ClubAdventist is back!

Kindness is a lot of things.

cricket

Manners, etiquette and courtesy do not abide by geographical boundaries, caste systems, societal status; nor are they contingent upon racial, gender, creed, mentality or physicality differences.

• Administrators
:like:

Isaiah 32:17 And the work of righteousness shall be peace; and the effect of righteousness quietness and assurance for ever.

EmptyCross, I agree completely! I thought I'd included religion though. Is creed not the same thing? Or, is it different to a substantial degree? (Honest question here.)

Now that you mention it, I am not sure. A creed I think is more like a personal worldview and mantra kind of thing. I could be wrong though.

That's an excellent thought Cricket, but hmmm, it may not be entirely true, depending on how you look at it. Culture greatly affects what is polite. In some cultures, for instance, it is a horrific and unthinkable act to eat with your left hand because -- well anyway, I want to be polite so won't get into the reason why. In some cultures it is unthinkable to touch someone's head, a total act of dishonor. And there are many more like taboos that very widely from area to area. The Wycliffe translators spend a great deal of training on the non-linguistic pursuit of studying how to quickly discover the way to be culturally sensitive. However, if we mean by politeness, that successful humanity cares about what IS polite--that's true. Good manners means trying to honor each other, to go to great lengths to show courtesy. That goal does not vary from culture to culture when the heart is love-filled.

more later

Empty Cross, hey, we are getting into an area that often brings offense when we speak of the differences in religious creeds! The reason is that the very essence of who you are is what you worship--and how. Since change for the positive is part of every religious system's goals, though, is it possibly possible to ruminate upon such things anyway, without offense? And how far do we politely go to say things like "The theological bridge is out just around this corner!"

more later

• Administrators

i read somewhere that true religion was sincerity itself.

so i think... this would make people who are sincerely kind very religious, even if they had no interest in religion or exposure of preference of any kind.

deb

Love awakens love.

Let God be true and every man a liar.

Both Christian and non-Christian holy writing talks about esteeming others more than ourselves. Isn't that what kindness, manners, politeness, and courtesy is all about? If we honor a benevolent deity, we should automatically honor each other. That doesn't necessarily mean that we roll over and agree with everyone else on everything. We can honor each other, even in disagreement. Theology should not even enter into the equation. We should endeavor treat everyone with equal respect and honor. Period. It may be splitting hairs, but I would say that true "spirituality" rather than "religion" is sincerity itself. Whenever I think of "religion", I think of "denomination".

debbym, I have met, both in person and online, an individual who was sincere in their religious pursuit of truth. This person was sincere when they worshiped God; sincere when they worshiped Satan; and sincere when they entirely gave up on belief in any sort of supernatural ruler/creator. All the while, that person was the kindest, most sincere and thoughtful person I've ever known.

• Administrators

I am so glad God sees the heart, and this person is not in any way under God's condemnation for their religious changes.

How wonderful they are able to remain sincere and kind, this is a great blessing to them.

Some people came to Jesus and said, when did we do good, and Jesus said something like, when you do it for the weakest person you have done it to me.

perhaps this person will have a great reward when Jesus comes.

deb

Love awakens love.

• Administrators

I think a creed is something like a mission statement.

it is as brief as possible and is a set of statements that will preserve the purpose and the defining positions of the organizers,

so that the organization will be able to continue to be understood and maintained after those who created it will have passed from the scene.

i believe it is about self perpetuation from generation to generation.

and to be able to survive the generation gap is what makes the wording so important. it tries to capture the timeless rather then the timely.

deb

Love awakens love.

I think that's what "a" creed is, true. But sometimes "creed" is used to denote religious affiliation, isn't it? That's what I was intending to say in the original post.

• Administrators

yes a creed is for unifying all who are agreed to it, and it is a point of accountability.

If you shift from it, you can be brought back to it and either conform or disassociate from that organization.

we do not have a creed, as a creed is used to forcibly unify, rather then unity coming from the Spirit within.

deb

Love awakens love.

I think I'm not being clear. Unfortunately, I cannot describe better what I am intending to say (re: "a creed" vs. "creed"), so I'll just leave this thread as it is.