ClubAdventist is back!

Ellen White on "Debate" and "Debating"

John317

• Moderators

Ellen White:

Yesterday morning before I went into the ministers' meeting my soul was greatly distressed. I can not tell you how hard the pressure was. It seemed to amount to an agony, and in the night season it was an agony. I did not know what to expect, or how long this thing was going to persevere. I stood before our people after I came from Minneapolis in the church. I told them what God had presented to me. I stood before them in this room, when the Committee was here. I told them that every one of them that laid that hardness into their hearts when they were at Minneapolis, and that pursued the course they did, they never would see a ray of light till they confessed it. It has not had any influence on Brother Smith, but he stood just as strong to push back. I have had to stand all the time to push, and when I have felt that I could not do it, then the words have come, "I am back of you to push with you." And the light that came to me night before last laid it all open again before me, just the influence that was at work, and just where it would lead. I want to tell you, brethren, whoever you are, I want to tell you, that you are just going over the very same ground that they went over in the days of Christ. You have had their experience; But God deliver us from having the come-out of it as they had. But notwithstanding you have heard my testimony, notwithstanding it was the testimony of the Spirit of God, you have braced yourselves,--a few of you, strong men of determined will,--to carry it out on your line, to fight it out on your line. May God have mercy upon your souls, because you need it. You have

stood right in the way of God. The earth is to be lighted with his glory, and if you stand where you stand today, you might just as quick say that the Spirit of God was the spirit of the devil. You have said it now in your actions, in your attitudes, that it is the spirit of the devil. You have said it thus, and you will say it when the crisis will come. And while praying here on my knees, I have had the evidence that there would be a break. The Spirit of God has come upon me, the light of heaven has shown into my heart, and his comforting grace is upon me. My mind is just as clear as a sunbeam; I rejoice in God my Saviour today. I thank God that I have not been discouraged to death; I thank God that I have clung to the arm of infinite power to stand all but alone. The ones that ought to have stood with me, that God would have to stand with me to receive the blessings, have stood to hedge up my way in every step. I want to tell you, brethren, there are debaters among us. I warned them in Minneapolis never to put a minister in a Conference by the side of a debater. For the last twenty years the light has shown upon me in regard to debaters. They will turn light into darkness. That is just what Brother Matthew Larson will do. He has an education, but unless the Holy Ghost shall come upon him, he will never go through with this cause to its close. What is the matter? I am afraid of Brother Larson; I am afraid of Brother Larson. I will not converse with you unless you are with other men. You will take my words. You will put a false interpretation upon them, and you will make them mean this or that other than they shall. And those that stand criticizing, let me tell you, you

are walking in the sparks of your own kindling, and you are right down in darkness. It is the word of God. God presented the case before me. I told it to Brother Morrison when we were in Des Moines. Said I: "If you don't come out as Elder Canright, it is because you will be a converted man; but every soul that is connected with you that you have educated and trained as a debater, you will wish that work was undone." Brethren, we are not here for this work. We are not here to study infidel authors, to open our minds to the suggestions of the devil. We are here to get ready for the judgment, and we are right on the borders of the eternal world. Here are many that are to go forth to their fields of labor to strengthen the things that are ready to die, or to be powers of darkness. Now what are you going to do in this matter? {1888 593.1}

Now I beseech of you that are here today, that have cherished sins, whatever they may be, clear it out of the way. God help you to be converted. Oh, I see the smiles of Jesus today. I am so grateful. I know that God will help us if we will clear the King's highway. I hoped, Brother Porter, when you were at Kansas, and the Spirit of the Lord came upon you, I hoped you might be in the light; but you are not in the light. Do not be surprised if I, when you are in the darkness, refuse to have an interview with any of you. I have told you over and over again. Christ said: "Why do you not hear my words?" I would say, "Why do you not hear the words of Christ that are presented to you? Why will you have darkness? They are so afraid to see that there is another ray of light. They will build up every conceivable barrier against it.

You are working just as the Jews were. Do not hang on to Brother Smith. In the name of God, I tell you, he is not in the light. He has not been in the light since he was at Minneapolis. You have gathered together, you have built up yourselves, and you have tried in every way to resist the Spirit of God. May God have compassion on your souls. {1888 595.1}

John 3:16-17

For God so loved the world, that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life. [17] For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but in order that the world might be saved through him.

• Moderators

If anyone has other EGW quotes about debating, please feel free to post them.

John 3:16-17

For God so loved the world, that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life. [17] For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but in order that the world might be saved through him.

• Members

That was really interesting John, thanks

phkrause

By the decree enforcing the institution of the papacy in violation of the law of God, our nation will disconnect herself fully from righteousness. When Protestantism shall stretch her hand across the gulf to grasp the hand of the Roman power, when she shall reach over the abyss to clasp hands with spiritualism, when, under the influence of this threefold union, our country shall repudiate every principle of its Constitution as a Protestant and republican government, and shall make provision for the propagation of papal falsehoods and delusions, then we may know that the time has come for the marvelous working of Satan and that the end is near. {5T 451.1}

• Administrators

Those who love to engage in discussion generally lose their spirituality. They do not trust in God as they should. They have the theory of the truth prepared to whip an opponent. The feelings of their own unsanctified hearts have prepared many sharp, close things to use as a snap to their whip to irritate and provoke their opponent. The spirit of Christ has no part in this. While furnished with conclusive arguments, the debater soon thinks that he is strong enough to triumph over his opponent, and God is left out of the matter. Some of our ministers have made discussion their principal business. When in the midst of the excitement raised by discussion, they seem nerved up and feel strong and talk strong; and in the excitement many things pass with the people as all right, which in themselves are decidedly wrong and a shame to him 3T 215.1

.....Debating ministers are generally disqualified to help the flock where they most need help. Having neglected practical religion in their own hearts and lives, they cannot teach it to the flock. Unless there is an excitement, they do not know how to labor; they seem shorn of their strength. If they try to speak, they do not seem to know how to present a subject that is proper for the occasion. When they should present a subject which will feed the flock of God, and which will reach and melt hearts, they go back to some of the old stereotyped matter and go through the arranged arguments, which are dry and uninteresting. Thus, instead of light and life, they bring darkness to the flock and also to their own souls. 3T 216.2

... If the interest steadily increases, and the people move understandingly, not from impulse, but from principle, the interest is much more healthy and durable than it is where a great excitement and interest are created suddenly, and the feelings are excited by listening to a debate, a sharp contest on both sides of the question, for and against the truth. Fierce opposition is thus created, positions are taken, and rapid decisions made. A feverish state of things is the result. Calm consideration and judgment are wanting. Let this excitement subside, or let reaction take place by indiscreet management, and the interest can never be raised again. The feelings and sympathies of the people were stirred; but their consciences were not convicted, their hearts were not broken and humbled before God. 3T 218.4

deb

Love awakens love.

Let God be true and every man a liar.