ClubAdventist is back!

Dr. Carson Banned from a Commencement Speech?

Dr. Ben Carson, liberals and the fear of success

By Cal Thomas

Published April 02, 2013

There are many successful liberals, so why do so many of them wish to subsidize failure for the poor, instead of showing them how to succeed?

Take Dr. Ben Carson, as one example. Dr. Carson, the renowned neurosurgeon at Johns Hopkins Hospital in Baltimore, Md., is enjoying a certain amount of celebrity unrelated to his profession for speaking his mind about how individuals and the nation might succeed if more Americans were less dependent on government.

Dr. Carson, who is African-American, has been denounced as insufficiently black because he won't toe the liberal line when it comes to big government and the implication that those in the African-American voting bloc, huge supporters of the Democratic Party, who fall below the poverty line, cannot succeed without it. The fact that many have not succeeded with government has apparently escaped the notice of his critics.

All whites don't think alike, why should all African-Americans be expected to?

Speaking with Megyn Kelly on Fox News' "America Live" last week, Dr. Carson addressed some of the slurs tossed at him, saying they are what you might expect to hear "on a third grade playground." He appealed to his detractors to "move beyond" such rhetoric "and let's have a real discussion about the real facts. If somebody disagrees, let's talk about why they disagree, let's talk about the pros and cons, let's see if we can find some accommodation."

That is precisely what the left does not want to do, because to have such a discussion would expose liberalism's failure to solve the problems of poverty and education -- to cite just two examples -- through government.

MSNBC's Toure Monday has called Dr. Carson a token "black friend" to the Republican Party. I don't recall Carson ever saying he belongs to the Republican Party, do you? Even so, labels should not define the man. What Carson is saying and what he represents ought to be the beginning point for the discussion he is trying to initiate.

Dr. Carson dismissed one suggestion he might be an "Uncle Tom" this way: "Well, obviously they don't know what an Uncle Tom is because they need to read Harriet Beecher Stowe's novel 'Uncle Tom's Cabin.' You'll see that he was very, very subservient, kind of go along to get along type of person. Obviously, that's not what I'm doing."

Obviously.

In the Kelly interview, Dr. Carson hit his main point about liberal reaction on subjects ranging from ObamaCare to higher taxes: "They feel that if you look a certain way then you have to stay on the plantation."

Isn't such a personal attack also a form of racism? All whites don't think alike, why should all African-Americans be expected to?

If government were the solution and not the problem, shouldn't we expect that the amount of money spent on anti-poverty programs -- $15 trillion since 1964, according to a CATO Institute analysis -- might have moved the needle on poverty? Instead there are nearly as many poor people today as there were 49 years ago. According to the Wall Street Journal, "Enrollment in the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program, as the modern-day food-stamp benefit is known, has soared 70 percent since 2008 to a record 47.8 million as of December 2012." Government as solution isn't working and Dr. Carson wants to discuss why. For this he is attacked?

The nightmare for liberals would be if Ben Carson became a role model for the poor instead of a target. If more of the poor had mothers like his (and maybe active fathers, which he didn't have), who focused on reading and discipline, more might grow up to be like him. They might reject the lie that they are incapable of succeeding because of their circumstances.

In addition to Carson's remarks about government dependency, he is also under attack for his unorthodox positions on same-sex marriage and evolution, which the National Review online reports has led to a petition being circulated at Johns Hopkins Medical School asking that he be disinvited as commencement speaker. That would add censorship to racism.

The late newsman David Brinkley said, "A successful man is one who can lay a firm foundation with the bricks others have thrown at him."

By that standard, Dr. Ben Carson is building a mansion.

Everything you do is based on the choices you make. It's not your parents, your past relationships, your job, the economy, the weather, an argument, or your age that is to blame. You and only you are responsible for every decision and choice you make, period ... ... Wish more people would realize this.

Quotes by Susan Gottesman

• Moderators

A ghetto is neither white,black or hispanic or maybe you didn't know that

Ok Bonnie.

Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocrities. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence.

Einstein

A ghetto is neither white,black or hispanic or maybe you didn't know that

Ok Bonnie.

What a world you live in. A ghetto is not reserved,made or developed for a specific skin color.

It includes people of any skin color

projects; run down homes or parts of towns or cities

you live in the ghetto

Everything you do is based on the choices you make. It's not your parents, your past relationships, your job, the economy, the weather, an argument, or your age that is to blame. You and only you are responsible for every decision and choice you make, period ... ... Wish more people would realize this.

• Moderators

Perhaps the least intelligent remark I have read in this thread. Let's see some evidence of that. You are showing yourself to be long on accusation, speculation, and gossip, and extremely short on backing it up with evidence.

Regards,

That's interesting. Despite the veneer, I feel you have bought into the Tea Party line on pretty much everything, which is rather sad. I thought there was more since you seems present as a man of broad experience and intelligence. In the past you accuse me of repeating things from Huff Po but then your responses are out of the Tea Party playbook. You could have rearranged the words a bit!

I said:

Quote:
The conservative clubs sure has a lot of benefits. Defense of the indefensible.

You said:

Quote:
??? Sounds like just another one of your accusatory remarks with no evidence.

Well, the evidence that Herman Cain was indefensible was that he dropped out of the race. He was asked to drop out of the race. Even the Tea Party could not defend him but you are continuing to defend the indefensible.

I can't help it if the evidence can't be seen.

If you will deny the fact that Sarah Palin has said dumb stuff and then blame it on Tina Fey then you will deny any amount of evidence as long it does not reinforce your current position.

What I find most intriguing is that the party of personal responsibility spends so much time blaming the media and even the American people for their inability to be electorally successful.

If Carson eventually retreats to private life removes himself from the media glare then of course it will be everybody fault but his.

Could it be that conservatives the conservative movement is nearly not so expansive, smart or native in the United States as you may think it is. Furthermore, perhaps its more ethnic/cultural rather than a political and intellectual. fro3

Condi rice torn up? Condi's approval among AA was about 41% and remained relatively close to that during the whole of Bush's presidency. The damage to reputation or standing comes primarily from her connection with Bush policies. Despite being a conservative republican she is well regarded by AA. In June 2012 she had a 58% favorability rating among African Americans.

What figures do you have?

Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocrities. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence.

Einstein

Well, the evidence that Herman Cain was indefensible was that he dropped out of the race. He was asked to drop out of the race. Even the Tea Party could not defend him but you are continuing to defend the indefensible.

• Moderators

Just how many race cards do you have.

Einstein

Probably not as many as you have played and continue to play.

Kind of humorous you have to admit.

Bill Cosby is cheered while Dr Carson is ridiculed for speaking along the same lines.One was "captured" by the Tea Party and the other a independent thinker. I admit I don't understand that and am waiting for a liberal to explain.Could it be that Dr Carson captured more media attention and that had to be scorned while Bill Cosby is seen as relatively harmless on the political scene?

Herman Cain was indefensible against allegations,no proof. Bill Clinton and others are looked up to for having the moral compass of a tomcat.

MLK is a hero to many and yet he plagerized and was a womanizer.

What is indefensible to a liberal is conservatism.

• Moderators

So what's the difference between Bill Cosby and Carson? Why do I prefer one over the other? Guess.

Einstein

So what's the difference between Bill Cosby and Carson? Why do I prefer one over the other? Guess.

I have already stated why I believe you prefer Bill Cosby.

Could it be that Dr Carson captured more media attention and that had to be scorned while Bill Cosby is seen as relatively harmless on the political scene?

Bill Cosby,while famous does not carry the same impact with the same message that Dr .Carson did.Nor have republicans or conservatives applauded it as vocally. Meaning of course the hated Tea Party could not be blamed,even stretching credibility as only a liberal can do.

Initially he was called the same tolerant liberal loving names

as Dr .Carson.Seems liberals have a fondness for that.

BTW,Have never heard you be specific in your condemnation and scorn of the Tea Party as that also follows fairly closely with what both of these men have said

I grew up listening to Bill Cosby doing his routines...on LP records. Whole family loved him.

Both Bill and Ben have the same messages for the black community; both have been panned and attacked for not toting the proper black attitude.

I am surprised you actually prefer one, Laz, because neither one identifies with the ol' blame whitey hatred the Left has decreed to be "proper attitude".

Regards,

"As iron sharpens iron, so also does one man sharpen another" - Proverbs 27:17

"The offense of the cross is that the cross is a confession of human frailty and sin and of inability to do any good thing. To take the cross of Christ means to depend solely on Him for everything, and this is the abasement of all human pride. Men love to fancy themselves independent. But let the cross be preached, let it be made known that in man dwells no good thing and that all must be received as a gift, and straightway someone is offended." Ellet J. Waggoner, The Glad Tidings

"Courage is being scared to death - and saddling up anyway" - John Wayne

"The person who pays an ounce of principle for a pound of popularity gets badly cheated" - Ronald Reagan

• Moderators

I am surprised you actually prefer one, Laz, because neither one identifies with the ol' blame whitey hatred the Left has decreed to be "proper attitude".

Regards,

Is Cosby blaming whitey here? Do you agree with this?

Speaking about the state of the Union...

“To see people sitting down and then they there are others standing and cheering. I don’t think it’s difficult believe. I think that we have people sitting there who are as bad as the people who were against any kind of desegregation.”

"It's also interesting that this Republican Party is not the Republican Party of 1863, of Abraham Lincoln, abolitionists and slavery, is not good. I think it's important for us to look at the underlying part of it. What is the value of it? Is it that some people are angry because my people no longer want to work for free?"

Racism and Obama:

I agree with President Carter that racism is playing a role in recent outbursts against President Obama.

In "Birth of a Nation," D.W. Griffith used white actors in black face to portray black legislators as having low intelligence and acting like fools. Today, we have a band of real life congressional fools seemingly bent on blocking any meaningful reform of the health care system. But if we allow even one American to die simply because he or she cannot afford treatment, we are creating a shameful scenario that could aptly be called “Death of a Nation.”

Einstein

"It's also interesting that this Republican Party is not the Republican Party of 1863, of Abraham Lincoln, abolitionists and slavery, is not good.

And you think that the Democrat party is the same as what it was back in 1863? Or even 1963? NOpe, it isn't. JFK was the last decent Democrat, one who actually cared about his country. Back in 1863 your Democrats were the ones hanging the blacks. Back in the early '60s, it was your Democrats who fought tooth and nail against equality for the blacks. Then came LBJ and they finally figured out that if they gave away the country to the blacks they could have their votes and that is just what they started doing. Do you honestly think that LBJ thought well of the blacks? LOLOLOL Only a fool would. I was alive back then and he hated them with a passion, but he was willing to do anything for politics. He was the beginning of the end of the real Democrat party.

Don't talk about things you really don't seem to understand or know about.

"It's also interesting that this Republican Party is not the Republican Party of 1863, of Abraham Lincoln, abolitionists and slavery, is not good. I think it's important for us to look at the underlying part of it. What is the value of it? Is it that some people are angry because my people no longer want to work for free?"

• Administrators

Quote:

Don't talk about things you really don't seem to understand or know about.

Since when has that ever stopped anyone on any of these forums and especially on this particular forum?

I have found that all too often it is those that are the least well informed that seem to have the most to say.

"Absurdity reigns and confusion makes it look good."

"Sinless perfection is such a shallow goal."

"I love God only as much as the person I love the least."

*Forgiveness is always good news. And that is the gospel truth.

(And finally, the ideas expressed above are solely my person views and not that of any organization with which I am associated.)

Coming from one of the least intelligent,successful presidencies that is almost gospel.

What does he consider the reaction by the left to Dr Carson?Respectful?

Yeah, and the left's hero, FDR, found it to be one of his favorite movies. There's the Democrats for you.

As to what I bolded above, Carter's reaction is choice coming from a racist like he is. He's an anti-Semite through and through.

Liberty cannot be established without morality, nor morality without faith.
Alexis de Tocqueville

Since when has that ever stopped anyone on any of these forums and especially on this particular forum?

I have found that all too often it is those that are the least well informed that seem to have the most to say.

The least well informed according to whom,Liberals?

• Members

As to what I bolded above, Carter's reaction is choice coming from a racist like he is. He's an anti-Semite through and through.

And you know this how?? Myself being of Jewish descent, know for a fact that President Carter is not anti-semitic! I disagree with him on this issue, but I do admire him for standing up for what he believes and not like all the other Christian leaders that are behind the Jewish nation only because they seem to believe that the Jews are going to rebuild the temple, pretty sad.

phkrause

By the decree enforcing the institution of the papacy in violation of the law of God, our nation will disconnect herself fully from righteousness. When Protestantism shall stretch her hand across the gulf to grasp the hand of the Roman power, when she shall reach over the abyss to clasp hands with spiritualism, when, under the influence of this threefold union, our country shall repudiate every principle of its Constitution as a Protestant and republican government, and shall make provision for the propagation of papal falsehoods and delusions, then we may know that the time has come for the marvelous working of Satan and that the end is near. {5T 451.1}

Originally Posted By: joeb

And you know this how?? Myself being of Jewish descent, know for a fact that President Carter is not anti-semitic! I disagree with him on this issue, but I do admire him for standing up for what he believes and not like all the other Christian leaders that are behind the Jewish nation only because they seem to believe that the Jews are going to rebuild the temple, pretty sad.

Carter has called into question both the legitimacy and the right of the State of Isreal to continue its existence. At the same time he supports the existence and legitimacy of terrorist organizations that call for the extermination of Isreal. If that isn't anti-Semitism I don't know what is.

Liberty cannot be established without morality, nor morality without faith.
Alexis de Tocqueville

• Members

Carter has called into question both the legitimacy and the right of the State of Isreal to continue its existence.
Yes I know that and so do all my family and the rest of Judaism. He has the right to believe what he wants. I might disagree with him, but he has that right.

Originally Posted By: joeb
At the same time he supports the existence and legitimacy of terrorist organizations that call for the extermination of Isreal. If that isn't anti-Semitism I don't know what is.
I want to see the words where he says that! I know for a fact that he believes that the Palestinians have a right to the land, and as far as I know that doesn't transfer to anti-semitism.

phkrause

By the decree enforcing the institution of the papacy in violation of the law of God, our nation will disconnect herself fully from righteousness. When Protestantism shall stretch her hand across the gulf to grasp the hand of the Roman power, when she shall reach over the abyss to clasp hands with spiritualism, when, under the influence of this threefold union, our country shall repudiate every principle of its Constitution as a Protestant and republican government, and shall make provision for the propagation of papal falsehoods and delusions, then we may know that the time has come for the marvelous working of Satan and that the end is near. {5T 451.1}

• Moderators

LOL, you guys are funny. Y'all totally ignored the point. Of course you like the harsh words Cosby has for black folk but seem to totally miss what he says about the GOP.

Einstein

• Members

LOL, you guys are funny. Y'all totally ignored the point. Of course you like the harsh words Cosby has for black folk but seem to totally miss what he says about the GOP.

Exactly, and actually he's been saying those things about Blacks way before Carter had his say. And yes he has lots to say about the GOP also.

phkrause

I know this is tough for you to grasp for some reason. While Bill Cosby was addressing black folks,what he said should be taken to heart by all,regardless of skin color.It is not a black problem,a white problem or hispanic.The behavior being referred to is equal opportunity.

It may be obvious to some why a black man would single out this behavior in blacks and have concern for it. Also not very PC coming from a famous black person

Again,can you understand that most conservatives are not all that fond of the republican party? They are simply liberals in disguise.

• Moderators

So do you think Cosby was blaming whitey in the quotes I posted?

Einstein

So do you think Cosby was blaming whitey in the quotes I posted?

I am not going back and search to see what you quoted.Restate