ClubAdventist is back!

The Termination of Pastor Ryan Bell

Stan

Think about it. The reason that this slippery slope argument fails is precisely because the response to the two issues are so very different and the reasons for the different response are based on the obvious differences between them. Quite simply, they are two very different issues. They are not the same slope to begin with.

The slippery slope argument works only when apples are compared to apples, aka, gay marriage leading to legalization of polygamy. People called that a fallacy a decade ago, yet today, polygamy IS being seriously considered for legalization after gay marriage has the countenance of the courts. The groundwork is being laid, even as one reads this.

Using the "slippery slope" to compare apples to oranges - aka, WO with the LGBT issue - does not make the slippery slope argument a fallacy; it means a red herring or a straw man fallacy has been made using the slippery slope context.

A misuse of logical argument does make the genre a fallacy.

Blessings,

"As iron sharpens iron, so also does one man sharpen another" - Proverbs 27:17

"The offense of the cross is that the cross is a confession of human frailty and sin and of inability to do any good thing. To take the cross of Christ means to depend solely on Him for everything, and this is the abasement of all human pride. Men love to fancy themselves independent. But let the cross be preached, let it be made known that in man dwells no good thing and that all must be received as a gift, and straightway someone is offended." Ellet J. Waggoner, The Glad Tidings

"Courage is being scared to death - and saddling up anyway" - John Wayne

"The person who pays an ounce of principle for a pound of popularity gets badly cheated" - Ronald Reagan

I see the LGBT movement has now entered the immigration debate. The concern being that a gay couple will have a problem bringing their spouse into the country. So they want inclusion in any immigration policys.

Why do I mention this? I recall some months ago a thread that was talking about the link between immigration and gays. Gays were considered a "straw man" (or whatever term you like) argument and the connection between the two issues was dismissed as ridiculous.

Well boys, their back, it doesn't look so ridiculous now!

Some may not understand this, but we need 2-3 Ryan Bell types in our Church, just as we need 2-3 Shane Hilde in our church to be vocal and active.

When we want everyone to be link Pringles Potatoes chips to move forward, we will fail.

Am not expecting everyone to agree at all.

If you receive benefit to being here please help out with expenses.

https://www.paypal.me/clubadventist

Administrator of a few websites like https://adventistdating.com

• Administrators

have you read in the media, that pedophilia is being argued for as an alternative sexual orientation? not illegal?

they are not getting very far but they tried.

deb

Love awakens love.

Let God be true and every man a liar.

Stan, while I MAY agree (I don't know enough about Ryan to say for sure) that we need these type of Pastors in the field, I'm not convinced we need them leading one of our established Churches.

An independant ministry, sanctioned by the Church, would work. I would approve of Conference funding for the Pastors salary, etc. on a case by case basis. However, Conference funding could get problematic as it inevitably ties the ministry back to the Conference!

I don't know how funding is handled in such a case.

Accountability is a good thing. Bell ran afoul of it and should take his lumps like a man. I hold myself to the same standard--accountability is a necessary part of the Body of Christ.

Rejoice always and read the Word!

`G

"Please don't feed the drama queens.."

• Moderators

have you read in the media, that pedophilia is being argued for as an alternative sexual orientation? not illegal?

they are not getting very far but they tried.

There are huge differences between two consenting adults and an adult and someone who is still having a developing mind. And apparently the proper translation of some of Paul's texts translated homosexuals would be better translated pedophiles.

• Moderators

People were talking about the slippery slope on how if we are more open to people dealing with homosexuality worshiping with us would lead to accepting pedophiles as acceptable.

• Administrators

You just never know where we will end up if we take a risk, by just taking one step forward. Next thing you know, we will be taking up cannibalism because we overate at supper last night. Take that first step toward gluttony and we will be barbecuing our neighbors...

"Absurdity reigns and confusion makes it look good."

"Sinless perfection is such a shallow goal."

"I love God only as much as the person I love the least."

*Forgiveness is always good news. And that is the gospel truth.

(And finally, the ideas expressed above are solely my person views and not that of any organization with which I am associated.)

Ha Ha Ha, that is pretty funny, Kevin, Tom. Until Kevin mentioned it I had completely lost the connection as to what we would or wouldn't accept down the road. But I see it now, fire up the bar BQ (we're having the neighbors for dinner).

ROFL

You just never know where we will end up if we take a risk, by just taking one step forward. Next thing you know, we will be taking up cannibalism because we overate at supper last night. Take that first step toward gluttony and we will be barbecuing our neighbors...

Yeah, funny how that one bite of the forbidden fruit has taken us down a pathway of death, pain, misery, and suffering for all of us, isn't it?

Liberty cannot be established without morality, nor morality without faith.
Alexis de Tocqueville

Yeah, funny how that one bite of the forbidden fruit has taken us down a pathway of death, pain, misery, and suffering for all of us, isn't it?

But he sees it as a step forward. I find that a little funny. And tragic.

"The children of God should cultivate a keen sensitiveness to sin. Here, as well as elsewhere, we should not despise the day of small things. It is one of Satan's most successful devices, to lead men to the commission of little sins, to blind the mind to the danger of little indulgences, little digressions from the plainly stated requirements of God. Many who would shrink with horror from some great transgression, are led to look upon sin in little matters as of trifling consequence. But those little sins eat out the life of godliness in the soul. The feet which enter upon a path diverging from the right way are tending toward the broad road that ends in death. When once a retrograde movement begins, no one can tell where it may end." {RH November 8, 1887}

• Administrators

I would praise God if our churches were filled with Gay people worshipping God. Jesus died for them, and all heaven rejoices when anyone turns their hearts to Him.

I don't think ryan bell made any error having gay people in his church. Unless he was supporting them in continuing a gay lifestyle as members. And this i do not know.

deb

Love awakens love.

Let God be true and every man a liar.

• 7 months later...

The topic of "Ryan Bell" should be openly discussed, but we should do so carefully and with love. I heard/watched 2 of his sermons via YouTube and was pretty shocked. I had to double check if this guy was really an SDA! Well, aside from the really bad rock music disguised as "worship" music, the torn jeans and t-shirts, the sermons were really straight forward "social justice" lectures with nary a bible text to match. In the past, his quest "lectures" included an Imam, and (needs corroboration) a practitioner of Wicca. He was openly flaunting with "forbidden things" and promoting ecumenism.

When I heard he was dismissed as pastor, the stories started pouring in. Sadly, most of them were true. In the ensuing weeks/months prior to his termination, the local conference had first spoken, then warned him. His claim was that he was bringing Christ to the streets, but his "40-days of Lent" pretty much sealed his SDA fate. He actually performed Lent, along with a catholic Eucharist mass. What does Lent have to do with bringing Christ "to the streets"?

Several weeks ago he "lectured" at my church at Glendale SDA(apparently he is a buddy of our own Pastor) about ecology and worker's rights, and again, not one bible text shared. At the discussion that followed after, he was pretty clear that we need to ditch the formality of the bible and get in the trenches for worker's rights in 3rd world countries. Hmmm.

>>>but we should do so carefully and with love

Can you show me how this is being done in live?

Do you understand why he celebrated Lent?

If you receive benefit to being here please help out with expenses.

https://www.paypal.me/clubadventist

Administrator of a few websites like https://adventistdating.com

• Members

Interesting thoughts GreginHollywood. And welcome to the forum.

phkrause

By the decree enforcing the institution of the papacy in violation of the law of God, our nation will disconnect herself fully from righteousness. When Protestantism shall stretch her hand across the gulf to grasp the hand of the Roman power, when she shall reach over the abyss to clasp hands with spiritualism, when, under the influence of this threefold union, our country shall repudiate every principle of its Constitution as a Protestant and republican government, and shall make provision for the propagation of papal falsehoods and delusions, then we may know that the time has come for the marvelous working of Satan and that the end is near. {5T 451.1}

my first thoughts are that the Church elders did carefully address the growing complaints coming out of the Hollywood church, and well over a period of more that a year. The "Lent" thing was Ryan's big ecumenical push followed by an "Easter" service. He didn't do a Lent-lite, or "in the Spirit of", he did Lent and the Eucharist. Period.

I love Ryan, in a sense that we as Christians should love everyone, but he's not of service to the Gospel or SDA message. He deserved what he created. If he wanted to "do Lent" then he should become a priest.

Lastly, when I heard him in person, I can genuinely say he is impassioned about social justice, but fully lost to the true meaning of the Gospel. He would make a great motivational speaker, a great lecture, but Preacher? NO WAY!

I pray that Ryan see the errors of his ministry and return to the Lord with an open heart. Until then, he is not fit to lead a flock....just my thoughts.

Good points Greg.

I think inviting Trisha Famisaran to 'preach' on repenting of heterosexuality was the last or second-to-last nail in the coffin. Her quoting lady Gaga in this 'sermon' to endorse homosexuality is apostasy with a capital A.

These social justice zealots have little clue what they are in for, when UN and state power unite. People like Bell will not be standing with you when the dung hits the fan.

Walk with he King,

G

In the past, his quest "lectures" included an Imam, and (needs corroboration) a practitioner of Wicca. He was openly flaunting with "forbidden things" and promoting ecumenism.

So should Stan lose his position working for a Church run organization for allowing the atheists and myself to openly communicate on this site?