and consistent. Don't give up!!!

Of course, if it is someone you know and they have a special need then by all means, if possible, assist. But the prayer is still private between you and God.

If your dreams are not big enough to scare you, they are not big enough for God

• Administrators

YES!!!

We seldom can see all around the mountain

If your dreams are not big enough to scare you, they are not big enough for God

• 1 month later...

My husband is a Chiropractor and patients have prayed for him in the adjusting room. He was blessed by it. Some were lay people some clergy, all non-Aventist.

We pray for our patients and tell them so, often.

I recall a few years ago as I was going into surgery, the doctor was a woman who was Muslim by birth. She asked if she could pray for me, and I told her that I would consider it an honor and thanked her.

I often pray for people that the Holy Spirit calls to my mind. I also pray for the people that live in this mountain community, for the leaders of our country, state, county and 'city'. I pray for doctors, OR staff etc days and weeks ahead of time. I don't ask permission.

When I donate blood, I ask the Lord to bless the people that finds themselves in need of my gift of life, after all Jesus gave his blood for me.

Wakan Tanka Kici Un

~~Child of Christ~~

Stan, there are a lot of times when prayer is the only option. But I also believe that God helps those who roll up their sleeves and puts in sweat equity.

Wakan Tanka Kici Un

~~Child of Christ~~

Fair enough CoC, but as a Muslim she is praying to the same God you pray too. Now what if your Doctor and been a Heathen and asked if she could pray to Freyja for you?

• Administrators

the prayer hearing higher beings will be able to easily sort out the prayers, and the faith, and the love. angels included for some of us who believe that are involved in our higher life.

Jesus heard the unspoken longing of the heart as a prayer, he didn't have to have formal bowing closing eyes, and proper form.

the faith of the woman who touched the hem of his robe in a jostling crowd was immediately known.

what qualifies as prayers not attended, unrecognized, are those which are selfish, he does nothing to empower our selfishness. unselfish prayers reach the heart of the unselfish God.

deb

Love awakens love.

Let God be true and every man a liar.

• Members
thumbsup

phkrause

By the decree enforcing the institution of the papacy in violation of the law of God, our nation will disconnect herself fully from righteousness. When Protestantism shall stretch her hand across the gulf to grasp the hand of the Roman power, when she shall reach over the abyss to clasp hands with spiritualism, when, under the influence of this threefold union, our country shall repudiate every principle of its Constitution as a Protestant and republican government, and shall make provision for the propagation of papal falsehoods and delusions, then we may know that the time has come for the marvelous working of Satan and that the end is near. {5T 451.1}