ClubAdventist is back!

I'm having trouble with this SOP comment

Restin

Quote: "It is left with us to remedy the defects in our characters, to cleanse the soul temple of every defilement. Then the latter rain will fall upon us as the early rain fell upon the disciples on the Day of Pentecost" 5T p.214

So, which is it: Salvation by obedience to Sister White, or salvation by faith in Jesus Christ?

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• BobRyan

• Woody

• Kevin H

• LifeHiscost

Salvation by Faith in Jesus Christ sounds better to me.

May we be one so that the world may be won.
Christian from the cradle to the grave
I believe in Hematology.

Quote: "It is left with us to remedy the defects in our characters, to cleanse the soul temple of every defilement. Then the latter rain will fall upon us as the early rain fell upon the disciples on the Day of Pentecost" 5T p.214

So, which is it: Salvation by obedience to Sister White, or salvation by faith in Jesus Christ?

Restin, is there more to this quote? I don't have 5T p.214. Can you link to it somewhere online? I'd like to read the rest of the words surrounding that statement.

So which is it - salvation by listening to the messages God sends us through His Holy Spirit ?? or blindly supposing like those in Laodicea that they are just about right when in fact there is a huge problem right under their noses?

How about EW 71?

Are you thinking that it would be easier to comply with 1John 3:4-12?

Or 2Peter 3:11-14?

Recall what Paul said in 1Cor 7:19 "what matters is keeping the Commandments of God".

For we are told in scripture that the saints are those who "KEEP the Commandments of God AND hold their faith in Jesus" Rev 14:12.

in Christ,

Bob

John 8:32 - The Truth will make you free

“The righteousness of Christ will not cover one cherished sin." COL 316.

That tiny quote you gave from 5T - is not nearly telling half of the problem for the Laodicean - more of that quote would be helpful.

Quote:

By their lack of devotion and piety, and their failure to reach a high religious standard, they make other souls contented with their position. Men of finite judgment cannot see that in patterning after these men who have so often opened to them the treasures of God’s word, they will surely endanger their souls. Jesus is the only true pattern. Everyone must now search the Bible for himself upon his knees before God, with the humble, teachable heart of a child, if he would know what the Lord requires of him. However high any minister may have stood in the favor of God, if he neglects to follow out the light given him of God, if he refuses to be taught as a little child, he will go into darkness and satanic delusions and will lead others in the same path. {5T 214.1}

Not one of us will ever receive the seal of God while our characters have one spot or stain upon them. It is left with us to remedy the defects in our characters, to cleanse the soul temple of every defilement. Then the latter rain will fall upon us as the early rain fell upon the disciples on the Day of Pentecost. {5T 214.2}

We are too easily satisfied with our attainments. We feel rich and increased with goods and know not that we are “wretched, and miserable, and poor, and blind, and naked.” Now is the time to heed the admonition of the True Witness: “I counsel thee to buy of Me gold tried in the fire, that thou mayest be rich; and white raiment, that thou mayest be clothed, and that the shame of thy nakedness do not appear; and anoint thine eyes with eyesalve, that thou mayest see.” {5T 214.3}

In this life we must meet fiery trials and make costly sacrifices, but the peace of Christ is the reward. There has been so little self-denial, so little suffering for Christ’s sake, that the cross is almost entirely forgotten. We must be partakers with Christ of His sufferings if we would sit down in triumph with Him on His throne. So long as we choose the easy path of self-indulgence and are frightened at self-denial, our faith will never become firm, and we cannot know the peace of Jesus nor the joy that comes through conscious victory. The most exalted of the redeemed host that stand before the throne of God and the Lamb, clad in white, know the conflict of overcoming, for they have come up through great tribulation. Those who have yielded to circumstances rather than engage in this conflict will not know how to stand in that day when anguish will be upon every soul, when, though Noah, Job, and Daniel were in the land, they could save neither son nor daughter, for everyone must deliver his soul by his own righteousness. {5T 215.1}

No one need say that his case is hopeless, that he cannot live the life of a Christian. Ample provision is made by the death of Christ for every soul. Jesus is our ever-present help in time of need. Only call upon Him in faith, and He has promised to hear and answer your petitions. {5T 215.2}

Oh, for a living, active faith! We need it; we must have it, or we shall faint and fail in the day of trial. The darkness that will then rest upon our path must not discourage us or drive us to despair. It is the veil with which God covers His glory when He comes to impart rich blessings. We should know this by our past experience. In that day when God has a controversy with His people this experience will be a source of comfort and hope. {5T 215.3}

As I mentioned before - EW 71.

Quote:

I also saw that many do not realize what they must be in order to live in the sight of the Lord without a high priest in the sanctuary through the time of trouble. Those who receive the seal of the living God and are protected in the time of trouble must reflect the image of Jesus fully. {EW 71.1}

I saw that many were neglecting the preparation so needful and were looking to the time of “refreshing” and the “latter rain” to fit them to stand in the day of the Lord and to live in His sight. Oh, how many I saw in the time of trouble without a shelter! They had neglected the needful preparation; therefore they could not receive the refreshing that all must have to fit them to live in the sight of a holy God. Those who refuse to be hewed by the prophets and fail to purify their souls in obeying the whole truth, and who are willing to believe that their condition is far better than it really is, will come up to the time of the falling of the plagues, and then see that they needed to be hewed and squared for the building. But there will be no time then to do it and no Mediator to plead their cause before the Father. Before this time the awfully solemn declaration has gone forth, “He that is unjust, let him be unjust still: and he which is filthy, let him be filthy still: and he that is righteous, let him be righteous still: and he that is holy, let him be holy still.” I saw that none could share the “refreshing” unless they obtain the victory over every besetment, over pride, selfishness, love of the world, and over every wrong word and action. We should, therefore, be drawing nearer and nearer to the Lord and be earnestly seeking that preparation necessary to enable us to stand in the battle in the day of the Lord. Let all remember that God is holy and that none but holy beings can ever dwell in His presence. {EW 71.2}

• Administrators

the bottom line is, we love God as much as we love those we like the least. how feeble is our love for God.

deb

Love awakens love.

Let God be true and every man a liar.

So, I've tried and tried to become a perfect SDA for years. But, (among other things) I'm still 20 lbs. overweight after trying not to be every day, and that is a sin because I haven't mastered appetite perfectly.

The quotes from SOP above seem to mean that I'm not a spotless, perfect human being until I'm not one speck too much or too little of anything. How can you know when you've reached absolute perfection anyway..? There must be some of you SDA out there who have now reached perfection and can describe to the rest of us what all it is.

BTW, I'm not being a bit facetious here, and have worried seriously over this topic lately.

Quote:
Not one of us will ever receive the seal of God while our characters have one spot or stain upon them. It is left with us to remedy the defects in our characters, to cleanse the soul temple of every defilement. Then the latter rain will fall upon us as the early rain fell upon the disciples on the Day of Pentecost. {5T 214.2}

And

Quote:

Rev. 7:2-4 (NIV): Then I saw another angel coming up from the east, having the seal of the living God. He called out in a loud voice to the four angels who had been given power to harm the land and the sea: “Do not harm the land or the sea or the trees until we put a seal on the foreheads of the servants of our God.” Then I heard the number of those who were sealed: 144,000 from all the tribes of Israel.

Seems to me that since none have yet received the seal of God, none must be perfect yet.

So, I've tried and tried to become a perfect SDA for years. But, (among other things) I'm still 20 lbs. overweight after trying not to be every day, and that is a sin because I haven't mastered appetite perfectly.

The quotes from SOP above seem to mean that I'm not a spotless, perfect human being until I'm not one speck too much or too little of anything. How can you know when you've reached absolute perfection anyway..? There must be some of you SDA out there who have now reached perfection and can describe to the rest of us what all it is.

BTW, I'm not being a bit facetious here, and have worried seriously over this topic lately.

With all respect - it sounds like the Devil has you right where he wants you - looking at your sins.

I believe in Hematology.

Dear Restin,

God bless you for your sensitive spirit! Your post just resonated with fear:

Quote:

Our God is not a God of fear; He is a God of love! When He was suffering for each of us on the cross, Jesus saw the struggle that you, I, and all others have - and He still thought we were worth dying for! Perfection is the journey- it's not the end of the journey! We cannot, by our own efforts ever be good enough! The love of God and the power of His grace (unmerited favor) are the only things that make us fit for heaven. It's not what we do that makes us fir for the Kingdom - it's what Christ has already done!

Don't allow the lies of the evil one and the control tactics of a denomination intimidate you into fearful retreat or self-condemnation. Fear empowers satan the same way that love and faith empower God. Christ said:

“Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. 29 Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. 30 For my yoke is easy and my burden is light.”

(Matt. 11:28)

Are you weary? Are you tired of trying and trying every day; and fearing that you don't measure up? You are saved not because of what you've done - but because of who HE is! It's not because of who you are, It's because of what HE'S done! Jesus didn't die to give you a chance to make yourself valuable to Him; He died because you were already valuable to Him - valuable beyong anything you could imagine!

Father God, Wrap your loving arms around Restin, pour Your love straight into his heart. Show Him how much He is loved! Send Your Holy Spirit over him to rain grace on him! Show Him just how much of a beloved son he is. Restin has strived long enough, Father! Take him onto your lap; let him sleep against your chest; listening to the beat of Your heart of love. Let Him rest in your glory, grace, and love. Thanks, Dad!

Originally Posted By: Restin

Restin, is there more to this quote? I don't have 5T p.214. Can you link to it somewhere online? I'd like to read the rest of the words surrounding that statement.

Cricket,

I can't copy this over from my Kindle, but I can give some context the statement is found in.

The paragraph at the top of p. 214 starts with the last sentence in p. 213: "Not all who profess to keep the Sabbath will be sealed."

p. 214 starts off with: "There are many even among those who teach the truth to others who will not receive the seal of God in their foreheads. They had the light of the truth, they knew thier Master's will, they understood every point of our faith, but they had not corresponding works. These who were so familiar with prophecy and the treasures of divine wisdom should have acted their faith"

After some "should have done's" and "lack of devotion's", she continues with "Jesus is the only true pattern. Everyone must now search the Bible for himself upon his knees before God, with the humble, teachable heart of a child, if he would know what the Lord requires of him."

The next sentence warns that no matter how high the minister stands before God, refusing to be taught as a child will inevitably send that person down the path in to darkness and delusion.

Then, the paragraph is where the sentence of interest is found (I have bolded it):

"Not one of us will ever receive the seal of God while our characters have one spot or stain on them. It is left with us to remedy the defects in our characters, to cleanse the soul temple of every defilement. Then the latter rain will fall upon us as the early rain fell upon the disciples on the Day of Pentecost."

Continuing into the next paragraph:

"We are too easily satisifed with our attainments. We feel rich, and increased with goods, and know not that we are 'wretched, and miserable, and poor, and blind, and naked.' Now is the time to heed the admonition of the True Witness: 'I counsel thee to buy of Me gold tried in the fire, that thou mayest be rich; and white raiment, that thou mayest be clothed, and that the shame of your nakedness do not appear; and anoint thine eyes with eyesalve, that thou mayest see.'"

The context of those two sentences is the idea that having the head knowledge of all these deep things of the Word, and communicating these to others, constitutes the pathway of the Remnant. EGW says emphatically it does not. Rather, it is these things which make us feel "rich and increased with goods", little realizing these things make us only more accountable - wretched, miserable, naked, and blind - if we viewed them truthfully. We search the Scriptures, thinking in them we have eternal life...and yet bypass the very testimony of Christ He is giving. Isn't one of the earmarks of the Remnant - holding to the testimony of Christ?

The remedying of our defects of character is in the context of our taking action upon what the Lord instructs us to do, and not in our efforts to be "perfect in behavior". Our work is not in figuring out all the light God has for us in the 28 fundamental beliefs, nor yet again knowing the most up-to-date methods of communicating prophecy and the Gospel - it is humbling our souls before God, accepting the instruction God lays before us, then having faith to convert that instruction into positive action.

A good Scripture passage illustrating this might be John 5:30-40.

Interestingly, Ellen puts the seal of God in the reference point of the Day of Pentecost. Acts 1:12-14 gives us the preparation the disciples did for that - being of one accord ('like mind" in some versions) and devotion to prayer. Peter's efforts in 1:15-26 would indicate they were trying to align themselves with God's Word, removing whatever situation which was out of harmony with their understanding of what God instructed them to do.

Were they "perfect" men and women come Pentecost? Absolutely not. Were they in harmony with God's Word? Yes, they were. This appears to be what EGW is speaking to in her passage in question.

Hope this helps...

Blessings,

"As iron sharpens iron, so also does one man sharpen another" - Proverbs 27:17

"The offense of the cross is that the cross is a confession of human frailty and sin and of inability to do any good thing. To take the cross of Christ means to depend solely on Him for everything, and this is the abasement of all human pride. Men love to fancy themselves independent. But let the cross be preached, let it be made known that in man dwells no good thing and that all must be received as a gift, and straightway someone is offended." Ellet J. Waggoner, The Glad Tidings

"Courage is being scared to death - and saddling up anyway" - John Wayne

"The person who pays an ounce of principle for a pound of popularity gets badly cheated" - Ronald Reagan

Hey Restin, I've been where you are, not to long ago. I know there is nothing so terrible as when you see how sinful and helpless you are. Like Paul in Romans 7. My whole life I was a very strong self sufficient, maybe even arrogant person. I need no one or nothing, I could do whatever I needed myself. I prayed and asked God to humble me about 8 years ago and what a painful 8 years it has been. God basically had to reduce me to being penniless without my old means of making money due to back problems now as I get older. During this time I had such struggles with sin that I can't describe the mental torture. I would sin and beg forgiveness knowing that tomorrow I would do the same thing again. At my lowest point I came very close to committing suicide just to get the misery of this life over with and hurry my judgement up. Get it over with if you will. Once I got where I knew I was helpless in every area of my life, spiritually, financially and my physical abilities drastically diminished from a few years ago, I finally admitted that I needed help. My huge struggle was with chewing tobacco. I knew God could not bring me closer to Him when I was putting poison into my body. I struggled for months and months with it. Finally one day I decided I wanted to try and quit again and prayed and told God that when I finished that can I was going to quit. He shot right back at me, why when that can is empty, why not now? I went out and threw the can in the river and thank God that was my last chew of tobacco. I am not sure why but that was a big turning point for me. Since then overcoming things isn't as hard as the initial struggle with tobacco. The closer I come to God the more of my sins He weeds out. Yes I still am tempted at times, so tempted that I feel like a helpless infant. When this happens I just fall to my knees and plead for God's help... and He helps every time. It has been my experience that instead of focusing on my sins which brings depression and remorse, I try to concentrate on becoming closer to God. To be His friend better each day. Overcoming sin is not about clenching your fists and overcoming. It is about admitting to God you want to do the sin and telling Him you want to follow Him and not satan, ask Him to change your desires. It is about choosing not about overcoming, so to speak. You choose God and He gives you self control. When you do this it allows Him to come in and really clean your life out and give you a new heart. Some things will be a struggle but many things you now have so much trouble with suddenly just lose their glamor and you just don't want them anymore. I would encourage you to stop looking at your sins and look at Jesus. He is the only solution to your problem. Ask Him to teach you how to love like He does. Are we to overcome all our shortcomings? Of course the Bible is very clear on this point... but unless you do it because you love God so much that you don't want to do anything to hurt Him it is pointless. Paul says you can giver your body to be burned and still be lost without love. I can't stress enough your only help out of this torture is a close personal relationship with Jesus. As the great old hymn says, "turn your eyes upon Jesus, look full in His wonderful face, and the things of earth will grow strangely dim, in the light of His glory and grace."

Thy word is a lamp to my feet

• Moderators

Here's a quote that may raise your spirit from the same author that seems to be getting you down.

When it is in the heart to obey God, when efforts are put forth to this end, Jesus accepts this disposition and effort as man's best service, and He makes up for the deficiency with His own divine merit. But He will not accept those who claim to have faith in Him and yet are disloyal to His Father's commandment. We hear a great deal about faith, but we need to hear a great deal more about works. Many are deceiving their own souls by living an easy-going, accommodating, crossless religion. {FW 50.1}

BTW, I have yet to read anywhere having to make a choice between obedience to EGW and faith in Jesus Christ.

Quote:

Neither!

"For by grace you have been saved through faith; and that not of yourselves, it is the gift of God... Salvation is not a reward for the good things we have done, so none of us can boast about it."

Ephesians 2:8,9 NASB, NLT

God blesses! peace

Lift Jesus up!!

Quote:

Neither!

"For by grace you have been saved through faith; and that not of yourselves, it is the gift of God"

Ephesians 2:8 NASB

God blesses! peace

Excellent. And I firmly believe that if EGW was here - she would be the first to say for you to just toss her aside if she was a stumbling block for you.

I believe in Hematology.

Quote:

Hey Restin, I've been where you are, not to long ago. I know there is nothing so terrible as when you see how sinful and helpless you are.

And there is no peace that passes understanding like the peace we receive with the fulfillment of this promise.

"If we [freely] admit that we have sinned and confess our sins, He is faithful and just (true to His own nature and promises) and will forgive our sins [dismiss our lawlessness] and [continuously] cleanse us from all unrighteousness [everything not in conformity to His will in purpose, thought, and action]."1 John 1:9 AMP brackets Parenthesis their's LHC

And it helps to realize the part the indwelling Spirit of God does for those who invite Him into their lives.

Wherefore, my beloved, as ye have always obeyed, not as in my presence only, but now much more in my absence, work out your own salvation with fear and trembling.

For it is God which worketh in you both to will and to do of his good pleasure.Philippians 2:12-14 KJV

God blesses, Restin. Keep looking up! peace

Lift Jesus up!!

The desire to pronounce one's self "done" - to claim perfection "over one's self" and to have "graduated" - done with the task - "so now give me the next project please" - leads to the problem you are experiencing above - and results in rejection of the warnings God sends His people through His prophets.

If you cannot pronounce perfection over your self - then just sit back satisfied with life as it is - and suppose that Jesus told you to ignore the messages He sent you through His prophets.

Andy Stanley has a sermon on the Ten Commandments. When He comes to the 3rd commandment about not taking God's name in vain - he says that one way this happens is that Christians will imagine some way to get around one or the other of God's commandments - and then claim that God told them to do it. They will claim the name of God - on behalf of a life of rebellion - saying that this is what God told them to do.

But instead of God telling us to rebel against Him and ignore the messages that come from His prophets whenever such a message cuts across one of our preferences - God tells us in Rev 3 He calls us to "Wake up" and be warned away from our danger.

In Romans 7 Paul describes the problem of choosing not to sin with his mind - but then seeing sin "in my members" that is "at war with the law of my mind".

In Romans 8 Paul tells us that the unsaved heart "does not submit to the law of God - neither indeed CAN it".

But in that same chapter Paul tells us that we are "by the Spirit to put to death the deeds of the flesh" and that "AS" we do that we ALSO experience the Holy Spirit "Witnessing WITH our spirit that WE ARE the children of God".

Notice that the Holy Spirit is not witnessing with our spirit "that we have graduated from not sinning class and are perfect - so no need to keep putting to death the deeds of the flesh" - even though that is precisely what the sinful nature would want us to do.

in Christ,

Bob

Here is a quote that helped me a lot, hope it helps you also.

Quote:
Many are inquiring, “How am I to make the surrender of myself to God?” You desire to give yourself to Him, but you are weak in moral power, in slavery to doubt, and controlled by the habits of your life of sin. Your promises and resolutions are like ropes of sand. You cannot control your thoughts, your impulses, your affections. The knowledge of your broken promises and forfeited pledges weakens your confidence in your own sincerity, and causes you to feel that God cannot accept you; but you need not despair. What you need to understand is the true force of the will. This is the governing power in the nature of man, the power of decision, or of choice. Everything depends on the right action of the will. The power of choice God has given to men; it is theirs to exercise. You cannot change your heart, you cannot of yourself give to God its affections; but you can choose to serve Him. You can give Him your will; He will then work in you to will and to do according to His good pleasure. Thus your whole nature will be brought under the control of the Spirit of Christ; your affections will be centered upon Him, your thoughts will be in harmony with Him. {SC 47.1}

Desires for goodness and holiness are right as far as they go; but if you stop here, they will avail nothing. Many will be lost while hoping and desiring to be Christians. They do not come to the point of yielding the will to God. They do not now choose to be Christians. {SC 47.2}

Through the right exercise of the will, an entire change may be made in your life. By yielding up your will to Christ, you ally yourself with the power that is above all principalities and powers. You will have strength from above to hold you steadfast, and thus through constant surrender to God you will be enabled to live the new life, even the life of faith. {SC 48.1}

Thy word is a lamp to my feet

• Moderators

Mrs. White always struggled with her weight. Mrs. White tells us that it took her about 30 years before she completely gave up meat. If you keep looking at the trend or Mrs. White, her message has been one of avoiding the two extreams of being hard on yourself and others, yet not giving up. There is a view of love that says "everything if fine as it is" and a view of love that encourages the best. Mrs. White supported the second view. James White complained about how there were some who Mrs. White was instructed to write quite sharply to because of where they were, but how others were clinging on her every word and making her starper comments the norm to try to enforce on everyone else and themselves instead of them dealing with one extream.

Mrs. White saw a big difference between say those struggling with the health message, and those who simply would give up and not worry about it.

The editors of "Messages to Young People" later made confessions on how they were not in the best spirit when they compiled that book, that they were going through a period of frustration with youth and focused on strong sayings leaving out too many of the ballancing statements. According to a couple of my writings of Ellen White professors, a number of statements in MYP came from letters that included phrases such as "Now this is ok for a young person, but not for someone your age" And even without a line like that how the letters were full of warmth, encouragement, family news, some humor, the consern, and an appeal to trust in Jesus. The editors of MYP later in life said that they left out too much of the warmth and the appeal to trust in Jesus and focused too much on the consern.

We will find these strong statements, but remember she ballances these with others. As we read Mrs. White we want to avoid doing in our reading what the editors of MYP appologized for doing.

Also her statement is looking at the latter rain. Let's take a look at what lead to Penticost. You have a group of disciples, still over 10 years before they were willing to accept Gentiles, but who had been arguing over who would be in what important government positions in the kingdom of Christ all wanting to be Jesus' prime minister and squabbling over it, faced with the death of Jesus, resurection and trying to make sense of everything. There were different shades of faith which was later to be reflected among the different writers of the New Testament, showing that while they were of one accord they were not all uniform in belief and application of their understanding of the life of Christ. But instead of simply arguing, they studied, prayed, and agreeded to dissagree. Had they just continued to squabble, or come to feel that their understanding of what they went through was completely right and everyone else wrong, the Holy Spirit could not be poured out in that way. They, like what Mrs. White encourages us, needed to be willing to both be both accepting yet growing.

Thanks Kevin.

It just goes to show how we just can't trust the words in compilations.

I believe in Hematology.

• Administrators

Just one more reason why I appreciate Kevin H so much! Way to go, man! :)

Isaiah 32:17 And the work of righteousness shall be peace; and the effect of righteousness quietness and assurance for ever.

Just one more reason why I appreciate Kevin H so much! Way to go, man! :)

thumbsup

I believe in Hematology.