ClubAdventist is back!

the Worship Enigma

rudywoofs (Pam)

• Members

I just got done reading the thread about relating to someone who [apparently] has not "experienced" God...and the issue about WORSHIP was brought up. I want to pursue that a bit more.

wor·ship

/ˈwərSHip/

Noun

The feeling or expression of reverence and adoration for a deity: "ancestor worship".

Verb

Show reverence and adoration for (a deity); honor with religious rites.

Synonyms

noun. adoration - cult - veneration

verb. adore - idolize - deify - venerate - revere

In all honesty, I found it *much* easier to "worship" when I was a pagan, than to worship as a Christian. It just seemed so much more genuine. Most Christian worship seems phony. And boring.

But maybe it's just me. I like the majesty and grandeur of "high" church services. I *like* to see people dressing in their best for God. And listening to grand pipe organists playing Bach or Handel. It gives a feeling akin to patriotism...patriotic for God is what worship should feel like. Goosebumps.

Listening to a sermon doesn't seem to be "worshipful," nor does "studying the Bible." (sorry...it really doesn't)

so...is it just me (and maybe Cricket and Planey) who feel this way?

Comments? Stones? A "High Five"? :)

Pam     coffeecomputer.GIF   

Meddle Not In the Affairs of Dragons; for You Are Crunchy and Taste Good with Ketchup.

If we all sang the same note in the choir, there'd never be any harmony.

Funny, isn't it, how we accept Grace for ourselves and demand justice for others?

Worship in the OT, as I see it, was more of a demonstration of subservience to God, as in lowly servants on all fours meekly submitting to a very powerful master, quite unlike what we see today in churches.

The Parable of the Lamb and the Pigpen https://www.createspace.com/3401451

• Members
hifive excellent thoughts Pam. Personally I believe this is exactly what is being talked about in the Bible, how worship will be in heaven and the earth made new.

phkrause

By the decree enforcing the institution of the papacy in violation of the law of God, our nation will disconnect herself fully from righteousness. When Protestantism shall stretch her hand across the gulf to grasp the hand of the Roman power, when she shall reach over the abyss to clasp hands with spiritualism, when, under the influence of this threefold union, our country shall repudiate every principle of its Constitution as a Protestant and republican government, and shall make provision for the propagation of papal falsehoods and delusions, then we may know that the time has come for the marvelous working of Satan and that the end is near. {5T 451.1}

I'm glad you've brought this idea up, rudywoofs.

You're not the only one.

Worship still confounds me. I think I understand the concept of reverence and adoration. And I can see how a group of people can demonstrate their reverence, but the adoration of God--how does a group do that (other than just saying it aloud)?

So if worship is reverence plus adoration how is there ever a thing as "corporate worship"?

And I get what you're saying about the feeling akin to patriotism in "high" church services. I think you've nailed it on the head with that--patriotism.

??????????

• Members

Aliensanctuary, I can understand your thought about some Bible passages portraying the subservience of men to God, but I'm not so sure that groveling is what God is wanting as "worship." I think He wants worship to create a feeling in humans that one's heart is about to burst from happiness. I think worship should be a very emotional experience...and that's not usually what folks get at church. I'm not saying that rolling in the aisles or running around uncontrollably is the *thing* to do - but there must be a way to demonstrate that feeling, while still being respectful and reverent.

So, how would the happiness be demonstrated? Musically, for certain! Look at the Psalms! "The heavens declare the glory of God!" "Lift up mine eyes to the hills from whence cometh my help!" And as I mentioned, I *love* the grand musical pieces by Bach, Handel, and other classical composers. Or music such as Vangelis, Chariots of Fire, just makes me want to say WOW!

Meddle Not In the Affairs of Dragons; for You Are Crunchy and Taste Good with Ketchup.

Funny, isn't it, how we accept Grace for ourselves and demand justice for others?

• Administrators

True...

I don't believe worship should be forced (or can it, even?).

Isaiah 32:17 And the work of righteousness shall be peace; and the effect of righteousness quietness and assurance for ever.

• Members

I don't believe worship should be forced (or can it, even?).

thumbsup That's another good point, Gail. And one that really affects kids and "going to church" -- who really wants to do something/go somewhere that is basically boring and meaningless? And provokes no "gut reaction"?

I know I'm wanting worship to be an "emotional" deep-down experience. And lots of folks disdain things "emotional" as being illogical. But without such deep feelings, one runs the risk of becoming nothing more than an automaton.

• Administrators

Adventists in general have traditionally shied away from the emotional, in order not to take on what they consider as too emotional, like the Pentacostals.

But- God created man as an emotional being. Having truth and not being touched by it just does not seem right.

I like where you are heading, Pam!

Isaiah 32:17 And the work of righteousness shall be peace; and the effect of righteousness quietness and assurance for ever.

• Administrators

Talking about kids-

I LIKE the spirituality of children. When a 6-year-old comes up and says that s/he wants to be baptised, the child is tapping onto something that should be nurtured, not shelved (ignored?) until the child is older. It will be difficult to regain that freshness after even a few years.

Many times a person will leave one's spiritual roots only to reconnect later on. But I hate the idea of a child's spirituality being ignored due to their youth.

An example of children and their spontaneity to worship happened this last Sabbath at the end of sermon and prayer, during a piano/violin piece....two little girls, ages maybe 3-5, ran up to the front danced and twirled around with the music. They were so uninhibited and happy! Totally awesome! No one rushed up to stop them, even more awesome!

In all honesty, I found it *much* easier to "worship" when I was a pagan, than to worship as a Christian. It just seemed so much more genuine. Most Christian worship seems phony. And boring.

But maybe it's just me.

I think that is what sealed the deal for me ( so to speak ). Pagan worship, as I know it, is so much more of a celebration of the deity. Its a joyful occasion.

• Moderators

Trying to work my way through my own thoughts on this one.

Why are we (as Christians) worshipping?

The awesomeness of God....in the original meaning of 'full of awe'?

To celebrate the grandeur of the creation?

In gratitude for what God has done for us?

(most likely) a combination of the above, or other, reasons.

I know nothing about pagan worship, does it include any sense of gratitude for the love

of the deity?

And I guess there are some differences in public/group and solo/private worship.

I am assuming Pam's comments about the apparent phoniness and boringness of the worship

are referring to public/group settings.

How is our worship affected by our own feelings as we enter the worship setting? and similarly,

how is our perception of the worship of others affected by our own emotions at the time?

I am asking questions without expecting answers to be expressed, just trying to explore it a bit more.

And Pam, I loved the Chariots of Fire clip, certainly makes me want to worship....in a similar way to

when I see a particularly beautiful sunset, or hear a talented choir sing the Hallelujah Chorus.