ClubAdventist is back!

Morris Venden RIP

Stan

Quote:
wow. just...wow. I think this "obituary" thread is shameful. Woody is right.

Amen, Pam.

Now is NOT the time to dredge up trash on the man or anyone associated with him. I tell you what - he's brought more people to the Kingdom than I ever have!

• Moderators

Quote:
I tell you what - he's brought more people to the Kingdom than I ever have!

I can agree with the positive statement about him.

But, the Bible is very clear: It presents people (David, for example) as they were. David sinned greatly. Yet he was used by God.

Gregory

• Administrators

I was wondering how long it would be when "that" would come up.

Remember Isaiah 29:21,22, which is a warning against watching for a person to stumble, and then for turning aside the just for a thing of nought.

To me that is what is happening here- the good things that Venden did being made into nothing by "that".

It is after all, as Pam noted, an obituary. Let's keep it such as a mark of respect at least in this thread.

Isaiah 32:17 And the work of righteousness shall be peace; and the effect of righteousness quietness and assurance for ever.

I agree that it shouldn't be discussed in this particular thread, but would be better in a separate thread.

Yeah. Like YEARS ago. Not now. Let the poor man rest in the grave for a few weeks at minimum.

May we be one so that the world may be won.
Christian from the cradle to the grave
I believe in Hematology.

I was wondering how long it would be when "that" would come up.

Remember Isaiah 29:21,22, which is a warning against watching for a person to stumble, and then for turning aside the just for a thing of nought.

To me that is what is happening here- the good things that Venden did being made into nothing by "that".

It is after all, as Pam noted, an obituary. Let's keep it such as a mark of respect at least in this thread.

Amen!

• Moderators

O.K. I will abide by your desire.

I agree that Venden did much good. I can believe that God used him in a needed way. He has had a very positive effect on my and my understanding of God.

In recognizing his humanness I Do not believe that his good work is made of none effect. Rather I believe that I is in accord with the Biblical picture of people--God uses imperfect people. Their imperfections are not excused. They are not made to be of minor matter. They often face grave consequences. but, God works in and through them. In doing so we obtain a better picture of God and how God works in human life. The idea that some people have that God cannot use someone who has sinned is simply rooted in the Doctrine of the Devil that attempts to convince us that our sins are too great for God to forgive.

Venden did a great work and it appears that his time on earth came to an end. Such will happen to all of us.

• Like 2

Gregory

• Administrators

Thank you, Gregory!

Isaiah 32:17 And the work of righteousness shall be peace; and the effect of righteousness quietness and assurance for ever.

Excellent Gregory

May we be one so that the world may be won.
Christian from the cradle to the grave
I believe in Hematology.

• Members

O.K. I will abide by your desire.

I agree that Venden did much good. I can believe that God used him in a needed way. He has had a very positive effect on my and my understanding of God.

In recognizing his humanness I Do not believe that his good work is made of none effect. Rather I believe that I is in accord with the Biblical picture of people--God uses imperfect people. Their imperfections are not excused. They are not made to be of minor matter. They often face grave consequences. but, God works in and through them. In doing so we obtain a better picture of God and how God works in human life. The idea that some people have that God cannot use someone who has sinned is simply rooted in the Doctrine of the Devil that attempts to convince us that our sins are too great for God to forgive.

Venden did a great work and it appears that his time on earth came to an end. Such will happen to all of us.

:like:

phkrause

By the decree enforcing the institution of the papacy in violation of the law of God, our nation will disconnect herself fully from righteousness. When Protestantism shall stretch her hand across the gulf to grasp the hand of the Roman power, when she shall reach over the abyss to clasp hands with spiritualism, when, under the influence of this threefold union, our country shall repudiate every principle of its Constitution as a Protestant and republican government, and shall make provision for the propagation of papal falsehoods and delusions, then we may know that the time has come for the marvelous working of Satan and that the end is near. {5T 451.1}

• 3 years later...

How can you compare M. Venden to David. He used others to satisfy his own lust and preached a false theology. He was wicked and only God knows if he repented.

The church covered up his transgressions and continued to allow him to cause harm to others. May his wicked soul rest in peace.

• Members
1 hour ago, Linda Spraggins said:

How can you compare M. Venden to David. He used others to satisfy his own lust and preached a false theology. He was wicked and only God knows if he repented.

The church covered up his transgressions and continued to allow him to cause harm to others. May his wicked soul rest in peace.

This is an obituary thread, and the above comment is out of line, in my opinion.  

Perhaps the forum should have a "venom" thread, where people could malign the dead and keep old wounds open by an inflicting a drop or two of vitriol every so often.    

Pam     coffeecomputer.GIF   

Meddle Not In the Affairs of Dragons; for You Are Crunchy and Taste Good with Ketchup.

If we all sang the same note in the choir, there'd never be any harmony.

Funny, isn't it, how we accept Grace for ourselves and demand justice for others?

• Moderators

So, you have posted a 3-year old quote of mine.  I will suggest that there are several other comments that I made that might be helpful in understanding where I am on this subject.

To suggest that I was unfair to Pam:  Pam is perfectly capable of telling me so herself, if that is her thought, as she has done so some times in the past.  Frankly I do not think that is her thought. 

As has been said on previous posts.  This is not the place to dig up the previous controversy.

Gregory

• Moderators

To say "anyone" is against women because they do not believe allegations of one mentioned above is just wrong. If other posts do illustrate something different regarding your opinion on this, that is fair enough.

And, that is not what I said.

My posts were made in a context where some of those who did not believe Claudia went on the attack and attacked her personally.  That is wrong. Further, if you read the several posts that I made on that subject you will see that I made the following conclusions:

1) I believed Claudia.

2) I believed that the finding that her charges against MV were not sustained, was the correct finding.

As has been said by others, both several years ago and recently, this is not the place to dig up all of that gossip, which much of it was.  So, let us let this aspect rest.

God has often used flawed and imperfect people.  MV was both flawed and imperfect as well as used, in my opinion, by God.

The fact that God may be using someone should never be taken as a sign that everything about them is in harmony with the will of God.  That is the lesson that we should take with us today.

• Like 2

Gregory

• 8 months later...
Guest Have  Faith in God

There is an ancient maxim: "Of the dead, nothing but good."  Morris Venden's sermons and his counsel had a powerful effect on my life.    "Now all these things happened unto them for ensamples: and they are written for our admonition, upon whom the ends of the world are come."  Everything human is a part of me.

• Like 3

• 4 years later...

All have sinned and come short of the glory of God... I wonder how self-righteous we would be, if any of the 'secret' sins in our lives were to come to light.  So thankful God is our judge.  Our sins are buried, not be be fished back up for public consumption and scrutiny. That's not how God wants it to be... That comes from someone else entirely. ??

• Members
On 2/20/2013 at 12:24 PM, doug yowell said:

Whatever the case, Morris Vendon does now rest in peace.

Actually doesn't everyone rest in peace? The bad and the good??

phkrause

By the decree enforcing the institution of the papacy in violation of the law of God, our nation will disconnect herself fully from righteousness. When Protestantism shall stretch her hand across the gulf to grasp the hand of the Roman power, when she shall reach over the abyss to clasp hands with spiritualism, when, under the influence of this threefold union, our country shall repudiate every principle of its Constitution as a Protestant and republican government, and shall make provision for the propagation of papal falsehoods and delusions, then we may know that the time has come for the marvelous working of Satan and that the end is near. {5T 451.1}

• Moderators

Let us not start this discussion again.

I think that I will lock it.

Gregory

• Gregory Matthews locked this topic