ClubAdventist is back!

McCain - Hypocrit

Dr. Shane

McCain In R Rated Movie

</font><blockquote><font class="small">Quote:</font><hr />

Sen. John McCain, R-Ariz. -- who once held hearings chastising Hollywood studios for producing R- rated films and marketing them to teens -- is now playing a part in one!

Opening this weekend, WEDDING CRASHERS, a movie packed with raunchy moments and bare-breasted beauties bedding down with the guys.

<hr /></blockquote><font class="post">

Pastoral Family Counselor... Find me at www.PostumCafe.com

Author of  Peculiar Christianity

From the LA Times-

Quote:

Of course, McCain, then chairman of the Senate's Commerce Committee was focused on violence, rather than sex, and the overt marketing of R-rated films and games to an under-17-year-old audience. Still, the irony ranked enough to get the obligatory shot from the Drudge Report.

McCain is not exactly a Hollywood virgin; three years ago, he hosted "Saturday Night Live," and for years has been trying to get a movie made of his autobiography "Faith of My Fathers." So when director David Dobkin wanted some recognizable inner Beltway faces to add heft to the main wedding scene — that of a senator's daughter — McCain was an obvious choice. Wilson called the senator, as well as political consultant James Carville, and they agreed to do non-credited cameos.

Eileen McMenamin, McCain's communications director, said when the senator signed on, he understood the film would be rated PG-13. Dobkin tried, but after test audiences found the "raunchy bits" the funniest, the studio decided to live with the R.

The decision did not bother McCain, who has touted his role publicly in recent weeks. "The senator has not seen the movie," said McMenamin. "He agreed to do the cameo role for a fee, which he donated to charity."

From the IMD, the rating of the movie shows-

Quote:

User Rating: *******___ 7.1/10 (244 votes)

From the Rotten Tomatoes,

[Reviews counted: 19 Fresh: 17 Rotten: 2 Average Rating: 7.3/10]

a rating of "fresh" means it is a good movie...And the movie is "fresh"... Here is how one critic puts the movie-

Quote:

What’s weird is that hidden beneath all the nudity and under-the-table hand jobs is the soft, squishy core of a romantic, wide-eyed chick flick."

-- Joshua Tyler, CINEMABLEND.COM

And I know that what I am about to say is probably controversial, but an "R" rated movie, does not mean that the movie is scandelous, bad, full of radom violence/sex/adult scenes...It is a way to determine appropriate reviews of movies for a specific audience...It is a way of preventing children from going in to see Triple X movies, and I have seen some PG movies with language that I found so bad, I walked out of the movie. Granted, my tastes in movies allow for appropriate use of bad language, nudity and violance, and the key word is "appropriate"... I don't recommend every movie for every SDA... Although I would have no problem taking/inviting, say Gail or Amelia or Naomi [with appropriate dates] to this movie...Now, inviting Shane or Ed, who have shown different standards than mine, might be a different matter...

Democracy is a device that ensures we shall be governed no better than we deserve.

George Bernard Shaw

I know that what I am about to say is probably controversial, but an "R" rated movie, does not mean that the movie is scandelous, bad, full of radom violence/sex/adult scenes...

Thanks for staying honest with us and letting us know who you are. At least you are not a hypocrit - like McCain.

As for me, if it has an R rating I will not even consider watching it if it is fiction. If it is a true story and is R rated because of the actual historic events being portraited, then I may consider watching it.

Quote:

Thanks for staying honest with us and letting us know who you are.

Huh??? What is attempted to be said here? I am asking for a clarification.... I am now under the impression that my honesty is in question. And what makes you think that Ihave not been telling you who I am in the first place? What kind of remark is that? Is it a nice remark? It sounds rude to me....Am I mistaken here? I am asking for further clarification....

Quote:

At least you are not a hypocrit - like McCain.

Shane, passing judgement upon leaders is something that you have advocated that we should not do...yet, here you are, making more judgements as we have done in the past. McCain is allowed mistakes, and if he has made one, I am sure he will protest the movie....I will at least at this time, allow him to make this 'mistake', if it is one.

And what, in the making of this movie, makes this hypocritical, since, according to the LA Times, he was investegating the VIOLENCE in the movies? This movie is a comedy....not an action movie...

Democracy is a device that ensures we shall be governed no better than we deserve.

George Bernard Shaw

I am asking for further clarification....

I am saying you are not trying to uphold the high moral standards held by many Adventists and other evangelical Christians. You are being consistant like you have in the past. You are one that doesn't have an objection to many such things that most in the church would shun and you are honest about that.

As far as McCain. I have said we shouldn't judge others' motives regardless if they are in public office or sit on the pew next to us at church. When a person sits on a Senate panel and grandstands against Hollywood for R rated movies and then later decides to star in one because his kids think it is cool, that is a hypocrit. I don't know what his motives were, but his actions were out of line.

Film role casts doubt on McCain judgment

But McCain isn't just another senator. He is currently - according to the polls - the "front-runner" in the Republican race for the 2008 nomination, although Republicans are sharply divided as to whether that can hold in a process dominated by party regulars and Christian conservatives.

It was John McCain - the senator, not the character - who held hearings prior to the 2000 elections, as everyone is now pointing out, to take Hollywood to task for making R-rated movies and marketing them to teenagers. The result was a commitment by the industry to enforce more strictly the R restriction - with the unintended consequence, some would argue, that PG-13 movies got to be more sexual and more violent. This movie was conceived of as R-rated from the get-go, and McCain apparently is the only elected official to join the cast.

I think he will be too old to run for president any way.

• Moderators

Sen. John McCain responding on "The Tonight Show" to a Drudge Report story chastising him for appearing in "Wedding Crashers" and characterizing the film as a "boob raunch fest": "In Washington, I work with boobs every day." (NBC's "Tonight Show With Jay Leno" via WorldNetDaily.com)

Truth is important

I went to see it last night.

Laughed most of the way through, but it also had some thought provoking aspects and a genuinely cute romance.

There was a grand total of maybe thirty seconds where there were 3 second scenes ending in 0.5 seconds of female breasts.

See more skin at the beach any day - including winter.

/Bevin

Quote:

Laughed most of the way through, but it also had some thought provoking aspects and a genuinely cute romance.

Hmmmmm...My wife wants to go see this movie, and I wasn't sure I wanted to see it in the theater, but wait until the DVD came out...Maybe I will go after all....

George Bernard Shaw

"In Washington, I work with boobs every day."

That is a good line, Brother Bravus. The HS has convicted me against going to such movies so we won't be going to the theater or seeing it on DVD.