ClubAdventist is back!

The Termination of Pastor Ryan Bell

Stan

Again, for the umpteenth time, what do you base that info/opinion on? Up to this point only one person says they real knowledge of the situation, so you have.........

Originally Posted By: Aliensanctuary
Mr. Bell and his proponents may make themselves out to be martyrs, but if he's receiving money from the SDA Club yet failing to meet their standards, he should take the responsibility of disengaging himself, rather than forcing the managers of the club to disenfranchise him. He can start his own club and live off the money that he collects from the members who join his new club.

I agree with that. :))

Richard agreeable.

G

"Please don't feed the drama queens.."

• Moderators

Ryan Bell has not contested this action by the Conference.

To my knowledge, at least.

Jeannie<br /><br /><br />...Change is inevitable; growth is optional....

While I did not agree with everything 100% I did not disagree 100% either..

the truth is this, we need more people like Ryan and more people like Shane Hilde as well

If you receive benefit to being here please help out with expenses.

https://www.paypal.me/clubadventist

Administrator of a few websites like https://adventistdating.com

• Moderators

Olger, the following looks to me like it is a deliberate misrepresentation of the truth, all done on the pretense of making fun:

Quote:
It appears that Hollywood Greg is from the same area as Bell, and thus is in a position to know more about the details of the saga.

Gregory

the truth is this, we need more people like Ryan and more people like Shane Hilde as well

Shane Hilde has nothing to do with Bell. Why the comparison?

Greg, I have no idea what you are talking about. See post #675593 -- should clear up your confusion. That individual is from the same locale that Bell is from.

Rejoice always and speak clearly,

G

• Moderators

Olger: On this I may have been wrong. I understood your post to reference me. Thank you for responding. I misunderstood you.

Gregory

Gregory

• 2 weeks later...

Stan, my understanding was that he was spoken to several times, all courteously and with concern about the content of his sermons. He continued on his path, and was given a warning twice. Pretty fair treatment, I would say.

The bottom line, when I heard him for myself, I realized that he has a deeply social agenda. Not like Christ's concern for the disenfranchised, but in a very political way. For example, when he spoke at my church, he lectured on workers' rights and how our materialism is polluting the environment. Sounds good, right? Hold on. Not one bible text was mentioned, not one. Not one example of Christ was mentioned, not one. And the main push was that workers need more rights, better wages, healthcare, etc. NOTHING about salvation, or alleviating suffering of the soul. I left feeling like I ate a huge meal of styrofoam-very filling, but nothing nutritional.

Lastly, and this really bothers me, why in the heck would you perform a mass on Lent?

Stan, I live about 5 miles away from Hollywood SDA, and yes he did offer 40 days of Lent (it was on their website, as well as advertised locally), and yes he did "perform" a Eucharist which was recorded on video (this was distributed to numerous pastors and administrators for review along with other sermons of his), among other sermons which really danced with apostasy.

Lastly, he has not played the "victim" as far as I have witnessed. He spoke at an after church event/forum on Sabbath afternoon about 7 months ago (can't recall date) at Glendale SDA. He is fully aware of what he did, accepts full responsibility, and was quite mature about it without admitting fault. He has made it quite clear that he will continue with social justice issues, lecturing, writing for Huffington Post, and probably teaching at Fuller Seminary (or elsewhere if available).

• Moderators

Quote:
Lastly, he has not played the "victim" as far as I have witnessed. He spoke at an after church event/forum on Sabbath afternoon about 7 months ago (can't recall date) at Glendale SDA. He is fully aware of what he did, accepts full responsibility, and was quite mature about it without admitting fault. He has made it quite clear that he will continue with social justice issues, lecturing, writing . . .

I have seen some of his approach to his situation. I have seen him as described above. He is clearly moving on beyond the past to the future and without casting blame on the Church and its leadership.

Gregory

• Administrators

Quote:
The bottom line, when I heard him for myself, I realized that he has a deeply social agenda. Not like Christ's concern for the disenfranchised, but in a very political way. For example, when he spoke at my church, he lectured on workers' rights and how our materialism is polluting the environment. Sounds good, right? Hold on. Not one bible text was mentioned, not one. Not one example of Christ was mentioned, not one. And the main push was that workers need more rights, better wages, healthcare, etc. NOTHING about salvation, or alleviating suffering of the soul.

what you are saying about the social gospel rings very clear with Ryan's statement below from this website

NY Times , churches send Lenten messages

Quote:
“To right the wrongs of the world is as much a part of the Lenten experience as to repent ourselves,” Mr. Bell, 40, the pastor of Hollywood Adventist Church near Los Angeles said in a phone interview this week. “During this season, when we individually are examining our lives, we think it’s appropriate for the institutions that affect us to examine theirs.”

we can step into another stream of social causes and lose out focus and our mission.

Jesus did much to address oppression, but he also held himself aloof from many social causes.

this thread is a great place to discuss this issue.

Isaiah 58 is an outcry against Christians being socially oppressive while asking God's favor, and God tells them what the true fast is.

we are to satisfy the afflicted soul, and we do this without becoming embroiled in politics?

deb

Love awakens love.

Let God be true and every man a liar.

• Moderators

Quote:
we can step into another stream of social causes and lose out focus and our mission.

God may give that mission to some.

If so, that does not mean that the person given that mission by God should remain a denominational clergyperson.

God works on earth through people who are not clergy.

God gives some missions to people who are not denominational employees.

Quote:
we are to satisfy the afflicted soul, and we do this without becoming embroiled in politics?

Again, God may call some people into politics.

If so, that does not mean that the person called by God into politics should remain a denominational clergyperson.

As you probably know, we have had SDAs elected to the United States Congress.

Gregory

• Administrators

Quote:
Again, God may call some people into politics.

If so, that does not mean that the person called by God into politics should remain a denominational clergy person.

As you probably know, we have had SDAs elected to the United States Congress.

i understand that we can lose our way while we are serving as a missionary, a pastor, a social activist or a mother or father, professional or homeless citizen.

whatever we are doing whoever we are God calls us to be his, and to be alive to God and to serve him where ever we are when we are called.

i think it may be easier to lose our way when we are encased in religion, and the practicing of religion. it is so easy to believe we are OK with God when we believe all our behaviors are lining up just right in our own eyes, and we cannot see into our heart. "the heart is deceitful above all things who can know it?" no one.

this also goes for when we do all the feel good social activism too, there is also a danger there to become self satisfied in that too. i am sure this is more for some then for others.

deb

Love awakens love.

Let God be true and every man a liar.

Quote:
i think it may be easier to lose our way when we are encased in religion, and the practicing of religion. it is so easy to believe we are OK with God when we believe all our behaviors are lining up just right in our own eyes, and we cannot see into our heart. "the heart is deceitful above all things who can know it?" no one.

:like:

Quote:

I'm sure you meant "no one but Jesus". The question is not whether I have or am living up to all the light that is available to me, but am I willing to believe all of the promises He is willing to reveal and work out in me, for His glory?

"My Father, Who has given them to Me, is greater and mightier than all [else]; and no one is able to snatch [them] out of the Father’s hand."John 10:29 AMP

brackets their's LHC

It is often the case, one thinks God can choose a better path for me/them "if He would just listen to what I have to tell Him", rather than "Make me love as You love Father, and then having confidence He is working out His will, even when the guillotine is falling toward our neck.

God cares! Jesus saves! peace

Lift Jesus up!!

Quote:

I have seen some of his approach to his situation. I have seen him as described above. He is clearly moving on beyond the past to the future and without casting blame on the Church and its leadership.

If he is moving away from the Word, he is building his house upon the sand, whether casting blame or not.

And no marvel; for Satan himself is transformed into an angel of light.2 Corinthians 11:14 KJV

Jesus cares! God saves! peace

Lift Jesus up!!

Originally Posted By: RLH

I agree with that. :))

Richard agreeable.

G [/quote']

And his brother also.

God saves! Jesus cares! peace

Lift Jesus up!!

Quote:

If he is moving away from the Word, he is building his house upon the sand, whether casting blame or not.

And no marvel; for Satan himself is transformed into an angel of light.2 Corinthians 11:14 KJV

Jesus cares! God saves! peace

Thanks LC.

"And they that are Christ's have crucified the flesh with the affections and lusts. If we live in the Spirit, let us also walk in the Spirit."

Quote:
Thanks LC.

"And they that are Christ's have crucified the flesh with the affections and lusts. If we live in the Spirit, let us also walk in the Spirit."

My pleasure. Besides I understand there are magnificent rewards for those who comfort the afflicted. giggle

God cares! Jesus saves! peace

Lift Jesus up!!

• 1 month later...

Quote:
An open letter to friends and church family

Eight years ago my family and I moved to Hollywood to begin what has become the most rewarding and inspiring chapter of our lives. Our family has thrived in this urban, spiritual community commited to peace, love and justice.

Sadly, this phase of this experiment is coming to an end. This Sabbath will be my last Sabbath as the Pastor of the Hollywood Adventist Church. Hours and hours of conversations have led to this point but here is the short version.

Some of the leadership decisions I have made have led the Southern California Conference administration to the conclusion that they cannot trust me to lead this church as a Seventh-day Adventist Church. They have graciously acknowledged my creativity and passion for the community we serve. They have acknowledged that the church is known in the community for its good work whereas before it was less known. But they feel that my leadership has led our church outside the accepted framework of Seventh-day Adventism. We have not been able come to an understanding about these things and so my denominational employment will end on or about April 1, 2013.

This turn of events breaks my heart. I have served the Seventh-day Adventist Church imperfectly for 19 years. It is the only thing I have done since graduating with my Bachelors Degree from Weimar College when I was 22 years old. But sometimes people grow in ways that are incompatible with the institutions they have been a part of.

I am beyond grateful to have served the Hollywood Adventist Church for the past 8 years. We have built an authentic community which is diverse in every way: young and older...and now children!, multi-ethnic, poor and middle-class, gay and straight, artists, business people, teachers and civic servants.

While I will be leaving paid pastoral ministry, I am not angry with the Seventh-day Adventist Church. This denomination has given me my whole career and most of my education. I have been able to do the things I have done because the church has supported me. For that I remain grateful. I wish her only the best and I believe that there are many signs of hope within the denomination including the advances in Women's Ordination. At the same time there are signs of calcification and retrenching that cause me deep concern.

My future is not yet clear, but I am hopeful and confident in God's leadership. Please keep my family and me in your prayers as we make this difficult transition. We have no plans to move at this point, so we will be in Los Angeles for the foreseeable future.

Do not lose faith. And when you do, cling to hope. And when hope fades, resort to love.

Now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love. —1 Cor 13:13

I think when most people think of Ryan Bell, they think of someone who is the voice of the marginalized and the broken, someone who is an advocate for those who are not able to stand up for themselves. I pray that this unwanted move will be a HUGE step in expanding this ministry to the weak wounded and the weary. I read of a man who took this action 2000 years ago, did not end well for him, but provided salvation for the rest of us.

Press Forward

CLAP CLAP CLAP CLAP CLAP A person, a minister who has the guts to question and stick to his values in God.

Psalms19:12-14 Lord my saviour