ClubAdventist is back!

Use of Tongues in SDA meetings?

Sojourner

Quote:
using emotions to gauge your walk with Christ is dangerous ground

Really? Are you married? Do you use your emotions to gauge your passion for your wife and kids? Do they use emotion when expressing how they feel about their relationship with you? When you make love, do you express passion? My answer to those questions is yes. Why can't I be emotional and passionate when gauging my relationship with Christ?

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• BobRyan

• JoeMo

• olger

• Textus Receptus

Quote:
using emotions to gauge your walk with Christ is dangerous ground

Really? Are you married? Do you use your emotions to gauge your passion for your wife and kids? Do they use emotion when expressing how they feel about their relationship with you? When you make love, do you express passion? My answer to those questions is yes. Why can't I be emotional and passionate when gauging my relationship with Christ?

Let's be fare JoMo, you are speaking about tongues not emotions. I can be just as emotional about Christ witout obtaining a super natural physical manifestation to validate my walk with God.

Yes, I am married, married to someone who cameout of tongue speaking church. We hardly breakout in a full blown speaking in tongues session when we express our love for one another.

What of the other things I mentioned?

The counsel from Sister White is that we should not rely on or use feelings to determine truth from error, or to determine doctrine. Come let us REASON together is how the bible says it.

Even the feeling of sincereity can be a deception. As has been noted before, the suicide bomber is very sincere! We can't trust our eyes, our ears, our feelings, or base doctrine on how Godly the speaker (Pastor, Evangelist, Sabbath School teacher, Father, Mother, etc.) appears to be. We can't base it on miracles. Paul warned us that some even wrest the scriptures to their own destruction!

Deception, delusion, are very powerful tools of the devil. So powerful that if possible, even the very elect will be fooled.

When Satan came to Jesus, at the end of his forty day fast and near death, Jesus did NOT KNOW who this lovely, apparently heavenly, being was that was approaching Him. He did not know until this lovely being spake, "IF thou be the Son of God..."

I love the feeling I get on occasion when our Lord does something profound for me, it fills my heart with joy and love. A sunset perhaps, or a rainbow. Or seeing someone else receive a blessing. Seeing a person in need brings the feelings of sympathy. There is certainly a place for feelings but not to determine doctrine, truth or error.

• Members

Yes, I am married, married to someone who cameout of tongue speaking church. We hardly breakout in a full blown speaking in tongues session when we express our love for one another.

ROFLROFLROFL

(sorry, that just struck my funny bone too hard!)

Pam     coffeecomputer.GIF   

Meddle Not In the Affairs of Dragons; for You Are Crunchy and Taste Good with Ketchup.

If we all sang the same note in the choir, there'd never be any harmony.

Funny, isn't it, how we accept Grace for ourselves and demand justice for others?

• Administrators

Yeah, don't try to visualize that.

Isaiah 32:17 And the work of righteousness shall be peace; and the effect of righteousness quietness and assurance for ever.

• Administrators

between Pam and Gails post...

involuntary explosion of giggles ensued.

an emotional moment,

titter titter

deb

Love awakens love.

Let God be true and every man a liar.

• Administrators

between Pam and Gails post...

involuntary explosion of giggles ensued.

an emotional moment,

titter titter

Seldom do I enjoy a really good emotional laugh on C/A ... Thanks!!!

{and, yes I did try to visualize it}

LOLLOLROFLROFLrollingsmile

If your dreams are not big enough to scare you, they are not big enough for God

sojouner,

this guy on this video did not speak in tongues, it is a drama ploy to even suggest this.

glossolalia as practiced in modern Christianity has nothing to do with spreading the gospel in many different tongues, and is a utterance performed by many kinds of religious and spiritualistic groups.

Paul admonitioned, "hold fast the form of sound words."

Are you sure that he was not speaking in tongues? - You could fully understand the words that we was saying? - I spent over eight years being a member of a very heavily Pentecostal church, I am well aware of what speaking in tongues sounds like and how its practiced and what I heard from Barry Black is the same and indicative of what my Pastor would also do from the pulpit in the same situation.

Again I am not anti Speaking in Tongues or any other Spiritual Gift when they are used in the way that Scripture commands. If Barry Black wishes to speak in tongues in that manner he is very much free to do so. I don't see SDA's being Cessationist like the Independent Fundamentalist Baptist group or the Presbyterians for example.

Originally Posted By: Textus Receptus
Anyone with a logical understanding of the magnifinces of God will know that speaking in tongues is rubbish.

Certainly that is true of the fake tongues.

in Christ,

Bob

Fake:

speaking-in-tongues.jpg

"Please don't feed the drama queens.."

This discussion is interesting; but keeping it real, aren't we debating a non-salvational issue here? Kinda like the debate over Christians celebrating Christmas and Easter because of their alleged pagan origins or the "8th day"?

There are fundamentals to our faith (e.g., Jesus is the Son of God, we are saved by grace through faith, etc.). Fundamentals are definitely worthy of passionate debate. Things like tongues, the exact chronology and timing of end-time events, who is resurrected when, etc. are "incidentals" to our faith. If I believe that God gave me a private prayer language for me to enjoy, or that I actually "hear" God's voice sometimes, is that gonna adversely affect my salvation? If you believe differently on the "incidentals", does that impact your salvation? I think not. Fun and educational to discuss, but they should not be divisive issues.