ClubAdventist is back!

Americans Fear Government More Than Terror

Americans Fear Government More Than Terror

Astonishing poll results for 1st time since 9/11 hijackings

According to a pair of recent polls, for the first time since the 9/11 terrorist hijackings, Americans are more fearful their government will abuse constitutional liberties than fail to keep its citizens safe.

Even in the wake of the April 15 Boston Marathon bombing – in which a pair of Islamic radicals are accused of planting explosives that took the lives of 3 and wounded over 280 – the polls suggest Americans are hesitant to give up any further freedoms in exchange for increased “security.”

A Fox News survey polling a random national sample of 619 registered voters the day after the bombing found despite the tragic event, those interviewed responded very differently than following 9/11.

For the first time since a similar question was asked in May 2001, more Americans answered “no” to the question, “Would you be willing to give up some of your personal freedom in order to reduce the threat of terrorism?”

Of those surveyed on April 16, 2013, 45 percent answered no to the question, compared to 43 percent answering yes.

In May 2001, before 9/11, the balance was similar, with 40 percent answering no to 33 percent answering yes.

But following the terrorist attacks of 9/11, the numbers flipped dramatically, to 71 percent agreeing to sacrifice personal freedom to reduce the threat of terrorism.

Subsequent polls asking the same question in 2002, 2005 and 2006 found Americans consistently willing to give up freedom in exchange for security. Yet the numbers were declining from 71 percent following 9/11 to only 54 percent by May 2006.

Now, it would seem, the famous quote widely attributed to Benjamin Franklin – “They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety” – is holding more sway with Americans than it has in over a dozen years.

A similar poll sampling 588 adults, conducted on April 17 and 18 for the Washington Post, also discovered the change in attitude.

“Which worries you more,” the Post asked, “that the government will not go far enough to investigate terrorism because of concerns about constitutional rights, or that it will go too far in compromising constitutional rights in order to investigate terrorism?”

The poll found 48 percent of respondents worry the government will go too far, compared to 41 percent who worry it won’t go far enough.

And similar to the Fox News poll, the Post found the worry to be a fresh development, as only 44 percent worried the government would go too far in January 2006 and only 27 percent worried the government would go too far in January 2010.

The Fox News poll was unique in that it further broke the responses down by political affiliation:

Bucking the trend, 51 percent of Democrats responded they would give up personal freedom to reduce the threat of terror, compared to 36 percent opposed.

Forty-seven percent of Republicans, on the other hand, opposed giving up freedoms, compared to only 43 percent in favor.

Yet independents were the most resistant, with only 29 percent willing to sacrifice freedom, while 58 percent stood opposed.

Everything you do is based on the choices you make. It's not your parents, your past relationships, your job, the economy, the weather, an argument, or your age that is to blame. You and only you are responsible for every decision and choice you make, period ... ... Wish more people would realize this.

Quotes by Susan Gottesman

Americans fear government more than terror. With good reason.

Liberty cannot be established without morality, nor morality without faith.
Alexis de Tocqueville

Americans fear government more than terror. With good reason.

Our government is terror and many other things, but I won't get into that. There are far too many that believe that the government is there to help them. LOLOLOL

• Moderators

Our government is terror and many other things, but I won't get into that. There are far too many that believe that the government is there to help them.

Your government is terror? really? terror?

What happens when you call 911 in your neighborhood? Do they not turn up?

Some people are able to survive because of a social security check. We may criticize them for not making adequate preparation but for them its a blessing.

When was the last time a passenger plane crashed in the USA?

They caught the bombers I think.

The roads are quite good in my state.

I have a hard working church member who is looking after his four grand-children. He is grateful for the help he gets from the county.

My wife works at a school for autistic kids. I wonder who provides the assisted technology?

Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocrities. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence.

Einstein

Originally Posted By: OzarkWoman

Our government is terror and many other things, but I won't get into that. There are far too many that believe that the government is there to help them.

Some people are able to survive because of a social security check. We may criticize them for not making adequate preparation but for them its a blessing.

I have a hard working church member who is looking after his four grand-children. He is grateful for the help he gets from the county.

My wife works at a school for autistic kids. I wonder who provides the assisted technology?

Next time try replying on topic. But, you did reply via normal liberal response.

Quote:

911 is funded by taxpayers.The government does not fund anything.

Social Security checks are a return of what taxpayers have paid in.Not a benevolent gift by a all caring government.

Great way to get a slush fund to tap into

Quote:

The government paid for that how? Where does there income originate

Quote:

A legitimate function of any government.Protection and infrastructure

Quote:
The county is simply a third party,not a benevolent agency giving of it's own funds

What so many are beginning to wake up to is the fact that "when government gives "gifts or help",government can take it away as easily.

As more and more of the belief of the "free lunch" recedes the more people are going to fear they will be next

Everything you do is based on the choices you make. It's not your parents, your past relationships, your job, the economy, the weather, an argument, or your age that is to blame. You and only you are responsible for every decision and choice you make, period ... ... Wish more people would realize this.

• Moderators

Not talking about funding, talking about terror. Is the 911 service terror?

Quote:
Social Security checks are a return of what taxpayers have paid in.Not a benevolent gift by a all caring government.

Government administers this. Is that terror?

Quote:

The FAA manages air trafic control and safety regulations. Is this terror?

Quote:

Do those functions help anybody in society?

Quote:

The county is simply a third party,not a benevolent agency giving of it's own funds

Not talking about funding just talking about the work government does. Many county governments do good work, and do not terrorize people.

Quote:
What so many are beginning to wake up to is the fact that "when government gives "gifts or help",government can take it away as easily.

That applies to corporations too. There are no jobs for life.

Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocrities. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence.

Einstein

Originally Posted By: bonnie

Not talking about funding, talking about terror. Is the 911 service terror?

Quote:

Government administers this. Is that terror?

Quote:

The FAA manages air trafic control and safety regulations. Is this terror?

Quote:

Do those functions help anybody in society?

Quote:

Not talking about funding just talking about the work government does. Many county governments do good work, and do not terrorize people.

Quote:

That applies to corporations too. There are no jobs for life.

Your getting a bit off track again.The title of the article was fearing government more than "terror"

Nor has anyone said that there are not some good results from government.

Corporations have nothing to do with this.They don't grant "rights'. A job is not guaranteed for life,alto many people seem to think so.

You have a right to a salary from a corporation as long as you perform and the company deems you necessary to their profit margin.

The government takes from the taxpayer and decides in their many times questionable wisdom how and to who it is best distributed to.

"As iron sharpens iron, so also does one man sharpen another" - Proverbs 27:17

"The offense of the cross is that the cross is a confession of human frailty and sin and of inability to do any good thing. To take the cross of Christ means to depend solely on Him for everything, and this is the abasement of all human pride. Men love to fancy themselves independent. But let the cross be preached, let it be made known that in man dwells no good thing and that all must be received as a gift, and straightway someone is offended." Ellet J. Waggoner, The Glad Tidings

"Courage is being scared to death - and saddling up anyway" - John Wayne

"The person who pays an ounce of principle for a pound of popularity gets badly cheated" - Ronald Reagan

• Moderators

Quote:
Considering what the government is doing to the American nation and society, many people have come to that conclusion.

Government certainly isn't perfect but hardly a terror. Inefficient, slow, dysfunctional perhaps but a terror? Ted, weren't you saying something about Europeans saying negative things about America? does this mean you agree with those who say the US is a terrorist state?

Einstein

Government certainly isn't perfect but hardly a terror. Inefficient, slow, dysfunctional perhaps but a terror? Ted, weren't you saying something about Europeans saying negative things about America? does this mean you agree with those who say the US is a terrorist state?

Why do you address something that was not said?

Fearing government more than terror attacks is not saying the US is a terrorist state.I know that fits your definition but try to stay a little on target.

According to a pair of recent polls, for the first time since the 9/11 terrorist hijackings, Americans are more fearful their government will abuse constitutional liberties than fail to keep its citizens safe.

Even in the wake of the April 15 Boston Marathon bombing – in which a pair of Islamic radicals are accused of planting explosives that took the lives of 3 and wounded over 280 – the polls suggest Americans are hesitant to give up any further freedoms in exchange for increased “security.”

For the first time since a similar question was asked in May 2001, more Americans answered “no” to the question, “Would you be willing to give up some of your personal freedom in order to reduce the threat of terrorism?”

• Moderators

Why do you address something that was not said?

Perhaps you missed it "our governement is terror" was said.

Since 911 the majority population has discovered that the government can abrogate their freedoms too!

Einstein

Since 911 the majority population has discovered that the government can abrogate their freedoms too!

The main thrust of the article was losing our constitutional freedoms in order to feel more secure.

Seems the dems/libs are willing to give up more freedoms for a false sense of security.

Bit by bit

No,I did not miss OW's comment. I will let her explain what she meant.

I am referring to the article and the poll taken and I believe you know that.

The government is day by day chipping away under the pretext of "what is good for the nation".

While it has happened in the past under different administrations Obama is doing so on steroids. What was taken with a grain of salt by some in years past,while ridiculing those that would warn of things to come,it is only the past few years that more and more are becoming alarmed.

A little to little and a little to late

Perhaps you don't understand the English language. Calling someone or something a terror is not the same thing as a terrorist state. Please learn the English labguage before misstating what it was I posted.

Perhaps you don't understand the English language. Calling someone or something a terror is not the same thing as a terrorist state. Please learn the English labguage before misstating what it was I posted.

Playing with what has been said like a child with silly putty is half the fun

• Moderators

Lets see: the government is a terror, the government is a state, our government is a state that is a terror. A terrorist state.

Einstein

• Moderators

Please learn the English labguage before misstating what it was I posted.

giggle

Einstein

• Moderators

While it has happened in the past under different administrations Obama is doing so on steroids. What was taken with a grain of salt by some in years past,while ridiculing those that would warn of things to come,it is only the past few years that more and more are becoming alarmed.

A little to little and a little to late

What is worse than the suspension of Habius Corpus, torture and indefinite detention of American citizens?

Einstein

Lets see: the government is a terror, the government is a state, our government is a state that is a terror. A terrorist state.

hmmmmm Did you graduate high school? Sorry, but your reasoning is wrong, but then, you are a progressive and make rationallazations for everything you agree with. If I were you, I would quit while you are ahead, or I can send you a bigger shovel!!!

Please learn the English labguage before misstating what it was I posted.

giggle

Now, because you have nothing, you worry about typos. It figures little man.

What is worse than the suspension of Habius Corpus, torture and indefinite detention of American citizens?

This is a favorite game of yours. Maybe this is the way you view life.

Not sure why you look at one wrong and then try to determine if it is worse or as bad as another wrong you can bring up.

What you have asked doesn't have anything to do with the fact "That more and more americans are beginning to see the danger in accepting everything because of "terrorism"

The Patriot act,as wrong as that was had at least a little rational for people to accept following 9/11.Something that had not been dealt with before and people were willing to accept to feel safer.

Now it is on steroids by the very president that found wrong in everything Bush did.

He is the one that should have put a stop to a lot of this if his hot air against Bush had any substance.

As usual it didn't.

So maybe you can stop grading wrongs/sins and deal with one at a time

• Moderators

hmmmmm Did you graduate high school? Sorry, but your reasoning is wrong, but then, you are a progressive and make rationallazations for everything you agree with. If I were you, I would quit while you are ahead, or I can send you a bigger shovel!!!

A good point beats an insult every time!

Einstein

• Moderators

Not sure why you look at one wrong and then try to determine if it is worse or as bad as another wrong you can bring up.

You're the one talking about Obama on steriods. I'm challenging that assertion.

Einstein

Originally Posted By: bonnie

You're the one talking about Obama on steriods. I'm challenging that assertion.

And you are the one who is making rationalzations for all of the freedoms and rights taken from the citizens of this country over at least the last 100 years.