ClubAdventist is back!

Morris Venden RIP

Stan

Thanks Stan

May we be one so that the world may be won.
Christian from the cradle to the grave
I believe in Hematology.

I have two or three books by Morris Venden. There's a way he expressed certain concepts that stuck with me. In fact I've been thinking about re reading one of his books that I already have.

I'm sorry to hear about all this. I didn't know anything was wrong, or that he was in ill health.

I prayed for twenty years but received no answer until I prayed with my legs.

Frederick Douglass

Oh Good Grief Gordon.

I believe in Hematology.

Morris Venden was born to Melvin Venden and Ivy Ruth Venden.[1] He graduated from Fresno Adventist Academy in 1949, and received a degree from Pacific Union College, as well as several honorary degrees. He died on Feb. 10, 2013, in College Place, Washington. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Morris_Venden

I believe in Hematology.

• Moderators

How old was he?

If he graduated from high school in 1949 then he was probably born in 1931 [though the Wikipedia reference doesn't give his birth date].

Jeannie<br /><br /><br />...Change is inevitable; growth is optional....

• Moderators

Oh thank you. I must have missed seeing it.

Jeannie<br /><br /><br />...Change is inevitable; growth is optional....

• Members

I'm definitely sad to hear this

phkrause

By the decree enforcing the institution of the papacy in violation of the law of God, our nation will disconnect herself fully from righteousness. When Protestantism shall stretch her hand across the gulf to grasp the hand of the Roman power, when she shall reach over the abyss to clasp hands with spiritualism, when, under the influence of this threefold union, our country shall repudiate every principle of its Constitution as a Protestant and republican government, and shall make provision for the propagation of papal falsehoods and delusions, then we may know that the time has come for the marvelous working of Satan and that the end is near. {5T 451.1}

Sadly his name reminds me of Claudia Burrows.

She used to post a lot on the old VOAF. I guess she finally found better things to do with her time.

Remember Adventists Online?

• Moderators

Claudia Burrows: YEs, her name will be ever associated with that of Venden. In fairness to the truth that must be recognized.

Frankly, I believed Claudia; to me, her story fit a pattern that I had seen before.

However, I will say that Venden was a great man in leading the denomination to a greater understanding of grace and Righteousness by faith.

How to I draw these conflicting aspects together: Simply that God uses imperfect people.

Gregory

Amazing how hard some try to drag people in the ground - even after they are dead and unable to defend themselves.

I believe in Hematology.

• Members

Claudia Burrows: YEs, her name will be ever associated with that of Venden. In fairness to the truth that must be recognized.

Frankly, I believed Claudia; to me, her story fit a pattern that I had seen before.

However, I will say that Venden was a great man in leading the denomination to a greater understanding of grace and Righteousness by faith.

How to I draw these conflicting aspects together: Simply that God uses imperfect people.

I don't associate the name of "Claudia Burrows" with Morris Venden. Heck, I don't even feel inclined to google it... I guess I have a distinct lack of morbid curiosity...

• Like 2

Pam     coffeecomputer.GIF   

Meddle Not In the Affairs of Dragons; for You Are Crunchy and Taste Good with Ketchup.

If we all sang the same note in the choir, there'd never be any harmony.

Funny, isn't it, how we accept Grace for ourselves and demand justice for others?

Morris and I attended the Seventh-day Adventist Theological Seminary then also called Potomac University around 1957. My best memories of him there was when he and his brother sang duets together.

I trust they will still be singing in the world made new by our Creator.

He and I were the same age. When he died he lived very close to my brother-in-law's daughter. She visited him the day before he died.

• Moderators

morbid curiosity: Sorry, for those who experienced this it clearly is not morbid curiosity.

Gregory

• Moderators

Quote:
Amazing how hard some try to drag people in the ground - even after they are dead and unable to defend themselves.

I will suggest that the Biblical example of David is our model. David sinned greatly, yet he was loved by God and did great things for God. I made it very clear the Venden did great things for God.

Your comment to the effect that try to drag people to the ground is simply a smear that is false and not Biblical. The Bible is clear in presenting people as they are/were. They are faulty. They failed God. They sinned. Yet God used such people in great ways.

I do not have a problem with those who say that Venden was cleared, or that charges made against6 him were false. Most of the people who comment today are speaking from a distance and not from any position of personal knowledge. I am speaking from some (not all) knowledge. I simply say that I believe her story. I will leave it essentially at that.

To totally ignore the past and to smear those who remind us of that past is a smear against women in general and it is not Biblical. It reflects the sexism that women face when they allege as Claudia did. It clearly shows the uphill battle they face and the counter charges that come their way.

I acknowledge Venden as a man who contributed much to Adventist theology. I appreciate him very much. IL see him as clearly being used by God. But, he was imperfect. He had his faults. Regardless of whether or not one believes the charges made against him those are part of his past history and must be acknowledged.

Gregory

Quote:
To totally ignore the past and to smear those who remind us of that past is a smear against women in general and it is not Biblical.

Yes. But why bring up slander that is untrue and has been proven to be untrue?

The other aspect is that it is tradition when someone just dies - that people speak respectful of the person and not bring up gossip that's been proven to be an untruth or even controversial aspects of the person's character or past.

That being said - perhaps you are starting a new tradition.

I believe in Hematology.

The Lord forgives even if we cannot. Let us remember this.

Suzanne

And we might need this more than we think. Thank you for this reminder.

• Moderators

Please note: I have never said that I thought Venden was guilty. I may or may not so believe. I have simply said that I believe Claudia.

How can I do this? In the hospital where I work every employee has the right to ask another person to assist them in a disciplinary hearing. IL have accepted that role in an effort to reach out to staff.

In the U.S. it is believed that adverse charges should be sustained on the basis of clear and convincing evidence, not on the basis of whether or not the person did the deed. On several occasions I have argued that the evidence was not clear and convincing and the hearing officer has agreed. All charges on that issue were dropped and the employe's record was cleared. In some cases the decision has been that a lessor offense was sustained.

In regard to Venden: I believe Claudia. However, I am willing to say that the evidence against him was not clear and convincing and I might have found that the charge against him was not sustained.

Frankly, I was troubled by that conclusion on my part back when it occurred. I remain troubled by it today. But, that is life.

But, I am comfortable with the fact that God uses faulty people and that I believe that God used Venden in a great way.

Gregory

• Moderators

Quote:
Yes. But why bring up slander that is untrue and has been proven to be untrue?

It was not proven to be untrue. You really do not understand and lack knowledge of what happened.

The charge was not sustained.

Gregory

• Members

wow. just...wow. I think this "obituary" thread is shameful. Woody is right.

• Like 2

Pam     coffeecomputer.GIF   

Meddle Not In the Affairs of Dragons; for You Are Crunchy and Taste Good with Ketchup.

If we all sang the same note in the choir, there'd never be any harmony.

Funny, isn't it, how we accept Grace for ourselves and demand justice for others?